(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 7 years ago

Unfortunately, many new collectors will not care, and in the future may not even know some important history.

Some older collectors have moved on literally or figuratively. Some don't care, others are not willing to share out of disgust. Some, remain hopeful out of resolve or just curiously watching.

These are very interesting times again.

Perhaps the Stern Pinball book project will share a few revelations, but the "challenging times" will need to get by the censors, or simply be selectively avoided on who is interviewed. Certainly the remaining old employed designers (game or software) are not going to share "nostaglia" in this area ever again. Some old thoughts can still be found on other forums however, with a bit of research.

The Stern Vegas dice keep rolling on the craps table.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

Jared: It's gonna be EPIC I tell ya, EPIC!!! Please make sure and put EPIC!! on all of Stern's marketing info. EPIC!!

After Stern's 30th Anniversary Party, there was a new urban dictionary term added as a sentence adjective.
    The term is "Stern Epic".

stern epic/stern ˈepik/adjective/noun:
    "An ambiguous advertising descriptive term designed to generate substantial amounts of additional income from non-informed consumers for a separate product, event, or service without possibility of refund prior to actual reveal that has has the same quality of other nearly identical items in the same category. The term may further be identified for confirmation when a product pre-production number is increased without justification prior to actual construction (before or after a reveal) and/or requirement for a buyer to apply for purchase and provide free marketing information to a company for future sales." Not to be confused with the term, "Epic Fail", which is a pure noun, and antonym. A "Stern Epic", is generally classified as an initial success, until initial consumers become self-aware based on information of repeated industry attempts at the same process.

(See Stern BM66 SLE pinball machine for a qualifying example of this definition)

#185 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

but the company as a whole is an ethical mess.

As Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story. Good day?!"

None of areas mentioned are new. This has occurred at all levels since Stern returned to the industry after WMS closed. In 5 years, this same thread will be full of inactive members, and cycle begins all over again. You either accept it, or you don't. Some fanboys might even be enlightened.

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Actually not true.
    B66SLE was 100% sold by Stern. The distributors were "cut out". You pay Stern directly; not a distributor.

It amazes me that many people have already forgotten Stern's "future plans" so quickly.
    They are/were planning on opening the "Stern Store" in PA in 2017, and had plans for other state locations next year as well.
    "Test business opportunities" to see if the concept was beneficial, one step at a time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-store-coming-to-pennsylvania

It was not some sort of troll post, like so many people originally thought.
    It was not a "franchise".
    No distributor involvement there either.
    The "middle man" was completely gone.
    Will the prices be lowered? Highly unlikely.
    Does it significantly increase profit margins? Yes.

Stern is preparing for the next iteration of the market changes in order to ensure their success, including periods of industry stagnation caused by their own decisions.
    Just recognize this tiny niche world can be cutthroat due to the fickle nature of the buyers whether private or operator.
    This also includes innovation, design, and electronics.
    One fart in the wrong direction, can cause eventual collapse of the deck of cards, resulting in a "hibernation effect" of the entire industry.
    People must give Stern credit for exploring every option to generate additional income, because happy times do not last forever.

As I stated, new collectors simply won't care what happened in the past, and it that is perfectly acceptable, not that think it is particularly smart. I like free choice, opportunities, and speech, as that is what I fought to protect regarding freedoms.
    What I don't like is dismissing that "things never ever happened before in the history of pinball" in order to justify some sort of argument, purchase, or epeen. That just implies willful ignorance.

"Knowledge and education provides respect of the past, understanding of the present, and predictions of future."
    If people use it, owners can avoid problems.
    Unfortunately, most people that buy pinball machines simply are not hobbyist, related to the industry, on forums, or even interested in whatever developments may occur.
    Less than 10% of the entire pinball owners even probably reads PinSide, even Facebook has a better audience.

It is time for many to step away from the rat race of NIB machines again, and not exclusively due to pricing.

It is very hard pressed for anyone to get me to believe after so many years collecting that Stern's quality assurance, quality control, features (or reduction thereof), and pricing are comparable now to most titles made in the 1970s, 80s, or 90s either based on construction to cost, or construction and features to cost, as it just does not balance out.
    They are not even fully addressing observations of issues that are being pointed out by very knowledgeable people in some cases.
    Stern has made some very good games over the past 5 years, but they have managed to alienate a large majority of hardened old school collectors in just a few months with their myriad of decisions, that once again are not due exclusively to pricing.

