TH_glass.jpg
jjp.jpg
clint-eastwood-557.jpeg
9015268_500.jpg
dr_DaveChappelle_CS_w600_h389.jpg
Darth_Vader_Grip.jpg
HOB.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.
#451 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

They are too cheap to include a manual for the $8000. If you want one it costs you an extra $125.

Complete manual is stored digitally and accessible from the machine. I see the printed manual as more of a coffee table item myself.

#453 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

They are too cheap to include a manual for the $8000. If you want one it costs you an extra $125.

It's actually included both in the game and is free for download.

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/Wizard_of_Oz_Manual_3_0_June_2014.pdf

Nice try though

#454 8 years ago

We've already had this debate. The manual is absolutely extraordinary. No way would I expect the equivalent (in hard copy) to come free with every machine.

#455 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You do know... that the Stern you know today did not survive that storm.. Stern as you know it today is a rebranding of two previously failed companies. Stern Electronics which sold out to Data East (in the time period of this article)... which sold out to Sega after the next pinball downturn... which sold to Gary Stern.. after failing to survive the downturn.

Couple things to point out here: SEI has no relationship whatsoever to Data East. The sale of DE to Sega had more to do with DE's operations (mostly Japanese) than the current state of pinball (which was decent at the time). The sale of Sega to Stern DID prevent a shutdown, no doubt about that one, as did bringing on Hagerty Peterson in 2009.

#456 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Complete manual is stored digitally and accessible from the machine. I see the printed manual as more of a coffee table item myself.

That is great until the part that fails keeps the monitor from being able to display the manual.

#457 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

That is great until the part that fails keeps the monitor from being able to display the manual.

A practical point - I guess. But it can be downloaded on another computer or mobile device and specific content printed if hard copy is desired.

#458 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

You are acting like a troll. Are you a troll? Or just attempting to be one?

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/

#459 8 years ago

Also, the digital copy is the way to go:

1. Always (for the most part) up to date
2. Allows it be very portable on mobile devices - I love looking at this stuff on an iPad screen rather than a book.
3. Can see it in low light conditions
4. Can ZOOM in on diagrams and text (this is a big one)

Edit: I am glad the manual wasn't included - I wouldn't want that price added to the cost of the pin, and I don't want JJP to eat a cost like that. Especially since they are providing a digital copy that is so well done.

#460 8 years ago

I have been witness to first hand issues where the manual was not available because of serious design issues with WoZ. There is now a 3rd party produced flow chart to help people deal with the issues caused by the monitor being tied in to the same 12v circuit as the rest of the pin.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/5800/2013_The_Wizard_of_Oz_Monitor_Repair_Flowchart.pdf

As to being a troll? No. I just have not been consuming the JJP coolaid like many people have. I do not think that WoZ is a very good game. It has massive technical issues, the game play is ok at best, and it is way over priced.

I listened to the JJP presentation at the NW Pinball and Arcade Show. My take on it was that they were trying to convince people to spend money on a pin that is a year late and still not complete. I played the Hobbit that was on display at the show. It was not bad but felt like it was not finished. To be fair, I played the Stern Kiss and had the same feeling.

If the rumors are true and JJP is on a cash and carry basis with many of their suppliers, I will be amazed if the Hobbit is built. If it is, I do not think that it will be built in enough numbers to cover the existing pre-orders.

#461 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I have been witness to first hand issues where the manual was not available because of serious design issues with WoZ. There is now a 3rd party produced flow chart to help people deal with the issues caused by the monitor being tied in to the same 12v circuit as the rest of the pin.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/5800/2013_The_Wizard_of_Oz_Monitor_Repair_Flowchart.pdf
As to being a troll? No. I just have not been consuming the JJP coolaid like many people have. I do not think that WoZ is a very good game. It has massive technical issues, the game play is ok at best, and it is way over priced.
I listened to the JJP presentation at the NW Pinball and Arcade Show. My take on it was that they were trying to convince people to spend money on a pin that is a year late and still not complete. I played the Hobbit that was on display at the show. It was not bad but felt like it was not finished. To be fair, I played the Stern Kiss and had the same feeling.
If the rumors are true and JJP is on a cash and carry basis with many of their suppliers, I will be amazed if the Hobbit is built. If it is, I do not think that it will be built in enough numbers to cover the existing pre-orders.

Uh, ok? Don't even know where to start on fixing this flow of crap.

Quoted from DaveH:

You are acting like a troll. Are you a troll?

Yes - certainly appears so - or just hates JJP. Whatever...

#462 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

DaveH said:

You are acting like a troll. Are you a troll?

