(Topic ID: 229866)

J K Rowling thinks pinball is gambling, but mobile game announced?!

By geoncic

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2n8ku2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

So, I just listened to This Week in Pinball Podcast with the Christopher Franchi interview. Franchi mentioned he was working on a mobile game with the Harry Potter license. Does anybody else find it ridiculous that J K Rowling refuses to license a pinball, because she associates it with gambling, yet Zynga recently announced a mobile Harry Potter game (which is most definitely going to be filled with micro-transactions).

99% of mobile games with micro-transactions bank use the same psychological manipulation techniques that gambling does. And some of them are straight up gambling (loot boxes, rare cards, rare eggs, etc.)

What does everybody think? Can we educate this person on the positive aspects of pinball and some of the great charities that pinball uses to reach out to children in need and others?

#2 5 years ago

Harry Potter sucks

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Harry Potter sucks

Maybe so, but tons of people love that universe... I really enjoyed the books and the earlier movies. As I got older it kind of lost it's magic, but I think I would enjoy the theme if it was done well. Lot's of potential for a deep story line and rule set. How much fun would it be to find and destroy horcruxes, even if you don't like the stories, the concept would work well.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from geoncic:

So, I just listened to This Week in Pinball Podcast with the Christopher Franchi interview. Franchi mentioned he was working on a mobile game with the Harry Potter license. Does anybody else find it ridiculous that J K Rowling refuses to license a pinball, because she associates it with gambling, yet Zynga recently announced a mobile Harry Potter game (which is most definitely going to be filled with micro-transactions).
    99% of mobile games with micro-transactions bank use the same psychological manipulation techniques that gambling does. And some of them are straight up gambling (loot boxes, rare cards, rare eggs, etc.)
    What does everybody think? Can we educate this person on the positive aspects of pinball and some of the great charities that pinball uses to reach out to children in need and others?

Has any person ever documented Ms. Rowling’s alleged disdain for pinball? I understand some industry people inferred they tried to get the license and couldn’t, but I’ve only seen speculation on the reasons why. The Beatles have been licensed, at a huge figure by reports. Could potter be in a pipeline?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Has any person ever documented Ms. Rowling’s alleged disdain for pinball? I understand some industry people inferred they tried to get the license and couldn’t, but I’ve only seen speculation on the reasons why. The Beatles have been licensed, at a huge figure by reports. Could potter be in a pipeline?

Pretty sure this is a total urban legend, and pinball is just SO down on the totem pole of licensing $$$$$ That it’s not on the radar. She has agents, by the way. They’re not exactly out for the good of the people

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty sure this is a total urban legend, and pinball is just SO down on the totem pole of licensing $$$$$ That it’s not on the radar. She has agents, by the way. They’re not exactly out for the good of the people

Yep, this is kind of what I figured. Just making sure there wasn’t some article of report out there where she bad mouthed Arcade amusements or something else strange that would lend credence to the story...figured it was urban legend.

#7 5 years ago

Cue Vid with JK Rowling meme...

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, this is kind of what I figured. Just making sure there wasn’t some article of report out there where she bad mouthed Arcade amusements or something else strange that would lend credence to the story...figured it was urban legend.

I can’t profess to be an authority - but every time I’ve tried to come up with the actual, verified quote/statement/ et al, I come up with a Pinside posting. So... take it for what you will.

#9 5 years ago

A couple of non-Pinside sources say that Roger Sharpe confirmed it. However, none of them provide a direct citation for something he actually wrote or posted. So yes, take it for what you will.

#11 5 years ago

Missed that one, thanks. Still no more negative then essentially "she's not into the idea right now." Perhaps there's hope for the future.

#12 5 years ago

I doubt J K Rowling doesn't understand what a pinball machine is. I think she, or her agents, are very careful with the Harry Potter licence, that's all.

I read that she was insistent on having a great deal of control over the movies before she allowed them.

And from everything I've read about her it isn't about the money, she just wants to protect her creation.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from John-G:

And from everything I've read about her it isn't about the money, she just wants to protect her creation.

Can't blame her. The creation of Harry Potter has drastically changed her life.
    -Mike

#14 5 years ago

J K who? Who cares.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

J K who? Who cares.

this guy cares.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 5 years ago

I would place this license in desirability ahead of the Beatles, and thats difficult for me to admit. A well-done interpretation of Harry Potter would bring a new Generation in droves to pinball, that is, if anything can.

#17 5 years ago
    2n8ku2 (resized).jpg2n8ku2 (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago

“J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a pinball machine...... The category is not one she wants to happen.” Roger Sharpe

#19 5 years ago

I'm guessing when she was young her dad dragged her around to places that had pinball machines and she hated it because she would have rather been at home practicing riding her broom.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from geoncic:

Can we educate this person on the positive aspects of pinball and some of the great charities that pinball uses to reach out to children in need and others?

There are lots of children's charities that Poker donates to, but if you have a disdain for gambling, you are not going to suddenly say "Wow, I love Poker!".

JKR is worth 3/4 of a billion dollars.

You are not going to buy her out, nor "educate" her.

She's super smart, and very much in control of her brand.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:“J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a pinball machine...... The category is not one she wants to happen.” Roger Sharpe

This is reference is not in context and is misleading. “J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a pinball machine at the moment. "

#23 5 years ago

Perhaps she walked into a pinball festival once, took one smell and one look around, shook her head and said "uh-uh".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/j-k-rowling-thinks-pinball-is-gambling-but-mobile-game-announced?hl=gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.