For the rest, new collectors make up their own minds what quality is worth.

#239 7 years ago

"Stern has no reason to care about collectors when they only remain in the hobby for less than five years, and own purchased games for an even shorter amount of time."

(The supported planned lifecycle of the Stern game design is less than 10 years, and private game ownership is averaged at under 2 years. Operator averages in the past were approximately 4 years to recoup their purchase and gain earnings, but are beginning to reshorten again as they decide to sell their stock and remove pinball as a routed amusement device)

This is not a top secret negative conspiracy or crapping on new owners, it is just the development model for games and Stern understanding their market, no different than when games were designed for operators.

Private owners are the new operators and games are designed accordingly.
    The difference is that operators as a whole knew what they were buying, and what to expect in terms of performance and quality.
    Operators had a serious vested interest in trying to get a sustainable product that could generate income, not just a toy. In addition, many knew how to repair games, even if they only sometimes expended minimal effort but they did want something commercially durable. There is no reason to improve anything as long as games continue to sell exceptionally well to uniformed consumers.
    Basic features will continue to be removed from games under construct of being "unnecessary" requirements. When new owners get bored of their toys or they simply don't "work right anymore", they dump them, and move onto something else, including the hobby itself.

#263 7 years ago

Operator Revision.jpgOperator Revision.jpg

#375 7 years ago

I really liked the Pinball Alley billboard, but not the Hurricane.
    It is always concerning when acorn head leg bolts are missing on game photos, regardless of any other factor of consideration due to non-technical nature of the repair and cost effective purchase of new leg plates.

Retro Refurbs makes good decals for the game, if needed.
    http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/hurricane-pinball-cabinet-decals/?currency=USD

GLWTHS.

Waiting to see the "Stern Army" billboard while driving like what was shown on the Expo banner.
    Seems fitting for the thread, whether favorable or fighting for a rebellion.

Stern Army Billboard.jpgStern Army Billboard.jpg

#377 7 years ago

Stern Army Meme.jpgStern Army Meme.jpg

#387 7 years ago

Quigley Butt Ugly 2 (resized).jpgQuigley Butt Ugly 2 (resized).jpg

Quigley Butt Ugly 3 (resized).jpgQuigley Butt Ugly 3 (resized).jpg

#396 7 years ago

Batman Boardroom Meme.jpgBatman Boardroom Meme.jpg

#419 7 years ago

Stern Sheep Anology (resized).jpgStern Sheep Anology (resized).jpg

#493 7 years ago

Stern Surfing3.jpgStern Surfing3.jpg

#608 7 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

It just seems wrong to call pinball a investment any way you look at it.

It is simply a means for a new private owner to justify their purchase, whether to themselves, spouses, family or friends.
    Many times it is used just to justify a new purchase it itself in order to remove a bit of the emotional discourse.
    It is a term that has been used by dealers/distributors/brokers/manufacturers for years to excite human psychology.
    The concept started to truly become widespread after the closure of WMS in 1999, until the end of the reimport era in 2005.

Ultimately, it makes no difference if the game is new or used either.
    I could quote individuals saying this "belief" from another sources since the 1980s.
    The 90s were rampant, the 00s not so much.
    The concept has return to full power now again under the next collector interest wave.
    It will happen again in the future.

"Pure" operators are not part of this ownership group in any way due to context of purchase or regarding eventual resale after their lifecycle is over of income generation and are no longer profitable or cost effective.
    This is occurring again already, as 2016 had very few games released with operators in mind, and operators are removing pinball from their inventories.

I personally have been called "rich and stupid" (maybe out of envy or ignorance, I will not speculate) because I DID NOT believe in the "pinball investment" concept.
    I simply buy games because I enjoy pinball, which to others outside the hobby, sometimes think I am "stupid" as well.
    So who is actually right, both or none?

Many of these people come and go in the hobby if they purchase more than a handful of games, as they sell out in the long run.
    I personally just buy games when prices fall (or I get a good deal), others bail out, or when eyes shift to the new "ooohh, so shiny" games and other other games become neglected in interest or being sold to acquire these new titles.
    It is a very effective means to acquire large quantities of games when opportunities are available.
    This is "the surge" time in terms of sales for me, not when the market is at an all time high.
    It is the same means that dealers/brokers acquire their games (including overseas), as in my case, these are/were my competitors.

