• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by JediPimp
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Gah! Im going to vent here for a bit!

My Dredd has been having ball issues for months now. I've had two balls launch when only one was supposed to, I've had games end while one ball was still on the play field and I've had endless multiball in play!

I thought getting new ball tough onto boards from Great Lakes Modular would fix the issue. Turns out it was okay for a week and then the same ball trough issues!

Now my crane doesn't seem to drop the ball through the opto on the left elevated ramp. One of the balls always seem to just fall off dead world and it messes up the ball count. Ive tried adjusting the ramp and the dead world ring every way i can think of, it still happens on one of the balls.

Today I tried bending the left ramp opto and i ended up breaking it from the plastic! I have to find a way to fix it or risk having to get a new ramp (its the one that black out is connected to). Tape and blu-tack may work but looks so cheap!

Oh yeah, I should mention i have the dead world mod from pinbits with the L1AT ROM. It is the correct ROM as I do not have a prototype game.

I've had it up to here with Dredd. I've had solenoids fail, I've had Bridge Rectifiers blow, I've had countless fuses go, I've had LED's burn out after 6 months (??) and I recently had to get a new ribbon cable that connected the Dot Matrix board to the CPU board, it just conked out on me!

Ahh, just wanted to vent. Anyone else frustrated with their Dredd. Its lovely when it works but its such a hassle when it doesn't!

#2 8 years ago

No issues here - love Dredd. The best $1,787.77 game you could buy.

viperrwk

#3 8 years ago

Sounds like a lemon lol sorry jk ,ive had jd for a while with thousands of games with no issues and I have deadworld mod and glm trough boards .so how come once u put the glm boards in it was fine for a week ? Sounds like it fixed it but something went bad in the trough again? Did you replace the connectors for the trough boards bc they can be finicky.?

#4 8 years ago

The ball not dropping through the opto from the crane should not screw up your ball count. You have trough opto issues.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Did you replace the connectors for the trough boards bc they can be finicky.?

Their is a very good chance this is the problem. Remove all balls, put the game into switch test mode, pull out the play field and wiggle the wires going to each trough board, if a switch triggers, you have a bad connection. Replace the connectors and be done with it.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

The ball not dropping through the opto from the crane should not screw up your ball count. You have trough opto issues.

For the deadworld mod early rom, it does.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

For the deadworld mod early rom, it does.

Really...interesting.

Well, then, maybe the first recommendation would be to remove the mod and make sure you get it playing correctly without it. Then add it back in and make the necessary crane adjustments...but it sounds like at this point that might not be worth the frustration.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Really...interesting.
Well, then, maybe the first recommendation would be to remove the mod and make sure you get it playing correctly without it. Then add it back in and make the necessary crane adjustments...but it sounds like at this point that might not be worth the frustration.

You can't do that either without changing the roms.

As for the op, I'm guessing the ball drop has been the issue all along. You likely never noticed it before, as this usually happens when MB starts, and everyone is fixated on controlling the ball in play. The misaligned crane and this leading to it not dropping 100% of the balls through the opto there is the main reason with the proto roms for more than one ball coming out.

I bet when you first turn it on, it works fine, one ball pops out, and then this happens after MB, correct? It won't change until you turn off and on again, or go into the menu and come back out right? That's because it doesn't begin a new count with the balls in the trough alone until it resets.

Until that crane drops 100% of the balls through the opto exit there, you can forget about any other possible issue in the game.

#9 8 years ago

I should add that I do have the L1AT ROM and dead world mod ring from pinbits, and yes with L1AT all 3 balls have to drop through the left ramp opto otherwise ball errors happen.

I ALSO just replaced my ball tough opto boards with brand new ones from Great Lakes Modular.

The crane seems to work fine in test mode (in both adjust arm mode and unload mode).

The problem is DURING game play. I lock all 3 balls in dead world, and then the crane picks up the first ball and stops BEOFRE the left ramp opto and waits for half a second. Then the crane releases the ball and it dribbles off the dead world and onto the play field. Therefore causing ball errors.

Anything I can do pinsiders?

#10 8 years ago

So the crane doesn't make it to above where it should drop the ball, is that the issue? Everything else is fine, optos all check out, crane magnet is working fine (sometimes weak pickups result in ball drops, and there is an adjustment for that)?

#11 8 years ago

i would suggest taking the machine to Ken Shipley he is based on the central coast not to far from you and has all the test benches.Australias #1 Mr Fixit and a great bloke aswell.
go into aussiearcade and search skybeaux then message him.

#12 8 years ago

It's just a matter of getting the crane adjusted and dropping the ball correctly.

#13 8 years ago

As a few have mentioned already, I would check out those opto connectors. If new boards temporarily fixed the problem, I would think you have some crusty connections. I cut my pinball teeth on jd, I feel your pain. I sure learned a hell of alot about pin repair during the process though

#14 8 years ago

Thanks guys (and gals if they are out there!). I have cooled my head after leaving Dredd for a few days and I'm ready to work on it again. Your help is as always appreciated. Ill let you know if I run into more troubles.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from brett2280:

i would suggest taking the machine to Ken Shipley he is based on the central coast not to far from you and has all the test benches.Australias #1 Mr Fixit and a great bloke aswell.
go into aussiearcade and search skybeaux then message him.

Thanks Brett, I will contact Ken and see what he says.

Cheers,

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-had-it-with-this-crane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.