Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 11 months ago

So my previously working Jacks Open did not like being moved from room to room. Any idea what I ought have jostled to cause this behavior? It reset the reels on the first attempt to start a game, but now it just blinks at me and doesn’t do Jack (pun intended).

Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 11 months ago

Tilt bob?

#3 11 months ago

Tilt bob is functioning normally.

#4 11 months ago

But thanks! Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated!

#5 11 months ago

Slam switch? In the head, on the mech board or on the coin door?

#6 11 months ago

How far is it getting through the Operating Instructions on page 2 of the Jacks Open manual?
What clues can you give us about what's happening inside?

#7 11 months ago

When you were moving it around were you disconnecting the head and moving it separately, or just moving the whole machine?

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When you were moving it around were you disconnecting the head and moving it separately, or just moving the whole machine?

I moved it without taking off the head.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

How far is it getting through the Operating Instructions on page 2 of the Jacks Open manual?

I only have the schematic, but will try and run down the manual tonight.

The credit reel also started running when I tried to start a game this morning and wracked up 14 credits before maxing out.

#10 11 months ago

Also, haven’t had a chance to run through all the slam switches. But will check them tonight.

#11 11 months ago

Captive pinball stuck in the roll tilt? Near the tilt bob.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from MikeKap:

Captive pinball stuck in the roll tilt? Near the tilt bob.

The ball was removed from roll tilt before I got it (unless it fell out while I was moving it...).

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

I only have the schematic, but will try and run down the manual tonight.
The credit reel also started running when I tried to start a game this morning and wracked up 14 credits before maxing out.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14 11 months ago

Thanks so much for this. I will try and go through it tonight or first thing in the morning. Very much appreciated!

#15 10 months ago

So I went through all the tilt and slam switches. They looked fine, but I actuated all of them just to make sure they were in the right resting state. I didn’t notice anything off, but when I powered back up everything was working as it should. So who knows!?

I really appreciate all the input and advice on this.

Now I just have to figure out why it won’t work in 5 ball (which is fine for now, since I prefer 3).

Thanks again!

-C

#16 10 months ago

If the slam switches are normally closed you might want to just clean the contacts.

What exactly is not working in 5 ball mode?

#17 10 months ago

Well, after a year of not trying when it wasn’t working originally, i just switched the jones plug to 5 ball and now it works.

That said, another issue has cropped up. When the ball enters the shooter lane, or sometimes when the flipper is actuated, the game advances the 10 point reel. I’m guessing this is just going to be a switch adjustment, but any indicator ion as to which switch would be awesome.

Many thanks again for all the help so far.

-C

#18 10 months ago

That said, another issue has cropped up. When the ball enters the shooter lane, or sometimes when the flipper is actuated, the game advances the 10 point reel. I’m guessing this is just going to be a switch adjustment, but any indicator ion as to which switch would be awesome.

This isn't going to be like a solid state game where you could go into test mode and it will tell you which 10 pt. switch - on EM's they are all wired in parallel, so you have to go to each one and see which (likely) has the rubber too tight, or hit the playfield around each switch to see if it's that one, or isolate the leafs with paper to help isolate.

#19 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

This isn't going to be like a solid state game where you could go into test mode and it will tell you which 10 pt. switch - on EM's they are all wired in parallel, so you have to go to each one and see which (likely) has the rubber too tight, or hit the playfield around each switch to see if it's that one, or isolate the leafs with paper to help isolate.

Yeah, I think it’s time I got to know the machine better anyway. I will most likely go through and clean all the switches and steppers and make sure they are gapped appropriately.

#20 10 months ago

I will most likely go through and clean all the switches and steppers and make sure they are gapped appropriately.

Before you do that, read this
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#21 10 months ago

Sweet! Looking forward to it!

#22 10 months ago

Well, after a year of not trying when it wasn’t working originally, i just switched the jones plug to 5 ball and now it works. That said, another issue has cropped up. When the ball enters the shooter lane, or sometimes when the flipper is actuated, the game advances the 10 point reel. -C

Just had a similar situation. When pressing my left flipper I would get 100 points score. An adjacent rollover switch was gapped too close and just the vibration of the flipper would fire that switch too. So go through all the playfield switches that score 10 points.

#23 10 months ago

If you very lightly push in each 10 point playfield switch rebound rubber along the sides, you can probably identify which one is misadjusted too close. If the 10 points is stuck 'on' you can pull out on each rubber to i.d. which one it is too. Check the ones on the top and bottom of the center plastic also.

If it's the left or right pop bumper doing it then the false score would change to 100 points if the bumper has been lit. Sometimes the pop rings can droop down a little bit at rest (with the playfield down) and falsely activate the scoring switch with vibration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jacks-open-wont-start-game?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.