IMG_9692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9689 (resized).jpeg
Jaws-smile-for-a-family-picture-richard-kiel.gif
you will get nothing (resized).jpg
PXL_20240301_011213296.MP (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0155 (resized).JPG
IMG_0154 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have a theory that stern are hanging on to see how many orders there are before running the domestic games....

Are you saying they might make fewer than 500 if the orders aren't there?

Frankly I think these will be easier to sell once a few get out in the wild and people can get their hands on the game and play it. My guess is any delays are due to the usual production problems.

#119 1 year ago

This thread is getting to be a good example of why we shouldn't have club threads before at least some owners actually have one. Maybe time to change the title to "speculation on why no one has their Bond 60th yet"

#154 1 year ago

Thanks for the unboxing pics. Curious where Elwin put his signature on the topper?

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's only a $20,000 pinball machine. You can't expect them to actually include all the stuff it's supposed to have or to put in the effort to install the shooter knob for you...

They didn't do this on Maiden LE either which also came with a shooter rod. The reason is the knob is slightly longer than the usual one and the game not fit in the packaging with it installed.

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

So, the number of my B60 was #490… and this is probably something I should already know, but how do they go about choosing the number of the pin they are assembling?
I know someone had mentioned that people can pay to request a specific number (who got 007?!) but once those are grabbed, do they start at #1 and go up? Do they start from the back? Do they drop the numbered plates in a bowl and draw them out randomly??
Also still wondering if they will make (have made?) all 500.

I remember a while ago that they were going to have an auction to sell 007 of the Bond 60th as well as the 0007 of the Bond LE, probably to benefit some charity. This may not have happened yet.

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

I did not say the serial number matches the game number. If you study the serial numbers of a particular Stern LE, you will find the Stern LE’s are made sequentially, in order, along with the serial numbers. What your describing is how JJP does it.
I’ve been to the factory more than six times while LE’s are being built and have asked/seen it with my own eyes.
For example, if you have Stern LE#130 and Stern LE#145 of the same model, the serial numbers will be exactly 15 apart. There is a direct correlation. They are not randomly given an LE number. They are built in sequential order by LE number. Stern’s serial numbers have no bearing on the model being built. Stern runs the serial numbers in sequence from day 1.
On JJP, there is no correlation between the LE/CE and the serial number. The first four numbers of a jjp serial number designate the model number being built. The last four digits designate the sequence it was built.

This makes sense on Stern LEs the game seems to know what LE number it is in software. On JJP you can put any number you want in yourself.

#331 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Noticed this stapled in my mid-Feb built Godzilla last night
[quoted image]

Did they give one of the shaker motors that was supposed to come with Bond 60 also?

#339 1 year ago

Got my Bond 60th (#225) today just before a snow storm hit.

My thoughts:
1. Everything worked great out of the box and other than leveling the game didn't need to make any adjustments. Was a little concerned because when I opened it one of the score reels was between numbers but this fixed itself when the game was turned on.

2. The back glass looks great in person and in my opinion is the best of the Bond games.

3. Topper looks better than I had expected (the 007 sticks out a bit) and is signed on the back by Keith Elwin. It shipped already attached to the game with this specialized bracket to allow the straps to go over it without damaging it.

4. The game actually has foil decals. Only the names of the movies on the side of the head show the foil and the 60th logo. The 60th logo is on the front below the coin door and there is one on each side that is small with the movie posters. Was a bit of an odd choice that none of the movie posters included the foil but probably a restriction of the license.

5. The powder coat is matte black and appears the same as that used on Rush LE. I think it is a great choice and better than a gloss black for this game.

6. Much has been made of the game not having art blades. It actually does have art blades installed but they are just black. Why did they put art blades in if they are just black? Who knows but they are there.

7. It did not come with a shaker motor as others have described. i wrote my distributor to ask for one. The shooter rod you need to screw the end on after it arrives. It has a cheap feel and doesn't really belong on this game. On my the spring was strong enough to make the skill shot, but I can see a good argument for a stronger spring.

