• Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fuzzyslipperflipper.jpg
skull.JPG
There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

Just got back from MPE and thought I would share what we heard/saw at Jack's talk at MPE just a little while ago (first shared on WOZ forum a little while ago). No major announcements but a few interesting things.
Jack did confirm there will be easter eggs in the game (and he smiled big.) Jack did note that they plan to have video tutorials of maintenance or minor fixes/troubleshooting directly in the game menus.
I asked the favorite question again about the flipper strength ... I asked "Have you really changed anything since the first few prototypes to improve flipper strength, including software/boards/coils, etc and do the 3 WOZ's here have the latest for flippers??" I then immediately took video of Jack's response (below) although bottom line ... there is nothing new that they've done in code release 90. Code release 63 already had the coil strength adjustment (which is defaulted to the strongest .. 32) so if you don't think that's strong enough, sorry. No other hardware changes (new boards) appear to have anything new in regards to flippers.

Another new reveal (to me at least) was that Jack showed us a new image that will/can be shown DURING gameplay (by pressing both flipper buttons simultaneously) that is like a map of what you've done/accomplished and what's left. I took a little video of that too for all:

Sorry for the video quality (darn iPhone). Oh, also Jack did note during his talk that he has this crazy diagram for all of the rules going into the game. He did not show it but after his talk I caught up with him and he was nice enough to hand me his iPad and let me scroll around on the diagram for several minutes (but not take pictures understandably, lol). But let me just say the ruleset is crazy big. I counted at least 14+ modes (5 crystal ball modes, 5 "sepia tone modes", 4 "munchkin modes", etc.) I can recall at least 3 multiball modes but there were probably more. It was so much to look through and I was trying to make sense of it all.

Oh, one last thing .. Jack did note that there WILL BE A SCORE "MULTIPLIER" IN THE SETTINGS. I know this has been a point of frustration for some (low scoring) but it sounds like there will be a setting to have higher scores.

#2 11 years ago

I like the map to get to Battle the Witch.

#3 11 years ago

Zzzz....Zzzz...

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Zzzz....Zzzz...

Must of just played a game of BBH.

#5 11 years ago

Great info and update....Keith said from day one the ruleset would be the deepest ever, "by far"....

#6 11 years ago

Fourteen plus modes?

How many for TSPP?

#7 11 years ago

I like his description of how scoring is overdone these days. Worst was mid-nineties with games like AFM. Hard to get under 200 million on that game.

#8 11 years ago

Jack also briefly discussed warranty. I believe it was 30 days everything is covered ... EVERYTHING .. and then the "main harness" (?) for a year and they're looking at a paid option for an extended warranty.

I really liked the idea that when you have the pinball trapped with a flipper ... you can press the second flipper (both flippers at the same time) and take a quick look at the LCD to see what goals you've accomplished and what you still need. That's a nice option during gameplay (looked pretty cool anyway.)

#9 11 years ago

I was there as well. It was great hearing Jack talk about WOZ and creating JJP. Thank you for posting the rules info! Wow, 14 modes!? Sounds like it will eventually have a very deep ruleset.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Jack also briefly discussed warranty. I believe it was 30 days everything is covered ... EVERYTHING .. and then the "main harness" (?) for a year and they're looking at a paid option for an extended warranty.
I really liked the idea that when you have the pinball trapped with a flipper ... you can press the second flipper (both flippers at the same time) and take a quick look at the LCD to see what goals you've accomplished and what you still need. That's a nice option during gameplay (looked pretty cool anyway.)

Lots of DMD games have this (instant info) but I love the idea of visuals like a map with arrows.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Great info and update....Keith said from day one the ruleset would be the deepest ever, "by far"....

Explaining away the flipper problems as an issue with the plastic buttons and saying "if you're not happy with the flippers you can put another coil on there, but you're gonna smash a lot of stuff on your game" is great? Saying that fault lays with setups that aren't overseen by JJP, even though most of the complaints have come from people playing on machines shown by JJP at shows? Don't know if I'd call that great news.

I'm very happy that there is a confirmed score multiplier in the works, though!

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Yes, it's a great idea. And it has been in every game since what, 1991?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Yes, it's a great idea. And it has been in every game since what, 1991?

I meant the fact that JJP continues to make the most of the LCD. I guess I'm a visual guy and the map with arrows they created conveys much more information.

#13 11 years ago

A bit off this topic ... but Matt of Back Alley Creations was at MPE today too and I caught him pulling aside Aaron (of Skit-B Pinball) showing him a new prototype skull/spine he created for their upcoming Predator game. Thing looked so cool (sorry I didn't get a better picture of it - but it's a good teaser I guess.)

skull.JPGskull.JPG

Better pics:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread/page/66#postbox

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I meant the fact that JJP continues to make the most of the LCD. I guess I'm a visual guy and the map with arrows they created conveys much more information.

we are all visual guys. that's why pins with big busted babes sell well.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

5 "sepia tone modes"

The is really neat.. especially since the first part of WOZ movie is Sepia. I was thinking about his just recently after watching it on Easter. How the part when Doroty's house gets lighted up by the tornado. that was in Sepia. You know the rest i am sure.

-Joe

#16 11 years ago

did jack bring up anything about the hobbit?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

Only very briefly. He noted it was going quicker/easier than WOZ (as he has previously said) and said they would have some good updates on it in a couple of weeks. I thought he previously said on the WOZ forum that there would be an update this coming week but I guess not?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

He did mention (at the presentation) that he's having a meeting this coming week to discuss design of the game. Also, I asked him about the impact of the 3rd film being delayed and if that will impact the machines release date. Jack told me they are still targeting summer 2014 and that a software update could incorporate assets from the 3rd film once its released.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Fourteen plus modes?

How many for TSPP?

That's just right now....and since Keith did Tspp I'm sure we won't be disappointed in the ruleset category, TSPP and LOTR

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's just right now....and since Keith did Tspp I'm sure we won't be disappointed in the ruleset category, TSPP and LOTR

Dumb question ... do you count the various multiballs as "modes"? Because that would be at least 3 more modes right there. I was just counting the specific labels on the diagram I saw that were labeled "modes". I saw 5 "crystal ball modes", 5 "sepia tone modes", and 4 "munchkin modes" I believe. I read the name of each mode .. but no, I don't remember any of them, lol.
Also, there were still a couple of spots/flows on the diagram that were labeled with "?" or TBD. So yes, it appears some things are still to be determined. It was great to just see the DEEP thought going into the game!

#21 11 years ago

I don't understand what Jack was saying regarding the flippers?

He says something to the effect of "at one point in Keith's code, the end of stroke switches, came into play, when at one point they weren't in play, and then strength of coils came into play at one point when they weren't in play...so certain games get set up in certain places, if we're not there, we dont' know how the game is set up". He then goes on to say something about people at one location taking the game because they saw it hit the door.

This was in response to a question about the flipper strength.

Can someone tell me what he's saying? Doesn't make sense to me. Was the code not correctly implementing the EOSs?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

do you count the various multiballs as "modes"?

I wouldn't say you would....and I thought I heard Jack or Keith at some point say there were 5 different multi balls, maybe that's part of the "more to come"

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He says something to the effect of "at one point in Keith's code, the end of stroke switches, came into play, when at one point they weren't in play, and then strength of coils came into play at one point when they weren't in play...so certain games get set up in certain places, if we're not there, we dont' know how the game is set up". He then goes on to say something about people at one location taking the game because they saw it hit the door.
Can someone tell me what he's saying? Doesn't make sense to me. Was the code not correctly implementing the EOSs?

I'm not sure what he meant/said regarding EOS switches, however, I know he made the point that they cannot control prototypes once they go on location. Case in point, one game in Michigan (at Shark Club) I believe they switched out the coils for stronger ones. It was this same game that the monkey plastic was catching on the castle wall so they had to remove the monkey plastic altogether. Might have been an isolated issue.
It wasn't the most straight-forward answer from Jack (and I'm sure Jack is tired of addressing the question), but it sounds like what you see is what you get (which for most is enough strength.) Jack turned to "Butch" to confirm the games (or at least the "game to the far left") had the latest flipper configuration and he didn't disagree ... but they all appeared identical to me which is the same as it has been for a while now.
Even if it's not identical to past Bally/Williams games .. the strength is sufficient to me (IMHO).

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It wasn't the most straight-forward answer (and I'm sure Jack is tired of addressing the question), but it sounds like what you see is what you get (which for most is enough strength.)

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I'm sure you are correct about Jack being tired of addressing the question. That was pretty evident just in the way that he cut you off/interrupted you when you asked the question.

Not only is he tired of answering the question, but he just looked tired *period*. I'm sure he is under a lot of stress right now, wanting to get the pins made and shipping asap.

#25 11 years ago

Even if it's not identical to past Bally/Williams games .. the strength is sufficient to me (IMHO).

Maybe its intentional.... I mean, for gosh sakes, you ARE hitting the ball with a slipper...

fuzzyslipperflipper.jpgfuzzyslipperflipper.jpg

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He's saying they have EOS switches installed, but up to a certain code revision they weren't being used (so everything was purely software timing estimate, instead of knowing for sure when the flipper hit the end of stroke). And then they have the ability to adjust coil strength, but up to a certain code revision that wasn't possible (so it was set to some fixed strength which may or may not have been appropriate for a specific game).

And then with the prototypes, he has no way of knowing how they're being set up at each location by the operators, so if there's a game with flipper issues, it could be the result of something out of his control. The example given was an op removing the plastic monkey because it was hitting the "castle wall" (I suspect the door). I've seen it brush the door in exactly one video, but in all others there seems to be no issue, so it sounds like a quirk with a specific machine.

#27 11 years ago

Thanks for the video uploads OP

Props to Matt, I like that dude.

WOZ is frustrating & exciting. Seems like his talk @ MPE was more of the same. Bummer

I can't wait to see videos from owners, that's what will help JJP more than any trade show pitch.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Jack did confirm there will be easter eggs in the game (and he smiled big.)

Bao

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wouldn't say you would....and I thought I heard Jack or Keith at some point say there were 5 different multi balls, maybe that's part of the "more to come"

Keith talking about the rules at IAAPA

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Jack did note that there WILL BE A SCORE "MULTIPLIER" IN THE SETTINGS. I know this has been a point of frustration for some (low scoring) but it sounds like there will be a setting to have higher scores.

I know this is hotly debated, but these low scores just don't get my blood pumping. Glad to hear this.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I know this is hotly debated, but these low scores just don't get my blood pumping. Glad to hear this.

Stay away from baseball, soccer, hockey, or EM and early SS pinball.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What's the difference between 2,000 and 20,000,00 in reference to scoring (save the cute 19,998,000 answer ).

I loved Jack's initial response to the low scoring.

Jack was a bit elusive about the flipper strength in recent software revisions. But he said the games that were at MPE are representative of what they will be when shipped (we will see). He seemed to be concerned about ball speed versus breaking playfield equipment.

As a guy that prefers EM's the Wizard of Oz has this great feel to it unlike most Sterns. The slower ball speed compared to Sterns is noted, and appreciated. WoZ is a great looking game. My wife loves it. JJP is very close to hitting the bullseye he intended to shoot for.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Keith talking about the rules at IAAPA

Excellent vid.....I think this pin is going to be phenomenal, when it finally gets here, the lcd, crystal ball, and the deep ruleset that can grow deeper over time with updates...the fun factor is going to be off the charts...I might put it right next to AC/DC and Lotr and just rotate plays!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Stay away from baseball, soccer, hockey, or EM and early SS pinball.

Imagine how much better those sports would be if they used a score multiplier! The Rangers beat the Angels 7,000 to 4,000! Argentina defeats Spain 40,000,000 to 10,000,000!

Even football could be amp3d up: Dolphins over the Chiefs 35,000 to 14,000.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Imagine how much better those sports would be if they used a score multiplier! The Rangers beat the Angels 7,000 to 4,000! Argentina defeats Spain 40,000,000 to 10,000,000!

Even football could be amp3d up: Dolphins over the Chiefs 35,000 to 14,000.

Yuck!...My NBA fastbreak is as fun as any pin to play and my kids get it, the scoring makes sense and is great....I think Jack has hit the target with the scoring....this pin isn't just for ordinary pinheads, its intended to appeal to the masses and that's what its getting closer to doing along with the theme, Lcd, and many other things...

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

What's the difference between 2,000 and 20,000,00 in reference to scoring

I own other games, it would be nice to have a consistent scoring experience across them, so that it "feels" right. My other games are not EMs.

Looks like they've got a solution by making it an option. Problem solved.

#37 11 years ago

Targets break in pinball when they choose to.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Targets break in pinball when they choose to.

Or whenever you have a bunch of people over.

