(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

I am definitely not *done* with Stern, however, I think I am done with NIB Stern

I feel the same, it doesn't help that here in the Great White North ur looking min 7500 for a pro and pre/le prices well do the math, luckily for me 90% of the themes from all manufacturers combined fall flat and then another 5% seem just OK so I don't care but if Stern releases a must have then I would suck it up, I will say I would rather buy 1 expensive must have NIB every couple years than many mediocre ones, those I'll wait and pick up used years down the line or play on site. The one good thing is with these price increases I've developed a new found love for buying cheap run down pins and restoring them, I think thats what this hobby is all about.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Old BW and new JJP games feel much more smooth than new Sterns, in my view. It seems like without massive tinkering on most of their new machines, you'll suffer an awful lot of bad feeds, balls getting stuck, catching air, rejects, targets not working etc etc. Some of their themes and layouts might be really fun, but Stern feel like the Data East to Bally Williams (or JJP today).

Nah, Stern pins are the current top of the heap for gameplay anyway, I like the 90's DMD's too but they are pretty easy for the most part and while JJP has excellent quality I haven't found either of there pins very fun JMO mind you so take it easy, Stern even with the quality issues and "build quality" which I've found to be just fine and dandy is still king.

#362 7 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Pardon??!!!
    This statement is a little hard to take.
    Spooky, JJP, and Heighway shipped near code complete games!!?? Ummm... nope. I haven't owned a Heighway machine yet, but my WOZ took ages to become fun, and same with Hobbit. My AMH is now amazing, but it became code complete a few months ago. Again, I have NO PROBLEM with that. It's part of the process, but to suggest only Stern is shipping games in need of code is ludicrous.

Not to mention 1 pin every 3 to 4 years and 3 or 4 pins every year so JJP and Heighway etc. should be done and they still aren't fully complete.

#459 7 years ago

Like video games I like to wait a year or so before buying anything with the exception of a dream theme where I want the LE and even then ur better off to wait, let them finish the code, let them work out the PF bugs/issues, let someone else mod it out.

1 week later
    #670 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

All that said, I am still done with buying any Stern pin until the code is complete.

Me too, it would be hard if it was a dream theme but then who cares cause I would be keeping it anyway, I wish I had waited with TWD, buying a pre a year or so after release would have been a much better choice than an LE at launch, live and learn.

#674 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Didn't they say that there would be no premium initially?

exactly, wait a year or more and sometimes other version come out, the fixes are done, the code is complete, someone else has modded and you get a great pin for basically the same money or less.

#678 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They got my ass, but I can assure you they won't fool me twice.

That pin was the turning point for me as well, STLE even though the code wasn't complete looked like an LE and TWD just disappointed me first in cosmetics then the difference in gameplay from initial code to a year later while great took too long, I didn't care that they announced a Pre version but I wouldn't buy a Stern now for at least a year after release.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them?tu=hazoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.