8. At the start of the game each player can choose between different sound options (Modern, 80s electronic, and several types of chimes). The chimes sound like real chimes so I don't see much reason to include actual chimes. I feel like if you chose a chime mode the Stern Insider connected achievements should also be announced by chimes which they aren't.

9. The score reels are cooler than I thought. They work differently than EM score reels in that they are silent but the game makes. If you score 100 points then only the hundred digit will change. It is easy to tell everyone's score in multiplayer games as it will appear on the playfield screen at the start.

9. All of the inserts on the playfield are single color LEDs.

10. The inline drops work differently than games like Metallica as the software can lower the drops also. This is most noticeable with the skill shot where if you hit the first drop it will lower all of them which allows the mission multiple to be started with one additional shot.

11. The game plays differently than any Stern or other manufacture for that matter before. There is nothing else like this on the market. I'd describe it as the ultimate classic game. It shoots better than any classic, has better rules, better sound / music, modes/multiball that can be stacked, and balanced scoring.

12. It can be set to 5 (or more) balls. If you do this the back box only has lights for 3 balls so additional balls you need to follow on the screen.

13. The small screen in the playfield shows ever players score (and insider connected username if logged in) at the start of every ball. It can also be used to adjust game setting using the same fake DMD interface that all Stern games use. It also shows IC achievements. The game plays so fast that you really don't have time to look at it much during play. If you do it usually shows what you need to do to complete the current mod, etc. Perhaps some simple animations or design choices would make it a little better. That said it would be ridiculous to show movie clips on this thing. This isn't that type of game.

14. It is easy to start the modes (complete MI6 targets). They are simple (e.g. hit drops, or hit spinners) and there is variety. The Mission Multiball (inline drops) was also easy to reliably start and can be stacked with modes.

15. The mission multiball had fun rules. Essentially try to lock the balls in play in the two locks then hit the jackpot shot. You need to be quick to do it and it fits the theme well.

16. In the 3 or so hours I've played I was never able to collect all 6 Bonds to start Bond MB or collect the 4 Gadgets needed for Gadget MB. I also didn't see anyone else do this.

17. It seems the gadgets correspond to the 4 inserts in the playfield and always need to be collected in order. Was a bit dissappointed there wasn't more variety here (e.g. be able to collect the BD-5 jet or the submarine car as a gadget).

18. A reasonable scoring strategy seems to be to build up the bonus/multiplier then collect it (which can be done without draining). This can be worth up to 3,000 points with the 3x multiplier which is huge in this game.

19. This is a great game to play in groups. The ball times are short and it plays very fast. It seems it is always possible for any player to have a great ball and pull ahead with a win. No one is waiting around long for their turn. In this way it fills a niche that no other modern games really does. Probably the closest comparison is Beatles. Playing alone will not be as fun.

20. Is the game worth the price? For the money you can get 3 Stern pros or 2 premiums, and for most the pros would be the better buy and more fun. In my opinion this is a game for people who have larger collections, like to play with friends, and can afford to pay a premium to have something special. A good argument can be made that number of cheaper games are better certainly a better deal (e.g. Metallica, Foo Fighters, the regular Bond, GZ, Stranger Things, DP, etc.). Those types of games are also very popular and can be found everywhere. This will be a game that isn't seen often and will stand out in pretty much every collection.

Here is a link of us playing on Twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1761291500

IMG_9282 (resized).jpegIMG_9282 (resized).jpegIMG_9294 (resized).jpegIMG_9294 (resized).jpegIMG_9298 (resized).jpegIMG_9298 (resized).jpegIMG_9300 (resized).jpegIMG_9300 (resized).jpegIMG_9302 (resized).jpegIMG_9302 (resized).jpeg

#415 1 year ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

question: am I supposed to score the bonus even if i just go under the gate to the outlane but don't hit the M target?

