skitb_update.jpg
TH_glass.jpg
jjp.jpg
clint-eastwood-557.jpeg
9015268_500.jpg
dr_DaveChappelle_CS_w600_h389.jpg
Darth_Vader_Grip.jpg
HOB.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those summary ratings don't give the full story. Any number of factors can go into why those statuses are listed. It also doesn't show the time span or the types of debt. It really doesn't tell you very much without some details.

Sure it does - D&B are the kind of resources people use to decide if they will extend someone credit terms, etc and is used as a indicator of the risk or past performance of a company in paying their bills.

You don't need to know how far in debt they are, or to whom, when the question is "Do these guys pay their bills?".

A report like this mean when they goto another supplier and say "We'd like to order a bunch of supplies.. and we'd like NET60 terms" - the supplier is going to go... "uhh... payment up front - no net terms" - which if you are in a cash crunch... makes things even harder.

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

This isn't publicly accessible. Go to D&B and try to look it up.

Simply because you need to PAY to have access to the data - not that the data is confidential.

#207 8 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Oh Ye very few of little Faith......or no horse in the race......it will all be seen in what we do, not what someone writes or even a D&B Report that we refuse to pay a huge toll fee them to update....

Well for the D&B report to go 'poor' in the first place.. you need behavior to move it that way
Not interested in paying to update? You aren't concerned with barriers to getting credit and terms with suppliers... as a MANUFACTURING COMPANY? Yeah, that passes the sniff test...

Translation: We think we can press on besides our past transgressions and we have what we need to succeed...

But we heard that story before too..

#302 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

.That is quite a assumption to make that people would line up to pre pay for game three.

Not really... they keep buying game after game unseen after having prior games turn out to be turds. People still want to believe and can't help themselves.

People gave JPOP money for game #3 before he even delivered anything but some art created by someone else... if that doesn't tell you how eager some people are..

#441 8 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Its not, it just shows if anything how prevelant Stern is to make it through tough pinball economical times as that. [...] I would assume if this were to happen again, which hopefully it doesn't that they would make it through a 2nd time.

You do know... that the Stern you know today did not survive that storm.. Stern as you know it today is a rebranding of two previously failed companies. Stern Electronics which sold out to Data East (in the time period of this article)... which sold out to Sega after the next pinball downturn... which sold to Gary Stern.. after failing to survive the downturn.

Gary has proven to be thrifty to survive the lean times of the 2000s... but he didn't survive the bust of 1985

#468 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Couple things to point out here: SEI has no relationship whatsoever to Data East. The sale of DE to Sega had more to do with DE's operations (mostly Japanese) than the current state of pinball (which was decent at the time). The sale of Sega to Stern DID prevent a shutdown, no doubt about that one, as did bringing on Hagerty Peterson in 2009.

The SEI to DE transition is certainly misquoted a bunch.. but the only reference I see to counter it is the one post from Orin back in RGP days (the one linked from pinwiki). What did DE acquire to start their pinball? Just people assembled by Gary? And how did Gary detach from SEI... and what happened to SEI assets? Stern Pinball claims to have access to them now.. so where is that continuity? Any insight keefer?

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I just checked the ramp modifications info and its been deleted. Dang!

And people pinched a fit when robin tried to take the edit power away from users... cases like the above are real and a detriment.

#534 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We've got to chat and reminisce sometime! I also ran a BBS that participated in Fidonet. I'm still in the list of them: http://bbslist.textfiles.com/336/
I remember that era well. Kathy Ireland images burned up my modem.

Woah.. time warp on that website. Screw who has the best LED kits.. who has the best AT string to optimize their USR??

#587 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I don't really like playing proto games at conventions. Seems like they gimp the machine for one reason or another. Either the slope is fucked, or you can't hear the damn thing.
I just want this machine to come out so I can play it in person in a real arcade setting.

I'll take it over not getting to play it at all But I'm in the same boat.. I don't like waiting in lines just to play a single game or so.. if their is little to no line I'll jump in. Lucky for us Joe@pinstar brings a lot of these types of games (woz, amh, etc) to the shows in PA and we get to play them there without too much drama.

