TH_glass.jpg
jjp.jpg
clint-eastwood-557.jpeg
9015268_500.jpg
dr_DaveChappelle_CS_w600_h389.jpg
Darth_Vader_Grip.jpg
HOB.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Also, for those people huge into themes themselves, think how much happier they would have been with clips from TWD show on an LCD than they were with dots.

How cool would it be to integrate clips from the TWD and heads getting lopped off!

If you like "dots" on a pin then you gotta love video, no?

Hopefully Stern will implement video with GOT, its time to get out of the 90's with "dots".

#703 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

WOZ looks more modern than any stern.

I disagree. Woz looks strange and not appealing from the 20 ft. The PF looks okay but the GI is so lame.

#704 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I don't get why a TV in a pinball machine matters ? What is on the PF and game play is so much more than a blu-ray dvd!

It might bring new people to at least try the game, but it does not really matter.

Starwars Eps1 used to attract people to play it in the arcade, but the gameplay itself was not too good.

#705 8 years ago

When I got into pinball and was shopping for my first pin at a retailer, WOZ immediately got my attention. Beautiful machine. I saw all the new Stern pins but had no interest. They didn't look attractive and was not all that interested in playing them. I quickly formed a bias against them that took a while to undo as I discovered they can be fun to play. I ended up getting a Stern months later so first impressions didn't matter I guess. I still think it is poor that Stern in the middle of 2015 still does not have more than one color in their display.

#706 8 years ago

Well if it does attract people to play it on location and the gameplay is good then it does really matter.

#707 8 years ago

JJP really isn't a serious competitor to stern. They avg One new game what every 2 years?
LCDs are cool but they will easily increase the price of a pro by $1000 with the cost of the display and extra development needed. Not worth it. maybe on the LEs it is who knows

#708 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

JJP really isn't a serious competitor to stern. They avg One new game what every 2 years?

They are not a serious competitor at this moment but they certainly could be. If they get to the point where they just crank out games quicker JJP would be a monster competitor.

Keith and Lawlor are just as good as Sheets and Borg/Ritchie. All JJP needs to do is put out product at a faster pace...they are a manufacturing company, they need product being manufactured for the market.

#709 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

JJP really isn't a serious competitor to stern.

Of course they are - this is why Stern has adjusted their business model in the last few years to include LE with more content and higher prices. I would also argue that even though JJP has only released one pin (with a second sold in preorder), they have pulled a lot of money out of the pinball market. I don't think anyone knows actual sales, but let's hypothesize 2000 WOZ and 1000 Hobbit to be conservative (I think these numbers are low). Even though this is over a 3-4 year span, that is still a large pot of pinball money pulled away from potential Stern sales. Competition isn't just how many models are released, but the volume of machines sold.

Competition is good. Don't understand why some people have to be only pro-JJP or pro-Stern. I think both companies can make good games and I will support either when they make a game I enjoy.

Scott

#710 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They are not a serious competitor at this moment but they certainly could be. If they get to the point where they just crank out games quicker JJP would be a monster competitor.
Keith and Lawlor are just as good as Sheets and Borg/Ritchie. All JJP needs to do is put out product at a faster pace...they are a manufacturing company, they need product being manufactured for the market.

sorry man but stern/sega killed WMS with cheaper easy to build games. Jack is WMS on steroids with the amount of gadgets and COG, unfortunately it will only take one bad game to bring them down. i hope I'm wrong. but going on pinside and telling people he will sue them because he dose not like the truth. will not help them at all. I will never EVER buy a JJP game because of that.

#711 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It might bring new people to at least try the game, but it does not really matter.
Starwars Eps1 used to attract people to play it in the arcade, but the gameplay itself was not too good.

This may not be 100% accurate in all cases, but I've often viewed the evolution of scoring displays as an indicator of generational leaps in platform technology. For example, scoring reels on early EM games... to numeric LCDs when games went solid state CPU in the late 70s and early 80s... to alphanumeric LCDs in the mid-late 80s with sys11 and later sys80B games (more CPU horsepower also bringing better sound and more complicated rules)... to DMD in the 90s. Side note, to that end I tend to view Color DMD and similar as something of a bridge technology. That's not to take anything away from that platform BTW, I love what they are doing and have them in my own games. It just underscores how I view the move to LCD panels in the backglass as the next generational leap that eventually all manufacturers will take. It's the best form of display available today

#712 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

sorry man but stern/sega killed WMS with cheaper easy to build games. Jack is WMS on steroids with the amount of gadgets and COG, unfortunately it will only take one bad game to bring them down. i hope I'm wrong. but going on pinside and telling people he will sue them because he dose not like the truth. will not help them at all. I will never EVER buy a JJP game because of that.