Yes. I've found a reasonable scoring strategy is to build up the bonus/multiplier then collect it. A lot of stuff builds the bonus including lit in lanes and the lit top lanes. Then the multiplier is increased by completing the ABC targets. After you drop the second in line drop target it will light the bonus collect. Its awesome when you can get the max 3K, but then it sucks when you accidentally collect it at a couple hundred.

#424 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

It is very fun.
Btw, another one without the shaker. Also, oddly, the dirtiest game I have ever unboxed. Dusty everywhere. Bolts were dirty.
Way to “go the extra mile” on this one.

Mine was pretty dusty also

Quoted from Rapzilch:

Mine came with a shaker

Curious when yours was made? Mine was made on 2/28. No shaker but my distributor will send me one.

#458 1 year ago

Swapped out my spring and plunger. Much better now.

IMG_9375 (resized).jpegIMG_9375 (resized).jpeg
#486 1 year ago

Got my shaker motor yesterday and installed it.

IMG_9388 (resized).jpegIMG_9388 (resized).jpeg
#488 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

Still haven’t installed mine! Was actually debating whether to install it on my Jurassic Park instead… how’s the integration on JB60?

I've only played few games with the shaker so far. You feel it a little when you hit the drops to start Mission Multiball and some of the other more important shots. It adds to the game but I don't feel it is really necessary like it might be for a game like GZ. I'd just install it and buy another one for your JP, they aren't that expensive.

#504 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

What pin would you owners compare this game to?
I was in, then out, and now I am really thinking I want one.

kind of plays like sword of rage....? ish?

One of the things I really like about this game is there is really nothing else like it. None of the older single level games shot this well, plus they didn't have modes or high quality sound.

BKSOR pro might be a little like this in that it is a fast playing game and almost a single level (there is 1 ramp). BKSOR only has 1 drop, and 1 spinner and I feel like there is a lot of cheap drains off the shield, flail, and close in stand up targets.

I think Beatles might be closest comparison (they both have a lot of drops, single level, satisfying optical spinner shots, and are modern takes on retro games with modes and better sound added). Beatles doesn't play as fast and it isn't an original layout or as good of a layout for that matter.

#518 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

Played it again last night with a friend (was a blast), but got me thinking about how I want to ‘protect’ it (Cliffies, mylar, etc.) The things I want to work up a plan for that I know of:
- shooter lane
- the wood around the two saucers
- is the display window gonna get scratched up??
- ???
What have you guys already done or are planning on doing? Any particular spots you feel need extra protection?

I put mylar in the shooter lane only and turned the trough kick out power down (both of these are a must for any new Stern). There isn't any traditional scoop or place that the ball drops so I'm not sure other places are needed.

Quoted from KirboTurbo:

This game is so awesome! Closest game in my collection I can compare it to is Deadpool, with speed and all the drops.

'

Quoted from conester:

Maybe if GZ was a single level and had the flow still....hard to answer this, but this machine shoots awesome and is a blast!

Almost any game with ramps including DP and GZ the ramp returns the ball to the in lanes which safely sets up the next shot. This makes for longer playing games and allows more complex and deeper rule sets which is essentially the trend we saw in pinball over the last 3 decades. Thus I feel like ramps fundamentally change the character of the game. I feel like it is also hard to make a decent layout with a single level game that has more than a couple decent shots. That's why I Bond 60th is such a special and unique game.

I can see the comparison with DP with the 4 drops (on Prem/LE) on the side and 3 in the middle. I was also thinking TWD with the way you need to start the modes with the dangerous drops on the left being a key part of the game (needed to get Bonds and qualify gadgets on Bond). I personally feel it is nothing like GZ. GZ has a very complicated rule set and long ball times.

My son just came out and asked me when I'm going to be on the computer and play some Bond with him - kid has a damn good point. I've had a few in my collection and can't remember another game he has wanted to play so much.

#522 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Why do the inline and MI6 drops sometimes fail, when exposed to a direct, hard shot?

Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Can you add a washer to effectively shrink the perch? People do that on MET with at least some success. Maybe try it.

Some of this might just be breaking in a new game also.

