skitb_update.jpg
TH_glass.jpg
jjp.jpg
clint-eastwood-557.jpeg
9015268_500.jpg
dr_DaveChappelle_CS_w600_h389.jpg
Darth_Vader_Grip.jpg
HOB.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

the new Kiss LE has an MSRP of $8,795.

For the millionth time I would like to know if anyone has ever paid MSRP for a Stern machine? Street price is nowhere near that.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Breaking News!
Guy just signs up to be a Troll

Actually he has been here a year, but yeah ever thread he has posted in has been something negative about JJP.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The point is that for $7500, you get more with JJP than you do with Stern.

Maybe more by weight, but nowhere near as much fun. WOZ gets the least love of any game in my house.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Stern is trying to catch up to JJP technologically.

Haha, just because they have a color display does not make them ahead technologically. The JJP system may be powerful but putting a huge, bloated PC in a metal box in the bottom of a pinball machine is a square peg in a round hole. SPIKE is far more elegant, easier to manufacture, easier to assemble, easier to maintain, easier to make profit with and so on. It can also do stereo sound and multiple color displays.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

SPIKE is far more elegant,

A matter of opinion, certainly. You don't really explain how this is the case, though, so it's impossible to argue.

They have used high tech automotive communication to eliminate nearly all of the switch and lamp wiring for simple RJ45 cables and at the same time moved the coil drivers right onto the bottom of the playfield to eliminate another mile of unneeded wiring. All of this increasing reliability and ease of troubleshooting. Not to mention the cost of the materials and the elimination of the need to fabricate nearly as much wiring by hand. Also, the base of the cabinet is basically empty. This makes it a lot easier to work on compared to that metal box in the bottom of the cabinet.

Than buying a pc? If you're making your own board, there's no way it's easier; it's just not possible.

See above.

easier to make profit with

Considering the length of development and the savings they may have actually put together, I'm going to have to laugh at this one for a few years.

See above. Not sure how saving all of that material, manufacturing labor and simplifying the system wont save money?

Has that happened yet?

Has that happened yet?

No to both. Never said it did. I was making the point that Stern is not behind in technology. In fact they are ahead, even if JJP system is more "powerful" from the standpoint of graphics.

Oh well, it is only pinball. STLE sits right next to WOZ in my gameroom.

Please, continue to enlighten us.

Maybe it is time to get over the spite and lift the hood on a new Stern and enlighten yourself. I am certainly not smart enough to do so and I know no one from Stern will be defending themselves here any time soon.

Just to bring this back to topic. I am looking forward to playing Hobbit. I love drop targets and the idea of 15 individually controllable drops is intriguing to me.

#137 8 years ago

Reliability is a possibility. Ease of troubleshooting i might also grant you. However, you kind of forgot the biggest one, which is serviceability. I'm led to believe (correct me if I'm wrong) all of Spike is SMT now. For the vast majority of people, that is not serviceable. So when a coil goes down, you're stuck until you can order a board, receive it, and replace it. Meanwhile, if your game is on route, depending on what it is that blew up your game is down that whole time.
Vs. replacing a transistor and diode.
Also I wonder how much those boards cost. Given what I've been hearing about parts sales recently, I'm guessing you're in for a $100 if a coil goes out.

Sorry, but those transistors are not surface mount. Easily serviced in the field or replaced with cheap spare board and service the broken one at the shop. Much easier than hanging over the machine to get into that terribly placed metal box... my operator friends love SPIKE already and are not so nice when they discuss system JJP.

Not worth debating any more if you did not even know this.

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

SPIKE has 2.1 stereo. Both WWE and KISS are in stereo.

I think you may be wrong there at least on WWE. KISS would make sense to be in stereo so hopefully they got that in place.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Surface Mount won't end up being a problem.

Once again, not sure why this is being repeated? The drivers are not surface mount. Just like the SAM boards. Everyone said they were surface mount when they came out on WPT, because a lot of the parts like the CPUs and memory were. Ended up that Stern had smartly put through hole parts in the locations that might have to be field replaced. I have replaced a few of them and have been thankful for this.

The transistors are pretty plain to see in the picture below. How cool is it have the drive transistors for the flippers and the ball trough and shooter lane so close to the actual coils and save all that wire and harnessing and labor? Makes troubleshooting all that much easier not having to follow wires into the backbox and put the playfield up and down to hook up a meter (or drop screws down into a metal box in the bottom of the cabinet). Nearly everything is on the back of the playfield and yet it does not look crowded. The SPIKE system is definitely an evolution if not a revolution in pinball systems. Round peg in a round hole.

