(Topic ID: 229866)

J K Rowling thinks pinball is gambling, but mobile game announced?!

By geoncic

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2n8ku2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from geoncic:

So, I just listened to This Week in Pinball Podcast with the Christopher Franchi interview. Franchi mentioned he was working on a mobile game with the Harry Potter license. Does anybody else find it ridiculous that J K Rowling refuses to license a pinball, because she associates it with gambling, yet Zynga recently announced a mobile Harry Potter game (which is most definitely going to be filled with micro-transactions).
    99% of mobile games with micro-transactions bank use the same psychological manipulation techniques that gambling does. And some of them are straight up gambling (loot boxes, rare cards, rare eggs, etc.)
    What does everybody think? Can we educate this person on the positive aspects of pinball and some of the great charities that pinball uses to reach out to children in need and others?

Has any person ever documented Ms. Rowling’s alleged disdain for pinball? I understand some industry people inferred they tried to get the license and couldn’t, but I’ve only seen speculation on the reasons why. The Beatles have been licensed, at a huge figure by reports. Could potter be in a pipeline?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty sure this is a total urban legend, and pinball is just SO down on the totem pole of licensing $$$$$ That it’s not on the radar. She has agents, by the way. They’re not exactly out for the good of the people

Yep, this is kind of what I figured. Just making sure there wasn’t some article of report out there where she bad mouthed Arcade amusements or something else strange that would lend credence to the story...figured it was urban legend.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/j-k-rowling-thinks-pinball-is-gambling-but-mobile-game-announced?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.