Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jalopy Schematic Snapshot.jpg
ja.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi, I have been contacted by a friend of mine to look at someone's pinball machine. Turns out it is an old Williams Jalopy for the early 50's It is all there but needs some TLC. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to where to start to say get this thing to start a game or take credits. There is no manual and this is a little older than I am used to tinkering with. ANY help is greatly appreciated. Would love to see this thing in action. THANKS

#3 5 years ago

Is the game here in MN? I'm up in the cities, but can help on this era of game.

#4 5 years ago

It is here in Austin. It seems like quite a project as it sits. I was just trying to get it to start a game. Says it has credits too. Is the little red button a reset under the cab next to the power switch or was this added after? Does it need to have the trough filled with balls to start? I only spent a few minutes on it and the only EM I have dealt with is my own which is about 20 years newer. Do you have any extra woodrails for this era by chance? not sure if they had them. Owner is a car guy looking to restore one for his garage. thanks

#5 5 years ago

I am in Sugar Land just south of Houston and have a Jalopy working well.

First there was no switch as described under the cabinet, second the balls in trough are not necessary to start. It is a easy straight forward machine. When it resets a few things happen regarding the top box cars reversing but that will not stop the machine from resetting either.

Attached is the first part of the schematic showing you the reset bits. Make sure the switches are correct and a jumper wire to see that you have power should be easy to power. remember it is a 50 Volt coil machine not 24 Volt.

Steve J

Post edited by SteveinTexas : attachments too large

Jalopy Schematic Snapshot.jpg
#6 5 years ago

Is it missing the woodrails altogether? I don't think I have any extra that would work on a Williams.

Austin, Minnesota though, right?

Realistically, if the game has been sitting, has had some mods done to it (little red button sound like a possible 'free play' mod), it's probably something best dealt with in person. Do you have any pictures of it though? Maybe Steve J could offer guidance based on his working one. The schematic is a great start!

#7 5 years ago

If you have had some time to look at the schematic snapshot then the following is how I understand it should power up. I assume it has power. On the left of the schematic it indicates the 110v relay bank is energized first. Mine then sits with the back light bulbs lit. I can add a coin, press the replay button of if the play field is up with balls out of machine press the start re manually. It is arelay in the long line of relays on the cabinet floor left side. It is the 4th one from the bottom foot rail end. This should immediately kick off the score motor ( noisy bugger with glass off etc). At the same time it resets the ball counter, 100,000 stepper, and possibly credit unit. Only the score motor needs to work initially for you in getting the machine working. You can systematically get to the others. Hope this helps.

Steve J

Post edited by moderator: Bad grammar

2 weeks later
#8 5 years ago

Thanks Steve, I did however lose or corrupt the file you sent me and am going to see the game tomorrow. I will start with your suggestion as it does seem like a straightforward type of game. Thanks again

#9 5 years ago

Sent them again via email Saturday morning. Good luck.

#10 5 years ago

Checking it out in an hour. Thanks again, hope to have it up and going today

#11 5 years ago

It's just like any other EM, it needs to reset all of it's features or it won't start.

There aren't many features on a game like this, so that's the good news.

Are the cars resetting back to the starting line? If not, you need to check out that unit. Look for broken chains, a bad motor, or anything else like that.

Is the score resetting? If not, check out the big scoring stepper unit. Even if it's fd up, you should still be able to manually force reset it to zero and see if the game starts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 219.99
$ 4,199.00
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
$ 1,000.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 110.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pin Mods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 179.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside