IMG_6976 (resized).JPG
IMG_6975 (resized).JPG
IMG_6974 (resized).JPG
IMG_6346 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
20150620205004656_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

For those of you that dont know, there was a german company called Geiger that made conversion kits for some machines back in the 80's/ A popular one is Miss World, if you can call it popular at only 5 units known.

Here is the thread from when i built the miss world
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finishing-up-a-unique-project-miss-world

So this thread is about "La Retata" This is a kit that was made for high speed machines. High speed is a good gama, and I hate the thought of destroying one, but the one I have is the perfect candidate. The backglass has about 30 percent art missing, and the playfield wear is beyond repair. I thought of just selling the high speed (i didnt want it, but took it in on trade) but everyone wants it for free because of the wear. So i havent touched it while I think of what im doing with it. Then yesterday I had a an appointment with a customer that I knew had a La Retata kit, so decided to do a trade for it.

So now the fun begins. I will update this thread when i make some progress, but im guessing it will be a month or two before i really start on it. Meanwhile im going to think of some things to do and make a plan. There was no cabinet art ever designed for it, so I have to come up with the art like I did for the Miss World.

If you have any Ideas, please say them, who knows, maybe it will get worked in. Right now, things that pop up are to do the cabinet in bright colors like yellow and pink. And maybe some art on one side for the dragnet part of the game, and do robocop on the other. Maybe do some bright color powdercoating on the ramps and armor. Really not sure, so while I finish up the few games im already working on, Ill give this thought so I know the direction of where to go when that time comes.

Troy

#5 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 8 years ago

What a strange and confusing theme. Dragnet and Robocop named after some Italian movie? Is there a story I'm missing here?

Still, it looks very cool, and I agree, great candidate for it. The world will be a better place with one more obscure game brought to life in exchange for a trashed High Speed.

#7 8 years ago

It might be funnier with the cabinet art being something completely unrelated to Robocop or Dragnet, because why not? The more random and off-the-wall, the better for the "theme".

#8 8 years ago

There was a La Reta for sale recently with a High Speed backglass. I was going to buy it to swap in my new High Speed playfield. The Dragnet / Robocop playfield would just be an interesting piece of pinball paraphernalia.

But if you are going to go the other way you have a good candidate to use.

Is it a complete kit with plastics?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Is it a complete kit with plastics?

Yes, it has the plastics, they are actually glued to the playfield (they pull right off, so the glue is not an issue. I am at odds of whether to clearcoat the playfield or not. Obviously now is the best time to clear, but I have to decide if it is a waste of time and money, because obviously this is not a "A" list game so there will not be great value to it,

#10 8 years ago

Rockland pinball had one set up during the summer when I was there. I did a double-take when I saw it. It's a weird, neat machine.

20150620205012130_(resized).jpg20150620205012130_(resized).jpg

20150620204957590_(resized).jpg20150620204957590_(resized).jpg

20150620205004656_(resized).jpg20150620205004656_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

I've seen this before. It's really a bizarre conversion because it makes no sense (dragnet + robocop = huh?)
Doesn't look like the sound roms are different either

#12 8 years ago

It actually makes perfect sense. The people designing the art on them had absolutely no clue what was art they were using. They just pirated whatever was known to be new or hot in the US and slapped it all together.

Sometimes it turns out to be pretty funny. I fixed up a nuova bell cobra (which now died and i'm still trying to ressurect). The music was a rip off of an 80's song. The sound calls are from various movie clips. I can't understand most of them.. but one certainly sounds like it's saying "get f**ked".

Look up a game called "gremlins" made by pinball shop of bologna italy. The art is a mish mash of pacman and other arcades. I don't think there's a single gremlin on it.

9 months later
#13 7 years ago

Finally getting around to it, playfield just needs spinner decals and apron decals

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

Custom built siderails are done

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#15 7 years ago

Coming along

IMG_6346 (resized).JPGIMG_6346 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#16 7 years ago

IMG_6974 (resized).JPGIMG_6974 (resized).JPG

IMG_6975 (resized).JPGIMG_6975 (resized).JPG

IMG_6976 (resized).JPGIMG_6976 (resized).JPG

IMG_6977 (resized).JPGIMG_6977 (resized).JPG

IMG_6979 (resized).JPGIMG_6979 (resized).JPG

IMG_6978 (resized).JPGIMG_6978 (resized).JPG

IMG_6980 (resized).JPGIMG_6980 (resized).JPG

IMG_6981 (resized).JPGIMG_6981 (resized).JPG

IMG_6982 (resized).JPGIMG_6982 (resized).JPG

IMG_6983 (resized).JPGIMG_6983 (resized).JPG

IMG_6984 (resized).JPGIMG_6984 (resized).JPG

IMG_6985 (resized).JPGIMG_6985 (resized).JPG

2 years later
#17 4 years ago

Hey love the work you did here. I just picked up a hammered High Speed and the Retata playfield/glass/plastics kit sold on here this week and will be diving in!

Any pro tips on the swap?

#18 4 years ago

Think it through, then rethink it again. This way you do it the way you want the first time. Saves time and money.

I did things like change all the targets to colors that matched the playfield. Wasn't cheap, but I would have hated it if I kept the original colors.

Take your time, and tons of pictures. And if you think you will get either your money or time out if it, then don't even start, lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-time-to-build-a-la-retata-high-speed-conversion-game?hl=aingide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.