Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jones3 (resized).jpg
Jones2 (resized).jpg
Jones1 (resized).jpg
443Mod (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Is there an easy way or good tool for cleaning the female section of the jones plugs?
I Have the male portion nice and shiny. But the holes are crusted with white powder.

#2 3 years ago

A pipe cleaner dipped in full strength C-L-R (Calcium-Lime-Rust remover). Run the pipe cleaner through each of the female "receptacles". Now get another clean pipe cleaner and dip it in clean water and run it through the terminals you just cleaned with the C-L-R. The water will halt the chemical action of the C-L-R.

#3 3 years ago

That sounds like a great way to do it, Ken. gonna try that. I am still tryin to find a source for a wire brush small enuf to fin in the female side

#4 3 years ago

Yep - as Ken suggests. I use the hard bristle (better scrubbers) ones to clean and the soft (more absorbent) ones for the rinse. Cheap, easy, disposable - or was that a former wife?

#5 3 years ago

Thanks guys.
Much appreciated

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

Cheap, easy, disposable - or was that a former wife?

Not quite sure ANY are cheap???

#7 3 years ago

I did the pipe cleaner and CLR trick last night.
Worked like a champ.

#8 3 years ago

Here's an alternative way to clean these. I assume it's faster and more thorough than the pipe-cleaner method, although I have never tried using pipe cleaners. To use this method, you'll need a Dremel tool and a #443 wire brush attachment.

First you'll need to reduce the diameter of the brush using a bench grinder. You'll end up with something like this:

443Mod (resized).jpg

Now you can use the brush to clean the spring-loaded ears of each socket position by going into the socket from the side:

Jones1 (resized).jpg

After cleaning all of the socket positions, use needle-nose pliers to close the spring-loaded ears:

Jones2 (resized).jpg

Here's the cleaned jones socket:

Jones3 (resized).jpg

It does take a bit of skill to do this type of socket rejuvenation correctly, so this method is probably the most useful for those who will be doing a lot of EM repairs.

As with all jones socket work, it's good to have a couple of salvage sockets on hand so that you can replace any socket positions that have broken spring-ears or solder lugs.

- TimMe

#9 3 years ago

A .22 cal gun cleaning brush works well to clean these.

1 year later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

A .22 cal gun cleaning brush works well to clean these.

Just for the record, a .22 caliber gun cleaning brush does not fit inside female end of jones plugs. How do I know? I just tried it and had to return back to store. I have a .17 caliber on order but haven't it tried yet.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

I have a .17 caliber on order but haven't it tried yet.

.17 caliber works.

LTG : )

#12 2 years ago

Looking forward to cleaning with it thanks!

Question: Is it possible to fit this somehow inside a Dremel or is it perhaps just better to use manually (I ordered a handle for this purpose)?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Is it possible to fit this somehow inside a Dremel or is it perhaps just better to use manually

I'd do it manually. So you don't tear things up. You'll lose a lot of bristles as you go.

I picked up 6 at a shooting supply near me and went through half of them pretty quick.

2 weeks later
#14 2 years ago

OK will do manually. How do you hold them, with a tool or handle or just as is?

#15 2 years ago

I use something similar to the .17cal brush-- a pipe cleaning brush. I cut the loop off the end of the handle, and chuck it up in my cordless drill. Works great, and since the bristles are nylon I don't have to worry about one coming off and causing a short somewhere. Link to what I'm talking about below, but I can get them for 1/4 of this price at my local smoke shop.

amazon.com link »

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

OK will do manually. How do you hold them, with a tool or handle or just as is?

Anything that will hold them and you can turn.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 18.99
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 26.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 197.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 93.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside