Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sven
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7CEB041C-63DC-4F3D-860A-C418A0CFEE42 (resized).png
    ADF435EA-9FCC-4AD3-AAF2-0D97C47F442C (resized).jpeg
    GLOBAL LIFESTYLE BRAND (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago

Lol, well now I’d say the chances of a Tank Girl pinball machine rocket to the top!! Jack always said it would be a badass machine. Big props and congrats to him!

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Do you, and the others, or is this just more "Everything Frax says is always negative regardless of anything, screw having a rational conversation" typical Pinside BS, as usual?
    Do you guys not find it interesting that the industry has moved away from taking guys from other adjacent and more directly involved parts of the "amusement complex" to do this stuff, to streamers and players? When you look at all the old guys, they came from other things within the arcade industry, and had little to no experience designing a pinball machine or otherwise having anything to do with pinball at all.
    Now, all the new hires come in with EXTENSIVE knowledge of pinball, whether that be community, electronics, or design. The manufacturers aren't having to have these guys effectively apprentice for years to get to a level where they can fly solo in their position. Not only that, most would argue they're doing a superior job. I don't think anyone could say that pinball wasn't in desperate need of this new blood. It's just coming from unexpected places, and it's a pretty big "sea change" that landing these positions is no longer limited to industry insiders. If you can prove you have the skills on a solo project, you stand a decent chance of being hired. That's pretty vastly different than even 10 years ago, and it's interesting to me. In that regard, the total 180 on how they're finding people to fill these jobs *IS* a "weird flex" because traditionally, they'd be a lot more conservative with laying out the money to people that they're so critically dependent on. They're getting double duty of talent acquisition AND marketing by hiring these guys with big names, and I personally think Gary Stern saw this trend coming long before anyone else did.
    Also, I totally forgot about the Sharpes on my list! Sorry guys!

Even though I don't agree with all of your post, as I really like most of Borg's games.. ***EXACTLY THIS** is the crux. All of these guys, even the ones I don't personally like, are these guys, and more. The value these companies are getting by hiring these guys is nuts.
    I did watch Jack's stream of the JP home pin. While I don't agree with the pricing that was set for it, what was done with the game is great. I'd certainly like to play one at some point just to see how it compares build-quality wise from Stern's prior attempts. Maybe there will be one at TPF? Looking forward to seeing some mechanical innovation from Jack. The T-Rex was just the start. Let's see what he does with a full budget!

Okay, I hear what you’re saying. It’s both good and bad. There guys made homebrews and understand pinball at a quantum level, however they also don’t come from the same vein as the guys like Richie and others who were game programmers first and basically got thrown into design.
    Remember Richie did all the Atari pins (which are shitty mainly due to Atari’s poor execution and massive games) and to my knowledge he basically was just winging it with little to no experience behind him. This is why history is important. Nothing is really new, it may have a new coat of paint but it’s all the same essence.

Are we ALL FORGETTING LAWLOR? Pat literally made a game (Bonzai Run/Wreck’n Ball) in his shed and dragged it to a trade show to get a job. Pat along with the Black Hole guys are the ORIGINAL homebrews turned professional designers.

Quoted from Beechwood:

Hopefully this will revitalize pinball, make it more mainstream, and save it from the brink of collapse!!!

Where in the hell have you been?!? Pinball is more popular now than 15 years ago when Stern was on the brink of closing and literally every other manufacturer was closed. I’d say 2005-2008 was probably THE CLOSEST pinball ever was complete annihilation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-danger-hired-as-full-time-designer-at-stern?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.