Yes

I love how a person with a differing opinion is a "Troll". I have not said anything inflammatory. I have simply stated facts and then my opinion which was clearly listed as my opinion.

#463 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The digital manual on the machine is useless, especially if the machine is BROKEN. The coffee table book is an awesome option for people who don't actually work on their machines themselves, but the game should come with a black and white printed version.

#464 8 years ago

Most people can now just print themselves...

#465 8 years ago

A digital copy is nice for any game, but having a printed manual that lives in the game is REALLY NICE.

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Most people can now just print themselves...

Don't print them at home, because it will cost you a fortune in ink cartridges.

Always print them at work and use up the bosses laser toner.

#467 8 years ago

Yup
...oh, wait....

#468 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Couple things to point out here: SEI has no relationship whatsoever to Data East. The sale of DE to Sega had more to do with DE's operations (mostly Japanese) than the current state of pinball (which was decent at the time). The sale of Sega to Stern DID prevent a shutdown, no doubt about that one, as did bringing on Hagerty Peterson in 2009.

The SEI to DE transition is certainly misquoted a bunch.. but the only reference I see to counter it is the one post from Orin back in RGP days (the one linked from pinwiki). What did DE acquire to start their pinball? Just people assembled by Gary? And how did Gary detach from SEI... and what happened to SEI assets? Stern Pinball claims to have access to them now.. so where is that continuity? Any insight keefer?

#469 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I love how a person with a differing opinion is a "Troll". I have not said anything inflammatory. I have simply stated facts and then my opinion which was clearly listed as my opinion.

Actually, no. I am totally fine with opinions that are different than mine. Just ask Vid. I disagree with him, but he adds insight and a historical perspective when he scrapes the bottom. Although I disagree, he adds valuable information to discussions. But you are making a straw man argument. You are acting like the only way to get the information from the manual is directly on the game screen, even though you are aware that it can be downloaded from almost any device on the Internet. So yes, you are in act, trolling. I was just pointing it out. If you need to call this trolling because I disagree with you, have at it.

#470 8 years ago

It's great to have a printed manual with the pin. Have one in each of my 32 sterns. For the record I have WOZLE and THSE,on order.

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Edit: I am glad the manual wasn't included - I wouldn't want that price added to the cost of the pin, and I don't want JJP to eat a cost like that.

A printed manual should be standard equipment with ALL games from all manufacturers.
When a machines cost creeps near 10 grand I want the manufacturer to "eat it" and provide a manual.

#472 8 years ago

I personally like printed manuals. Even my laptop wouldn't work over near a pin, mainly because it's expensive and heavy. That's the last thing I want to be setting in the bottom of a cabinet or teetering on the edge of a playfield, like I would a paper manual.

Couldn't you get the PDF printed and bound at kinkos for less than $125? Though, that may be their point. I know in the past I've set high prices to keep things from selling.

#473 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You are acting like a troll. Are you a troll? Or just attempting to be one?
http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/

trolls tend to add nothing to the conversation they just attack others and don't talk about the thread subject so dave you are a troll

#474 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Couldn't you get the PDF printed and bound at kinkos for less than $125?

I had one customer tried this before JJP made the printed manual. They were quoted $130.

LTG : )

#475 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Perfect example from a guy who who's also bias in his own way. Bashing Jjp threads for years. Never been a customer of Jjp .. Ur one to talk. U don't post for the good of the hobby.. U bash all day long anything Jjp...

This coming for the guy that during the question portion was referred to as a brown nosier by Jacks people

#476 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

This coming for the guy that during the question portion was referred to as a brown nosier by Jacks people

Your spelling and grammar are atrocious. It may be time for your wife to drive you to the library. I hear story time uses tons of pretty pictures

And I agree with Lorenzo. Your (not you're) posting history is clear unlike your sentence structure. He creates products for games that people love. What's your claim to fame?

#477 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Your spelling and grammar are atrocious. It may be time for your wife to drive you to the library. I hear story time uses tons of pretty pictures
And I agree with Lorenzo. Your (not you're) posting history is clear unlike your sentence structure.

Really Alex ? Who is dumber ? The guy that can't read bad grammar or the guy that writes it ?

#478 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Really Alex ? Who is dumber ? The guy that can't read bad grammar or the guy that writes it ?

Lol Jim.

#479 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I had one customer tried this before JJP made the printed manual. They were quoted $130.
LTG : )

On the full color stock, the local kinkos wanted $280 printed and bound. Crazy.

#480 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That's great material.

#481 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

but having a printed manual that lives in the game is REALLY NICE.

Quoted from cal50:

A printed manual should be standard equipment with ALL games from all manufacturers.
When a machines cost creeps near 10 grand I want the manufacturer to "eat it" and provide a manual.

I completely agree. However, only one of the games I've ever bought had a manual included in any format, WOZ. Granted, it's the only NIB. Ideally the printed manual would stay with the game, I just don't think it does.

#482 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

trolls tend to add nothing to the conversation they just attack others and don't talk about the thread subject so dave you are a troll

Quoted from ek77:

Within two posts of each other?!? Face, meet palm.

#483 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's great material.

How is that great material? I think we are all capable of reading poor grammar and spelling but why should we have to be subjected to it? Every browser both mobile and desktop have had spell check for the last half decade. It's like reading the text messages of a 12 year old.

#484 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

On the full color stock, the local kinkos wanted $280 printed and bound. Crazy.

Holy crap!

There goes that idea.

#485 8 years ago

I own the WOZ printed manual and have the digital version on my computer. I seldom if ever need an entire manual to work on a pin. It's usually just one or two pages, which I can easily print and use as needed. No problem. I wish I had a digital copy of all of my manuals.

#486 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I wish I had a digital copy of all of my manuals.

You can. Go to ipdb.com

#487 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't doubt this, but do you have a source for that statement? Was that confirmed somewhere?

No confirmation other than my word. The original maker of WOZ playfields and cabinets happens to be a friend of mine. We talk now and then.

#488 8 years ago

digital manuals? sure.... for my virtual pinball machine- fine.

for my "old-fashioned" steel balls and wood contraptions? Please kill a tree and gimme a printed manual!

#489 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

(Congrats if you figured this out as well, have a cookie)

#490 8 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

You copied and pasted from a spam email that grandmothers who still use AOL have been sending around for 10 years

#491 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You can. Go to ipdb.com

Yes, I know, but quite a few are not there.

#492 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Yes, I know, but quite a few are not there.

You can't have it ALL! If you could you woud have a printed manual and a Digital Manual.

#493 8 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

I honestly didn't even try to read that.

Quoted from John_I:

but the game should come with a black and white printed version.

Seriously? It is 2015 guys we don't have to print so damn much. The WOZ manual is 380 pages - I don't need JJP to print the whole thing out. I can just get what I need. I work as a software consultant and have spent years moving technical manuals and technical specs to digital because they are very mobile (you don't need to have a stack of binders/manuals), to have great searching - ever try to scan a manual looking for something and it take forever - or you missed it. Digital: you can search for in seconds? Zooming, notes, no color printing costs, and on and on...What is wrong with some of you people?

EDIT: Ok, fine - I concede. If you want a printed manual...well, then you want a printed manual.

#494 8 years ago

1985 called..., they want their piss poor printed manual back that you can't even read a schematic on

#495 8 years ago

Is George RR Martin writing the manual for Hobbit? That would explain so much.

#496 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Is George RR Martin writing the manual for Hobbit? That would explain so much.

I think it is Butch Peel - but GRRM may be doing the manual for Sterns upcoming pin.

#497 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Seriously? It is 2015 guys we don't have to print so damn much. The WOZ manual is 380 pages - I don't need JJP to print the whole thing out. I can just get what I need. I work as a software consultant and have spent years moving technical manuals and technical specs to digital because they are very mobile (you don't need to have a stack of binders/manuals), to have great searching - ever try to scan a manual looking for something and it take forever - or you missed it. Digital: you can search for in seconds? Zooming, notes, no color printing costs, and on and on...What is wrong with some of you people?

They don't have to print even half of those pages. A lot of them are fluff that is not needed for field work. Just the basic schematics and wiring diagrams and diagnostics, etc. Probably 50-75 pages would do. It is nice to have them inside the machine when you need it.

No need to tell me about killing trees or digital material. When you work in aerospace, you assume anything printed more than 8 hours ago in outdated and throw it away or verify it against the latest files in the configuration controlled document area online. Printed manuals at you desk gathering dust are a no no when the ISO9000 auditors come a knocking. I've been working in my present engineering job for over 6 years and have zero manuals or printed material at my desk at any given moment. Everything is on my laptop or sharedrive and everything is up to date. That type of control is needed at the factory where the pinball machine is built but not at the end user.

#498 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

How is that great material? I think we are all capable of reading poor grammar and spelling but why should we have to be subjected to it? Every browser both mobile and desktop have had spell check for the last half decade. It's like reading the text messages of a 12 year old.

It's great material because it unexpectedly made me laugh.

#499 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The SEI to DE transition is certainly misquoted a bunch.. but the only reference I see to counter it is the one post from Orin back in RGP days (the one linked from pinwiki). What did DE acquire to start their pinball? Just people assembled by Gary? And how did Gary detach from SEI... and what happened to SEI assets? Stern Pinball claims to have access to them now.. so where is that continuity? Any insight keefer?

The story as I understand it is they built Laser War, took it to a show, got some orders, got a loan to build them, and went from there. That was years ago I heard that, but that is the best of my recollection. The boardset was more or less stolen from Wms (word is Laser War boards will boot a High Speed ROM), I assume all the mechanical parts had to be drawn, that part is fuzzy to me.

As to who owned SEI rights, I don't know precisely what happened to them at bankruptcy, but I do know for a fact Gary's ex-wife owned the SEI rights at one point in the mid 2000s because someone emailed me trying to track down the owner of Berserk IP, and I talked to Gary about it and wound up just forwarding him the email.

I would presume that if SPI owns them now, they bought them from Gary's ex-wife for some amount.

#500 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

It's hard to not notice you seem to have some contempt for the general pinball community. You have been known to talk down to people.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are certainly individuals I have contempt for, and that is probably pretty obvious when I respond to them. But I "grew up" in pinball online interacting with the community and generally enjoy doing it, which is why I still do it. However, I have been online since 1986 with a 300bps modem on an Apple //e, so I'm no stranger to flame wars and have certainly been part of my fair share. That background does tend to make it relatively easy to goad me into fights, and I just view it as a reality of fora life. Sure it's irritating to have to defend myself against stupidity, and that's probably where you get the "talking down to" vibe.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

You snubbed the competitive community by admitting there was a WOZ bug being actively exploited but wouldn't share it to level the playing field and you lectured people for not "bringing this to your attention first"

There are several reasons for this, although you are bringing a private forum's conversation into public, which I would argue is not the best form.

1. The best information I had was that the knowledge of it was limited to very few people, probably < 5, in a very specific geographical location, Detroit.

2. Due to personal relationships, I was more than disappointed with the actions of a couple of those people.

3. There is no fucking way I'm sharing an exploit that could make it very easy for people to rack up credits (and cause Great Harm to earnings) on location games without having a fix available. To do so would be ridiculously incompetent and irresponsible on my part. So hopefully you'll forgive me here if I choose to put not taking money out of operator's kids' mouths before a few people worried about where their next 1.5 WPPRs are coming from in an exploit that probably no one knows about on a game that's probably not even being used in a tournament any time soon.

4. I consider myself to be one of the most responsive and proactive people in the industry, period, when it comes to game tournament suitability, so obviously I want to and will fix the issue.

5. I was hoping to roll the fix in to a bigger release. Due to the actions of some very self-centered individuals (MUH WPPRS), I was forced to go back a version and do an emergency fix to protect operators of our product. That bigger release hasn't happened to this day, and if that upsets some WOZ owners, then I guess they have to blame the competitive community, which (having been a part of it for so long, over 20 years) is quite saddening to me.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

and at the same time you tell myself and others there's no way you'll add a much-desired option to the game to make it more reliable because, "it takes the fun out of cheating the ruleset during play"

Just because you and a couple people you know want it doesn't make it "much-desired." To this day, no one from JJP support has informed me that there is a mountain of desire for such a feature, or even that there's any desire at all.

Also, your understanding of what I told you is incorrect. At no point did I say that I'm not doing it simply because it takes the fun out of cheating, I was responding to your specific comment that it subverts the ruleset and therefore shouldn't be allowed. I have basically stated there is no way anyone has thought through all of the issues involved and I maintain that's still true now.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

but then you bitch out the competitive community for finding a way to cheat and not letting you fix it... Seems a bit ironic IMO.

Only to you. Hopefully you have a better understanding of the business sense behind the 2 decisions now.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

I think even Stern is taking a huge gamble with their move into new resources. And I think that's more a result of hubris than good business sense. Does Gary think he's Henry Ford ready to forge a new empire? Or is he motivated by flooding the market with machines to dry it up for the competition? In any case, anyone who thinks the market can sustain the increased development for an extended period of time might want to open their eyes a bit wider. Just my 0.02 FWIW.

Now here is a paragraph I can get behind 1000%. You've actually made some pretty decent insights here, certainly the first I've seen outside the industry.

Someone pointed out to me recently, and I forget the exact statistic, but it was something like every pinball company that's moved to a larger facility went out of business like a year later (or had to be bailed out or whatever). I'm not predicting that for Stern, but I will say the industry is cyclical and the timing of this surprises me a great deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-guarnieri-nw-pinball-talking-points/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.