Spikedrivers.jpgSpikedrivers.jpg
#343 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Bullshit ! I get so tired of this shit !

I have STLE and WOZ LE next to each other and the most obvious difference is the lack of GI lighting and flashers in WOZ and the different displays. Aside from that they both look like money. Lets not even compare the game play LOL.

Quoted from jsrfo:

"The customer is always wrong". I couldn't disagree with that statement more.

I'll start by saying JJP tech support is top notch. Lloyd and Alex have really done a great job and are seemingly available 24x7x365 over the Internet to help with problems.

The problem with your statement is that we are all "customers" here on Pinside whether we have bought a JJP machine or not. We are the customer base, plain and simple. The snarky comments made frequently here, at shows and on RGP by JJP, Alex and/or Keith are the source of the hard feelings including the "customer is always wrong". You reap what you sew. JJP has plenty of people and the mods here to defend them. They don't need to get involved and throw barbs here. If they had kept it positive, these feelings would not be so predominate.

Funny thing is when I go to shows and gatherings where people talk privately one-on-one or in groups, the negative feelings toward JJP are much stronger and more common than here on Pinside. I sometimes have to find myself defending JJP even though I am no fan of the pompous way they do business.

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Literally only a handful of chipped playfields out of a couple/few thousand games.

And most of them preventable if they had thought to do what was done in every other modern pinball machine: put mylar in the pop bumper area. Duh?

#365 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Stern hasn't delivered a great machine since ACDC.

Forgot the "IMO" on that statement. Star Trek and Metallica were both released since ACDC and both are great games (IMO). Both are also rated higher than WOZ, not that it matters.

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What types of problems did you see?

Two of the best pins of all time had terrible designs that caused the playfield around the VUK to be eaten alive starting on the first game played until there was a huge hole there and missing artwork. I'm talking of course about AFM and MB. Imagine if Stern or JJP put out something that got eaten up like that and not just on a handful of games? Every MB and AFM had that problem.

#417 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have. I've done literally everything. Hopefully JJP will pull through with a permanent fix for me.

I thought this was fixed by an EMI seal and some filter magnets? The problem is with static electricity in the low humidity months. Get with Alex if no one else can help you.

#463 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Complete manual is stored digitally and accessible from the machine. I see the printed manual as more of a coffee table item myself.

The digital manual on the machine is useless, especially if the machine is BROKEN. The coffee table book is an awesome option for people who don't actually work on their machines themselves, but the game should come with a black and white printed version.

#497 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Seriously? It is 2015 guys we don't have to print so damn much. The WOZ manual is 380 pages - I don't need JJP to print the whole thing out. I can just get what I need. I work as a software consultant and have spent years moving technical manuals and technical specs to digital because they are very mobile (you don't need to have a stack of binders/manuals), to have great searching - ever try to scan a manual looking for something and it take forever - or you missed it. Digital: you can search for in seconds? Zooming, notes, no color printing costs, and on and on...What is wrong with some of you people?

They don't have to print even half of those pages. A lot of them are fluff that is not needed for field work. Just the basic schematics and wiring diagrams and diagnostics, etc. Probably 50-75 pages would do. It is nice to have them inside the machine when you need it.

No need to tell me about killing trees or digital material. When you work in aerospace, you assume anything printed more than 8 hours ago in outdated and throw it away or verify it against the latest files in the configuration controlled document area online. Printed manuals at you desk gathering dust are a no no when the ISO9000 auditors come a knocking. I've been working in my present engineering job for over 6 years and have zero manuals or printed material at my desk at any given moment. Everything is on my laptop or sharedrive and everything is up to date. That type of control is needed at the factory where the pinball machine is built but not at the end user.

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

To sit at work while you either neglect your business or waste your Boss' money as you waste your day and night reading and posting here for absolutely no positive outcome. Yeah, OK - you were right - congrats!

That is a broad brush painting a lot of people as losers! Surely in a few cases it is true, but your broad brush hit and insulted a lot of people who don't deserve it. I work hard and don't read or post to pinside from work. And I certainly am worth every penny I am paid.

While you like to project a holier than thou image of walking on water, you have made blunders and been called out on them. To think you haven't brought a lot of it on yourself is foolish. There is a big difference between talking about delays and saying JJP is going out of business. I doubt there are more than a handful of people on Pinside who think JJP will go out of business before every single Hobbit is produced. Yet you lump anyone who criticizes JJP into that small group and even worse you have created a straw man where people actually wish JJP to go out of business. Paranoid much?

#619 8 years ago
Quoted from GetTheJackpot:

I thought you said you were done with this thread?

I think it is self explanatory. He was done and harassing PMs brought him back to send a message.

Quoted from Honch:

I hope you're kidding. If anyone at JJP is using pm's to defend their position, that's pathetic.

Quite common for them actually.

#623 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I think there is a difference between raising concerns, and speculation. Unfortunately there are a few on here that jump to conclusions and raise unnecessary flags.
No-one is perfect, but I think Jack is very brave to post here. At least he is posting. I think these guys are working very hard and are very passionate about what they do. If I was in my workplace and received the same amount of ridicule and speculation as is dished out here, I would probably say, adios and go somewhere where my labors were appreciated. It seems like Jack and his team are damned if they do, or damned if they don't. If he posts here, people are ready to pounce on every nuance he says. Meanwhile some good points are made, like most people here. If he doesn't post, speculation runs rampant and people think the worst. There is no-one here, myself included, that doesn't open their mouth and say the wrong thing, at some point. In my workplace, thank goodness, people look beyond the goofy mistakes they say during the day, and we try to look beyond that. Seems to me there is way to much jumping on people instead of looking beyond the silly comments. Give them a break for Pity's sake. I'm just grateful they are standing up for themselves. From my perspective, they also listen to their customers for positive critisism of their product.

I agree with most of what you say and live my life that way regarding goofy mistakes and pity for pity sake, but I think you missed the point being made here in this thread. Maybe you are not well versed in the history because this has been going on for years. Rather than thumbs downing your post, I will ask that you re-read posts 613, 609 and 621 above.

#650 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

There are quite a few presidents, but I don't see much maligning to those individuals.

They didn't bring it on themselves by getting down and slinging dirt in the forum. They simply mind to their own businesses and give us updates.

#653 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

More and more delays how long before the license for the movie runs out? Or has it already? Who knows

I doubt that severely. They will be making them for as long as they are selling just like WOZ.

#685 8 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

B) "Some people had the bumpers turned up way high and caused damage" says Jack.

That may be the "direct cause" in a very few cases, but the "root cause" in all cases was neglecting to put in $0.75 worth of mylar in the pop bumper area like every other game came from the factory since the beginning of time.

#713 8 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

It just underscores how I view the move to LCD panels in the backglass as the next generational leap that eventually all manufacturers will take. It's the best form of display available today

I'd like a smaller LCD in the speaker panel and not "in" the backglass. The same size display as in a 14 inch laptop would be perfect and insure mass production pricing. This will leave room for a full size backglass/translite, which I don't want to give up. Personally I think the JJP machines look goofy with that big display. It is simply too big.

#726 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

If they add an LCD you know the price is going to go up at least $500.

Why is that? The LCD will most likely be cheaper than the pricey LED displays they have been using. As long as they keep the development costs down for the on-screen content, the price should not go up nearly that much if at all.

#733 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

LCD for LE and Premium, dmd for Pro?

That would be even more expensive from a development standpoint having to develop two systems, not to mention the LED displays are really expensive compared to LCDs.

Quoted from chessiv:

Generating unique content for an LCD is going to be much more expensive than a dmd.

It all depends on how the use the display. Sure if they try to do a lot of fancy stuff it will take more time to develop. On the other hand they may just start out with colorized dots like ColorDMD. Either way, I look forward to getting rid of those crappy LED DMDs. Not only are the LED displays themselves more expensive ($300) than the old plasma ones or an LCD, the 8x8 grid pattern looks terrible. Not to mention reliability - I have had an LED go out on one. Good riddance.

#739 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

higher display costs (they've replaced it now)

Since when?

#770 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

November or December seems more likely to me.

Maybe its a good thing it bombed at Expo? It mid-June 2015 and its sounds like they are still working hard on basic features of the software for another few months. If it had shipped in 2014 as planned, it might have had Alpha software. Now at least it should ship with fairly complete software.

#774 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really can't figure you out, John. On one hand, you say some of the most scathing things about JJP, and then on the other you say the most well thought out, supportive things. You're a mystery wrapped inside an enigma, man...

I need to work on my scathing tone a little. Seriously though I like the Hobbit theme and love drop targets, so would be disappointed if this is not a really fun game. My feelings towards JJP are another matter and don't block my desire to play a game with 15 individually controlled drop targets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-guarnieri-nw-pinball-talking-points?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.