TH_glass.jpg
jjp.jpg
clint-eastwood-557.jpeg
9015268_500.jpg
dr_DaveChappelle_CS_w600_h389.jpg
Darth_Vader_Grip.jpg
HOB.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 20.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Man, I love David Thiel and his work. Very impressive. You can tell he loves what he does! And he's damn good at it.
He talked about how he wasn't going to give a lot of details about the custom dialog call outs because "it's still a work in progress" and they found a sound alike for Ian McKellen, and his work will need to be approved by the licensor.
Sounds like Hobbit is a long way from production.

Good point. When i heard that, my first thought was:
"Oh shit, Thiel just went off the 'the delays are because of the damn suppliers!' script"

Though, theoretically, the game could ship without custom callouts, right?

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That all gets added in code/updates. The voices added to ST didn't hold it up either

True mines been in my basement for years.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That all gets added in code/updates. The voices added to ST didn't hold it up either

and on a completely unrelated note to this comment - Pinchroma do you check your PMs? I need me some powder coating...are you still doing that?

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

We're talking quality...not quantity.
And again...let me remind you that Stern had a 40 year head start. Give Jack 40 years and get back to me.

Yes Jack has put out a single very good game but for people like me who can't get past the damn munchkin soundtrack that makes my ears bleed he has yet to make a game for me.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

More innovation and features .... and more weight .... and more waiting.
Fun is subjective - to each his own.

I agree! Stern has like 3 or 4 teams working concurrently - so yes, they crank out the games. Some good, some great and some stinkers. JJP can't afford to have even one stinker at this stage...

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Comparing code to ST on release doesn't give me the warm fuzzies!

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Comparing code to ST on release doesn't give me the warm fuzzies!

I've never played it so I have no basis for comparison in that regard.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

and on a completely unrelated note to this comment - Pinchroma do you check your PMs? I need me some powder coating...are you still doing that?

Only doing it for local folks. Honestly don't have the time to sneak pin parts through. Way too much work. I can help you with color selection though.

A new color for example... Since we brought up ST, this is the color that SHOULD have been on it

#59 8 years ago

Just watched the video, and I must say I was pretty damn impressed with what Jack and his team are doing, and how they're going about it. I thought WOZ was fun to play, but the theme did absolutely nothing for me, so there was zero chance I was picking one up. TH looks like a great layout, really nice looking art, and a ton of things to shoot for in it.
I'm excited to get to play it when it makes it's way to the Expo in October.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Only doing it for local folks. Honestly don't have the time to sneak pin parts through. Way too much work. I can help you with color selection though.
A new color for example... Since we brought up ST, this is the color that SHOULD have been on it
» YouTube video

Wow!!

#61 8 years ago

sorry, one game every two or three years is not a recipe for success

who knows if he will be around (and if spare parts will be available) in three years?

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

who knows if he will be around (and if spare parts will be available) in three years?

Ask the folks that paid into Predator or MG or AIW or RAZA if delivering a game in 2 years sounds like success?

I'm certainly no JJP cheerleader, but the guy said he'd build a new pinball machine.
(many have said the same)
He actually delivered.
(THATS a much smaller fraternity)

#63 8 years ago

Everyone better pull their money out and ensure his failure. Who needs more pinball right?

</sarcasm>

#64 8 years ago

Lol I had no idea David was reading what I was writing on the live feed... Could everyone in the room see it?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ask the folks that paid into Predator or MG or AIW or RAZA if delivering a game in 2 years sounds like success?
I'm certainly no JJP cheerleader, but the guy said he'd build a new pinball machine.
(many have said the same)
He actually delivered.
(THATS a much smaller fraternity)

Are you positive about this? Breaking news again

#66 8 years ago

Thanks for the link Damonator, great stuff!

#67 8 years ago

December.....2016. Maybe.

#68 8 years ago

Stern and JJ are the only companies in the world that have produced more than 1000 pins in the last 2 to 3 years. Pinball is hard work.

#69 8 years ago

Really enjoyed the presentation. Thanks! You recharged my patience batteries.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

December.....2016. Maybe.

I doubt you will have to wait that long - I suspect people early in the preorder will get theirs this fall. Depending on when you ordered yours it will likely be winter or even into next spring before you get it.

Hang in there.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Marketing is largely irrelevant if they can't get in parts and actually build the games.

