(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

IMO the price is not as big an issue for me its the other things we've said, lack of code. I could go along with the price if Stern was doing something to justify the price rather than strip out as much basic features as possible.
    Am I spoiled to expect excellent code for multi thousand dollar new pins? Stern has made Tspp and LOTR and JJP apparently knocked it out of the park with Woz so it is possible to code a game properly. Heck even recent Stern (some) are outstanding but it's totally hit or miss and to me Code is the key. It's like a billion dollar rocket sent to Mars is useless if they put in the wrong coordinates. Same thing when XM shipped basic score keeping was absent, the update had so many bugs one of which was every shot would lead to Wolveriene call out. I mean what is that? Is this amature hour? Are we expected to be the lab rats and pay for on the job training of people that can't code their way out of a paper bag?
    XM took *TWO* years to get a working code, and even then the code was acceptable but not great. Numerous issues with games that need to be ajusted or jury rigged by the home users. TAV (hulk). XM (Wolverne figurine). GOT (orbit issues). Metallica coffin lock issues.
    heck even they can't get drop targets to work properly out of the box. Instead of fixing later runs they'll just offer a service bulletin.
    I'm sure there are many other issues too numerous to go into.
    Code with bugs (that are noted and not addressed)
    Getting to Batman, Stern has released a picture of the PF with ramp flap extending over the artwork. It's just preposterous. If this was a third grade art project I'd say ok but this is a multimillion dollar corporation for a game costing as much as a small car. Also while a $4700 pin like ST pro can have 6-7 color changing inserts (while the premium has dozens of color changing inserts) that's acceptable to me. But when Batman premium now costs as much as STLE and Batman LE costs almost $2000 more than GOT LE which also has full color inserts yet premium, LE and SLE apparently have all of 6 color changing inserts. That's to me utter crap.
    I'd suggest Stern start with a suggestion box and not just that but actually look at the suggestions and do something substantial regarding those suggestions. Stop being so arrogant like charging for their birthday bash and by cutting off Pinball Naews if they happen to question the pricing practices or by raising the number of SLE although if it was up to common sense not a one of these would have sold, NOT A ONE.
    There's as old saying: say Pride goes before the fall.

This is my biggest problem with Stern's pricing increases.

STLE was a $7500 machine that clearly had some awesome LE features like the star field laser trick, LED lit armor, stainless speaker/DMD panel, LED flashes for backglass and head, etc etc.

Now they charge thousands more and give you even less then some premium offerings!

At least with something like cars and motorcycles that have gone up in price, you also get more value- better technology, features, safety, warranty, etc. The buyer gets more while also paying more. Yes, the cargument makes sense as people compare automobile pricing to inflation. That seems to be the reasoning for pinball prices going up, right? Because inflation? If it's not because of that, it's just pure greed and that's it.

Not only has Stern jacked the price up, now they are experimenting the direct-to-consumer sales tactic with BM66SLE.

So, here is how 'carguments' are relative and Stern is proud of it:

Ford releases application for 'opportunity' to purchase limited production run of 2017 Ford GT

Stern releases application for 'opportunity' to purchase limited production run of BM66 SLE

Tesla sales direct to customers, eliminating dealer model

Stern now experimenting with direct to consumer sales, potentially eliminating dealer model

I'm sure there are other comparisons. Fact is, there's a significant move being made to inflate the bottom line at Stern in what I think is a way to balloon the valuation before a potential sale at what appears to be "peak-pinball" IMO.

At the end of the day, I truly think Stern has tried to move too fast and too far for their own good, and it may bite them right on the ass in 2017.

#217 7 years ago

I love the McDonalds comparison to Stern!

In fact, last year McDonalds revenue plunged year-over-year due to mediocre food priced way too high:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/investing/mcdonalds-earnings-sales-down/

This is what can happen to Stern too.. maybe they need to see what happened with McDonald's.. they thought people would keep lining up in the drive thru's paying top dollar for shit food.. then customers went elsewhere, and it reflected on their earnings.

#218 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Steak, egg, and cheese bagel, substitute round ( real) egg, no onions, add BACON, white cheddar cheese...every other day....EVERY other day...killer...

Do you call that the heart attack sandwich?

#232 7 years ago

Here is what my $8K got me with Stern... which some can see why I find it hilarious they are raising prices, yet who knows when I'll get a replacement playfield or if the issues have been fixed. Was playing GB LE last night, and more of my playfield or some piece of the machine broke off again and stopped in the shooter lane that I had to remove the glass to take the piece out. It's becoming a pretty common thing to see pieces of playfield scattered around lol. Notice the bare wood and lack of clear coat in the shooter lane too? Sorry, have to laugh that after this their solution was to jack up prices for their products.

IMG_3028 (resized).JPGIMG_3028 (resized).JPG

#298 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Wow! 130 upvotes for a single post. Is that a record?

Nope check out this post about Dialed In!

Record upvotes for anti-Stern post
    Record upvotes for pro-JJP post

Interesting!

2016-11-03_1608 (resized).png2016-11-03_1608 (resized).png

#374 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAlley:

Lol. That Hurricane is a ground up restoration and is stunning. Brand new playfield, plastics, ramps, displays, LED's, Legs , protectors, new motor, Rottendog MPU, New flippers from the coil right on up to the rubber around the flipper. I could go on. It doesn't matter as the game sold to a collector on Thursday. As far as my customers, I have to tell you that they are the real money demographics. They want machines that look nice and play nice and all they have to do is press the start button. They want a one year warranty on new pinballs and six months on used. These are the folks putting deposits on Batman 66 without blinking an eye. Every month there are more and more of then. They are polite, they seldom haggle, end up buying six to eight pinballs and tip my delivery people. They are very good customers. They are the segment Stern is trying to add. From a business standpoint it makes tons of sense. The thing I don't get is all the negativity. There is so much going on at this moment that if a pinball guy cannot find something to make himself happy then it doesn't exist. What are we looking at? Ten plus new pinball releases in the industry? That is crazy, I am trying to remember when we ever saw it. Maybe the early nineties? On top of it, these games are so nice, seeing guys like Lawlor and Gomez all excited about their new releases gets me going. If you can't find a spot to be happy in our hobby I am not sure you will ever get there. My grandfather used to say "If strawberries give you a rash don't eat them." I like what's going on and I feel like a kid at Christmas. I can barely wait to see what is coming next! I put up a billboard yesterday and that has me a jazzed up too. I really do love this industry.

Nice billboard dude! I wish you the best with your business.

This PinballAlley guy is a nice dude. Back when I initially had playfield issues with my GBLE and wasn't getting any responses from my dealer or Stern, he PM'd me his personal cell phone number and offered to help assist me and work with Stern to get a new playfield. Keep in mind I've never spent a dollar with him or his business.

I ended up not taking him on that friendly offer as Gary Stern called me and then talked to my dealer and apparently things are still in process.

Sorry if it's a subject change but this guy is a pretty cool cat, just my $0.02

#390 7 years ago

If I was a distributor for Stern right now.. I would be a bit worried that sales may have peaked this year and that 2017 might be a wild ride. At these prices and obvious customer satisfaction concerns, 2017 might be interesting for NIB sales in general. So many people are putting their money in the used market instead of NIB right now it's crazy.

#392 7 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I wonder how much higher used prices will go in 2017 with these NIB price increases.

I honestly don't think they will be affected, other then stabilizing them. Most people have a set price in their heads on what they are willing to pay, and it seems pretty tapped out - in my opinion. If used prices sky rocket, it would be very bad for the hobby all around.

#430 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

as a hobbit owner, it's a great game and Iove it. But I don't feel the coders finished. There's not even a final wizard mode yet. And if the code is finished, then it's a big disappointment in my opinion.

The final wizard mode is Battle of the Five Armies right? That seems hard as hell to get to, not even sure what could come after that.. the code is already pretty deep as it is.

#450 7 years ago

I'll tell you what's worse then the pinball code debacle, is the video game industry. It's complete bullshit now. Developers release a pretty half-ass "complete" game for $59.99 and literally 3 weeks later they release a $24.99 "expansion pack" and other downloadable content. Example Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox One... it barely comes with any cars, and they make you buy "car packs" for $4.99 and have more expansion packs ready to go. These bastards literally had all this content programmed at the same time the game was released, but they withhold it to sell it to you later.

The day the pinball industry starts doing this is the day I vow to never buy a new game again. Imagine if Stern released some basic code then charged you for more wizard modes and features? They may actually be experimenting with this with the cross the beams parts originally planned for GB but later decided against it. Don't get me started with the $400 Colorization SOFTWARE upgrade for MMr too. That's total BS.

At the end of the day, all we can hope for is Stern does what's right and continues to finish the games as much as possible. With the current crap code for GB with glitches, bugs, freezes, missing modes etc. you are taking a big risk buying any new release NIB at this point, since Stern's new biz model is to crank out new titles as fast as possible and overwork their current coding staff. I don't care how great they are, if you put too much shit on their plate it will be impossible to keep putting out quality work.

#474 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

What's the TWD skillshot bug?
    ST has many quirky glitches and bugs. But if you're referring to the wizard mode bug, if I remember correctly, if you play each mission tier 1&2 starting at prime directive and moving around the grid clockwise it won't start enterprise amok on the final tier 2 mission. So it's not likely to happen, but it is there.

I am thinking it's the Woodbury skillshot bug.. it literally requires no skill.

What you do is keep pressing the right flipper until you pick the exact bonus you want and light the upper rollover lane. The lane will stop there, and then you just cycle through the bonus awards.. then hit the crossbar button and launch the ball, 9/10 times it goes right into the lane and you get whatever award you wanted. It pretty much defeats the entire purpose- what its supposed to do is keep cycling the lights instead of getting stuck at the last rollover lane. Hard to explain, but its definitely a bug.

#479 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I had that occur from time to time when I first got my TWD, i fixed it by opening the gap on the prison walker switch. If that switch isn't gapped right, itll cause all sorts of weird issues, especially with the xbow. Gapped that switch and never saw that issue again for the remainder of its life at my home.

Yep! Same here.. works perfect now

#481 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Explain please. Now I'm intrigued

I am not sure, it just doesn't have any issues since changing the switch on the prison head. Maybe make a video of what you are describing?

#486 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's not a bug. Both the award and which "target" you're aiming for are selectable, then you plunge to hit your selected "target". It's not stuck at the last rollover, use your left flipper to move it back.
    If you want to argue the lockdown bar button launch should be disabled for the skillshot and Woodbury I think I'm onboard with that.

Yeah, I guess I can see that then. I just find it pointless to aim for another target when you can just go to the rollover lane, select any award you want, and hit the lockdown bar button and get it pretty much every single time.

#489 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

My TWD was pretty random on the top right/left lanes so i usually went for the 2nd rollover switch when it was for a lucrative reward.

Your TWD was defective then! What a piece of shit!

kidding bro

#491 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

why do you think i sold it, thing just kept draining on me! just messing
    Unsuccessfully saving up for pin#3 now and TWD is one on the list

hahaha

TWD is a good one for sure.. just get those training wheel outlane extenders

#548 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Thanks SKB & KPG!
    Donation to Pinside en route for your assistance
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-skillshot#post-3440522

Awesome man!!

#572 7 years ago

Went on a tour at the Stern factory recently, here's a current pic of their thriving coding department.

IMG_3054 (resized).JPGIMG_3054 (resized).JPG

#687 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

They haven't "released" BM66. It has only been "revealed". Big difference.

..... Has Dialed In been "revealed" or "released" at this point?

Funny, they had a shitload of DI's that were fully playable and won't be released until next year sometime, and BM66 sat there collecting dust when it's supposed to be shipping this month.

Go figure

#691 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Dialed In has only been revealed. It has not yet been released.

That was my point. Obviously. Fully playable and only revealed, just like BM66.. except BM66 wasn't playable.......

#767 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I wonder how a 15% corporate tax rate and lower Health care costs with the repeal of Obamacare will impact Stern's decision making in the future.
    Maybe more upgrades and features passed back down to us consumers!

Maybe we'll get an American History X pinball machine with call outs by Edward Norton.. Curb Stomp multiball would be interesting

Added over 7 years ago:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them?tu=kpg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.