(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 767 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.
    #751 7 years ago

That Gary Stern does not feel the heat breathing down his neck from Heighwey, J.J.P and a few others who have shown they are now seriously in the competition is beyond understanding.. Whatever market lead they recently had with total monopoly short post y 2000 is being eaten up, and fast... The actions taken to do something about it and increase the lead again cannot be considered anything else but self-sabotage. I decided long ago thanks to all horror stories presented, never ever to purchase a NIB Stern machine with their current attitude towards the private home-owners..... Of course the competition is here smiling when reading the negative feedback and taking notes what not to do to accumuluate a possible flying sh*t storm against themselves in the future... A fully service minded company that wants to stay in longterm don't need notes though as it should be well embedded in the management gene-pool, well cemented by now that focus is to keep the HUO dudes happier than ever as it will be vital. Somehow Stern thinks it's still 2003...

#752 7 years ago

Star Wars should be priced at $15,000 and not Batman. Duh.

#753 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

I hope stern is reading this thread. I just bought three more pins not one was a Stern.

That's your choice. Enjoy your three machines. But what's your point? Stern has plenty of others, with deeper wallets, willing to buy their pins.

Unknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpeg

#754 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

...and replace it with nothing? They don't get to keep that money. They have to keep the route stocked. That cost has to go into the next machine, which costs more than the previous one did, so there's an additional $250-$500 in cost to absorb depending on whether they change the game yearly or every other year.

Dude they don't have to sell the machine. If it's still making money then keep it in there. If it's not sell it and recoup your investment - which can be done. What to put in there upon selling? Who cares? What was there before buying the machine? That has nothing to do with break even. The break even point is not the entire price of the game new. That's super silly. If you pay $5000 for spending that's worth $4500 now, your break even point is $500 not $5000.

#755 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

That's your choice. Enjoy your three machines. But what's your point? Stern has plenty of others, with deeper wallets, willing to buy their pins.

My point is that I was a diehard Stern fanboy and if their actions can change me then there are likely others who are rethinking buying new Sterns. If they keep up their actions (poor quality control, raising prices, etc) then eventually they will loose enough customers that it will start hurting.

#756 7 years ago

stern are doing great, giving people what they want. people complain about the quality of the machines and if you take out the play field issue (which I agree is very bad) but will be sorted I don't see much difference between any of the manufacturers. JJP had the light board disaster, Highway - I don't think I've seen their machine actually on and working in the two places that have had them here in the UK. Whereas Stern's machines are flying off the shelves. Everyone is whinging about one special boutique title, Batman66, which nobody has played yet so for all we know could be worth twice its value. Ghostbusters is the best machine for years and Stern haven't had to do any more titles this year because its so good. I think Gary and co are good guys who are trying to make a living in a very difficult segment.

#757 7 years ago
    Quoted from Flippermatt:

That Gary Stern does not feel the heat breathing down his neck from Heighwey, J.J.P and a few others who have shown they are now seriously in the competition is beyond understanding.. Whatever market lead they recently had with total monopoly short post y 2000 is being eaten up, and fast... The actions taken to do something about it and increase the lead again cannot be considered anything else but self-sabotage. I decided long ago thanks to all horror stories presented, never ever to purchase a NIB Stern machine with their current attitude towards the private home-owners..... Of course the competition is here smiling when reading the negative feedback and taking notes what not to do to accumuluate a possible flying sh*t storm against themselves in the future... A fully service minded company that wants to stay in longterm don't need notes though as it should be well embedded in the management gene-pool, well cemented by now that focus is to keep the HUO dudes happier than ever as it will be vital. Somehow Stern thinks it's still 2003...

Competition you say JJP announced WOZ in Jan 2011 Highway announced Full Throttle 2012 three games in six years competition I don't think so

#758 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Ghostbusters is the best machine for years and Stern haven't had to do any more titles this year because its so good

You sure about that? beyond the playfield issues:
    slimer mech doesn't work out of the box for most
    switch on ramp doesn't always register
    left scoop can bend back and short against flasher, causing board damage (there's already a service bulletin)
    Inlane walls are too short so you have ball hop unless you add aftermarket plastics

As a game being fully packed with features and great art sure, but not without it's issues.

#759 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Competition you say JJP announced WOZ in Jan 2011 Highway announced Full Throttle 2012 three games in six years competition I don't think so

Theres only so many pinball dollars to go around, especially at todays crazy NIB prices.

JJP I think has estimated to have sold 3000 WOZ's. Let say that 2000 Hobbit have been sold as well. Now take 5000 x $7500 as a conservative estimate between all models. Thats over $37 million in sales that didn't go towards a Stern game instead. Thats competition.