Interesting point; ramps make for more predictable (and thus slightly easier) gameplay. Do people predict single-level-layout cornerstones? I don't. Most people prefer ramps in their layouts.

I agree that ramps are here to stay. But a lot of us have a dozen or more games in our collection and want something a little different. There has been a push towards, more LEDs, more colors, more mechs, more rules, more sculpts, more flippers, more playfields, more movie clips, etc. but that doesn't always make it a better game. I don't know if we will see a single level corner stone although BKSOR pro came close to that. Beatles, Pulp Fiction, and TNA were all basically Stern prem prices and aimed at a more niche market although I feel this niche is gaining popularity.

One thing I like in particular about this layout is that the shots that ostensibly "replace" ramp shots are deep and very satisfying: the figure-8; and the left- and right spinner lanes when the orbit gates are open. Looping the right spinner lane to left flipper to right spinner is sweet. That right spinner has a rare placement for Elwin because it sits in a straight lane. His spinners always seem to be stuck in elbows ordinarily. As such, it's a bit Ritchie-like.

This is a good point. I don't think there was a previous single level game where this was possible. That said this is much more difficult to do in Bond 60th than it would be on Elwin ramp layouts like GZ or Iron Maiden.

#533 1 year ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Installed the shaker. Works in the tests. Played several games and never noticed it shake. Maybe they forgot to program the shaker too?

It is programmed. I notice it in my game. It is usually just brief when hitting a target or something. There is a setting for how often it is used.

#551 1 year ago

Opinions on the sound package, anyone?
I noticed in the TWIP Deep Dive for Bond 60th that there is no credit for Sound Design. Did Mark Penacho really do all the coding *and* the sound package? I can't really hear the sounds very well on location, but I'm fairly sure I'm not hearing much in the way of creativity or punch. I realize there is a shameful lack of assets in this game, but what did Penacho (or the uncredited sound artist) actually have to work with other than a few bursts of the Bond theme? Is the sound used well/memorably in any particular mode?

I feel like the sound is excellent. When you start a game you get several sound choices: Modern, 80s, and several versions of chimes. All of them are different and excellent in my opinion. The music choices fit the era chosen. In modern hitting the loops makes thais Austin-Martin engine sound. In the 80s the spinners make a cool retro sound like you might hear to Alien Star or something.

There are callouts. One of the best in my opinion is that when you collect a Bond that specific actor with say something to the effect of "My name is bond, James Bond". All 6 actors that played Bond are represented. There are also some other callouts and instructional callouts. The game relies more on the screen for specific instructions. I feel this is appropriate as too many instructional callouts don't fit this style of game and would get distracting once the rules were learned.

I also feel like the modes themselves really bring out the feeling of movies without clips and dialog. For a great example of this chose the 1 ball wizard mode at the start instead of a regular game. You'll get some time to build up the value of the "bomb" by hitting switches then have to quickly diffuse it but knocking down the in line drops and locking a ball. This kind of tension is in a lot of the Bond films, and unlike the films you won't always diffuse the bomb in time.

I would disagree that there is a "shameful lack of assets". Unlike the pro/prem/LE models that cover only the Sean Connery Bond movies (all of which came out before I was born) this version covers the era of Bond in the late 70s, 80s, and 90s that I remember growing up. It covers all the films in the franchise. When some people say "assets" they mean movie clips with sound. This works well on games like TBL where there are natural stops in the game where the ball is not in play and these clips can be watched. For this style of game it really wouldn't make any sense, especially when they already have a version of the game they did that with and in that version some of the clips get annoying fast.

#604 1 year ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Is it normal behavior for Odd Job’s disc to always end up with the post in the exact same spot after it spins? Mine seems unbalanced an always ends up at roughly the 3 o’clock position.

