(Topic ID: 224018)

Jacksonville, FL. Mass shooting: Several killed at video game tournament

By Join_The_Cirqus

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Best-Bumper-Stickers1 (resized).jpg
    71Mk0WkWojL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    A17C9985-FA6B-4745-998B-B19E4ED391DD (resized).jpeg
    DLKLFfrVoAAIpSa (resized).jpg
    ZZZZ-HOOOTERS (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #3 5 years ago

What a very sad thing to happen.

#4 5 years ago

CUE:

"Video games lead to violence"

"Now is not the time to adjust the nation's gun laws"

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families...."

ZZZZ-HOOOTERS (resized).jpgZZZZ-HOOOTERS (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

A madden football tournament streaming on twitch. Not a shooter or violent game.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

A madden football tournament streaming on twitch. Not a shooter or violent game.

What could be more violent to the media than a football game?

The shooter probably had CTE

#7 5 years ago

Ever notice these shootings always take a place at gun free zones??

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I find just the opposite. Jacksonville, Florida is far from a gun free zone.

#9 5 years ago

Read that an eyewitness said the shooter was a competitor that lost
    Shot a few people and then himself.
    If true that is even crazier than the normal craziness associated with these types of things.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

They happen everywhere.

Schools

Concerts in Vegas

Street Fairs

Movie Theaters

Orlando nightclubs

Sutherland Churches

Military bases

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I find just the opposite. Jacksonville, Florida is far from a gun free zone.

Edit: I support the 2nd amendment, but let's be honest about things.

Thoughts and Prayers.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They happen everywhere.
    Schools
    Concerts in Vegas
    Street Fairs
    Movie Theaters
    Orlando nightclubs
    Sutherland Churches
    Military bases

And the majority of the gunmen are on Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

#13 5 years ago

Yeah if you've ever been to a madden tournament this isnt very surprising.

The players take it very.....seriously I guess is the word but I've seen fist fights, screaming and even a gang brawl.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Thoughts and Prayers.

DLKLFfrVoAAIpSa (resized).jpgDLKLFfrVoAAIpSa (resized).jpg
    #15 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

Hey now, thoughts and prayers are worth their weight in gold.

#16 5 years ago

This has nothing to do with guns or gun laws folks. It has EVERYTHING to do with a sick and mentally ill person. If we didnt have any guns in this country he would have just used a knife or a car or whatever. These kinds of things are going to happen unfortunately, gun laws or no gun laws. Its just too bad that there wasnt someone with a gun that could have stopped him sooner.

#17 5 years ago

Mass Stabbing kills 60 and wounds 851 in Vegas concert massacre.....

#18 5 years ago

If you were a mayor of a town and everyone started spitting gum in your face, would you ban the sale of gum?

#19 5 years ago

Ugh. Do yourself a favor and avoid watching or listening to the twitch video

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

If you were a mayor of a town and everyone started spitting gum in your face, would you ban the sale of gum?

Spitting in someone's face is already a crime: Battery.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Thoughts and Prayers.

A17C9985-FA6B-4745-998B-B19E4ED391DD (resized).jpegA17C9985-FA6B-4745-998B-B19E4ED391DD (resized).jpeg
    #22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This has nothing to do with guns or gun laws folks. It has EVERYTHING to do with a sick and mentally ill person. If we didnt have any guns in this country he would have just used a knife or a car or whatever. These kinds of things are going to happen unfortunately, gun laws or no gun laws. Its just too bad that there wasnt someone with a gun that could have stopped him sooner.

This is an absurd statement. Again, I support the 2nd amendment, but let's be honest with ourselves. Supporting the right to bear arms comes with a price that we either accept as a society or not. Same as we allow people to drive cars at 65mph. Fatalities are inevitable. It's the price we pay.

Now the right to arm bears, I do not support. The cost would be just too great.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So you think that we should abolish our 2nd amendment rights and give up our guns, is that what you are saying? Sorry, thats not gonna happen, nor should it. Nobody is going to tell me that i dont have the right to protect myself or my family.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Compiled from reports at London’s Daily Telegraph, FoxNews, the Daily Wire and Daily Caller) – London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a tough crackdown on knives Sunday as the city reels from a spike in stabbings that have led its number of homicides to top New York City’s for two straight months.

He tweeted: “No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law.” The tweet also included an action plan to boost police power and prevent future violence.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

So you think that we should abolish our 2nd amendment rights and give up our guns, is that what you are saying?

When did I say that???

You seem to be WAY overreacting here.

There is only one guy on this forum that has more firearms than I do.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nobody is going to tell me that i dont have the right to protect myself or my family

I saw that on a bumper sticker at the flea market.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:This is an absurd statement. Again, I support the 2nd amendment, but let's be honest with ourselves. Supporting the right to bear arms comes with a price that we either accept as a society or not. Same as we allow people to drive cars at 65mph. Fatalities are inevitable. It's the price we pay.
    Now the right to arm bears, I do not support. The cost would be just too great.

Why is my statement absurd? Do you think if this guy was normal and not mentally ill that he would have done such a thing? I think not.

#27 5 years ago

Yes my thoughts and prayers are with the victims .

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a tough crackdown on knives Sunday as the city reels from a spike in stabbings that have led its number of homicides to top New York City’s for two straight months.

I'm glad he's getting a handle on things before we have another Mass Stabbing in London.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

When did I say that???

Im just asking because im not sure what you are getting at is all.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im just asking because im not sure what you are getting at is all.

Relax, don't get all worked up.

71Mk0WkWojL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg71Mk0WkWojL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#32 5 years ago

In before the lock!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There is only one guy on this forum that has more firearms than I do.

