Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sven
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7CEB041C-63DC-4F3D-860A-C418A0CFEE42 (resized).png
    ADF435EA-9FCC-4AD3-AAF2-0D97C47F442C (resized).jpeg
    GLOBAL LIFESTYLE BRAND (resized).png
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Obviously we had some pretty big hints that Jack would be doing another game for Stern, but they just made it official. Congrats DeadFlip , can't wait to see what goofy shit you get up to over there.

GLOBAL LIFESTYLE BRAND (resized).pngGLOBAL LIFESTYLE BRAND (resized).png
    #2 2 years ago

Congrats DeadFlip !!!

#3 2 years ago

Congrats Jack!

#4 2 years ago

Congrats.

It's about time a woman cracked that glass ceiling at Stern.

#5 2 years ago

He well deserves that job! This also means there’s a good chance that we might get some unique game titles!

#6 2 years ago

Congratulations on the new job! I know you will do an outstanding job and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

#7 2 years ago

Lol, well now I’d say the chances of a Tank Girl pinball machine rocket to the top!! Jack always said it would be a badass machine. Big props and congrats to him!

#8 2 years ago

A well deserved congratulations to Jack

#9 2 years ago

Great move for Stern. Congrats, Jack!

#10 2 years ago

Wow. Congrats.

#11 2 years ago

Apparently being a streamer or high level tournament player is now required CV material for these companies.

Weird flex, but it's their money. Stern cashing in on the cult of personality... congrats to Gary for recognizing the zeitgeist...

#12 2 years ago
    ADF435EA-9FCC-4AD3-AAF2-0D97C47F442C (resized).jpegADF435EA-9FCC-4AD3-AAF2-0D97C47F442C (resized).jpeg
    #13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Apparently being a streamer or high level tournament player is now required CV material for these companies.
    Weird flex, but it's their money. Stern cashing in on the cult of personality... congrats to Gary for recognizing the zeitgeist...

I agree, I would much prefer they hire people who hate pinball to make new pinball. Everyone knows the guys that actually enjoy and play pinball (like Elwin) can't make a decent game to save their life.

#14 2 years ago

Atta boy! Love the move. Congrats @deadflip!

#15 2 years ago

Major congrats Jack! You da man!

#16 2 years ago

LMAO at the downvoting like this isn't a thing now. I didn't say anything one way or the other about it, just stated a fact.

What's wrong, you guys don't agree?

Stern - Keith Elwin, player
    Jack Danger, streamer

Multimorphic - Bowen Kerins, player
    Colin MacAlpine, player

Ex-Spooky - Scott Danesi, player (and lowkey genius)
    - Bowen again

Spooky/Spooky Contractors - Ben Heck, streamer

American Pinball - Jeff Teolis, podcaster and player

Who else am I missing on this list? I'm sure there's one or two more.

But hey, fake news, amirite?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

LMAO at the downvoting like this isn't a thing now. I didn't say anything one way or the other about it, just stated a fact.
    Jack Danger, streamer
    Colin MacAlpine, player
    - Bowen again

Not sure if you're actually this dense or just playing stupid, but in case you need it spelled out:

Saying "Weird flex, but it's their money. Stern cashing in on the cult of personality... " is implying other people should have this job instead of the guys actually interested and invested in the hobby. I guess I don't know what your point is, but I'm personally loving the fact that companies are hiring guys who are passionate about the hobby.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Jack Danger, streamer
    Colin MacAlpine, player
    - Bowen again

Conversely:

Pat Lawlor: As everyone knows, "so-so" Designer (lol), not a great player

Steve Ritchie: "above average designer with only a couple "hits" under his belt (lol)", decent player, but not great

John Borg: Never worked on any "big time" games before (lol), terrible player.

The list goes on...

I get where you are coming from, but being a decent player generally takes time, and with time, comes experience. As in most things in life, you can be a "books" type, or an "experience" type. Being both is golden. Just because someone doesn't have a formal education in design, mathematics, geometry, etc, doesn't mean they don't understand what makes pinball fun or challenging. People that are passionate about a particular thing generally drive themselves to be really good at it.

