(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 7 years ago

There is so much logic in the thread....
    ...only to be wiped out by the hype of future titles.
    I'm with you guys; I'm no longer in the market. Stern Star Trek LE was my one and only Stern NIB purchase.
    Unless they come out with a pre-2014 LE price on rumored Star Wars; I'm out.

Multimorphic gets my future NIB dollars.

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from HenryWinkler:

Well, I don't know if they are pleasant or not, they removed the only comment I ever made to them without responding to me... and then they banned me from posting anything else.

This won't matter until the social media platforms start dinging the businesses for this behavior.
    A great start would be a deleted comments counter on the thread... like the number of likes.
    On a personal social account; it wouldn't matter... but if you say 16.5k likes 23k deleted comments... id be concerned.
    I don't even "like" stern's FB account anymore. It's a soap box that provides no real value to us "hobbyist".

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

The distributor model isolates them from actual buyers. They like it that way. They KEEP it that way. Now they regulate all pricing.

Actually not true.
    B66SLE was 100% sold by Stern. The distributors were "cut out". You pay Stern directly; not a distributor. I've seen the emails Gary sent his 80 "lucky" buyers.
    So not only is Stern doing a big money grab with this product; but they are increasing their bottom line by cutting out the distributors cut.

I belief that Stern may actually begin moving their non-Pro product lines to "direct to buyer" pricing model; now that they've gotten a taste of not having to provide the distributors of their cut.

Quoted from jar155:

Stern Pinball is no longer a company that I consider to be an ethical business. That's really sad, because I love pinball and they're our biggest player.

Never been ethical... Gary learned it from his dad. Go back and look at how Stern ripped off CPU and board designs from Bally. And ended up getting sued. It's not an "accident" that Stern and Bally boards are basically interchangeable for almost a decade.

#200 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jackalwere:

Gary pretty much kept pinball going through the dark ages on his own. No one does that unless they love pinball.

Unless he doesn't know how to do anything other than be a figure head of a pinball company.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

They are were planing on opening the "Stern Store" in PA in 2017, and have plans for other state locations next year as well.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-store-coming-to-pennsylvania
    It was not some sort of troll post, like so many people originally thought.

Wow, I missed this tidbit of information.
    Kinda glad I did... given he OP didn't understand CAPS lock.

1 week later
    #588 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yet Stern sells approximately 15,000 pins a year, while spooky only sells 150 / 300 / 500 and somehow they seem to be profitable while finishing code

Because It's Charlie and Ben.
    Mad respect for those two.
    Even Madder if they can keep wratching up the games with good code.

Stern might as well move to China. At least the code quality / update cycle wouldn't suffer. They could hire 3x the engineers there.
    I personally have "given up" on another code release for Star Trek.
    Stern has to spend more time on their next titles... and they'll never give us the releases we should be getting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.