The one thing that I can share is if you take care of your games, they will always retain their value, and if held onto long enough will always appreciate entirely based on inflation, age, or collector interest, until the reach a direct "flat line collector value".
    The other factor is if you buy games that need work, and do not require a lot of replacement parts just a lot of repair work, even then are you really gaining income by the hours needed to bring them back to life?

I believe the original OP (or fan) posted this particular interesting article below.
    http://gameroomblog.com/guides/how-i-beat-the-stock-market-by-playing-pinball

However, he ONLY focused on "Top 10" or high B titles, not a single other type of game like EMs or less popular solid state machines, there was no direct correlation between hours spent in maintenance and repair, and just a market assessment of value and inclusion to the number of times played if one a route if they played it on location.
    This is an incomplete analysis, and does not provide a comprehensive picture of the concept.
    For example, you cannot "turn a dime on a turd" unless you don't value your time in the first place and you don't care about costs of parts.
    Where is the the technical repair costs?
    Another example is if you have to store games externally, if you have no room, and have to pay for storage (and separate insurance), significant profit margin is lost.
    This can become a common problem once you own more than 20+ machines as private owner, not just a dealer.
    I know I have this problem myself, as "keepers"+restorations+projects+parts take up more than than a full size house (greater than 2500 sf), unless I want to sleep under pinball machines or have no furniture, which I refuse to do.
    40 machines in a single "pinball bank" is nearly 120 linear feet!
    Did people know that generally for every 3-4 pinball machines a "hardcore collector" owns, there are is generally at least one more machine lying in wings for restoration or project game?
    This is not a joke, it is reality.
    Acquisition is easy, removal is hard.

What if you have to hold onto a game for months/years because it refuses to sell at your asking price?
    How do you make profit on something you decide to never sell anyway?
    What if an owner does not possess the necessarily experience to keep a game properly running?
    A pinball machine that does not work is a 300 lb doorstop.
    Maintaining warehouses of pinball machines for "investments" is foolhardy as attempting to get the values assessed for insurance on a market that has never been properly ascertained with any type of licensed appraiser, because the concept simply does not exist in this industry, and I am not sure if it ever will happen due to the niche size even after nearly 90 years of modern pinball.
    There are reasons why only a few long time dealers have remained in business for more than 30 years, not HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS.
    Most close up shop when the market turns and stalls.
    Trust me, if they did not enjoy what they were doing, there are much better ways to generate higher profit margins.
    Being that pinball machines are luxuries, when the economy turns, the ability to easily sell at inflated prices, goes away until the next (potential) revival. In 2006, pinball was near death (again).

Personally, I "beat the stock market" by continuing to investing early on things that are much more predictable than pinball, completing a military career, making good thought out decisions, along with buying pinball machines as opportunities arise along the way.
    Every time a person is buying a game out of the concept of "investment", you are taking some fun out of the hobby.
    The best part of the hobby is the "hunt", "history", "art", and "restoration", if you stick around long enough.

Keep flipping and play more pinball.

#614 7 years ago

I have nothing against new collectors.

I continue to assist many proteges for technical, purchasing, or collection reasons.
    The issue with the concept of "investment" is that feeds unnecessary inflationary cost of machines, and reinforces manufacturer advertising.

It promotes misunderstanding by new owners, not directed to operators.
    Many new owners really don't know what games are actually worth realistically.
    This is extremely detrimental to the long term health of the hobby.
    It happened the last time at the end of 2005 and early 2006, and the market stalled.

It also promotes the concept that machines are worth more nearly immediately after they are removed from their box (within 6 months) which starts to sound ridiculous in other markets for no logical reason, especially when titles are still being produced.
    This is why the this market is partially off the charts right now, until it calms down again.
    This is completely relevant to THIS THREAD.
    Stern would not have been able to "raise the bar" again with BM66 SLE without this concept in mind for advertising and have pitched since their reintroduction to the market in 2001.
    Way too much history to go into in a single post, because Stern had to switch strategies to survive.
    Recently, Stern is literally "banking" on this concept, and raising the roof with every single release.
    The rest of the manufacturers have to follow suit to different degrees.
    How can you go from a Honda Civic to a low end Ferrari in terms of % increase of price and the quality continues to decrease or features remain unremarkable in terms of comparison?
    Part of the problem is price speculation as an "investment".
    The other is Stern has to market out the "speculation" so they acquire the flipping profit % increase.