#760 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

JJP announced WOZ in Jan 2011 Highway announced Full Throttle 2012 three games in six years competition I don't think so

you're forgetting hobbit, dialed in and aliens, so 6 actually. Plus every new startup company takes time to ramp up (generate base code framework, source parts, generate CAD models, build a factory, etc etc). You think Stern started out of the gate making 10k pinballs a year? No, Depending on where you want to start in the stern electronics history:

They started out making conversion kit playfields for existing early 80's bally / stern pinballs (PINSTAR) in their basement

If you go by the start of data east, then it's laser war (which sold roughly 2600 games), and most of the parts were borrowed from a williams road kings (not from scratch) with far less complexity than today's pinballs.

#761 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Star Wars should be priced at $15,000 and not Batman. Duh.

Don't joke, I already had the thought that Stern might try their luck with SW and sell it as another one of these "limited collectors" priced games like BM66, although with the possibly a pro as added to the line, as Id imagine if there was one theme ops would want out on route that could bring in some serious coin its SW.

#762 7 years ago

I got back into pinball because of Woz. Paid $6500 for a WOZECLE.

Subsequently, I've purchased a LOTRLE, AC/DCPRE, TWDLE, GBLE and now BM66LE from Stern. About $37,000

Maybe Stern owes JJP some kind of royalty.

GBLE is a phenomenal pin. Love my Stern purchases. I like Woz too.

#763 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Subsequently, I've purchased a LOTRLE, AC/DCPRE, TWDLE, GBLE and now BM66LE from Stern. About $37,000
    GBLE is a phenomenal pin. Love my Stern purchases.

That's a kick ass collection Iceman and those are all amazing pins, good choices my man

I think the whole anger towards BM66 and Stern has washed over the fact that "a lot" of us love Sterns games, yeah they make some turds now and then but on the whole they make some damn "fun" games and that's what we all want from pinball, deep rules are nice, nice artwork is easy on the eyes and lightshows and toys are cool, but a pin can have all that and if it isn't fun then its missed the mark.

I think a lot of the anger towards Stern & BM66 is because more people would like to be able to either - 1. afford one or 2. be able to justify buying one.

I am sitting on the fence with my feet dangling over #2, I am trying to justify buying a BM66 mainly because I love the show and at 30 I know none of my other friends are going to jump in on this theme and that crane was awesome in BDK so I am lined up as a buyer and I have had a lot of NIB sterns. It pisses me off too because I know if it was $2k cheaper I would have jumped off the fence with both feet planted and that's why I am sure there are a lot in those 2 camps above.

IMO Sterns biggest issue is not their crazy pricing, its there lack of care or respect for their customers, code is a HUGE area Stern need to improve, if code was better and updates where regular they would probably shift even more in terms of sales numbers which is certainly better for them in the long term yet they seem to be only looking short term which is a shame because as frustrating as Stern can be non of us can possibly want them to go under cause that would just suck for pinball as a whole!

#764 7 years ago

Stern damn near bled out in the 2008 ish general time frame and sold only a few hundred NBA and CSI pins. They're now selling games faster than they can make them, with months long backlogs of orders on several titles. They're also experienced and better positioned to survive the next downturn than anyone else. So, I don't think Stern is losing sleep over the great whine noise coming out of Pinside since their BM66 anniversary boutique game was announced and promptly sold out of LEs and SLEs. Despite the torches and pitchforks in this thread we might even see Star Wars rival AC/DC for their overall sales champion next year.

#765 7 years ago

I had a comp last weekend .... most played game.

daytona (resized).jpgdaytona (resized).jpg

#766 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

you're forgetting hobbit, dialed in and aliens, so 6 actually. Plus every new startup company takes time to ramp up (generate base code framework, source parts, generate CAD models, build a factory, etc etc). You think Stern started out of the gate making 10k pinballs a year? No, Depending on where you want to start in the stern electronics history:
    They started out making conversion kit playfields for existing early 80's bally / stern pinballs (PINSTAR) in their basement
    If you go by the start of data east, then it's laser war (which sold roughly 2600 games), and most of the parts were borrowed from a williams road kings (not from scratch) with far less complexity than today's pinballs.

No I did not forget TH I said 3 games 6 yr as for DI and Aliens they have not shipped . You call 5 & 6 yr a startup I don't think so

#767 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I wonder how a 15% corporate tax rate and lower Health care costs with the repeal of Obamacare will impact Stern's decision making in the future.
    Maybe more upgrades and features passed back down to us consumers!

Maybe we'll get an American History X pinball machine with call outs by Edward Norton.. Curb Stomp multiball would be interesting

Added over 7 years ago:

There are 767 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them/page/16?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.