(Topic ID: 174950)

Its time for a new Back to the Future pinball machine + a DMC-12 LE!

By PanzerFreak

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy a Back to the Future pinball machine?!”

• Great Scott! Yes! 42 votes
      71%
    • No 17 votes
      29%

(59 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BTTF (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    BTTF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I think that the pinball market is primed for a new Back to the Future pinball machine and that JJP could pull it off the best. Yes, there was a Data East Back to the Future pinball machine made 26 years ago but its not fondly remembered and uses far older technology than what is available today. Ghostbusters by Stern is a hit and I think that a Back to the Future trilogy pinball machine could easily be as big of a hit, if not bigger, if done correctly.

Here are a few ideas I have for creating what I believe would make a great Back to the Future pinball machine.

1. DMC-12 LE: The original Delorean exterior panels are made out of grade 304 brushed stainless steel. For a DMC-12 LE I would have the legs, side rails, lockdown bar and speaker grill made entirely out of 304 brushed stainless steel, no powder coat, have the armor look exactly like the stainless steel panels on a real Delorean. Next, the side rails would be laser etched with exterior RGB LED lighting (think Star Trek LE armor) that combined with interior RGB LED cabinet lighting (Star Trek LE again) would create the lighting affect that surrounds the Delorean when it's time circuits activate. Honestly, if this could be pulled off I think it would be the coolest light show ever on a pinball machine.

2. Have 3 ladders of modes, say 6 missions for each film based on scenes from each with a mini wizard mode for completing each ladder and a final wizard mode for completing everything. Keith Johnson mission based ruleset please

3. Lockdown bar button used to activate time circuits, travel between mode ladders: During the game you build up value to increase the electricity level of the time circuits to travel between each of the 3 films (the mode ladders in the game). Pressing the button kicks off the lighting affect on the cabinet / playfield. Modes can then be played in any order by traveling between the various time periods.

4. Clocktower toy model with working clock.

5. Mini digital clock toy for miles per hour (in the movies it sits on the Delorean dash). MPH increase as the electricity level of the "time circuits" is increased.

Licensing

I believe the original Data East game encountered an issue with not being able to use Michael J. Fox's likeness. That game was made over 25 years ago so maybe Michael J. Fox would change his mind for a new game. As a gesture of good will the license agreement could include a donation to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for every game sold.

What are your ideas for a Back to the Future pinball machine? Would you buy one?

BTTF (resized).jpgBTTF (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

As an owner of a heavily modified DeLorean, trust me, you would want the stainless steel edges dulled. Within the interior workings of the doors, it is common knowledge amongst owners to duct tape ALL corners and edges before working in there. The edges are quite literal razor blades and I have personally witnessed one fellow owner head to the hospital.
    In the end: make the stainless steel hardware with dull edges and all will be good .

Good tip! That's awesome you own a Delorean. I regret selling mine but between house projects, pinball and other hobbies I felt that I was stretching myself to thin (especially the hobby budget, lol). The car is a blast to drive and I would like to get one again one day.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Would they be able to use doc browns likeness?

Maybe. I think it depends on how the license is handled. Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox seem to love Back to the Future, heck they dressed up as their characters on Oct 21st of last year and showed up on Jimmy Kimmel driving a Delorean, lol.

To help with the license deal I thinking that making a donation to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for every game sold would be a very nice gesture.

2 months later
    #18 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There are 8 billion other franchises that have a huge fan base that have never had a pinball themed after them. Nothing special here. BTTF has already been done.

The existing BTTF pin is not that great...A new BTTF pin would sell as well as Ghostbusters if not better.

There are a lot of popular movie themes out there but only so many of them remain relevant today after 30+ years. Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are still extremely popular today.

1 month later
    #40 6 years ago

A Back to the Future pinball by AP would be awesome. If done right a BTTF pin could be a huge seller, as big as a hit as GB if not bigger.

1 year later
    #43 5 years ago

Posted this is another thread, interesting stuff. This game needs to get made!

Incase anyone is wondering whether or not kids in their early 20's know what Back to the Future is the answer is a resounding yes. Check out the video below where college students are asked if they know what movie the posters are from, starts at BTTF section. Every single person asked recognized the Back to the Future poster. In close second were The Goonies and Beetlejuice. Everyone also knew Karate Kid but I don't see that being a good theme for a pin.

The company that makes a new Back to the Future trilogy pinball machine, if done right, will have a title that will print them money. The theme has a ton of content to pull from across the 3 films which would make for unique and deep rules and above all its FUN!

BTTF (resized).JPGBTTF (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-time-for-a-back-to-the-future-pinball-machine-a-dmc-12-le?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.