LOL. tell that to everybody having orgasms over seeing the Magic Girl purplewood.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

To compair JJP to Stern is a joke JJP started in 2011 in that time Stern has put out 13 new games and that does not count all the LE games or MMR and IM VE

Stern is trying to catch up to JJP technologically. JJP is trying to catch up to Stern in terms of production speed.

You're right it's not a fair comparison. Stern had a 30+ year head start. But I bet if you looked at what Stern did in the first half-dozen years, it's a fraction of what JJP has accomplished.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Stern is trying to catch up to JJP technologically.

Haha, just because they have a color display does not make them ahead technologically. The JJP system may be powerful but putting a huge, bloated PC in a metal box in the bottom of a pinball machine is a square peg in a round hole. SPIKE is far more elegant, easier to manufacture, easier to assemble, easier to maintain, easier to make profit with and so on. It can also do stereo sound and multiple color displays.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Haha, just because they have a color display does not make them ahead technologically. The JJP system may be powerful but putting a huge, bloated PC in a metal box in the bottom of a pinball machine is a square peg in a round hole. SPIKE is far more elegant, easier to manufacture, easier to assemble, easier to maintain, easier to make profit with and so on. It can also do stereo sound and multiple color displays.

Boom!!

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

That is, of course, just your opinion and you are entitled to it... even though it is wrong. JJP is following the model that the rest of the coin-op industry had been headed since about the mid-late 2000's. I'm not aware of any major arcade platform today that is not PC based. For the record, Spike runs Linux so it seems Stern is headed in that direction too, but with their own proprietary PCB design rather than something off the shelf. Not sure how you come the conclusion it will be easier to build/assemble/maintain given all that

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

For the record, Spike runs Linux so it seems Stern is headed in that direction too

I believe JJP uses Ubuntu (a Linux based OS) as well. I don't know why it has to be a Stern vs JJP fight with some people. PS4 vs XBOX One, Microsoft vs Apple, etc. etc.

You don't have to choose 1 or the other guys - I sure don't. I get both...

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It's just human nature to pick a side and defend it I think. Gibson vs Fender, Chevy vs Ford, weed vs coke...

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I believe JJP uses Ubuntu (a Linux based OS) as well. I don't know why it has to be a Stern vs JJP fight with some people. PS4 vs XBOX One, Microsoft vs Apple, etc. etc.

I have a basement full of Sterns, classics and modern. I love them dearly. If I have just a few minutes for a quick smackdown I will fire up Tron or Metallica every time. They are awesome. But to claim that Stern is pushing the bleeding edge technologically is downright silly. They are working within a well established space and iterating based upon a proven formula. There is nothing wrong with that AT ALL.

I played Kiss and TWD for this first time this weekend at the NW show and you know what? They *felt* like a Stern. Super fun, fast and loud games... but I felt like I had played them before, you know? I also got a few games of the Hobbit it. It felt like nothing I'd ever played before. It was a completely new experience for me. And THAT is what I am looking to the JJP team to do: to bring a totally new game experience to market.

#79 8 years ago

No idea how Jack maintains his sanity. Or Stern for that matter.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

putting a huge, bloated PC in a metal box in the bottom of a pinball machine is a square peg in a round hole.

You have no idea how incredibly powerful and versatile that system is. All future pinball games will be running some variation of Unix. Including Stern. This means the hardware/software is basically independent of the game.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Haha, just because they have a color display does not make them ahead technologically. The JJP system may be powerful but putting a huge, bloated PC in a metal box in the bottom of a pinball machine is a square peg in a round hole.

Huge, bloated? I seriously doubt many pc enthusiasts would be thrilled with our specs.

Besides, it got the job done, and considering Stern's been working on Spike since March 2011 at least, I'd say it did its job quite well, quickly, and efficiently.

Quoted from John_I:

SPIKE is far more elegant,

A matter of opinion, certainly. You don't really explain how this is the case, though, so it's impossible to argue.

Quoted from John_I:

easier to manufacture,

Than buying a pc? If you're making your own board, there's no way it's easier; it's just not possible.

Quoted from John_I:

easier to assemble,

? It's still a cpu board and has a lot of the same outputs it would seem.

Quoted from John_I:

easier to maintain,

I seriously doubt anyone is working on a pc or any spike board. All I've heard are complaints, but you have to consider how people talk to me, too.

Quoted from John_I:

easier to make profit with

Considering the length of development and the savings they may have actually put together, I'm going to have to laugh at this one for a few years.

Please, continue to enlighten us.

Quoted from John_I:

It can also do stereo sound

Has that happened yet?

Quoted from John_I:

and multiple color displays.

Has that happened yet?

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

TH will weigh 40 lbs more than WOZ (OUCH!).

135419.jpg135419.jpg
#83 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Maybe more by weight, but nowhere near as much fun. WOZ gets the least love of any game in my house.

And it gets the MOST in my house, your point is?

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

your point is

John has a much bigger collection than you do. If all I had was three games and one was WOZ with the other two old Data east. Woz would attract more people than the other two.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No idea how Jack maintains his sanity. Or Stern for that matter.

everyone who runs their own business has an ego
some have bigger egos than others, but they all believe that they are right

#86 8 years ago

Friendly reminder, this is a topic about JJP talking points at NE; More specifically: about discussing The Hobbit. I sure didn't come here to read more "JJP vs Stern" arguments. That's so... 2012. Please keep it on topic.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Friendly reminder, this is a topic about JJP talking points at NE; More specifically: about discussing The Hobbit. I sure didn't come here to read more "JJP vs Stern" arguments. That's so... 2012. Please keep it on topic.

Yes, Hobbit, wayyyyyyy overdue........giving the prepayers another good ass reaming. Great business model JJP!

#88 8 years ago

Pictures removed by moderator.

#89 8 years ago

Some cranky people on here tonight. Must've missed their bottle feedings!

#90 8 years ago

One of the better seminars I've attended in a long time, nearly 2 hours and did'nt seem like it. That is what this thread was about wasn't it, the JJP talk??

What came thru most to me is the true desire that they have to make a great game and to push the boundaries forward, I don't think anyone with any subjectivity would question this, these guys enjoy what they are doing!!

The Hobbit will be an amazing immersive experience, most likely surpassing WOZ, which will be no small feat!

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

SPIKE is far more elegant,

A matter of opinion, certainly. You don't really explain how this is the case, though, so it's impossible to argue.

They have used high tech automotive communication to eliminate nearly all of the switch and lamp wiring for simple RJ45 cables and at the same time moved the coil drivers right onto the bottom of the playfield to eliminate another mile of unneeded wiring. All of this increasing reliability and ease of troubleshooting. Not to mention the cost of the materials and the elimination of the need to fabricate nearly as much wiring by hand. Also, the base of the cabinet is basically empty. This makes it a lot easier to work on compared to that metal box in the bottom of the cabinet.

Than buying a pc? If you're making your own board, there's no way it's easier; it's just not possible.

See above.

easier to make profit with

Considering the length of development and the savings they may have actually put together, I'm going to have to laugh at this one for a few years.

See above. Not sure how saving all of that material, manufacturing labor and simplifying the system wont save money?

Has that happened yet?

Has that happened yet?

No to both. Never said it did. I was making the point that Stern is not behind in technology. In fact they are ahead, even if JJP system is more "powerful" from the standpoint of graphics.

Oh well, it is only pinball. STLE sits right next to WOZ in my gameroom.

Please, continue to enlighten us.

Maybe it is time to get over the spite and lift the hood on a new Stern and enlighten yourself. I am certainly not smart enough to do so and I know no one from Stern will be defending themselves here any time soon.

Just to bring this back to topic. I am looking forward to playing Hobbit. I love drop targets and the idea of 15 individually controllable drops is intriguing to me.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

I have a basement full of Sterns, classics and modern. I love them dearly. If I have just a few minutes for a quick smackdown I will fire up Tron or Metallica every time. They are awesome. But to claim that Stern is pushing the bleeding edge technologically is downright silly. They are working within a well established space and iterating based upon a proven formula. There is nothing wrong with that AT ALL.
I played Kiss and TWD for this first time this weekend at the NW show and you know what? They *felt* like a Stern. Super fun, fast and loud games... but I felt like I had played them before, you know? I also got a few games of the Hobbit it. It felt like nothing I'd ever played before. It was a completely new experience for me. And THAT is what I am looking to the JJP team to do: to bring a totally new game experience to market.

One of the reasons Mustang has stood out to me...

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Stern is trying to catch up to JJP technologically. JJP is trying to catch up to Stern in terms of production speed.
You're right it's not a fair comparison. Stern had a 30+ year head start. But I bet if you looked at what Stern did in the first half-dozen years, it's a fraction of what JJP has accomplished.