Please use normal sized fonts. I'm old and pretty f**king blind at this point.

#713 8 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

It just underscores how I view the move to LCD panels in the backglass as the next generational leap that eventually all manufacturers will take. It's the best form of display available today

I'd like a smaller LCD in the speaker panel and not "in" the backglass. The same size display as in a 14 inch laptop would be perfect and insure mass production pricing. This will leave room for a full size backglass/translite, which I don't want to give up. Personally I think the JJP machines look goofy with that big display. It is simply too big.

#714 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I disagree. Woz looks strange and not appealing from the 20 ft. The PF looks okay but the GI is so lame.

So maybe WoZ's implementation of the LCD wasn't perfect- but it was a step in the right direction.

I think the display on TBL is a nice compromise between the 2. *cringe* I almost hesitate to bring it up, but even the display in Magic Girl tried something new.... and - at least from the video - looked like an interesting iteration.

However, some may not EVER want to see evolution from the DMD; I think they are in the minority, though. Witness the wild success on the colorDMD implementation on older machines. There's clearly a market for better displays....

#715 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

However, some, like you perhaps may not EVER want to see evolution from the DMD.

I miss the painted number on the backglass.

LTG : )™

#716 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hopefully Stern will implement video with GOT, its time to get out of the 90's with "dots".

I believe it is inevitable!

#717 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Very rare that I agree with Teekee. I want a screen the size of a 15.6 inch laptop display and no bigger. Speakers down by the playfield where they belong and a full sized backglass/translite above.

I'm good with the JJP use of the screen. It's new, and when your looking on with others playing the content is amazing. It is multiple times better than a DMD because of how much information is available at a glance. Give me that over three shrinking lines as counters (I've owned Tron for years and I still don't even know which line is the counter for Gem, Zeus or Clu). WOZ is no less appealing next to any other game when they are off, and the screen looks great when it's on. But that's ok. I think we could have this discussion for a year and not come to any agreement (see what I did there?).

#718 8 years ago

I love the display on WOZ. JJP delivered what they said they would in that regard. It is a shame Stern still hasn't adopted an LCD display (other than Wrestlemania of course).

#719 8 years ago

Article in vending times last week, Stern hired two 3D computer graphic model-techie guys. One just got done working on Mortal Kombat X.... so.... sounds like Gary's getting ready for a showdown.

clint-eastwood-557.jpegclint-eastwood-557.jpeg

#720 8 years ago

From the cell version though. None of Neather realms big guys left.

#721 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not really. JJP sells $8500.00 (and up) pins.

Stern still sells pins in the $4700.00 range (in addition to the Premium and LE's).

If JJP continues to sell at higher and higher prices, Stern will still be selling a ton of pros and nobody else offers an alternative to that market segment.

#722 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Stern still sells pins in the $4700.00 range (in addition to the Premium and LE's).

Look for that to change.... soon!

#723 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Look for that to change.... soon!

Meaning what? Price bump for the new LCD games?

#724 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah they have too to cover costs, be careful what you wish for!

#725 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Definitely. If they add an LCD you know the price is going to go up at least $500. I'm not a big fan of the LCD but Stern's definitely going with it as a permanent feature... I hope they figure out a way to keep the cost down on the Pro so there's at least a figuratively speaking more affordable version of their machines.

#726 8 years ago

If they add an LCD you know the price is going to go up at least $500.

Why is that? The LCD will most likely be cheaper than the pricey LED displays they have been using. As long as they keep the development costs down for the on-screen content, the price should not go up nearly that much if at all.

#727 8 years ago

The price will go up

#728 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Why is that? The LCD will most likely be cheaper than the pricey LED displays they have been using. As long as they keep the development costs down for the on-screen content, the price should not go up nearly that much if at all.

Generating unique content for an LCD is going to be much more expensive than a dmd.

#729 8 years ago

Like I said, they literally just had to hire two more guys just to do 3D modeling for the display now. That's an extra 100K+ per year they're spending, right now, because they decided to do an LCD... and that's just in salary, and that's just the two guys we know about.

Also Stern has never missed an opportunity to raise prices!

#730 8 years ago

Also Stern has never missed an opportunity to raise prices!

Like JJP hasn't raised prices? Lol Stern is the best bang for your buck

#731 8 years ago

LCD for LE and Premium, dmd for Pro?

#732 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

#733 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

LCD for LE and Premium, dmd for Pro?

