Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
Jack's Open (resized).jpg
JOPF (resized).jpg
Jacks Open score reels (resized).jpg
CF PF (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Yes I missed with the switches and steppers, cleaning and adjusting simply to maintain\improve its performance. Not what happened. It WAS working just fine.
The game seems to start perfect resetting everything and will progress thru all balls and end. What it doesn't do is progress thru the pair of jacks than three queens, etc. even though you knock them down. What it does do is run all the score reels like crazy. ALL reels go round and round when you hit anything (I should check anything closer but most anything).

Why did I touch it? We all know why, maybe. It was working just fine. It is very clean and in super nice condition.

Looking for some experienced pointers till I get to it this weekend.

Thanks in advance I will provide more detail as needed.

Why, I ask you, Why did I adjust everything than try it. Steve Young keeps telling me one thing at a time............

CF PF (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

What the heck??? Please ignore that CF playfield don't know how that got there!

#3 1 year ago

Yeah i was about to say that it would probably work better if you actually populated the playfield

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Boltronix:

ALL reels go round and round when you hit anything

All the score reels turn? And they don't stop at zero? That sounds like multiple problems to me. How many switches and steppers did you adjust?

Jacks Open score reels (resized).jpg

All the reels turning at the same time usually only happens during reset. In the schematic above the Score Motor 1A switch closes five times for each 120 degree turn of the score motor, sending five pulses to all of the score reels through four different switches on the AX relay. Each score reel though has its own Runout switch which should open once the score reel reaches zero. So part of your problem (all score reels turning together) could be explained by the AX relay firing after reset when it shouldn't. That would explain why the score motor keeps running too since the AX relay can start the score motor.

But even if the AX relay is firing after the game has started, something else must be carrying the score reels through zero so that the Runout switches close again to allow the reset pulses to get to the score reels. Either that, or all of your score reel runout switches are stuck closed.

Start a new game and let it run through reset and serve up a ball. Then have a look at the AX relay which is paired with the AR relay in an interlock relay configuration. Once ball 1 is served, that interlock relay shouldn't change. Then do whatever you need to do to get the score reels to run together. Does that change the interlock relay from one side to the other?

/Mark

#5 1 year ago

Thanks Mark,

I basically did not adjust anything just cleaned manually tested everything. When I get home Friday I will dig back into this. Just to clarify all reels reset to zero when I start a game. When the ball is in play and hitting switches and targets is when the reels go crazy. I will look at the relays you mention. Yeah it does act like the reels are resetting during gameplay.

Can't wait to dig back into it. I will post back as soon as I check things out.........again.

Thanks,

Walt

JOPF (resized).jpg

#6 1 year ago

Did you change the location of the drop targets?

Attached is how they should be; (courtesy of Vic Camp)

Jack's Open (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Did you change the location of the drop targets?
Attached is how they should be; (courtesy of Vic Camp)

Nice catch, Chuck. His target arrangement is totally verkocked!

#8 1 year ago

Thanks guys first thing I will do in "unverkock" those drop targets! that will solve why when I hit the 2 jacks the sequence does not progress!!!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Boltronix:

Thanks guys first thing I will do in "unverkock" those drop targets! that will solve why when I hit the 2 jacks the sequence does not progress!!!

Certainly makes the game more challenging

7 months later
#10 10 months ago

OK the targets have been corrected! The game starts, all reels go to zero and score motor stops and you can play and the game ends as it should 3 ball or 5 ball game. I cleaned and properly adjusted all switches (apparently not). While playing the score reels act the same as I describe below when I manually press relays.

The issue is,

In the backbox when I manually press the 10's relay the 10's reel turns just fine. When I manually press the 100's relay the 100's, 1,000's and 10,000 relays pull in and these three reels turn. When I manually press the 1,000's relay the 1,000's, and 10,000 relays pull in and these two score reels turn. I am going to get back to it tomorrow morning.

As EM's are for me sometimes when I clean/adjust all relays the game works great other times ..............not so much. I have the schematics and will start reading them tomorrow.

There is not that much to this pin, good grief!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Walt from Plamerton

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from Boltronix:

sometimes when I clean/adjust all relays the game works great other times ..............not so much

Sorry but that was a mistake. This forum is full of posts from people who tried shotgun cleaning & adjustments, and caused more problems than they were originally trying to solve.
What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

Quoted from Boltronix:

when I manually press the 10's relay the 10's reel turns just fine. When I manually press the 100's relay the 100's, 1,000's and 10,000 relays pull in and these three reels turn. When I manually press the 1,000's relay the 1,000's, and 10,000 relays pull in and these two score reels turn.

Have a look at the 9th Position switches on the score reels. For example:

Pinball (resized).png
#12 10 months ago

The pinside system suddenly can't display uploaded images. Sorry.
Now it's working. Go figure.

#13 10 months ago

Thanks,

i will reply after i take a look

#14 10 months ago

i wish i new what the state of the switches on this jacks open are when the score reel is at the 9, 0 and 1 positions

#15 10 months ago

can anyone confirm state of the switches on a jacks open when the score reel is at the 9, 0 and 1 positions?

#16 10 months ago

Good info here.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

Do you have one reel that scores correctly? Compare those switches with the other reels.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside