(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

There are 767 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.
    #451 7 years ago

Lol. It's cool you remember! History does repeat.

#452 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm glad to see you also can appreciate ACDC.

It's a fantastic game, but that doesn't mean that the useless inserts don't perplex me, from a design perspective.

Quoted from Chambahz:

Funny comment you wrote about WoZ though:

What's funny about it? They always seem to be having issues. They would piss me off if I owned one, or if I had a stake in one, but as someone who just loves to play 'em when I find 'em... 10/10.

#453 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Just as boggling as to why there would be these Cannon Fodder, Cannon Volley and Cannon Chaos inserts on a game that doesn't have any code for them! Why not just remove them? Or maybe use it to let the player know how far they have to go until they can load the Cannon.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

Well here's why. The game designer, who is not a good rules designer, designed the game. He chose the inserts. They all have some rules behind them by the way. None of the inserts do nothing.

Then the rules designer who is known as the best rules developer in the industry took it upon himself to go crazy and get creative with the layout and made some awesome rules. Where most game coders would just implement the game features and be done, Lyman actually played the game a ton, bought it for his home, and got ultra creative. He added great features like vip pass. Do you see a vip pass insert? No because the game designer never conceived of it. The result in acdc is a complete, fun game with great wizard mode and a ton of strategy that goes well above and beyond where the game designer planned.

If you want a game that just implemented the game designers original rules, look to a game done by Lonnie such as transformers or avengers. If you want some real creativity and fun rules look towards something Lyman worked on a year after the fact.

Yes anyone complaining about acdc code clearly is impossible to please and should be ignored as the boy who cried wolf.

#454 7 years ago

I understand why people mistake my passion for insanity now.

Quoted from markmon:

Well here's why. The game designer, who is not a good rules designer, designed the game. He chose the inserts. They all have some rules behind them by the way. None of the inserts do nothing.

My naïveté has me thinking that the design of a game would include the rules. You are much more familiar with the inner workings of the pinball industry than I am, however.

Quoted from markmon:

Then the rules designer who is known as the best rules developer in the industry took it upon himself to go crazy and get creative with the layout and made some awesome rules. Where most game coders would just implement the game features and be done, Lyman actually played the game a ton, bought it for his home, and got ultra creative. He added great features like vip pass. Do you see a vip pass insert? No because the game designer never conceived of it. The result in acdc is a complete, fun game with great wizard mode and a ton of strategy that goes well above and beyond where the game designer planned.

This is where I repeat that I gave the game a 10 out of 10 on the Pinside ratings system, for the second time in this thread.

Quoted from markmon:

If you want a game that just implemented the game designers original rules, look to a game done by Lonnie such as transformers or avengers. If you want some real creativity and fun rules look towards something Lyman worked on a year after the fact.

Why doesn't Lyman do the code in the first place?

Quoted from markmon:

Yes anyone complaining about acdc code clearly is impossible to please and should be ignored as the boy who cried wolf.

I'm trying really hard to not return your, uh, passion in kind. Simply put, if you think I'm complaining about AC/DC, you need to have your eyes or reading ability examined.

#455 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Simply put, if you think I'm complaining about AC/DC, you need to have your eyes or reading ability examined.

Uhm, this is a public forum not a private email stream. The word "anyone" actually means "anyone" not "you".

#456 7 years ago

Uhm, your comment came right after mine. Being that this is a public forum, you're hopefully familiar with how a conversation works?

Also,

Quoted from markmon:

"Anyone" doesn't seem particularly vague. And it's also not very conducive to a conversation. On a public forum.

#457 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't CARE, it's their decision! I just don't understand why a pinball manufacturer would put out an incomplete product, other than "because they can".
    I couldn't update Legend of Zelda on my NES, and it was rad.

This is how 99% of businesses work today. They want maximum dollars in the short term. Especially publicly traded companies where things like quarterly and even weekly earnings statements are meticulously analyzed and combed over by money men. You can see this in the entertainment industry where major companies keep merging and being bought out because it drives stock prices through the roof.

- Video game companies cut back already completed levels and characters and then charge consumers for them as add-ons or DLC. There are games that ship with first day purchasable in-game content. You buy a game for full price and then pay extra to play the last level. Or games that ship incomplete and require months of fixing after market. And many games are abandoned and never fixed. The developers' promises become empty. They call these "early access" titles because you're getting the game before it is complete....but they never complete the game or charge extra for the fixes.

- Movies and TV shows have different cuts and extended editions. How many versions of Star Wars will people buy before they get the 'definitive' experience? How long will companies release separate director and theatrical cuts? How many TV shows cut out scenes and then hype them for the Blu-Ray release? Some of the Hobbit and LOTR box sets on Amazon have scathing reviews because they removed features in some of the movie bundles to try to gouge consumers to purchase the other content separately.

- Even cars are stripped of features and then you pay for premium features on top of the base price for things that used to be standard. Or they are just manufactured so poorly that they get mass recalled.

Quoted from kpg:

I'll tell you what's worse then the pinball code debacle, is the video game industry. It's complete bullshit now. Developers release a pretty half-ass "complete" game for $59.99 and literally 3 weeks later they release a $24.99 "expansion pack" and other downloadable content.

Consumers will eat those $50 to $100 charges in video games because it isn't enough of a hit on their wallet. Someone might watch a bad movie at the theater for $10 and not regret it majorly. Someone might get ripped off with an incomplete released video game and burn $60. Those price points aren't at the anger and rage point for gamers it seems. Getting ripped off in small amounts is like the frog and boiling water scenario for some people.

If I buy a video game for $60 and I put 4,000 hours into it and another game for $60 that turns out to be a total ripoff I'm still getting 4,000 hours of fun for $120. So gamers seem to ignore the disappointing games because they know they'll find some gem to give them 1,000s of hours of fun eventually. And gambling on a good or bad game is basically what? $30 to $60 a shot? That's a risk that most seem willing to take because for $60 you might get that strategy, racing, or shooter game that gives you a lifetime's worth of fun.

But things like $5,000 to now $15,000 pinball machines with costing cutting and incomplete code and low quality control are going to have to reach a breaking point if people are gambling on them with pre-orders and huge money down payments. Aren't they? Who can afford to buy all of these incomplete and cost-cut games with abandon? Are there really that many people who can gamble on pinball machines?

But who knows.....maybe casual and mom and pop buyers will keep the market lively with the 'hardcore' pin buyers not being large enough to affect the market at all. After all the incomplete code, cost cutting, terrible PR, disastrous and criminal enterprises (Predator Pinball??), and rising prices I can't believe that there hasn't been more of a dramatic change in the pinball community in the last few years. Like some sort of consumer protection outfit or a group of lawyers organizing something. People seem to be complacent with being even ripped off for non-existent machines so maybe I'll never understand this hobby.

#458 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Dimples on the PF
    Play your pins, have fun and enjoy them, if you get freaked out about PF dimples maybe it isn't for you
    Ideally, you play it so much you wear out the PF, then just buy another one and swap it out
    Wtf, ever seen an older pin with 50k plays on it?
    The whine meter is running at peak levels right now

This is exactly right. Stop whining people. Be thankful that Stern even allows you to purchase their pins. Frankly, why aren't you writing them thank you letters for taking your money?

Whine, whine, whine. That's all you do.

Dimples? Get over it.

Ghosting? Get over it.

Playield issues? Get over it.

Cheap materials? Get over it.

Social media censorship? Get over it.

Deleting posts? Get over it.

$15k machines? Get over it.

No code updates? Get over it.

Shipping unfinished code? Get over it.

Increased costs? Get over it.

Banning reporters from events? Get over it.

Kindly ignore all of this as posting about it is whining and simply bend over and take it. What other choice do you have?

#459 7 years ago

Like video games I like to wait a year or so before buying anything with the exception of a dream theme where I want the LE and even then ur better off to wait, let them finish the code, let them work out the PF bugs/issues, let someone else mod it out.

#460 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If you're complaining about ACDC's code, there must be no joy in your life. A few inserts that don't mean much isn't a big deal in a game that rich with variety and fun. Lyman probably went on a tangent from Steve's original intentions...and it turned into a masterpiece. I will always welcome more updates, but if ACDC is baked....I'm fine with that.

Why do some people feel the need to take someone else's opinion and twist it into something derogatory? I'm here to discuss pinball, good or bad, not insult other board members.

Rob

#461 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The result in acdc is a complete, fun game with great wizard mode and a ton of strategy that goes well above and beyond where the game designer planned.

Yes it's a great game, no denying that. Although, if there's a risk/reward for BIB then I sure would like to know what it is! Honest question.

Quoted from markmon:

Hardly. Since I own the game I think I'm entitled to my opinion whether you agree or not. Why are you so abrasive when you don't agree with someone? It's like their opinion is shit and yours is golden? Agree to disagree, no need to be condescending.

Rob

#462 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

This is exactly right. Stop whining people. Be thankful that Stern even allows you to purchase their pins. Frankly, why aren't you writing them thank you letters for taking your money?
    Whine, whine, whine. That's all you do.
    Dimples? Get over it.
    Ghosting? Get over it.
    Kindly ignore all of this as posting about it is whining and simply bend over and take it. What other choice do you have?

Do I send my Stern thank you letter to the Stern Book kickstarter campaign

#463 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Hardly. Since I own the game I think I'm entitled to my opinion whether you agree or not. Why are you so abrasive when you don't agree with someone? It's like their opinion is shit and yours is golden? Agree to disagree, no need to be condescending.
    Rob

Your complaints aren't the type I was referring to. Instead, I was referring to the typical inclusion of AC/DC into the stern incomplete code rants. As if it would have been better for Lyman to focus on making the most of every insert of the game was a better decision than working on all the great things in the AC/DC code like VIP pass, all the risk / reward etc.

You know if you want to take Steve's vision for the software in the game, it was average and uninventive. This is straight out of the video he made before AC/DC was released. He planned, for example, that for each song to have an area you bash. TNT would be the TNT targets etc. The typical implement the features style of code. Lyman took what's there and did so much more. But that's his job. To then come and complain that AC/DC is incomplete because some inserts dont do enough discounts all Lyman's awesome work on this title.

#464 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

Well, you don't have to buy a pin from Stern. How about that?

Crybaby whiners

#465 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well, you don't have to buy a pin from Stern. How about that?
    Crybaby whiners

Get over it.

#466 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

Dimples? Get over it.
    Ghosting? Get over it.

Sticky, all the above is 100% dead on point. If the above doesn't deter someone from continuing to buy such product,
    they will have to make up their own minds and learn by experience. I think it's time that Stern re-evaluates it's business model. First and
    foremost, finish code on games and show some commitment to your vendors, home owners, distributors and collectors. At least this will
    show some effort. All the quality issues, pricing issues and relationships can be worked out. Something has to give.

#467 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Your complaints aren't the type I was referring to.

And this is a public message board forum! He could be referring to "anyone!"

Instead, I was referring to the typical inclusion of AC/DC into the stern incomplete code rants. As if it would have been better for Lyman to focus on making the most of every insert of the game was a better decision than working on all the great things in the AC/DC code like VIP pass, all the risk / reward etc.

I'm sure I'm just wasting my time asking this, since you didn't feel it worthy of a response the first time, but here goes my two part question:

* why include inserts in a game that is not going to use them
    * why doesn't the person creating the layout with the game work in tandem with the person creating the code?

Quoted from markmon:

You know if you want to take Steve's vision for the software in the game, it was average and uninventive. This is straight out of the video he made before AC/DC was released. He planned, for example, that for each song to have an area you bash. TNT would be the TNT targets etc. The typical implement the features style of code. Lyman took what's there and did so much more. But that's his job. To then come and complain that AC/DC is incomplete because some inserts dont do enough discounts all Lyman's awesome work on this title.

I'm sorry but this line of reasoning completely destroys any type of discussion unless it's the fawning, "they can do no wrong!" type. To complain about inserts that are meaningless does not equate to not loving the game, and unless you're Steve Ritchie or Lyman Sheat's son, you shouldn't take lines of questioning as discounting what they've done, or not liking what they've done, or even taking it personally whatsoever.

#468 7 years ago

Whats the bug in ST?

I have it on my wishlist because the shots feel good.

Brought TWD home 2 weeks ago & although I love the code (X shot especially) almost every other game now I see the skillshot bug.

#469 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm sorry but this line of reasoning completely destroys any type of discussion unless it's the fawning, "they can do no wrong!" type. To complain about inserts that are meaningless does not equate to not loving the game, and unless you're Steve Ritchie or Lyman Sheat's son, you shouldn't take lines of questioning as discounting what they've done, or not liking what they've done, or even taking it personally whatsoever.

Lyman said at their presentation at Replay this year AC/DC would be one PF he wishes they could have redone. They did one stab at the PF and that was it. The discussion was over how the PF should give the player the info they need.. and AC/DC was noted as a letdown in that objective because of the timeframe they had for the game and they only did one shot at the PF.

#470 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Whats the bug in ST?
    I have it on my wishlist because the shots feel good.
    Brought TWD home 2 weeks ago & although I love the code (X shot especially) almost every other game now I see the skillshot bug.

What's the TWD skillshot bug?

ST has many quirky glitches and bugs. But if you're referring to the wizard mode bug, if I remember correctly, if you play each mission tier 1&2 starting at prime directive and moving around the grid clockwise it won't start enterprise amok on the final tier 2 mission. So it's not likely to happen, but it is there.

#471 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Lyman said at their presentation at Replay this year AC/DC would be one PF he wishes they could have redone. They did one stab at the PF and that was it. The discussion was over how the PF should give the player the info they need.. and AC/DC was noted as a letdown in that objective because of the timeframe they had for the game and they only did one shot at the PF.

Thanks for the reasonable response.

I love AC/DC, I think its risk vs. reward system is one of the niftiest rule sets ever in a game. I don't think it's a letdown whatsoever. I kinda would like to go back in time to see what the game was like before Lyman got his hands on it, just for poop n' giggles.

With that being said, my stupid lizard brain just can't wrap itself around why code wouldn't be just as important as playfield design. It also can't comprehend why it has useless inserts. They're not even "not ready yet" like BOTFA is on The Hobbit - a design decision I ALSO don't understand, but it makes a little more sense to me than the inserts on AC/DC, which don't ever seem to have been part of the design whatsoever.

#472 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I love AC/DC, I think its risk vs. reward system is one of the niftiest rule sets ever in a game. I don't think it's a letdown whatsoever. I kinda would like to go back in time to see what the game was like before Lyman got his hands on it, just for poop n' giggles.
    With that being said, my stupid lizard brain just can't wrap itself around why code wouldn't be just as important as playfield design. It also can't comprehend why it has useless inserts. They're not even "not ready yet" like BOTFA is on The Hobbit - a design decision I ALSO don't understand, but it makes a little more sense to me than the inserts on AC/DC, which don't ever seem to have been part of the design whatsoever.

It's probably about compressed production schedules, playfield lead times, and Stern pumping out 3 games a year as opposed to one game every 3 years. Code is the only component that can lag in the process, so naturally that's what happens.

A similar case in point is Iron Man IMHO. Except it's missing an insert for Bogey Ramps, or perhaps I've been missing another cue. It stands out because every now and then I'm shy of a final Mark and can't remember what's left because the inserts reset after each ball unless I super jackpot Monger, then at least it'll stay on.

I would argue that's a bigger issue than under utilized inserts. Still, IM is a richer game thanks to the late inclusion of Bogey Ramps. It doesn't really bother me though in the big scheme and IM is one of my favorite games. This is the first time I've ever even put my thoughts on the matter in a post.

If anyone wants to bitch about code quality I suggest that there are more deserving games than AC/DC or IM to choose from. Otherwise it just seems like it's bitching for the sake of bitching.

#473 7 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

It's probably about compressed production schedules, playfield lead times, and Stern pumping out 3 games a year as opposed to one game every 3 years. Code is the only component that can lag in the process, so naturally that's what happens.

I don't want to get the whole broken record ding against me, but this still baffles me. Why isn't code worked on in unison with the playfield? "It doesn't have to be in order for people to buy it" is the only answer people seem to have, and I find that unacceptable. I don't think the solution is "well don't buy one Corn and STFU"; I think companies should have their feet held to the fire for releasing incomplete games!

Let me try a whole different line of reasoning. What's the last pinball machine that was shipped with 100% complete code?

If anyone wants to bitch about code quality I suggest that there are more deserving games than AC/DC or IM to choose from. Otherwise it just seems like it's bitching for the sake of bitching.

This just makes me I'm not bitching about the game, I'm merely asking questions! I also think it's strange that no one is getting upset about my questions about The Hobbit, even though it's the same issue I have with AC/DC. Is the Stern Army that sensitive???!?

#474 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

ST has many quirky glitches and bugs. But if you're referring to the wizard mode bug, if I remember correctly, if you play each mission tier 1&2 starting at prime directive and moving around the grid clockwise it won't start enterprise amok on the final tier 2 mission. So it's not likely to happen, but it is there.

I am thinking it's the Woodbury skillshot bug.. it literally requires no skill.

What you do is keep pressing the right flipper until you pick the exact bonus you want and light the upper rollover lane. The lane will stop there, and then you just cycle through the bonus awards.. then hit the crossbar button and launch the ball, 9/10 times it goes right into the lane and you get whatever award you wanted. It pretty much defeats the entire purpose- what its supposed to do is keep cycling the lights instead of getting stuck at the last rollover lane. Hard to explain, but its definitely a bug.

#475 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I found the ST bug thread... Holy shit. No way I want that in my life. Took it off my wishlist. Such a shame as it shoots so nicely.

TWD skillshot bug is not related to Woodbury. Its from the prison door opening & turning off the inserts. Its right in your face before you even get to use your flippers. Fastest bug to surface during a game in pinball history lol.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-skillshot#post-3428158

#476 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I found the ST bug thread... Holy shit. No way I want that in my life. Took it off my wishlist. Such a shame as it shoots so nicely.
    TWD skillshot bug is not related to Woodbury. Its from the prison door opening & turning off the inserts. Its right in your face before you even get to use your flippers. Fastest bug to surface during a game in pinball history lol.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-skillshot#post-3428158

I had that occur from time to time when I first got my TWD, i fixed it by opening the gap on the prison walker switch. If that switch isn't gapped right, itll cause all sorts of weird issues, especially with the xbow. Gapped that switch and never saw that issue again for the remainder of its life at my home.

#478 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I had that occur from time to time when I first got my TWD, i fixed it by opening the gap on the prison walker switch. If that switch isn't gapped right, itll cause all sorts of weird issues, especially with the xbow. Gapped that switch and never saw that issue again for the remainder of its life at my home.

I wish that were true man

Its not the prison walker

Trust me. Its a bug

I had it gapped wide & narrow without change

#479 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yep! Same here.. works perfect now

#480 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Yep! Same here.. works perfect now

Explain please. Now I'm intrigued

#481 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Explain please. Now I'm intrigued

I am not sure, it just doesn't have any issues since changing the switch on the prison head. Maybe make a video of what you are describing?

#482 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Not a letdown in terms of a game.. but in the PF failing to convey the important information to the player and wishing he could redo that element.

The discussion was about Displays and how information is conveyed to the player. Lyman and Ducan went on to elaborate the importance of objectives being clear and represented on the PF itself. AC/DC was mentioned as being weak in that department, and the reason was because of the rush they had to build the game and as a result.. only one whitewood. It was mentioned in this thread as an example of how Rules can be very decoupled from physical design.

This is repeated throughout history with most games. Games are frequently designed as a physical layout by designers.. and then adapted once a theme/property is assigned and a programer takes both elements and comes up with rules. Rules generally come after.. and how much they are designer vs programmer vs team depends on the people involved.

#483 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't want to get the whole broken record ding against me, but this still baffles me. Why isn't code worked on in unison with the playfield?

It is to a degree - but its like saying "why don't we know the future???" - The timelines for these things are not completely in sync... and while you may have an outline of things.. its not done. And you can't always predict how things will work out.. maybe you want something more.. maybe there is too much you can't get to in a reasonable time.. or somethings just don't resonate with players. Software can always be changed.. so it is naturally pushed later in production where things that have long lead times get pushed earlier in the process.

#484 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I am not sure, it just doesn't have any issues since changing the switch on the prison head. Maybe make a video of what you are describing?

I did an experiment (home today) & put a piece of paper in the leaf switch & the issue was gone.

The problem is I'd have to gap the walker so wide it wouldn't register for shit during game play

Appears the red switch bounces under the playfield when the prison doors open.

Fuck. I have to choose between a registering walker or a functioning skillshot.

Wish the code would accomodate the vibration of the prison mech during skillshot.

SKB & KPG thank you very much for the insight

Back to bitching about Stern lol. Im off to see what I can do with TWD

#485 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I am thinking it's the Woodbury skillshot bug.. it literally requires no skill.
    What you do is keep pressing the right flipper until you pick the exact bonus you want and light the upper rollover lane. The lane will stop there, and then you just cycle through the bonus awards.. then hit the crossbar button and launch the ball, 9/10 times it goes right into the lane and you get whatever award you wanted. It pretty much defeats the entire purpose- what its supposed to do is keep cycling the lights instead of getting stuck at the last rollover lane. Hard to explain, but its definitely a bug.

That's not a bug. Both the award and which "target" you're aiming for are selectable, then you plunge to hit your selected "target". It's not stuck at the last rollover, use your left flipper to move it back.
    If you want to argue the lockdown bar button launch should be disabled for the skillshot and Woodbury I think I'm onboard with that.

#486 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's not a bug. Both the award and which "target" you're aiming for are selectable, then you plunge to hit your selected "target". It's not stuck at the last rollover, use your left flipper to move it back.
    If you want to argue the lockdown bar button launch should be disabled for the skillshot and Woodbury I think I'm onboard with that.