That would be even more expensive from a development standpoint having to develop two systems, not to mention the LED displays are really expensive compared to LCDs.

Quoted from chessiv:

Generating unique content for an LCD is going to be much more expensive than a dmd.

It all depends on how the use the display. Sure if they try to do a lot of fancy stuff it will take more time to develop. On the other hand they may just start out with colorized dots like ColorDMD. Either way, I look forward to getting rid of those crappy LED DMDs. Not only are the LED displays themselves more expensive ($300) than the old plasma ones or an LCD, the 8x8 grid pattern looks terrible. Not to mention reliability - I have had an LED go out on one. Good riddance.

#734 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I would be SHOCKED if we didnt see at least a $400 bump.

Why?

Stern isnt dumb. They see us tripping over ourselves and paying at least that much just to add a bit of color to the content (colorDMD).

Stern has already seen the test market- and its telling them they will pay MORE.

#735 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I would be SHOCKED if we didnt see at least a $400 bump.
Why?
Stern isnt dumb. They see us tripping over ourselves and paying at least that much just to add a bit of color to the content (colorDMD).
Stern has already seen the test market- and its telling them they will pay MORE.

Ok, something is wrong, because I'm agreeing with lowepg.

Do a call around for a new game at distributors you don't know and you will see us sitting at about 4900 delivered. Stern needs something to offer as they break the psychological barrier at 5k. An LCD fits the bill to give a big bump. Then they can start the run up to 6k pros in $150 segments. The top price the market will handle hasn't been found yet. They will find it, and then back off a bit from it. Maybe start tossing in a $2 spinner to justify the next leap.

#736 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

I agree... just sayin, though, that when the LCD comes out the price will go up.

#737 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, something is wrong, because I'm agreeing with lowepg.
Do a call around for a new game at distributors you don't know and you will see us sitting at about 4900 delivered. Stern needs something to offer as they break the psychological barrier at 5k. An LCD fits the bill to give a big bump. Then they can start the run up to 6k pros in $150 segments. The top price the market will handle hasn't been found yet. They will find it, and then back off a bit from it. Maybe start tossing in a $2 spinner to justify the next leap.

Yup, and in reality, the price of machines hasn't really gone up all that much since the mid 90's, has it? (talking Pro, here). I know there's the argument (and a good one) that since there's less in a Pro than a mid 90's machine it SHOULD be less, but what it comes down to is the cheapest machine you can get now (from Stern) isn't really all that much more expensive than the cheapest machine you could get from Data East, or Sega.

Inflation affects everybody, and Stern has good reasons they've raised prices (either literally, or buy cutting features) like higher delivery costs (for parts), higher wire costs (they've reduced wiring), higher display costs (they've replaced it now), etc.

They're going to look for a reason to get that price bumped up over 5k like you said.

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Jack was proved right going with the WOZ theme. Whether you like the game itself is another matter but I think most people would say it's a great game of it's kind. This delay cannot be anything but bad news for operators. Unlike WOZ the hobbit theme showing actors like Freeman is going to be old news. I still think it will sell in big numbers. Last night I looked at Kiss videos and Hobbit. I'm confident most people will think the latter is in a different league.

Not arguing the theme choice even though I dont like it or the layout, My issue was the Far superior comment. A LCD in a Backbox to me doesnt make it Far Superior if the game isnt that fun. If thats the case RFM & SWE1 would rank as the best 2 games ever???

#739 8 years ago

higher display costs (they've replaced it now)

Since when?

#740 8 years ago

Yup, and the interesting thing is, all this new "competition" in pinball had had the atypical result of driving UP Prices....

JJP and DP and PPS have proven there *IS* an appetite for games at a much higher price point.

So, unless the economy tanks, I expect prices to climb, AND:

More games released with "LE-price tags" and "Premium-level" features .

#741 8 years ago

Everytime I hear people say "stern must" I have to laugh. Stern is the only one who announces and ships games we can buy in a timely manner. If innovation means I have to wait a year or more after paying, no thanks. Once a game starts you look at the play field. I don't really get why people want clips playing so bad on an lcd. Nothing matters other than great play field design, flow and rule set.

#742 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yup, and the interesting thing is, all this new "competition" in pinball had had the atypical result of driving UP Prices....
JJP and DP and PPS have proven there *IS* an appetite for games at a much higher price point.
So, unless the economy tanks, I expect prices to climb, AND:
More games released with "LE-price tags" and "Premium-level" features .

I'm not an expert at business economics (obviously) but you're right, it's strange that it led to the opposite, which is usually competition would lower prices.

Maybe that's a sign of a market that's under realized... you get competition, and prices go up! Craziest thing ever.

