View topic image gallery

Gottlieb Stepper Zero Adjust (resized).jpg
Sequence 02.pdf (PDF preview)
Sequence 01.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_1408 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4514 (resized).jpeg
Drop Target Mech Snippet Jacks Open (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

I have a question about the game play of my Jacks Open regarding specials.

The drop targets sequence from jacks to queens to full house to royal flush to only royal flush for special.

Once the targets are all knocked down for special it awards the special. But the targets do not come back up.

My recollection from back in the day the royal flush targets were supposed to reset for another crack at the special?

Dies your game play differently than mine?

#2 4 years ago

Yes, they’re suppose to reset.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Yes, they’re suppose to reset.

Thanks. That’s what I remembered.

#6 4 years ago

Hey Mike, there's a reason the JO in that video works flawlessly

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Hey Mike, there's a reason the JO in that video works flawlessly

Are you offering to work on mine?

#8 4 years ago

Well you couldn’t go wrong with Scott working on your machine! If you are lucky enough to get him.

Quoted from MikeO:

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

LOL, no. I know you can cure whatever ails your game.

That's my game, or used to be, in the video. SteamVette is the new caretaker. Hated to give it up but time to move on to something else.

#10 4 years ago

So my game gets all the way to where you have special lit and only the red royal flush targets grouping up. The black targets have been knocked down. Once the red targets are knocked down a credit is awarded but they do not reset.

Unfortunately the game is not convenient to me. It's at my parents house in Michigan and I am only there a few times a year for short periods. I was there this past weekend but didn't get to spend much time on it. I did take a picture of the schematic and it appears to me a cut communication line between the 3 and 4 positions on the sequence unit could exhibit the symptom I'm having, which appears to limit to one the number of games a player can win when the special is lit. Does anyone think that would be the next spot to look for what would keep the drop targets from resetting and keeping the drop target trip coil from dropping the black targets?

Drop Target Mech Snippet Jacks Open (resized).JPGDrop Target Mech Snippet Jacks Open (resized).JPG
#11 4 years ago

Mike, I'd say your problem is definitely somewhere in the sequence unit. The targets are resetting normally up to that point, and that indicates the sequence unit to me.

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

Hey, Mike, one of the times we met I think I mentioned to you my JO had the same problem. Turned out a prior owner (commercial operator?) had hacked the special to your situation. Presumably this was done to hold down scores/replays. Took Timme in Seattle to unwind. Huge fun difference maker. Scored personal high 210,960 the other day.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Blutarsky:

Hey, Mike, one of the times we met I think I mentioned to you my JO had the same problem. Turned out a prior owner (commercial operator?) had hacked the special to your situation. Presumably this was done to hold down scores/replays. Took Timme in Seattle to unwind. Huge fun difference maker. Scored personal high 210,960 the other day.

Kent, Thanks for that reply. It had crossed my mind.

Do you recall what wire you had to replace/correct?

#14 4 years ago

It took quite a while to flesh it out. Let me check with Tim and get back.

#15 4 years ago

Hi Mike

I really don't know what is going on at the right side without the legend saying what bank 5B and P are doing.

On the left side where the sequence unit advances from zero to four, there is a tie between three and four that, if broken, would prevent the target bank from resetting after completing the red targets.

We know that the sequence unit is advancing to four because the trip coil is firing when it reaches position four.

Kevin

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_Wing:

Hi Mike
I really don't know what is going on at the right side without the legend saying what bank 5B and P are doing.
On the left side where the sequence unit advances from zero to four, there is a tie between three and four that, if broken, would prevent the target bank from resetting after completing the red targets.
We know that the sequence unit is advancing to four because the trip coil is firing when it reaches position four.
Kevin

5B is all four suit lanes at the top of the playfield made.

P is the target bank reset relay.

I was thinking that 3 to 4 link on the sequence unit also. This would be the first time I had a game an operator modified if it turns out to be the issue. I'll look at it next time I'm at my parent's house which will be a few months.

4 years later
#17 4 months ago

I finally got a chance to circle back to this issue from 4 years ago and still would appreciate some help.

