(Topic ID: 188251)

I've watched all the vids. Alien pinball looks kinda lame.

By Hawkeyepin

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jonesjb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I was thinking about my next pin and Alien had crossed my mind right around the time I smartly bought a GB pro. I watched every video I could find and I like the old school spinner sounds and that's it. It looks slow, stop and go and I didn't detect any cool playfield toys. Any owners or potential buyers maybe have a different experience? I also liked the integrated video. Not sure I would like it as much as GB.

#2 3 years ago

Why buy a cow before you sneak a taste from the teat?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I was thinking about my next pin and Alien had crossed my mind right around the time I smartly bought a GB pro. I watched every video I could find and I like the old school spinner sounds and that's it. It looks slow, stop and go and I didn't detect any cool playfield toys. Any owners or potential buyers maybe have a different experience? I also liked the integrated video. Not sure I would like it as much as GB.

Yeah it doesn't have a terrible flipper gap, poor geometry, linear modes, airballs, cheap drains, or a dangling booger toy. You'd hate it!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

dangling booger toy

This made me laugh - a lot!

#5 3 years ago

Im part of the dream theme crowd, but whats been delivered on this pin (or not) has dissappointed on every level. Should they actually start shipping in quantities I dont think it will be long before they are easy to find and discounted on the secondary market if you wanted to give one a try.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Im part of the dream theme crowd, but whats been delivered on this pin (or not) has dissappointed on every level. Should they actually start shipping in quantities I dont think it will be long before they are easy to find and discounted on the secondary market if you wanted to give one a try.

Disappointed in terms of .. what? Layout and shot planning / aka "fun", or are you speaking in more business terms

#7 3 years ago

I understand Ops point, but I feel the videos only show a few people with their relative experience,
playing a new game, without game tuned shots in their experience.

I remember not being thrilled with the early videos from many releases....IM, TWD, GB.....

Took it a while, and time of my playing, to learn a game, and find the joy in code, soundtrack, shots,
and rewards.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I understand Ops point, but I feel the videos only show a few people with their relative experience,
playing a new game, without game tuned shots in their experience.
I remember not being thrilled with the early videos from many releases....IM, TWD, GB.....
Took it a while, and time of my playing, to learn a game, and find the joy in code, soundtrack, shots,
and rewards.

I agree. Anyone here spend any significant amount of time on it? Is it relatively slow?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I agree. Anyone here spend any significant amount of time on it? Is it relatively slow?

I have had a good amount of time on alien and i can tell you it is not slow at all.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah it doesn't have a terrible flipper gap, poor geometry, linear modes, airballs, cheap drains, or a dangling booger toy. You'd hate it!

You were the same guy who said Avatar LE was "fast, fun and addictive" (Ironman style). It looks like you also actually owned a Popeye Saves the Earth". I guess I question your judgement.

#11 3 years ago

Edit: Deleted ultra negative, yet hilarious response.

Thanks for creating an outlet for the small handful of somewhat *cough* negative people that visit the Alien thread.

Cool playfield toys....right on. It would've been sweet if they could've had the Alien Queen grab the ball with her mouth.

#12 3 years ago

Y'all might consider getting in touch with your "inner pin-slut side". I did. I'll play anything, anywhere, and enjoy it as much as I can.... The uppity bitches hate me, but I suspect they secretly want to be like me.

Have a good time and just flip out...but be safe and use protection. :p

#13 3 years ago

I own it, find it very fast, rules/scores well balanced, unique modes that I want to complete, several multiballs. Undoubtedly having an early production game there have been some issues but it is a ton of fun in my opinion, which is all it is. Not every game is for everyone, I for the life of my can't seem to have fun on Monster Bash or Twilight Zone, it's kind of what is nice about this hobby you don't have to like every game that is out there, and you definitely don't have to buy anything.

Although I do just have to say I think the slow and stop and go part isn't the most accurate. The average ball time on my game after 1300 plays (that includes 3 days at the Texas Pinball Festival and 2 days at Pinball at the Zoo, and 14 days on location) is actually 13 seconds, with game time at just over 2 minutes (ball save, and then virtual ball saves impact the game time vs ball time totals). Ramps have great flow, and the upper one is hard enough that it makes you really appreciate it when you do hit it.

Also have to keep in mind that when I am streaming the game (and I'm guessing a lot of the video out there is of my machine so you may have watched some of it) I do play more stop and go as I try to interact with people who are watching the stream and explain things while I'm playing which is not how I would typically play the game when I am just at home by myself having fun. I hit the left orbit 5 times in a row last night and that ball was flying around, the right orbit show I have only been able to combo twice as it is harder to hit accurately, the ramp combos are easy to hit and get the ball flying back and forth across the playfield, and if you combo right flipper to left saucer to chestbuster target to upper left ramp back to right ramp the ball is going high speed and crisscrossing the playfield in very unique ways requiring shots from all 4 flippers. I'd honestly just recommend seeking one out when they become more available to play and see how you like it then.

#14 3 years ago

I agree with PersonX99, pinball enjoyment is subjective, like music or art. Everyone has there thing, occasionally I can enjoy a good slow EM, on some days these modern new Sterns are just, well, too fast. Faster is not always better. I may be biased because I am a strong fan of anything Alien, but I didn't see anything specific that was "just terrible" looking at it in online vidoes. I think the sound is good. I like the colors and lighting. Is there something horrible about the gameplay?...I don't think anyone can really judge that until it's played, and more than once. Hasn't everyone had one bad game out of the gate trying a new pin they have never played before?

#15 3 years ago

Full Throttle has also been described as fast, with great flow by some people.
I'm not one of those people.
So like every single other pin out there, your opinion isn't right or wrong, it's just your own.
No guarantee you'll like any particular pin.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Full Throttle has also been described as fast

Fastest game I own...you need to make sure the ramps are dialed in etc.

#17 3 years ago

You can't judge a game from just videos. Well, I guess you can. But you can't create a thread telling the world you judged it just from videos... oh I guess you can. I can't discount your entire life from this meaningless thread of you watching videos of pinball... or can I...

#18 3 years ago

I'd say judging a pin before playing it yourself is kinda lame.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

You were the same guy who said Avatar LE was "fast, fun and addictive" (Ironman style). It looks like you also actually owned a Popeye Saves the Earth". I guess I question your judgement.

Avatar is fast fun and addictive. Tell me why it's not. Main reason I see people not liking Avatar is the theme or the one ramp....and that's fair. Ultimately I sold t because I have similar games I like better. I still think it's an underrated game and fun for what it is.

As for Popeye...you're telling me you wouldn't pick up a nice $1000 Popeye locally just to jam on for a bit? Popeye's my favorite old cartoon character. I got it, shopped it, played it, sold it. It's not a great game but it's not horrible. It has its charm.

Interesting that you brought the two games with an environmental message as examples to insult me. Hmmmm ....

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

It is his lot in life to tell the world how much he hates GB.

#21 3 years ago

I don't like game bashing on here, I mean opinions and disappointment is a personal experience. I like games that some would even call the lamest game ever made just for one main reason. When I play pinball I'm one of two kinds of people. Those that are playing pinball and those that aren't. I am glad anytime I'm in the latter group... If it's pinball I like it!

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

But avatar is fast fun and addictive with an amazing soundtrack, also popeye is a great underrated game this video and review speaks for itself,http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/grizzs-ultimate-guide-to-popeye-the-good-the-bad-and-the-spinach.34036/

#23 3 years ago

Nothing like using video to base your opinions about a pinball machine. Maximus Stupidity ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!all systems go!

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Avatar is fast fun and addictive. Tell me why it's not. Main reason I see people not liking Avatar is the theme or the one ramp....and that's fair. Ultimately I sold t because I have similar games I like better. I still think it's an underrated game and fun for what it is.
As for Popeye...you're telling me you wouldn't pick up a nice $1000 Popeye locally just to jam on for a bit? Popeye's my favorite old cartoon character. I got it, shopped it, played it, sold it. It's not a great game but it's not horrible. It has its charm.
Interesting that you brought the two games with an environmental message as examples to insult me. Hmmmm ....

I sold my Avatar after picking up an Iron Man. Similar games. I have NOTHING bad to say about Avatar. A dialed in Avatar is a fun game to play, especially in competition. I cringe when I hear terms like "Avaturd".

Now I have a hankering to play some Avatar...

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I suggest driving the 4? Hours to Madison to play it for yourself before making such a bold statement based on some videos. It degrades your opinion as a pinhead when you do things like watch videos or play a game on pinball arcade and then start a proclimation thred.

If you actually want to check out the game in person and see what it is like, then plan a trip over and let me know when. Free games on me and I can walk you through some of the objectives.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The theme kills it for me. I hate the call outs. And the staple lanes always bug me (I overlook it on MET because the rest of the game is so good).

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd buy a nice Popeye for $1000. How bad can it be?

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I suggest driving the 4? Hours to Madison to play it for yourself before making such a bold statement based on some videos. It degrades your opinion as a pinhead when you do things like watch videos or play a game on pinball arcade and then start a proclimation thred.
If you actually want to check out the game in person and see what it is like, then plan a trip over and let me know when. Free games on me and I can walk you through some of the objectives.