#39 11 years ago

Its not only the extra zeros behind it.

But the sound should change too. When i hear "MILLIONS!!" I get more excited then when i hear "5 points!"

You got to get the feeling you did something fantastic and the award should sound and feel worthy.

In gameplay and score nothing changes much, bit the atmohspheer of the game is way better. Especially with the sounds.

If you hear "jackpot" and you get 10 dollar, you would think some one is busting your balls.

In my opninion a 100 million score should be a top score. Bit billions should be barely unreachable. 300 million max by the to players. That would suild my need for points the most.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Its not only the extra zeros behind it.
But the sound should change too. When i hear "MILLIONS!!" I get more excited then when i hear "5 points!"
You got to get the feeling you did something fantastic and the award should sound and feel worthy.
In gameplay and score nothing changes much, bit the atmohspheer of the game is way better. Especially with the sounds.
If you hear "jackpot" and you get 10 dollar, you would think some one is busting your balls.
In my opninion a 100 million score should be a top score. Bit billions should be barely unreachable. 300 million max by the to players. That would suild my need for points the most.

I'm not Jack, but if I was I would set the score to the new precedent......ZILLIONS.

I would make a single switch score a Billion points. Hit ten pop bumpers TEN BILLION POINTS.
Then I would have Gilbert Godfrey scream into a microphone your score.

Don't you just hate it when you play an EM on 5 balls and barely get to 1000 points. What I hate worst of all playing an EM is no one is scream a score a me.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Don't you just hate it when you play an EM on 5 balls and barely get to 1000 points. What I hate worst of all playing an EM is no one is scream a score a me.

What I hate worst about playing an EM is that I'm playing an EM.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

What I hate worst about playing an EM is that I'm playing an EM.

So you like the Gilbert Godfrey idea!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Then I would have Gilbert Godfrey scream into a microphone your score.

Is he the guy that did the troll voices on Rollercoaster Tycoon? If so that would be awesome .

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Is he the guy that did the troll voices on Rollercoaster Tycoon? If so that would be awesome .

You tell us, I haven't played two games of RCT but his voice is distinctive:

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yuck!...My NBA Fastbreak is as fun as any pin to play and my kids get it, the scoring makes sense and is great....I think Jack has hit the target with the scoring....this pin isn't just for ordinary pinheads, its intended to appeal to the masses and that's what its getting closer to doing along with the theme, Lcd, and many other things...

Fastbreak bombed on location and most people hated the scoring. Gomez has specifically pointed to this as being one of the game's major shortcomings in his seminars in recent years. He still thinks it was a cool idea, but admits that most people disliked it. I personally think it's kinda cool from a gimmick perspective, but I'm not surprised it fell flat on location and I could see the lower WOZ scores going over similarly with the public.

It's not one of those things that "should" matter, in theory, and for some reason it does!

#46 11 years ago

Scoring adding 0,000 doesn't help, for all scores would becom 23510000 instead of scores like 23519870, which I like better (i.e. bumpers scoring only 10 points when not in a mode, or the 10-point-switches in games like Pinbot, Jackbot, Road Kings.... completely useless switches apart from sound).

Edit: Everything times 10 would help a bit, and would be better than everything times 1000000 or something like that. Having higher scores AND 10-points, would need some software changes, though that can be programmed in quite a short time I think(most things times 1000, only the 'small-scoring things' times 100 or times 10), but it still costs extra time.

#47 11 years ago

Why do higher scores matter though? I really haven't heard a good reason. Only people saying they want it that way. Most games don't say millions, but instead say Jackpot or Super Jackpot. I prefer the lower scores and it will be nice to say 50,000 is a high score on a machine again.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Why do higher scores matter though? I really haven't heard a good reason. Only people saying they want it that way. Most games don't say millions, but instead say Jackpot or Super Jackpot. I prefer the lower scores and it will be nice to say 50,000 is a high score on a machine again.

I agree. The big numbers I don't like. It's like somebody is trying to make the game better by adding more numbers. It doesn't improve game play at all.
Waste of time and effort IMHO, but I recognize some people like it.

#49 11 years ago

sven: you'll be happy to know that Oz has one_ point increments, which can become ten points with some handy multiplication

#50 11 years ago

I played two of the three WoZs this weekend at MPE and the flippers were plenty strong. No issues hitting the ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 16.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jacks-mpe-talk-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.