The suggestion to inspect if the original operator had cut the cut the jumper between rivets 3 and 4 showed they were intact.

I have been able to identify that the the sequence unit advances one more position past the 4th position which is putting it past the position that interprets it as the special position. This appears to be my issue. This fifth position coincides with the missing tooth on the stepper gear to keep it from advancing further. This seems out of sync.

I adjusted the follower disc one position so that the missing tooth would align it to the 4th position but that ends up putting the wiper one position short of the jacks pair and never makes any of the hands available.

The above diagnostics have all been evaluated with the game set on 5 ball play.

Further, I set the game to 3 ball and it immediately jumps the sequence unit to 3 queens at game start and then moves past the Royal Flush and won’t allow subsequent specials.

I’m wondering if there is possibly a defect to the missing tooth on the gear on the stepper, that it is at one position too late. I’m writing here for some insight of if grinding off one tooth earlier will solve my problem.

Here is a photo showing the position of the missing tooth in relation to the rivet. Can anyone confirm if the missing tooth is in the same position as on their sequence unit?

IMG_4514 (resized).jpegIMG_4514 (resized).jpeg
#18 3 months ago

I would strongly recommend against modifying the sprocket , I do have an operating lucky hand that resets the royal flush for AAB and can send pics tomorrow if needed.

IMG_1408 (resized).jpegIMG_1408 (resized).jpeg
#19 3 months ago

Thank you for responding. I heard back from another JO owner today and we sorted through it. I will post the solution with photos this weekend.

#20 3 months ago

Sure is nice when you get it sorted out. Gongrats!!

#21 3 months ago

The solution to my problem was related to the reset stop position for the unit. There is a cam adjustment that somehow was misadjusted so far that it allowed the sequence unit to step 5 steps where it is designed to only step 4 steps. Because of this it either over stepped the special after it was earned (a broken logic condition) or if I adjusted the wiper such that the 5th step aligned to the last special rivet the pair of jacks never illuminated because the the sequence unit reset one position off (another broken logic condition).

Below are pictures of the location of the stop cam that can be adjusted, effectively removing the extra step. This is an adjustment I have never encountered in over 25 years of collecting and fixing pinballs.

Sequence 01.pdfSequence 01.pdfSequence 02.pdfSequence 02.pdf
#22 3 months ago

Time-wise, this may be the single longest repair-help thread on Pinside.

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Time-wise, this may be the single longest repair-help thread on Pinside.

The problem was that the game was not with me and I only had very limited access to it a couple of times a year. Finally had some time to dive into how it is supposed to operate.

I will admit it felt good being able to focus on it and really sorting through what was going on vs what was supposed to be going on.

#24 3 months ago

Mike, those stops exist on other step up/Reset steppers but I never knew you could adjust the stop. The part on the actual gear is fixed.

How does it adjust?

#25 3 months ago

Excellent discovery. I had to go and see one for myself. Found it in the catalog too. (It says Replay Unit but I think it's for any resetting stepper.)
Gottlieb Stepper Zero Adjust (resized).jpgGottlieb Stepper Zero Adjust (resized).jpg
There's always more to learn...

/Mark

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Excellent discovery. I had to go and see one for myself. Found it in the catalog too. (It says Replay Unit but I think it's for any resetting stepper.)
[quoted image]
There's always more to learn...
/Mark

That makes sense. It can't just be the switches that open/close when the gear is reset that stop further movement.

In restoring the TKO I'm doing it has an advance unit that has to step 16 times to advance the insert lights and perform other functions. Someone had gotten the cog on the wrong side of the stop and it to be moved to the other side to properly advance. Same deal, stop on the frame, peg on the gear.

#27 3 months ago

It adjusts at the screw where the screwdriver is pointing in the above photo. In my case it was misadjusted to allow the reset condition to reset off a full rivet position, being the heart of my problem.

I need to disassemble a spare resetting stepper unit to see this part as it doesn’t show it discretely in the parts catalog.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jacks-open-special-question-?hl=steamvette and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.