Yeah, I guess I can see that then. I just find it pointless to aim for another target when you can just go to the rollover lane, select any award you want, and hit the lockdown bar button and get it pretty much every single time.

#487 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I did an experiment (home today) & put a piece of paper in the leaf switch & the issue was gone.
    The problem is I'd have to gap the walker so wide it wouldn't register for shit during game play
    Appears the red switch bounces under the playfield when the prison doors open.
    Fuck. I have to choose between a registering walker or a functioning skillshot.
    Wish the code would accomodate the vibration of the prison mech during skillshot.
    SKB & KPG thank you very much for the insight
    Back to bitching about Stern lol. Im off to see what I can do with TWD

Hah! Well, in my case, gapping the walker switch made it more sensitive not less! I think the way the walker bash target is designed, having a little extra gap makes it register better from all shot angles.

#488 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Yeah, I guess I can see that then. I just find it pointless to aim for another target when you can just go to the rollover lane, select any award you want, and hit the lockdown bar button and get it pretty much every single time.

My TWD was pretty random on the top right/left lanes so i usually went for the 2nd rollover switch when it was for a lucrative reward.

#489 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

My TWD was pretty random on the top right/left lanes so i usually went for the 2nd rollover switch when it was for a lucrative reward.

Your TWD was defective then! What a piece of shit!

kidding bro

#490 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Your TWD was defective then! What a piece of shit!
    kidding bro

why do you think i sold it, thing just kept draining on me! just messing

Unsuccessfully saving up for pin#3 now and TWD is one on the list

#491 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

hahaha

TWD is a good one for sure.. just get those training wheel outlane extenders

#492 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Quoted from kpg:

I always go for the rollovers now just for practice

It's a meaningless difference when you make it all the way through the game

Why did u sell it SKB?!

After taking a bit of a break I'm back on it

How far have you gotten Kpg?

#493 7 years ago

Stern Surfing3.jpgStern Surfing3.jpg

#494 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hah! Well, in my case, gapping the walker switch made it more sensitive not less! I think the way the walker bash target is designed, having a little extra gap makes it register better from all shot angles.

I see what you're saying.

Move the red switch back towards the giant zombie head mechanism

Even tho the front leaf is the one to adjust on every other machine lol

Thanks man. I hope you get your TWD soon. I also hope I can resolve this without flipping my game over in frustration

#495 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't want to get the whole broken record ding against me, but this still baffles me. Why isn't code worked on in unison with the playfield?

I don't have a good answer, but I've always presumed that Stern uses early buyers as Beta testers and Pinside as feedback to finalize most games. That might not be so much true for Lopp games, but might be the case for Lyman games. That said, I think it leads to better games, as who better to provide feedback and ideas, than Pinsiders. So, perhaps we can sometimes as a group influence game code a little. Just a little food for thought that it might not be so bad in the long run.

#496 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

As Levi said above, and I will reiterate, the hobby isn't going anywhere. Some manufacturers may go out of business, but the hobby will be fine.
    And Jar155, sorry to hear it. Hopefully this all swings back at some point in the future. I don't think the market will support the new pricing model, so at some point it will go back to normal. Until then, just have fun playing pinball. Don't worry about the ups and downs of the other crap. Get together with some friends and enjoy the hobby.

But then quality might slip with lower prices D'OH!

#497 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't want to get the whole broken record ding against me, but this still baffles me.

LOL

Quoted from Cornelius:

* why include inserts in a game that is not going to use them

Probably Lyman was working on other projects and by the time he got involved it was already done and too late to change. Lyman had some great ideas for the game. But rather than trash all those ideas and focus on the playfield inserts Steve had already created, he stubbed in some code for those inserts (which, again as you've ignored, do do *something*), and moved onto the great ideas. We should all be thankful as that's what makes AC/DC such a great game.

Quoted from Cornelius:

* why doesn't the person creating the layout with the game work in tandem with the person creating the code?

I'm sure they do to some point. But there are points in a project where they cannot go back to the drawing board and change all the inserts.

#498 7 years ago

What do the cannon inserts do?

#499 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

What do the cannon inserts do?

Flash in attract mode...

#500 7 years ago

Glad to see sentiment has caught up with an opinion I've had for a year or two now. And with all this talk about faulty playfields, peeling decals and cheap toys, my HUO RBION still looks and plays as good as the day it was made.

And seemingly, somehow still better than a lot of new Sterns.

There are 767 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.