You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Micro-Switch-Diode-Wiring.gif
10-23-2015_11-46-05_AM.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Let me start by saying, I'm really new at repairing games

On my Jackbot, switch 28 (right outlane) was not working, so I bought a new switch and soldered it in
place. There are 3 places to hook up wires. I took pictures and soldered back the way they came off.
Between the 1st and 3rd solder, there was some sort of resistor. I put everything back as I thought it
came over. Not sure why there is a resistor. Anyhow, my switch works now, but instead of registering
as switch 28 (right outlane), it's registering as switch 18 (lower drop target). However, if I take the two
wires and touch them together, it's registering as switch 28. Could the switch be bad? Or maybe I got
the resistor to hot when I was trying to unsolder it and I fried it? What's the resistor for? Do I need it?

Here's a picture of what the manual has. It's over my head.

10-23-2015 11-46-05 AM.jpg10-23-2015 11-46-05 AM.jpg

#2 8 years ago

that is not a resistor, it is a diode, and it needs to be in the correct direction (and wired correctly with the wires) or you will get all sorts of switch issues.

#3 8 years ago

Is there a way to tell how it supposed to be. I think the wires are soldered correctly? Could I have messed up the diode if I got it to hot when I was in soldering it?

What does the diode do?

#4 8 years ago

If it's a micro-switch like this.

Micro-Switch-Diode-Wiring.gifMicro-Switch-Diode-Wiring.gif

#5 8 years ago

Yup, looks like that.

How hard is it to fry these diodes? When I had to unsolder it off the old switch, it got REALLY hot.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from 67cutlass:

Yup, looks like that.
How hard is it to fry these diodes? When I had to unsolder it off the old switch, it got REALLY hot.

I had this the other week with my shoot again light on T2, I'm not a wizard at electronics but I had the same issues. I had mounted the diode backwards, doh! (So the light sort of worked but was very weak and on when it shouldn't be) Like you I was afraid the constant soldering etc would cause it to fail as it was getting very hot but after swapping it over but it is still going strong so I'd imagine they can get quite hot before they fail, just don't do it for long periods.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from 67cutlass:

Yup, looks like that.

"looks like that" meaning, that is the type of switch, or "looks like that" meaning that is how you have wired, with the band on the diode on the correct side reactive to the wires and the switch? it needs to be exactly has shown.

Can you destroy a diode with heat, yes, but hard to do, but if you are new to this and depending on the type of soldering iron you are using, it is possible. Most DMMs have a diode check feature you can use. But easy enough to replace. Radio Shack does carry them (at bout 5 times what they should cost), most of the parts vendors also carry them.

Assuming it worked before and still not working, post a photo, maybe there is something else going on we can spot for you.

#8 8 years ago

Looks like that meaning it's that type of switch. There's a post local called Chester's electronics that has them, otherwise Amazon had them.

It was working at all before, so I replaced the switch.

#9 8 years ago

Amazon has 25 of the diodes for $3.82 shipped.

#10 8 years ago

Is it wired exactly as shown on the switch? You likely have the diode backwards or the wires reversed.

#11 8 years ago

Note the "NC", "NO" and "COM" on the switch. These letters will be embossed on your new switch. The banded side of the diode must go to the "COM" lug, green to "NO" and the unbanded side of the diode and the white wire go to "NC".

#12 8 years ago

THAT WAS IT!!!! I had the diode soldered backwards.
I bought a new diode, tested both ways and that was my issue.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from 67cutlass:

THAT WAS IT!!!! I had the diode soldered backwards.

Glad you got it resolved. Probably won't be the last time you do that either, but now you know what to look for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jackbot-switch-28-reading-as-switch-18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.