(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guinnesstime.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 7 years ago

Price and play field issues will prevent me from buying any NIB for years.

I also won't pick up anything made in 2015 on.

Gary tried to downplay the whole situation by basically saying "some people have said they had play field concerns, but the formula has been the same, blah blah."

It's a known issue. They won't address it. New stuff still has it. It takes 3 months sometimes to manifest itself.

No way I'd buy a new Stern. I have 5 older ones and they're all great. (Yes even Wrestlemania )

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

This hobby is a dick measuring contest.

I win both. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#156 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

The hate storm toward Stern has been brewing for a while. Is the $15k machine you have to get on your knees and beg for Gary's blessing to be able to purchase what finally pushes things to an adjustment point?

Look, it's a small community. It's not a huge hobby. There is a Goliath and a handful of small volume producers. It's recovering and there is interest from younger people (thanks to Pinball Arcade for example) but the entire problem is Stern's attitude.

I never bought a Stern NIB but many of you did. You supported Stern. The lean times indeed were very lean. Now what? You still support Stern and Stern spits on you. They not only spit in your face as a thanks for your business but go so far as having you beg for the permission for them to do so.

Pinball is fun. Right? Right. Show appreciation toward your customers. Support the community. Bring people together. Stern has gone Hollywood and doesn't give a flying F about anything other than the bottom line. That is what is rubbing so many people the wrong way.
    Why can't Stern and their fans have a solid, mutually beneficial relationship that is not based on getting fleeced? Why is Stern so insecure that they ban people from their events who do not report things the way they want things reported? It's insane.

The pricing we can all deal with as it will adjust on its own. The sheer greed and arrogance is something else is entirely. I hope they fall and fall hard. The competition is getting better even if Stern can't see it over the piles of cash they are making love to at the moment.

The distributor model isolates them from actual buyers. They like it that way. They KEEP it that way. Now they regulate all pricing.

They have distros by the nuggets.

A distributor preorders 20 TFLEs. The game disappoints. They have to sell inventory at a loss eventually.

Next preorder, they try to order 10. Stern says "You want to order LESS? OK, we can give you 5." Distro needs to rep to 20 regardless of title then.

You remove that layer where they need to deal with people and the attitude changes. This won't happen BTW.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Some buyers don't think it's that important to play the game because Gomez and Lyman are the designers so it has to be good.
    One thing I don't understand, weren't Gomez and Lyman the designers on BDK? If BDK isn't that well regarded, what makes BM66 a slam dunk?

It's much more $$$ so it HAS to be better!

#261 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

KISS code abandoned
    GOT code abandoned
    ST code abandoned
    XMEN code abandoned
    GB code (soon to be) abandoned
    2016 playfields disintegrating before owners' eyes.
    How many more red flags do you guys need before accepting sterns pinflation???

You abandoned the fact that KISS was abandoned too.

#420 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

My AC/DC premium has never seen the sort of dimpling that Ghostbusters has. Same goes for my SM, Tron, Iron Man, or TSPP. My LOTR never dimpled so noticeably either. I think there was just a bad run of playfields that was full of soft wood or clearcoat. Hopefully that has passed.

Yeah I know I posted something about Ghostbusters having dimples and was told "all have dimples!" I've never seen them to that extent on my other pens like Ghostbusters and I have five Sterns right now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guinnesstime.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them?tu=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.