And congrats Jack Danger, the physically tallest designer in all of pinball history? (I was shocked when I met him at pinburgh a couple years ago, haha)

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Jack Danger, streamer
    Colin MacAlpine, player
    - Bowen again

Maybe they should hire some dude who comes on pinside and bitches about stuff instead....

Congrats Jack!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

IDK... being a motivated, enthusiastic, high level charismatic player that understands what makes pinball fun seems like a pretty safe play for a pinball designer! In Jack's case he comes from a creative background as an animator and is certainly a people person with a positive attitude.

Hiring young talent with a passion seems like a no-brainer to me. Congrats Jack, looking forward to your designs!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Jack Danger, streamer
    Colin MacAlpine, player
    - Bowen again

You’ve got a good point Frax.
    I think Jack Danger is very entertaining on his Deadflip streams and no question has an ability to market a product. To this day, I credit my purchase of Primus to watching his video. He’s also a solid player and is terrific at giving tips during gameplay.
    There’s no question Jack has many skills and talent. His biggest, to me, is connecting with the consumer which is invaluable to any business.
    Sounds like a win-win scenario. They were smart to snatch him up IMO.
    I hope he kicks some ass and we get to see other skills he has because I’m sure he’ll deliver.
    I wish him the best.

#23 2 years ago

Congrats Jack!
    Can't wait to see what you come up with

#24 2 years ago

Congrats Jack!

#25 2 years ago

I just hope now that he's corporate he doesn't become Jack Safety

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

I just hope now that he's corporate he doesn't become Jack Safety

I LOL'd.

Congrats Jack! Go kick some ass!

#27 2 years ago

if you play the JP Home Pin, you'll realize how talented of a designer Jack is. What he was able to create with that BOM is amazing, and the flow of the machine and creativity of the shots given the $$ constraints is nothing short of outstanding.

Having met Jack, his passion for the hobby and effort he's put into being a full time pinball professional are 2nd to none.

Everyone who enjoys pinball should be celebrating this.

Quoted from Frax:

#28 2 years ago

Anyone know what these jobs pay? Just curious as they seem to bounce around a bit. I'd imagine low 6 figure at the most and maybe some bonus for sales numbers?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Is there anything you won’t piss or moan about?

Jack has already designed a successful pinball machine. That’s not Enough of a CV for you?

#30 2 years ago

Looking at what he did with so little on the Home JP - I think this is a home run for the pinball community. Looking forward to some original designs that will feel good to shoot. Congrats @deadflip. Keep the creativity coming and don't fall into the same old style that has plagued other designers.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Anyone know what these jobs pay? Just curious as they seem to bounce around a bit. I'd imagine low 6 figure at the most and maybe some bonus for sales numbers?

Not nearly as much as you think.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I get where you are coming from

Do you, and the others, or is this just more "Everything Frax says is always negative regardless of anything, screw having a rational conversation" typical Pinside BS, as usual?

Do you guys not find it interesting that the industry has moved away from taking guys from other adjacent and more directly involved parts of the "amusement complex" to do this stuff, to streamers and players? When you look at all the old guys, they came from other things within the arcade industry, and had little to no experience designing a pinball machine or otherwise having anything to do with pinball at all.

Now, all the new hires come in with EXTENSIVE knowledge of pinball, whether that be community, electronics, or design. The manufacturers aren't having to have these guys effectively apprentice for years to get to a level where they can fly solo in their position. Not only that, most would argue they're doing a superior job. I don't think anyone could say that pinball wasn't in desperate need of this new blood. It's just coming from unexpected places, and it's a pretty big "sea change" that landing these positions is no longer limited to industry insiders. If you can prove you have the skills on a solo project, you stand a decent chance of being hired. That's pretty vastly different than even 10 years ago, and it's interesting to me. In that regard, the total 180 on how they're finding people to fill these jobs *IS* a "weird flex" because traditionally, they'd be a lot more conservative with laying out the money to people that they're so critically dependent on. They're getting double duty of talent acquisition AND marketing by hiring these guys with big names, and I personally think Gary Stern saw this trend coming long before anyone else did.

Also, I totally forgot about the Sharpes on my list! Sorry guys!

Quoted from Grandnational007:

"books" type, or an "experience" type. Being both is golden.

Even though I don't agree with all of your post, as I really like most of Borg's games.. ***EXACTLY THIS** is the crux. All of these guys, even the ones I don't personally like, are these guys, and more. The value these companies are getting by hiring these guys is nuts.

I did watch Jack's stream of the JP home pin. While I don't agree with the pricing that was set for it, what was done with the game is great. I'd certainly like to play one at some point just to see how it compares build-quality wise from Stern's prior attempts. Maybe there will be one at TPF? Looking forward to seeing some mechanical innovation from Jack. The T-Rex was just the start. Let's see what he does with a full budget!

#33 2 years ago

Awesome, living the dream this guy

#34 2 years ago

Thats great news. I wonder if they can fit in a game from each designer every year at this point. Probably not. But JP the pin looks great and Im really excited to see what he brings. Congrats jack

#35 2 years ago

Hopefully he gets enough scratch to buy a new jacket.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Do you, and the others, or is this just more "Everything Frax says is always negative regardless of anything, screw having a rational conversation" typical Pinside BS, as usual?
    Do you guys not find it interesting that the industry has moved away from taking guys from other adjacent and more directly involved parts of the "amusement complex" to do this stuff, to streamers and players? When you look at all the old guys, they came from other things within the arcade industry, and had little to no experience designing a pinball machine or otherwise having anything to do with pinball at all.
    Now, all the new hires come in with EXTENSIVE knowledge of pinball, whether that be community, electronics, or design. The manufacturers aren't having to have these guys effectively apprentice for years to get to a level where they can fly solo in their position. Not only that, most would argue they're doing a superior job. I don't think anyone could say that pinball wasn't in desperate need of this new blood. It's just coming from unexpected places, and it's a pretty big "sea change" that landing these positions is no longer limited to industry insiders. If you can prove you have the skills on a solo project, you stand a decent chance of being hired. That's pretty vastly different than even 10 years ago, and it's interesting to me. In that regard, the total 180 on how they're finding people to fill these jobs *IS* a "weird flex" because traditionally, they'd be a lot more conservative with laying out the money to people that they're so critically dependent on. They're getting double duty of talent acquisition AND marketing by hiring these guys with big names, and I personally think Gary Stern saw this trend coming long before anyone else did.

Even though I don't agree with all of your post, as I really like most of Borg's games.. ***EXACTLY THIS** is the crux. All of these guys, even the ones I don't personally like, are these guys, and more. The value these companies are getting by hiring these guys is nuts.
    I did watch Jack's stream of the JP home pin. While I don't agree with the pricing that was set for it, what was done with the game is great. I'd certainly like to play one at some point just to see how it compares build-quality wise from Stern's prior attempts. Maybe there will be one at TPF? Looking forward to seeing some mechanical innovation from Jack. The T-Rex was just the start. Let's see what he does with a full budget!

I'm confused. In your first post you said that Stern is cashing in on a cult of personality and then in your second post you kind of try to backtrack. So which one is it?

#37 2 years ago

Congrats to Jack!!! His podcasts and IE Pinball are the only ones that I bother checking out. Well, Bowen\PAPA too.

#38 2 years ago

Congratulations Jack. Can’t wait to see your first offering, I’m sure you’ll bring something fresh.

#39 2 years ago

I'd imagine that pinball companies are open to designs from non pinball streamers, pro players, or personalities if someone gets recognized for having passion and the skills to design a game. It's just 2021, and where do you get recognized if you aren't putting yourself and your knowledge of the games out there on social media, or building games on your own dime and taking your games to shows? I imagine the route of getting your foot in the door and working your way up to designer is a way to do it, but it's not the only way anymore. Great for Jack. He seems like a good guy and obviously has put in a lot of his own time to understand the games and how they work to get to this point. It's not cult of personality. Highly successful people tend to be quite personable.

#40 2 years ago

Congrats @deadflip, you deserve it!!!!

Here's hoping I can flip on a Power Rangers table that you design!!!!!!!!

#41 2 years ago

Hopefully this will revitalize pinball, make it more mainstream, and save it from the brink of collapse!!!

#42 2 years ago

Undoutedly hours streaming got his foot in the door at Stern, but at least with Stern, the key that both Elwin and Jack share is that they designed and built their own homebrew designs before being given the job. I believe Gomez has stated that designing a working machine is something that he looks for, or was waiting to see in potential hires.

No doubt if you can build a homebrew, even with a lot of community help, you have a great shot at having all the skills (and then some) needed to be a lead designer, which is a member of a team working on any given machine.

Kudos and congratulations to Jack. I'll be curious to see what happens to the Deadflip channel and streams. I assume that they'll at a minimum be pared back, which is sad, but still happy to see what I assume must be a dream come true work out for Jack.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Okay, I hear what you’re saying. It’s both good and bad. There guys made homebrews and understand pinball at a quantum level, however they also don’t come from the same vein as the guys like Richie and others who were game programmers first and basically got thrown into design.
    Remember Richie did all the Atari pins (which are shitty mainly due to Atari’s poor execution and massive games) and to my knowledge he basically was just winging it with little to no experience behind him. This is why history is important. Nothing is really new, it may have a new coat of paint but it’s all the same essence.

Are we ALL FORGETTING LAWLOR? Pat literally made a game (Bonzai Run/Wreck’n Ball) in his shed and dragged it to a trade show to get a job. Pat along with the Black Hole guys are the ORIGINAL homebrews turned professional designers.

Quoted from Beechwood:

Hopefully this will revitalize pinball, make it more mainstream, and save it from the brink of collapse!!!

Where in the hell have you been?!? Pinball is more popular now than 15 years ago when Stern was on the brink of closing and literally every other manufacturer was closed. I’d say 2005-2008 was probably THE CLOSEST pinball ever was complete annihilation.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Okay, I hear what you’re saying. It’s both good and bad. There guys made homebrews and understand pinball at a quantum level, however they also don’t come from the same vein as the guys like Richie and others who were game programmers first and basically got thrown into design.
    Remember Richie did all the Atari pins (which are shitty mainly due to Atari’s poor execution and massive games) and to my knowledge he basically was just winging it with little to know experience behind him. This is why history is important. Nothing is really new, it may have a new coat of paint but it’s all the same essence.
    Are we ALL FORGETTING LAWLOR? Pat literally made a game (Bonzai Run/Wreck’n Ball) in his shed and dragged it to a trade show to get a job. Pat along with the Black Hole guys are the ORIGINAL homebrews turned professional designers.

Where in the hell have you been?!? Pinball is more popular now than 15 years ago when Stern was on the brink of closing and literally every other manufacturer was closed. I’d say 2005-2008 was probably THE CLOSEST pinball ever was complete annihilation.

Steve Ritchie was just a technician on the Atari manufacturing line, originally in the video game section. He got a pinball design job because he, wait for it, built a homebrew in his free time and impressed his boss with it.

I wanna say Jon Norris also got his start with a EM retheme/homebrew/Frankenstein-monster.

Also congrats to Jack. I'm sure it's the dream job he never knew he wanted till a few years ago.

#45 2 years ago

Congratulations Jack !
    LTG : )

#46 2 years ago

So awesome DeadFlip you've worked incredibly hard for pinball, nice to see it rewarded.

#47 2 years ago

Congrats Jack! Excited to see what he does on a full cornerstone game.

#48 2 years ago

This is great news! Jack is very talented. Wise decision by Stern to bring him on.

#49 2 years ago

I just hope it's not the end of the streams. I enjoy grabbing an adult beverage and relaxing with a DeadFlip stream every now and then.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

IDK... being a motivated, enthusiastic, high level charismatic player that understands what makes pinball fun seems like a pretty safe play for a pinball designer! In Jack's case he comes from a creative background as an animator and is certainly a people person with a positive attitude.
    Hiring young talent with a passion seems like a no-brainer to me. Congrats Jack, looking forward to your designs!

I don't see how you can do much better. He has an art background, loves pinball, good at playing, good at pr, already designed pins, enthusiastic, and well known in pinball community. Surprised Stern didn't bring him on sooner. Hope Stern gives him some decent themes to start out. Looking forward to some fresh designs.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jack-danger-hired-as-full-time-designer-at-stern?hl=timmmmyboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.