Although this seems common, mine will stop in different random positions. Maybe mine is defective, but I kind of like this because it changes the strategy for MI6 drops.

this game is so hard, lol. the best i've managed to do- once- is light the outlane saves. never seen a multiball besides Mission

I kind of think they should have an easier setting for starting Bond MB, like allow you to collect Bonds during Mission MB (currently you can only collect one if the scoop is already lit). I've thought about narrowing my out lanes or making it easier to get an EB (after 3 Bonds instead of 4 for instance).

#613 1 year ago

bonds aren't the EB though, the third time you finish the rollovers is...right?

Third time you complete the roll overs at the top lights EB. Also get EB lit for collecting 4 bonds (on default but can change that).

#614 1 year ago

im enjoying streaming a lot but the way the score is lit- with bright ass LEDs in front of them- means that the camera has to see through that very bright light to try to read the numbers on the reels.

Quoted from skink91:

I wonder how DeadFlip did it for the reveal stream? Maybe we can get him to divulge the secret!

It looked fine in my stream, just adjust the camera brightness in OBS. Please don't tell DeadFlip I gave away his secret.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#695 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

This has the potential to be worth what we all paid, but it’s nowhere near where it needs to be.
[quoted image]

This is the best shooting single level game I've played by a large margin. It is a single level with modes, good sound, and reasonably balanced scoring. Nothing made back in the day can touch this. As far as modern single level games Beatles might come the closest but TNA, Celts, Fathom (even with the new code which is a in my opinion worse than the original) are a long way from this. My opinion on what it needs:

- When you hit the M target it is hard to tell what it gives you because it changes immediately to the escape (50 points) or the bonus collect. They need a callout here or for the screen to stay on the M target a little longer.
- It is too hard to complete the top lanes. Maybe OK for standard settings but when set to easy should let the lit lanes carry on from ball to ball or let you move the lit lane with the flippers.
- Bond multiball might be too hard to start. Maybe make it easier to make progress during the Mission MB or maybe (when set to easy) be able to collect multiple Bonds with one hit to the saucer.
- They could do a better job with screen. I think movie clips have no place in a game like this. For the orbits mode maybe have a gear shift so after you hit the first orbit (and hear the Aston Martin engine revving) thenit shows a manual gear shift go to second gear with the next shot lit, etc. The other modes could also mark progress better. For instance the spinner mode could be a RPM meter that increases with each shot until it is completed at the red line.

What do you think the game needs?

#732 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Bond 60th's are easy to get and will therefore be discounted. PFLE's are sold out and there are long lines to snap up LE positions in the queue (for a premium). The community votes with their wallets. It's really an embarrassment that Stern is having such difficulty selling Bond 60th with so few being built.

Quoted from snaroff:

There are several available to purchase in my area, both from distributors and collectors that decided to go with other games (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-james-bond-007-60th-le-1). For "hot/limited" games, it's usually much harder to locate the games (and they aren't being deeply discounted). It's just so obvious that Stern botched this one. Even more obvious is how CGC and Play Mechanix schooled Stern on how to nail a modern retro and pay homage to an amazing license.

PF LE sold out a game no one had even seen played. Some of these "buyers" are already trying to flip their spot at a profit. Unfortunately we see this with a lot of limited games including a few Bond 60th that have shown up on this form. Anyone who has been in this hobby as long as you have knows that some great games at one point sold for less than MSRP and went up in value later (SW, GotG, DP, NST, Hobbit, POTC, Met, ACDC, Beatles, BKSOR, Kiss, BM66, and pretty much every Bally Williams game). Other games there there was initial hype and people flipping for over MSRP haven't faired as well (RZ, LOV, DI, ACNC, Halloween).

For me and probably most of the other buyers none of this has any bearing on our enjoyment of these games. The hype thread got beat to death with 7k+ posts almost all complaining about price and perceived market value. Let's let this thread be for people that want to talk about the game itself.

#752 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

Interesting that you own the Gomez version, but only saw fit to post it in this club thread?

But technically it should have been posted in the Sega Goldeneye thread.