You talk about what JJP has accomplished yet they have put out one game with many issues.They had to stop the cool idea but a fail all the same of direct print cabinets then there was the light boards and playfield chipping JJP may do far better on game two but they have a ways to go

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

400 pounds....it was hard enough for me to get Next Generation upstairs.

At least Silverball will have one that I can play.

For the sake of our backs, I hope the backbox comes off easily.

Anyword about the playfield coming out like RFM?

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

You talk about what JJP has accomplished yet they have put out one game with many issues.They had to stop the cool idea but a fail all the same of direct print cabinets then there was the light boards and playfield chipping JJP may do far better on game two but they have a ways to go

I don't want to continue to derail this thread but it's important to not let these rumors fly. I've had WOZ now for quite awhile. The ONLY issue I've had with the game is that the crystal ball became unglued from its base. That's it. It took me two minutes to fix it. No playfield chipping. No light board problems. Nothing. The game has been heavily played and has not given me any problems. My LE number is right in the middle of production. The game is as reliable, if not more reliable than any other game made, and based on my experience working in tournaments with NIB Sterns, a lot more reliable than a new Stern.

I honestly don't understand the JJP hating. I'll never get why people seem to look at pinball manufacturers like sports teams and have to root for one side or the other. I don't hate Stern. I like some of their games. Others I'm not fond of. But I don't have a desire to go around trash-talking their every move. I don't see how that helps anybody

But hey, if this rivalry results in more innovation, that's cool. I just hope it can be more of a friendly rivalry than anything else.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I don't want to continue to derail this thread but it's important to not let these rumors fly. I've had WOZ now for quite awhile. The ONLY issue I've had with the game is that the crystal ball became unglued from its base. That's it. It took me two minutes to fix it. No playfield chipping. No light board problems. Nothing. The game has been heavily played and has not given me any problems. My LE number is right in the middle of production. The game is as reliable, if not more reliable than any other game made, and based on my experience working in tournaments with NIB Sterns, a lot more reliable than a new Stern.
I honestly don't understand the JJP hating. I'll never get why people seem to look at pinball manufacturers like sports teams and have to root for one side or the other. I don't hate Stern. I like some of their games. Others I'm not fond of. But I don't have a desire to go around trash-talking their every move. I don't see how that helps anybody
But hey, if this rivalry results in more innovation, that's cool. I just hope it can be more of a friendly rivalry than anything else.

I don't understand JJP fans tearing down Stern to build up JJP

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

No to both. Never said it did. I was making the point that Stern is not behind in technology. In fact they are ahead, even if JJP system is more "powerful" from the standpoint of graphics.
Oh well, it is only pinball. STLE sits right next to WOZ in my gameroom.

Just to bring this back to topic. I am looking forward to playing Hobbit. I love drop targets and the idea of 15 individually controllable drops is intriguing to me.

You know, I'm starting to change my opinion about you. I used to think you just crapped on JJP whenever you posted. But these were two of the most clear-headed and (dare I say) mature things you've ever said. And it lends more weight to your opinions in the future (IMHO). Bravo!

Quoted from ek77:

I don't understand JJP fans tearing down Stern to build up JJP

And here's another person I've been starting to agree with more and more (which scares me).

I don't get why JJP fans do that either. I do think that Stern is a little more cheaply built than JJP machines. But you know what? My LOTR and ACDC are both incredible machines, and I love them both as much as my WOZ. I love my Williams machines, too. The more the merrier. Why ANYBODY wouldn't want more pinball companies (besides Gary Stern, of course) is a mystery to me.

#99 8 years ago

If you don't mind waiting, nothing wrong with that. And what JJP makes is pretty. I just dunno why Jack even gives estimates on delivery dates. He's just setting some people up for disappointment. Why not just release status updates, explain set-backs and it is release when it is released?

People that are fans for WoZ obviously praise it and believe it was worth the wait. Estimates are only going to cause disappointment.

It is no secret making pins is tough.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't get why JJP fans do that either.

Its the knee jerk reaction to the JJP owner who feels those attacking are Stern lovers. Stupid.

We should be able to be critical of either and compare (if we choose to) without being lumped into one camp or the other. I do feel there are those that clearly have an ax to grind against JJP and while I am not a fan of over moderation they should be muted in JJP threads if all they do is post venom. At the same time its annoying to see the JJP fanboys lump any criticism into that other camp so I guess its a never ending cycle.

Pretty childish and sad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

13,000 (OBO)
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 20.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-guarnieri-nw-pinball-talking-points/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.