#743 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Everytime I hear people say "stern must" I have to laugh. Stern is the only one who announces and ships games we can buy in a timely manner. If innovation means I have to wait a year or more after paying, no thanks. Once a game starts you look at the play field. I don't really get why people want clips playing so bad on an lcd. Nothing matters other than great play field design, flow and rule set.

Pro prices haven't gone up too much have they ? You can still pay less in $ what we have to pay in £ (UK ) JJP has shown them that they can charge more for LE providing there is more in them.

The LCD is more about information than clips. It's not just a TV showing video. So most home owner's think it's an improvement. Operators certainly will. I want to see more pinball on location ( and pay by phone swipe ! )

#744 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

WOZ does look strange compared to other modern pinball machines. It doesn't look like the other modern pinball machines. It reminds me of my Twilight Zone which was from a time when pinball machines were loaded up with a lot of features, and mechanical toys. The large LCD automatically makes it look different then today's Stern's that still used small DMD's...Also, any game will look strange next to a modern Stern when it features unique side and head artwork on both sides of the cabinet

#745 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The "player doesn't look at the screen" argument is old and many players do look at the screen, whether it be a DMD or LCD. I look at the LCD on my WOZ often as the game allows the player brief moments to do so and those moments add to my enjoyment of the game. This same argument doesn't appear to apply to Stern games as they are still using outdated tech so some people need to defend the older tech by saying "ah who cares, you never look at the screen"...If Stern suddenly switches to an LCD (they appear to be) you will hear very little complaints.

I should use the same approach when buying a car. Who cares what the back seat looks like when I sit in the front? Who cares what the center console looks like as I don't look at while I'm driving. The DMD is old and Stern is now charging JJP prices for games that don't feature a comparable number of features yet charge the same price at the LE level. I do think that they offer a good amount of value at the pro level but they are overcharging so much for their LE's today.

#746 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The "player doesn't look at the screen" argument is old and many players do look at the screen, whether it be a DMD or LCD. I look at the LCD on my WOZ often as the game allows the player brief moments to do so and those moments add to my enjoyment of the game. This
same argument doesn't appear to apply to Stern games as they are still using outdated tech so some people need to defend the old tech by saying "ah who cares, you never look at the screen"...
I should use the same approach when buying a car. Who cares what the back seat looks like when I sit in the front? Who cares what the center console looks like as I don't look at while I'm driving. The DMD is old and Stern is now charging JJP prices for games that don't feature a comparable number of features yet charge the same price at the LE level. I do think that they offer a good amount of value at the pro level but they are overcharging so much for their LE's today.

You're right. I never look at my GPS when I'm driving.

Love the LCD, although I do think it makes the game more fun for the people waiting their turn than it does for the person playing.

#747 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

LCDs are cool but they will easily increase the price of a pro by $1000 with the cost of the display and extra development needed. Not worth it. maybe on the LEs it is who knows

Let's say they have sold 3500 games between WOZ and The Hobbit at an average price of $7500. That's $26,250,000 that went to JJP and not Stern. That's a serious competitor as Stern had the market all to themselves before JJP and the other smaller pinball companies.

Personally I think JJP should also make a $5k game that is a standard body but still uses their LCD display and platform. They are missing out on a huge part of the pinball market by not offering a game in that price range. Maybe offer one unique high end game in the $8k range and a different game in the $5k range at the same time.

#748 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Once a game starts you look at the play field. I don't really get why people want clips playing so bad on an lcd. Nothing matters other than great play field design, flow and rule set.

If that were true, ColorDMDs would not be as popular as they are, and the move from alphanumeric to DMD would have been short-lived.

#749 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Let's say they have sold 3500 games between WOZ and The Hobbit at an average price of $7500. That's $26,250,000 that went to JJP and not Stern. That's a serious competitor as Stern had the market all to themselves before JJP and the other smaller pinball companies.
Personally I think JJP should also make a $5k game that is a standard body but still uses their LCD display and platform. They are missing out on a huge part of the pinball market by not offering a game in that price range. Maybe offer one unique high end game in the $8k range and a different game in the $5k range at the same time.

They can't finish the the hobbit how could they manage another model lol #wheresthehobbit

#750 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

They can't finish the the hobbit how could they manage another model lol #wheresthehobbit

"Rome wasn't built in a day". I'm sure there was a time when Stern wasn't cranking out 3-4 titles a year and selling them as well as they do today. JJP is still a relatively new business. It's going to take time for them to grow like any company.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 24.50
$ 91.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-guarnieri-nw-pinball-talking-points/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.