3 weeks later
#1051 12 months ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Could some one please tell me where to buy the blue T MOLDING and how much I need

I would go to t-molding.com. The proper width for this is 11/16". You can get 3/4" but it will be a little bit too wide. That might not bother everyone but would bother me. It will take 13 feet to do the game but the minimum order is usually 20 ft ($10).

#1063 12 months ago

Code 1.05 released:

V1.05.0 April 20, 2023
=========================
- Fixed scoring/bonus bug when restarting a game during bonus count.
- Flippers now can abort display of bonus count achievements.
- Added Goldfinger Combo: Left drop targets to left scoop.
- Gadgets now light on a timer, and logic changed to allow gadgets 1-3 to be
awarded during villain modes and multiballs.
- Outlane ball save lights no longer reset at end of ball.
- Hold bonus now saved between players when playing cooperative mode.
- Left bank of drop targets no longer raise at the end of every villain mode.
- New shaker motor adjustment to add small shaker effect to reel movements.
- Various small tweaks to display and sound effects.
- Graphic cleanup to a few attract mode Insider Connected screens.
- Special QR codes can change classic background music and sound effects.
https://sternpinball.com/james-bond-60th-qr-codes/
- Added adjustment to control game start via lockdown bar button.
- Moved to System 3.36
- Updated to nodeboard firmware/protocol v1.5.0
- Updated selectable upper bound for Grand Champion, and HSTD 1-4 Awards. GC
may be set up to 5, HSTD #1 to 4, HSTD #2 to 3, HSTD #3 to 2, and HSTD #4
to 1. The default value for these has not changed, just the ability to
select a higher value.
- Added game version number to lower left of attract mode Insider Connected
screens.
- Updated Service Menu landing screen to graphics.

2 weeks later
#1225 11 months ago
Quoted from matlynch91:

Someone had asked what the rocket city pinball start button looks like lit so posting it here. Also, tried the blue trim and just switched to grey just to see how it looks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like that gray look at lot. I've been toying with the idea of trying a chrome T-molding

3 weeks later
#1364 10 months ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

To confirm, the 11/16" t-molding is the correct size? (still waiting for light blue 11/16" to come back in stock at t-molding.com)

11/16" is correct. 3/4" is slightly too wide but a lot of people still use it.

Quoted from NunoDirector:

20” is more than enough!

I think you mean 20 feet and not 20". It takes 13 feet to do a game.

#1369 10 months ago

Replaced the screws around the screen with black ones,

70778282131__00A37EC5-6414-497F-8459-42E92DC6F4D7 (resized).jpeg70778282131__00A37EC5-6414-497F-8459-42E92DC6F4D7 (resized).jpegIMG_1155 (resized).jpegIMG_1155 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1422 9 months ago
Quoted from Minnpin65:

So...guys,
Are any of you as frustrated with the 'lazy drain' from the captive ball lane as I am? I've kept track, and it appears 70-80% of the time, it just drops out of that lane and goes SDTM! I mean $#!T, it really is pissing me off! Anyone?

I don't have this issue. Is your game level?

#1424 9 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

One of the weirdest NIB factory defects. My speaker panel wouldn't unlock after unboxing (key wouldn't make it past the 1 o'clock position). After fiddling for quite awhile, I managed to pry it loose. It appears the lock mech was bent way too far (the correct bend shown for comparison). Just odd to me that this part doesn't get manufactured with the appropriate bend. Seems like folks on the factory line must be bending these by hand? Totally minor, but getting it open was a PITA. First for everything. On the positive front, the PF prep/artwork/clear are fantastic. So happy I didn't get a poorly prepped PF (which I've seen on some of the NOB examples currently listed).

My GZ LE came with this same issue. The only way I could fix it was by reaching in the bottom of the back box (when it was down obviously) and unscrewing the screw to release the metal piece of the back of the lock. I wrote my distributor and Stern about it. I think the problem is that at the factory someone forces the lock closed when it isn't actually in the right position so it just bends the mech and makes it very difficult to open again later.