#758 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I'm not an expert at business economics (obviously) but you're right, it's strange that it led to the opposite, which is usually competition would lower prices.
Maybe that's a sign of a market that's under realized... you get competition, and prices go up! Craziest thing ever.

Jjp demonstrated there was market demand for a 'luxury' version of games while stern had been trying year after year to cut as much of the game out as possible under the guise that keeping the price down was mandatory for success. But in doing so stern had started to cut 'muscle' out of the game, not just fat. The market prices went up not because of more supply (which is what drives prices dow) but rather proving demand was there for an upscale product the sole supplier was not offering

Once the higher end was doing well, that softens expectations on low end price and those get to creep up as well in the vacuum created

#760 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

stern started the LE model when he took on a private equity partner

They also did a lot of other product expansion too... The take away is the new partner forced new product thinking vs gary's chasing the penny pinching operator as 90% of their market.

#870 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If you read my post, I said *would* have worked on the Hobbit. If prepay wasn't so broken now, JJP could have started taking prepays on JJP3 or JJP4 to easily get the ball rolling on Hobbit production. Then as production begins, more orders roll in and everything moves along as it should. But my guess is that JJP had to show off the Hobbit at shows a little longer to get more orders...or get a loan. Or maybe it wasn't about money at all and was just because of other stuff. I don't have any inside information so it's just speculation.
But I'm confident that Hobbit production will start soon...and JJP will move away from the prepay model as soon as they can.
And yea - the Hobbit is late. It's pretty common knowledge that the game shown at expo last year was weak...so they had to go back and redo it in order to make it awesome. That created delays. I'd much rather wait longer and get a great game instead of a mediocre one. I wish Stern was as open to initial feedback as JJP is - maybe then I would buy more Sterns.

Isn't innocent so cute??

#879 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

? What are you referring to ?

Well lets walk through it
- you say people would happily line up and prepay for JJP3 and JJP4. Based on what? Do we agree there is a big difference between prepaying for the 'pending' game and games further down the line? From a company that has a 100% hit ratio when it comes to prolonged delays?

Ignore Skit-B and JPop - would people really do that in numbers? They haven't before.. and every JJP *DELIVERABLE* up till now would be working against that

- you say "Or maybe it wasn't about money at all and was just because of other stuff."
I agree neither of us know the details... but what we do know is they were already late in showing something they were facing their own deadline on and the market was doubting them. They had to show something.. else face the pitchforks because even more confidence would be lost

- you say "But I'm confident that Hobbit production will start soon...and JJP will move away from the prepay model as soon as they can"
Confident based on what? Pretty much everything but 'it has to happen eventually' eats at this kind of confidence. JJP continues to show signs of cash flow issues... JJP has not come through with promises to resolve their manufacturing constraints... they haven't done much IMO to show they won't repeat the same teething problems inbetween prototype and production

- you say "That created delays"
You ignore how late that game shown was itself. And for all the playfield tweaking happening since then - what of all the other game code that should have seen this new delay as EXTRA time? No, it too is very far behind and needing every bit of this 'EXTRA' time to just keep up.. and will the game even be complete at launch? No peeps on that front...

I say innocence because... your optimism seems to be from closing your eyes to past and current performance and hoping for the best. IMO - their actions don't match that optimism. I do think Hobbit will get built... but I am scared on what it means to actually get all the pre-orders built and frankly have a degree of concern they won't get all built.

#880 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I may get flamed for this ...

No flames from me.. thx for the feedback.

#919 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

A late delivered great Hobbit will hurt JJP
However...
A shit on time delivered Hobbit could have killed JJP

So what do you think a shit, late delivered Hobbit would cause? This? Because that's what expo was..

All the defenses about 'they had to improve the game' ignore the game was already late.. and still isn't done. Forget about production for a minute.. the game itself isn't done yet.. a year+ late. The rework didn't cause the initial delays, the rework alone isn't responsible for the additional delays.

I get (and agree) - doing the game right and reworking it was the right thing to do. But it is not a 'get out of jail free' card for the past delays or the current delays with no confident timeline.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-guarnieri-nw-pinball-talking-points?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.