Challenge accepted

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Relax, don't get all worked up.
    [quoted image]

Im not worked up at all, i was just curious.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why is my statement absurd? Do you think if this guy was normal and not mentally ill that he would have done such a thing? I think not.

Obviously the guy has issues. But his having access to a gun amplified the carnage. it's more efficient to pull the trigger versus having to stab a bunch of people.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not worked up at all, i was just curious.

I hear you.

But just remember, anytime a gun owner starts spouting off those $1 bumper sticker slogans in public, it makes ALL gun owners look bad.

Let's not embarrass ourselves with corny cliches; because those pre-programed responses signal to others "I can't have a meaningful discussion about this subject"

I'm better than that.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hear you.
    But just remember, anytime a gun owner starts spouting off those $1 bumper sticker quotes in public, it makes ALL gun owners look bad.
    Let's not embarrass ourselves with corny cliches; because those per-programed responses signal to others "I can't have a meaningful discussion about this subject"
    I'm better than that.

Sorry but i didnt get that quote from a bumber sticker or anywhere else that i am aware of. Im just not going to let some politician decide for me if i have the right to protect myself or not. It wasnt a quote, i thought that up all on my own.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sorry but i didnt get that quote from a bumber sticker or anywhere else that i am aware of. Im just not going to let some politician decide for me if i have the right to protect myself or not. It wasnt a quote, i thought that up all on my own.

Nobody is suggesting taking your guns away. But perhaps we should vet the people who are wanting to buy them a bit better.

#39 5 years ago

This will eventually be locked up...so I just wanted to say that before I die of whatever reason, I see metal detectors at all public establishments in the future. Maybe even portable units just for shows and other get togethers in the meantime.
    -Mike

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I see metal detectors at all public establishments in the future.

Everywhere.

The moment you park your car, they are going to need to scan you before they enter any public space.

Parks, Schools, Movie Theaters, Malls, Outdoor Concerts, Renascence Festivals, Subway Terminals, Daycare Centers.

You think it's bad needing ID to buy groceries now, wait until you need ID to shop at the mall....

Best-Bumper-Stickers1 (resized).jpgBest-Bumper-Stickers1 (resized).jpg
    #41 5 years ago

vid1900
    It's the unfortunate road we are traveling.
    -Mike

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Everywhere.
    The moment you park your car, they are going to need to scan you before they enter any public space.
    Parks, Schools, Movie Theaters, Malls, Outdoor Concerts, Renascence Festivals, Subway Terminals, Daycare Centers.
    You think it's bad needing ID to buy groceries now, wait until you need ID to shop at the mall....[quoted image]

I'm bringing a TSA body scanner to the next show, so I can see if the guy who is lowballing me really only has no more money in his pocket.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

vid1900
    It's the unfortunate road we are traveling.
    -Mike

I know it.

All you have to do is travel thru Europe to see how restrictive the USA has become.

You get on airplanes and you don't have to take off your shoes, you cross boarders and you don't have to stop or show your passport.

Sad.

#44 5 years ago

Did you even read the article? Lol.

Re Jacksonville: very sad, not surprised. Screw thoughts and prayers.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

How about the majority opinion in the country you live in tough guy? If it ever comes to a vote, and you lose, you going Waco?

#46 5 years ago

Yes it’s another tragedy

Heightened by social media and 24/7 news

Sadly, it pales in comparison to what happens in Chicago on a daily basis

Can you imagine if cell phones and the internet existed during Vietnam, Korean War, World wars 1 and 2?

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yes it’s another tragedy
    Heightened by social media and 24/7 news
    Sadly, it pales in comparison to what happens in Chicago on a daily basis
    Can you imagine if cell phones and the internet existed during Vietnam, Korean War, World wars 1 and 2?

You're right about Chicago, and the thing is Rahm and other leaders if you want to call them that do nothing.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nobody is going to tell me that i dont have the right to protect myself or my family.

I understand the "don't take away my guns" reaction. But please for a moment consider: is there a point we could reach at which you would agree that there is too much gun violence? What if the rate of gun deaths was twice as high? 5 times? 10 times? Certainly there must be some threshold, right?

I don't think we should ban guns. However, we've long passed what I would consider an acceptable homicide rate here in the US. We're many multiples higher than other countries that have comparable levels of wealth, economy, democracy, etc. The countries which have similar homicide rates to the US are ones which many of us would consider dangerous to travel to.

Incidents like this typically trigger a 2nd amendment standoff. Maybe there is a way to have a discussion that doesn't start with guns, but instead starts with an agreement from people on both sides that the current homicide rate in the United States is unacceptable? Can we agree on that?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I understand the "don't take away my guns" reaction. But please for a moment consider: is there a point we could reach at which you would agree that there is too much gun violence? What if the rate of gun deaths was twice as high? 5 times? 10 times? Certainly there must be some threshold, right?
    I don't think we should ban guns. However, we've long passed what I would consider an acceptable homicide rate here in the US. We're many multiples higher than other countries that have comparable levels of wealth, economy, democracy, etc. The countries which have similar homicide rates to the US are ones which many of us would consider dangerous to travel to.
    Incidents like this typically trigger a 2nd amendment standoff. Maybe there is a way to have a discussion that doesn't start with guns, but instead starts with an agreement from people on both sides that the current homicide rate in the United States is unacceptable? Can we agree on that?

I agree there are too many shootings. But as I mentioned earlier need to take a look into these Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
    Class of drugs. For one any type of anti depression

#50 5 years ago

Believe it or not, the homicide rate has declined since the 70s and FAR below today than the peak in 1980

And it’s lower worldwide

4.9 homicides per 100,000 versus 6.2 worldwide

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jacksonville-shooting-several-killed-at-video-game-tournament?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.