Does anyone believe that the "preorder resale resales" did not occur out of at least some aspect of term "investment"?
    Of course they did.
    That is why people made preorders and then "flipped" the prior to delivery or even construction, which they never even owned the game.
    What was the ultimate result?
    Game price was increased IMMEDIATELY by $1000-3000 NIB, even though the game has not even left the factory!
    Does this allow the market to be healthy?

Operators clearly know this market is not becoming an type of "investment" if it takes 8-10 years to recoup a purchase, versus the previous standard 3-4 years on average.
    They simply stop buying machines, which they are.
    $10+K for a pinball machine on a route is simply atrocious, except in high end venues, considering technical service and repair required, not just the actual base cost.
    Notice what I just said.
    Cost (or value) is based on initial cost+income benefit+parts+repair to operators.
    It simply does not add up.

Ultimately, this direct term actually hurts private enthusiasts that are looking to get into the hobby.
    That is the current market.
    So...
    It also cause a long term negative impact, and sales reverse as a result, the games simply do not sell and people move on.
    Granted, eventually the market begins to deflate, but not at the same rate as the number of people who decided to "pass".
    I like people to get a fair market value for any machine they are looking to purchase, as they they can own MORE machines.
    I do mean that, because what the fair market may be based on collector interest, age, condition, or title whatever it may actually be, it might be high, or it might be low, but not "just because it's an investment".
    This makes about as much sense as saying Punchy the Clown should be "expensive" because it is "rare".
    People have to read more into my explanations, because it is not exclusive to price or quality, but wording.

In summary, abusing terms such as "investment" lead to a market role reversal, and ultimately large market problems.
    The center does not hold.
    I should own multiple pinball t-shirts that say, "I survived the last pinball market stall from Stern, WMS, Gottlieb, etc."

If a person is a pure operator/dealer/broker/distributor, games are inventory, games are investments to them, and private owners remain enthusiasts unless they have decided to become private investors with a manufacturer.
    I think I should "invest" in Stern today after this discussion!
    There is no way but up right?
    Unfortunately, they are not listed on NASDAQ.
    Damn.
    Hmmm....

If a hobbyist does not agree with me, no problem.
    There is a reason why many countries have free speech in their constitution.

1 week later
    #728 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i'm really concerned about sterns lack of stocking parts for their current machines. my metal ball guide for the left/center ramp broke on my GOT pro and stern told me they didn't have any replacements, that they would "fabricate one or come up with something." So what happens in 10+ years when we need parts for stern machines? they aren't having replacements made?

Private owners need to recognize these facets, I have been trying to educate upon for some time.
    Stern does not make game specific parts for games older than 5 years, unless rerun (such as LOTR LE) or remain in production, which no modern game has reached yet (MET is still moving along...)
    Most NOS factory stock is dried up before 10 years, dependent on the actual production run size.
    "When the parts are gone, they are gone."

Go try and find parts of a RCT, or even a BBH that was made in 2010.
    You will not be happy with the answer, that you already anticipate what it will be overall.
    Relying on manufacturers or even secondary aftermarket suppliers to provide parts is a gamble.
    Why?
    Stern DOES NOT WANT games to work "forever", they want people to buy NEW GAMES.
    I know that may sound stupid from a game designed in 2015 (GoT), but the mindset remains unchanged.
    I don't make the Stern rules.
    It makes no sense for them NOT to have the part you need as the game is still in production!

The best option is to learn how to "bulletproof" games, by scrutinizing Achilles heels, repair expertise, acquiring additional NOS parts from collectors and third parties, and getting a good example up front.

I am not turding on collectors or Stern, as it was said in another thread, "its just business."
    It it does not make enough money, they won't make extra parts.

#730 7 years ago

Regarding Gary Stern's interview in Florida at the operator venue:

Please try and understand his audience at the time.
    He wants to give "hope" to operators, even though the market and tide has turned.
    This is not the first time this has been discussed.
    The only true venues that are commercially viable are "hot pockets" in certain parts of the US and world.
    Right now that means Chicago, Seattle, Portland, NYC, and certain parts of CA.
    Market sales abroad are seriously slumping due to overall NIB costs, and the fact that private sales are not anywhere as high in the United States.
    Stern is not focused on operators, keeping pinball affordable to operators, or any of that discussion.
    They would not have price jumped games an average of $500 every 6 months for the past 5 years, if this was the case.

Only one game out of FOUR released this ENTIRE YEAR was focused at operators, GB.
    That is 25% of all produced games.
    This does not seem operator focused from my perspective.
    GoT was a 2015 title rerun, along with anything else in small batches they decide to do, most of which was premium not pro models.

Pabst - NO
    BM66 - NO
    SMVE - NO
    GB - YES

The future of pro models after the next couple of years is questionable, especially if they are successfully able to provide another home model to consumers. I think they will be completely gone within two years. Operators need to step up to a Premium (which is becoming the new pro at the current time) or move on.
    What are operators doing?
    Many operators are already moving on and thumbing their noses at Stern (as operators thumbed noses at WMS over 20 years ago), holding their existing stock, as pinball is neither profitable, monetarily feasible, or selling off what they already own.

Gary Stern has a tendency to "flip back and forth" based on where and when he is talking at different venues to generate a market "perspective".
    There is a muddling with good justification based on what needs to occur in the industry as a whole.

Many operators are fairly new to the game, meaning less than 10-15 years, and jumped onto the train during the latest resurgence (last 6 years), or decided to dabble back in the world of pinball to diversify their machine stock. They certainly are interested in the opinion of the controlling entity of the industry. This was evident based on the nature of the questions, which leaned towards people that were private owners more than operators anyway. History development question about Lazer Wars and QuickSilver? (Price of tea in China please?) This is not an operator type of question, and is inconsequential to an operator. Another question was asked regarding released of a BM66 "operator version", which Gary clearly stated this was not the targeted market.

But anyway, here is the crux.

Stern changed their market focus and tactics back all the way back in 2006 to the home market (perhaps closer to 2005, but the effects were seen in 2006), when Gary was forced by his investors and certain levels of production were wrested away from this control due to his unwillingness to accept certain points of change, meaning private owners are the primary market, not the other way around.
    Essentially he is an extensive shareholder and figurehead of the company now, not the decisive factor on how and what games get made.
    I am not dismissing his direct influence in the company or industry, however.
    This was done in order to prevent the company from losing more income based on decreased sales and moving towards bankruptcy.
    Designers were open with their comments back then, and many levels of detail can still be found on the internet.
    Board room meetings are not posted videos on Youtube, based on decisions.
    It was the birth of the "LE" a year later with SMB.
    It was a rerun push period of successful "savior titles" such as TSPP, LOTR, and even HD.
    They cannot say that the operator remains the driving force of the market (even at 50% which is different response from the previous 30% reported, when he stated 70% of the market was home use which was targeted at the private owner audience), because it is not at the present time, and has not been the case since the early 2000s.
    He just "adjusts" his discussion temperance dependent on whomever is talking to at the moment.
    He did not do that at the Expo 30th Anniversary party as that was directed at consumers.

The true reality:
    He keeps trying to sell ice water to thirsty camels with no cash because camels do not have pockets.
    Maybe if they were kangaroos instead...

Jokes aside, I got into a serious argument with somebody a while back that did not have all the history and seeing what was going on behind the scenes in the early 2000s.
    Public declarations are not realities, it is part of the industry "smoke and mirrors" for advertisement, sales, and profit.
    This friendly interview is an extension of the industry concepts.
    Gary is never going to tell fledging operators, "we are not supporting you, it simply is not profitable anymore."
    It is like telling private owners, "Hey, we know this game design is a complete dud with incomplete code, and non working features but we want you to pay full retail anyway."
    Gary did admit to the nature of if a game is dud, it can have dire consequences to a company, and he is speaking from direct experience of the past. Simply, half truths with not all facts together at the same time to make a positive point.

Gary directly mentioned in the video, he is out of touch with the themes and what people want to play.
    Although directed as a joke, he was being truthful and accurate of game production control which was appreciated.

People should note very closely what he talking about regarding "proper retail outlets to buy pinball machines".
    Those actually already EXIST in small numbers all over the country, but that is NOT what he was referring to overall.
    He tipped his hand.
    BM66 LE and SLE was sold DIRECTLY to consumers as another part of a test market, anyway, as a big "$#@! you" to distributors.
    He was indirectly talking in his discussion about the Stern Store concept (untested and potentially developed in 2017), and squeezing out the middleman distributors that he says are predominantly selling to operators???, which is untrue.
    By having private stores, Stern increases profit margins again, couple with existing reduction of features, and increasing prices.
    That should make distributors perk their ears up.
    They are not going to have a "coupon day" at the Stern Stores, nor will they reduce prices to increase the consumer market.
    The pinball market is still too damn small.

He also talked about "The Pin" indirectly with Costco (test market), watch this closely in the future, wherever they may choose to test sell "The Pin v2.0". I don't think it will be Best Buy or Sears, but perhaps WalMart would be a better choice, if sales could be negotiated, SM game is ready, and the market is prepared for this "lower cost home consumer quality game" (ie the pro of the future).
    There is a lot of relevancy regarding the future of this industry in his latest "fireside chat".
    Gary Stern is once again mixing realities with concepts for sales, advertising, and income for the benefit of the company.

Distributors are selling the vast majority to private owners, and any of them will state this aspect clearly.
    Pick one of choice, any of the largest ones, not "mom and pop" dealers.
    How does this help operators?
    Not a whole lot, unless every private owner buying machines for their home is excited to play location games as well based on enthusiasm.
    The realities are, many are buying these games so they DON'T have to go out on location to play, or never cared to do in the first place.
    I don't go to barcades to play games I own in my house.
    I might go for a tournament or with friends, but generally we end up going to each other's homes.
    That is the advantage of a "private collection owner".

NOTE:
    BTW, I completely agree that STLE was the last true limited edition game with substantial effort being placed in making the game unique.
    Now, it's decals (including the "backglass"), different recycled side armor, and reduced basic features. All for $3000 more than what was being sold less than a couple of years ago. Nobody is going to tell me that any SPIKE game has more features than a SAM equivalent game, because that is is a bunch of crap.

Stern Store 2 (resized).jpgStern Store 2 (resized).jpg

#744 7 years ago
    Quoted from damageinc55:

Welp, looks like I'm banned from the stern facebook page. IIRC, I said something to the effect of "I wish you did a random drawing for Super LE's instead of the the application so regular joes had a shot at it".
    Unbelievable. I guess it's a right of passage at this point in the hobby. As a digital marketing professional, I can verify that their management of social media is laughable. I was considering a GB Prem but their continued alienation and disrespect for their customers is unbelievable.

Don't feel bad many collectors have been banned anywhere between 1-2 years ago, since they ramped up their Facebook as a sales marketing advertisement medium.
    True comment, most everybody I know cannot post, even if they asked a simple question for explanation.
    The rest simply do not care.
    Stern does not like questions of any type publically, even if completely legitimate, unless accompanies a "happy ending" review.
    Any type of quality control/assurance aspects need to be dealt with "in the dark".
    They are not gaining any ground with anyone that has been around awhile, or understand some of the "glowing history" from the 2000s.
    It simply the company policy to block any type different perspective.
    I hope they are ready for eventual backlash when the good times fade, because the the current fad will not last forever.

#746 7 years ago

Brand new Stern premium product just in time for Christmas!
    Adds more fun to a new pinball machine experience.
    Multiple functionality use.
    Can be installed in any home.
    Unique "retro" pinball design!

Available for deposit at http://costore.com/sternpinball/welcome.asp
    Extra paper rolls are not included, but are available for an additional $10 per roll.
    Future designs for game specific titles like GB, MET, SMVE, and BM66 with color matching designs forthcoming.

Perfect holiday gift for the new owner/collector who has everything.
    Modification kit is included for pinball leg installation, if required.
    Easy to install/understand instructions for use.

LED mount Limited Edition version is under design, and expected to be released by Thanksgiving, but may be delayed due to enhanced installation code instructions required for Stern SPIKE machines.
    SLE version will include a signed roll by Gary Stern, numbered certificate of authenticity is included that he actually used the roll at the Stern factory prior to shipping. A truly unique limited edition item that should not be overlooked by the discriminating new serious pinball collector.

Disclaimer and product notes:
    - Application process required prior to acceptance of any sale of LE/SLE product
    - Non-refundable deposit required, see website for specific details
    - Final price TBD, based on consumer interest
    - Product offered as a Stern exclusive, and will not be available by distributors
    - Owner must be willing to sign a release statement that this device will only be installed in their home for private use, not a public restroom
    - Required tracking device installed at the factory, removal of such device voids ability to purchase any future items from the Stern Store, Facebook, or use of Stern customer service technical support
    - Stern reserves the right to increase production numbers and price at any time and without notice including LE and SLE variations
    - Stern will not be liable for any misuse, visual product differences as described, or inability to ship product as projected
    - Limit one dispenser per customer, however extra rolls are unlimited for purchase and are recommended under conditions for extended use.

Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpgStern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.