Sounds good!

Like my original post stated, it LOOKED kind of lame. I don't have access to one close by and I realize you can't judge a game by a video. I described what I saw as best I could and asked for owner INPUT.

I've watched every Alien movie including requiem. I love the theme. I bought GB however due to it being readily available. I think it was smart cuz I love it but wouldn't mind expanding.

Of course a bunch of folks got upset and gave a bunch of thumbs down rather than fully reading what I was asking. I did appreciate what the video owner posted and other players have said.

It sounds faster than what it looks like! Definitely worth a spin.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This. I wouldn't have any pins in my collection if I just watched "videos" of them on youtube

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Most of the Popeye complaints come from the fact that it's a widebody from the era of widebodies like STTNG, TZ, RS, JD...games that used that extra space and packed a lot of super cool stuff in there. Popeye is relatively simple in comparison. Plus, many don't like that the upper playfield blocks the view of some scoop shots that you need to make...however, I didn't find that to be a huge deal, as there are inserts aiming toward those shots...shoot the insert path & the shots are made easily. Also, some people don't like the environmental theme, cuz you know....F this planet, right!??! It's not the best, it's not the worst. Any DMD pinball is worth paying $1000 to jam on, whether it's a keeper or not.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You can't judge a game from just videos. Well, I guess you can. But you can't create a thread telling the world you judged it just from videos... oh I guess you can. I can't discount your entire life from this meaningless thread of you watching videos of pinball... or can I...

I don't have one here to play so I asked for owners input. I said what I saw on video LOOKED lame. Final judgement would be me playing it. I asked owners to confirm if it was slow to justify me driving to find it. Discount all u want.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I did buy a Popeye for $1000 and it ain't bad at all. I actually like it alot. Challenging ruleset widebody game and with cool white LEDs the game looks beautiful too. A lot of the hate it gets is from sheeple who parrot out what someone else says without ever really playing it first. I only sold Popeye to buy a Transformers Pro which was a mistake on my part. Transformers didn't last a month and I wish I had Popeye back.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It degrades your opinion as a pinhead when you do things like watch videos or play a game on pinball arcade and then start a proclimation thred.

He said "it looks kinda lame from videos" .. that is certainly a valid opinion. He never claimed the game sucked or didn't shoot well, he's simply commenting on the vids.

Does suggesting that people buy games from a scam artist (as you have in the past) degrade your opinion on pinside?

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Uh huh. Interested to hear more. Here you go- - I love GB's layout. That'll keep ya busy.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Uh huh. Interested to hear more. Here you go- - I love GB's layout. That'll keep ya busy.

Your game, your opinion - I can't take that away from you. Hopefully you can understand why some people have the opposite opinion.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Popeye is relatively simple in comparison.

Oh hell no. Popeye is really pretty complex, and that hurts it in some ways (upper PF rules and some strange geometry). Like others have said, it's not horrible... it has pretty decent flow and a ton of shots. Biggest issue is not being able to see some shots unless you squat and look under the UPF. Actually, scratch that - biggest problem is 'lite lock' on the skillshot, which for a good player means they can plunge right into multiball. I suggest Phoebe's fix of covering that skillshot hole up

#37 3 years ago

When I see topics like this I always wonder what the goal is? What did you want to archive? People confirming or disagreeing? Or is it just to "get the party started"?

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Your game, your opinion - I can't take that away from you. Hopefully you can understand why some people have the opposite opinion.

Oh I understand THAT. Let's not cloud the issue. YOU insinuated by your first post I wouldn't like Alien because I like GB and then took yet another opportunity to list what u don't like about GB. Kind of a hijack if you ask me. That part I don't understand. I don't agree with your GB assessment. Try not to personalize it. This topic is about Alien.

#39 3 years ago

I love Popeye Saves The Earth, its a fun game!
But it has to have the original Bluto head on it. The flat clear replacement (though easier to see thru) looks terrible in comparison.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Oh I understand THAT. Let's not cloud the issue. YOU insinuated by your first post I wouldn't like Alien because I like GB and then took yet another opportunity to list what u don't like about GB. Kind of a hijack if you ask me. That part I don't understand. I don't agree with your GB assessment. Try not to personalize it. This topic is about Alien.

You accused me of trolling the anti-GB thread....this thread seemed trolly...so I was trolling your troll thread. That's really what it was all about. Peace & Love

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Heck I've spent over 6 hours watching all the good videos on you tube and I'd say the game is definately not slow.

#42 3 years ago

I'm terribly biased. Anything Alien is good.

#43 3 years ago

I disagree.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside