• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SteveinTexas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey,
Here is the question: what Williams animated head machine is the best player among Jalopy, Hayburners, Spark Plugs and Sea Jockeys ?

#2 4 years ago

I can only speak for Jalopy and Hayburners. I'd pick the Jalopy over those two. I was looking for one for several years and then came across the Hayburners at a show and bought it instead but never did find a Jalopy. Years later I came across a Nags and the Hayburners had to go. I'd still keep the Nags over a Hayburners or even a Jalopy if I was to ever find one.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 4 years ago

Definitely the Jalopy. I have a nice one. Would love a Nags but I have never seen one. John if you get bored with it let me know.

#4 4 years ago

Jalopy won the race ! Thank you !

#5 4 years ago

I know it's not on your list but if you're looking for the best 'player'... find a Nags.

Not even a close race.

#6 4 years ago

Nags is a better player than those but to be honest (owning one), even Nags is not a great 'player' when compared to games like KOD, Sing Along or Heat Wave. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to play and when I have people come over they often gravitate to it since it's so unique (little kids in particular like it). There is simply too much randomness for me to play it game after game like I will on the other three I have sitting next to it.

I think a big part of these 'horsey' (car/boat) games is simply the charm, humor and uniqueness of the back box action and for that, I don't think there is that much difference between the games.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Nags is a better player than those but to be honest (owning one), even Nags is not a great 'player' when compared to games like KOD, Sing Along or Heat Wave. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to play and when I have people come over they often gravitate to it since it's so unique (little kids in particular like it). There is simply too much randomness for me to play it game after game like I will on the other three I have sitting next to it.
I think a big part of these 'horsey' (car/boat) games is simply the charm, humor and uniqueness of the back box action and for that, I don't think there is that much difference between the games.

I may (or probably) have a different take on what I consider to be a 'player's game' or a 'player'. I probably should have clarified this beforehand. Sorry about that!

What I interpret this to mean... is a game that kind of showcases what a good pinball player (the person) can do on a game. Some titles just seem to be designed that way. Games like Ice Show, Grand Slam ('53) Space Ship, Trade Winds and King Pin ('62) for example. These are games that I would consider to be 'player's games. Nags is very similar in design to Space Ship down by the flippers.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

I think a big part of these 'horsey' (car/boat) games is simply the charm, humor and uniqueness of the back box action and for that

That is why I am having a look a those machines since few times. But if I could have a nice game PLUS a good player, that would be the double jackpot

#9 4 years ago

The major difference between the early animated racing games and Nags is the impulse flippers, Nags is about 8-10 years younger. For fun I changed out the flippers on my Jalopy to a more modern type and it makes the game more fun to play. I also added spoons under the bumpers as the early games bumpers have the carbon rings arrangement. Easy temporary fixes all described in detail here on the site. Can be put back to original in a weekend.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-williams-impulse-flippers-and-carbon-ring-bumpers-temporary

The fun of the game is the gambling aspect and the animated box not the game play as it is too rudimentary.

Steve J

#10 4 years ago

I had a Jalopy for years. Sold to a antique car collector. Like so many other early games, it was great to look at, not so great to play.

10 months later
#11 4 years ago

I forgot to update this thread... I found a Nags ! Thanks for your advise because I never thought about it.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from valentin27:

I forgot to update this thread... I found a Nags ! Thanks for your advise because I never thought about it.

So did I! Restored it and it looks and works great. Enjoy your game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 319.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 179.99
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 3.70
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside