JackBot Left ramp help needed...

By indierocklocks

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys,

I purchased a JackBot recently with some left ramp issues needing to be addressed. The little drop ramp magnetic coil was disconnected when I bought it & the power driver board had some burnt crispy components, which I was hoping I could just replace and have the issue solved. That's not the case and I'm kind of stuck now. Any help would be greatly appreciated....here is a list of what was cooked, what I've replaced, and the issues. I think the drop ramp coil (which teasted fine) is the main issue. That's located on the BRN-BLU wire on J127, pin 7.

-q48 was completely burnt. I replaced it.
-r81 was completely burnt. I replaced it.
-r80 was compeltely burnt. I replaced it.
-d19 was very close to the burnt q48. I replaced it.
-q47 was very close to the burnt q48. I replaced it.

The microswitch for "Ramp open" was detached. I got some screws and secured it. It does what its supposed to in switch edge test mode. The action for the ramp up & down is pretty smooth when I do it by hand. So I don't think it's a mechanical issue. I looked at the board for burnt traces, nothing looks bad. I reflowed the solder on the pins for J127.

Upon replacing the parts, I fired up the game and went into test mode. Ramp raise works just fine. But when I activate Drop Ramp, it works BUT the coil stays on and starts getting hot FAST....usually blowing a fuse.

I thought it might be U4, so I replaced that as well. No luck.

I double checked that I didn't get any bad parts but they seem to test fine with my DMM. The only two components I didn't touch were R78 & R79 in that circuit.

Here are the two manuals I've been using:
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Williams%20WPC%20Schematic%20manual.pdf (Page 5 has been mainly where I'm at)
https://www.ipdb.org/files/3619/Williams_1995_Jack_Bot_English_Manual.pdf

If you need any photos or have any questions please let me know.

#2 3 years ago

You can unplug the coil from the driver board and activate it in test mode then use a logic probe to walk backward from the driver board connector to see where the problem starts. I also have a WPC bench test rig, if you want some hands-on support shoot me a DM.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from adalogue:

You can unplug the coil from the driver board and activate it in test mode then use a logic probe to walk backward from the driver board connector to see where the problem starts. I also have a WPC bench test rig, if you want some hands-on support shoot me a DM.

Sounds good! Appreciate the next step....Got my hands on a logic probe and I’ll be taking a look this weekend. Don’t tell my wife I’m downstairs probing Pinbot & Bride of Pinbot. Lmao.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jackbot-left-ramp-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.