(Topic ID: 224018)

Jacksonville, FL. Mass shooting: Several killed at video game tournament

By Join_The_Cirqus

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Best-Bumper-Stickers1 (resized).jpg
    71Mk0WkWojL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    A17C9985-FA6B-4745-998B-B19E4ED391DD (resized).jpeg
    DLKLFfrVoAAIpSa (resized).jpg
    ZZZZ-HOOOTERS (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nobody is going to tell me that i dont have the right to protect myself or my family.

I understand the "don't take away my guns" reaction. But please for a moment consider: is there a point we could reach at which you would agree that there is too much gun violence? What if the rate of gun deaths was twice as high? 5 times? 10 times? Certainly there must be some threshold, right?

I don't think we should ban guns. However, we've long passed what I would consider an acceptable homicide rate here in the US. We're many multiples higher than other countries that have comparable levels of wealth, economy, democracy, etc. The countries which have similar homicide rates to the US are ones which many of us would consider dangerous to travel to.

Incidents like this typically trigger a 2nd amendment standoff. Maybe there is a way to have a discussion that doesn't start with guns, but instead starts with an agreement from people on both sides that the current homicide rate in the United States is unacceptable? Can we agree on that?

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I agree there are too many shootings. But as I mentioned earlier need to take a look into these Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
    Class of drugs. For one any type of anti depression

Definitely an extremely high rate of (legal) drugs being used here as well.

With a bit of quick research, I found this: "In a systematic review of placebo-controlled trials in adult healthy volunteers, we showed that antidepressants double the occurrence of events that the FDA has defined as possible precursors to suicide and violence" (https://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3697/rr-4)

That's certainly not good.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jacksonville-shooting-several-killed-at-video-game-tournament?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.