#1444 9 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I was just thinking about this today. Its so "Not a regular Stern" which is not a slam. Its just different and really hope this pf shows up again and more accessible.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the playfield should be re-themed. That said I loved Beatles and I love this game. I would like to see more single level fast playing games with good shots and rules that hit the sweet spot between modern games and classics.

1 week later
#1475 9 months ago

I noticed Stern related a promo video with their Bond accessories today. Looks like even the crappy shooter rod is no longer exclusive to the 60th now.

#1479 9 months ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Maybe someone can help me understand this. The flyer says "EXCLUSIVE Union Jack pinball shooter knob."
The armor is also listed under the headline of "EXCLUSIVES"
Seriously, someone should take this up with Stern. I get it, its a small thing, but its fraudulent. Simple as that.

It's totally fraudulent. Given what truly exclusive toppers (e.g. BM66 SLE and Star Wars) go for on the secondary market it isn't even a small thing. I have brought it up with both my distributor and Stern. At the time I thought they were only going to pull this shit on the topper. Stern's chief revenue officer's response me was: "We had Keith autograph each 60th topper. That autograph (not trying to be a jerk) is truly exclusive to the topper, making the topper exclusive."

Maybe they will send Keith to autograph or our shooter rods and armor now so we can have the exclusive versions of those that we paid for?

Quoted from yancy:

If it bothers you that someone else gets to enjoy a thing, take a long look in the mirror.
Yeah yeah, I know, "but I was buying an expensive collectible and that's part of the value. I was deceived!" Whatever. Don't buy collectibles, buy games you enjoy playing.

You're defending fraud. They charged a big premium by marketing this as an exclusive collectible. If they didn't want this to be collectible they could have said "included" instead of "exclusive." Maybe not you, but some of us like to have something special in our collection, something that not every location has, and are willing to pay a little extra for that. Even if you don't care about that, most of us couldn't afford to be in the hobby long if we lost $5k on every game we bought and sold which is what happens if we put up with this kind of crap. If you can then you're very fortunate.

#1485 9 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Anything marketed as a "collectible" is for suckers.

I get that there is a gray area of what is considered "collectable" or not, and it is a common marketing tactic.

That said the issue here is that Bond 60th was limited to 500 and several accessories were marketed as exclusive to this game. Because price is determined by supply and demand limiting the supply drives up price. Stern lied in their initial marketing, and I feel intentionally so to command a higher price. After they sold (to end customers and distributors) they have now decided that these accessories aren't exclusive to Bond 60th and they can sell more to new buyers. Not only do I find this a reprehensible business practice but it has negatively impacted the value of the game both to recent sellers (both hobbyists and distributors) and some hobbyists who put value on having something rare in their game room.

You aren't alone in feeling those who bought this game are suckers. It is now clear that those of us who reviewed and believed Stern's marketing materials when making a big purchasing decision were suckers. You say shame on the pinball community. I say shame on Stern.

#1488 9 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

I guess I just can’t help but laugh at the idea that there may be suckers out there that would actually choose to pay for that lame-ass 50-cent plasticky shooter knob.

Your actually low by $139.49.

#1491 9 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Sure, I just think caring about exclusivity is lame.

I think false advertising is lame.

#1513 9 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Drop targets also seem to break in and brick less after a decent amount of play

This option seems like the most fun for sure.

1 week later
#1546 9 months ago

less is more on this one y'all
im sorry but that coin door decal is goofy as fuck, for example

Quoted from RTS:

But it's kinda dicky to call out someone else's choice so rudely like that, and act like you're sorry.

Not necessarily that coin door in particular but H. L. Mencken was on to something when he said that "nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." When someone is trying to make a few bucks infringing on intellectual property I don't see an issue with someone calling them out on it.

#1547 9 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I think it's a shit show that Stern have grabbed exclusive stuff and put it up for sale separately and I don't think it's because of the licensor but as Yancy says its not worth that much crying over. Just when the next big game comes out as exclusive I'll be reaching for the salt and not my wallet!

Yeah, the game itself is great, but if they try this again I'd guess most of us will be waiting to find out what is really exclusive and what distributors are really going to sell them for.

3 weeks later
#1641 8 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

Interesting audit.
I've had GZ for 16 months and have 150 plays.
I've had JB60 one month and have over 500 plays.

Nice Score. I'm not quite there yet.

I have a GZ LE and the play count between that and Bond 60th is a similar story in my game room. I feel like I never have the time to invest in a game of GZ so I just play a quick game of Bond 60th.. then another and another.

1 week later
#1661 7 months ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Having an issue with a couple of my drop targets. Solid direct hits and not dropping them. It is the 6 target in the MI6 row and the first inline target for the ball lock. I have had to hit the 6 target 4 times before to get it to drop. Adjustment?

Some people have put in stronger springs but it may just be a matter of playing it more and getting it broken in.

2 months later
#1810 5 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Any suggestions on updates that are needed? The code seems very complete to me.

Seven months ago when I got the game I posted a few things I thought the code needed:

- When you hit the M target it is hard to tell what it gives you because it changes immediately to the escape (50 points) or the bonus collect. They need a callout here or for the screen to stay on the M target a little longer.
- It is too hard to complete the top lanes. Maybe OK for standard settings but when set to easy should let the lit lanes carry on from ball to ball or let you move the lit lane with the flippers.
- Bond multiball might be too hard to start. Maybe make it easier to make progress during the Mission MB or maybe (when set to easy) be able to collect multiple Bonds with one hit to the saucer.
- They could do a better job with screen. I think movie clips have no place in a game like this. For the orbits mode maybe have a gear shift so after you hit the first orbit (and hear the Aston Martin engine revving) thenit shows a manual gear shift go to second gear with the next shot lit, etc. The other modes could also mark progress better. For instance the spinner mode could be a RPM meter that increases with each shot until it is completed at the red line.

I still play my game regularly and we have seen some minor updates since I initially made these suggestions. I now think maybe the Bond MB doesn't need to be easier but the other comments I think would be welcome code improvements.

1 week later
#1826 4 months ago

I like the changes. I played it several times this weekend and put up a new GC. I feel like the old rules were too focused on Mission MB and this makes that harder to start while giving more incentive to complete the modes.

Also they didn't seem to put any Stern ads on Bond 60th unlike the other models.

2 months later
#1941 59 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

I keep getting the score reels locking up occasionally, solves itself with a reboot. It's not game breaking or anything, but it's annoying, and since it's on location I don't like it not representing 100%. Anyone happen to know what that's about before I reach out to stern?

I had this issue, but it is now resolved. It seemed to be due to noise getting into the cables that control the reels. Try checking the cables to make sure there are no loose connections and put ferrite cores on them.

1 week later
#1953 46 days ago

I love the "shaken not stirred" tilt warning callout that was added in the new code.

#1969 41 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

ok these new callouts, clearly whoever did them wasn't a Bond fan:
Shall I call you a cab? -> should be -> Taxi for Bond, Taxi for a Mr James Bond
Hurry up -> Should be -> Now come along 007
ok lets get going -> Pay attention 007
dodgy -> shocking - positively shocking
on drain > do me a favour, will you? Throw that down the toilet. Cut out the middle man.
tilt: shaken not stirred is good but also Well, I’m afraid you’ve caught me with more than my hands up
skill shot: A gun and a radio. Not exactly Christmas, is it?
end of game - names is for tombstones
post yours and I might have a go at a special rom. I'll do my own Connery impression for some of them

I hope you do this, I'd put this code on my game!

#1996 38 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

If they are making a limited run of 500, what is the process in numbering the games?
It must be a huge headache to keep track of available numbers if they aren't reaching the total in the run.
I know JJP let's people choose their number. But those are pre-orders. Didn't know Stem did it too.

The serial numbers of the boards used in Stern LEs are sequential, even though the games aren't made in that order. This is now the code knows which LE number you have (it is the serial number minus a large constant).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 26.50
$ 18,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 0.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-007-60th-anniversary-le-club?tu=twenty84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.