(Topic ID: 220279)

It’s REALLY hard to NOT buy from China...

By TimeBandit

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1523367395834 (resized).jpg
    EAB17F9E-03E1-47D9-A22E-9AD508776934 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I get the whole buy and support local thing, and really want to, but man, I can’t get stuff turned around like this from across town, let alone interstate...

EAB17F9E-03E1-47D9-A22E-9AD508776934 (resized).jpegEAB17F9E-03E1-47D9-A22E-9AD508776934 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 years ago

China is an amazing country! I agree buy local but i have no problem supporting China! I visit there 2-4 times a year

#3 5 years ago

I was just telling someone this the other day - I ordered 85 32x32 LED panels (at 1/3 the price from Adafruit/Amazon), and it was here in TWO days. Faster than Amazon Prime. Amazing, but I won't do it again.

That said, look up the working conditions and the factories there. It makes it a LOT easier not to buy from there. But here's the thing - the big companies buy and re-sell at an enormous mark-up. All they are doing is making it "easier" to get the stuff. Except I have a harder time finding stuff on Amazon nowadays because they sell SO MUCH STUFF.

So ... what do you do? it all comes from there anyway.

#4 5 years ago

Wonder what prevents Chinese automobiles from entering the US market. I'm sure they would be cheap.

#5 5 years ago

Mostly our safety and emission regulations.

#6 5 years ago

PRC to AUS is fairly simple route compared to delivering in AUS as we are scarcely populated and have a HUUUUUGE country to deal with. I think Aus Post does pretty well really. Also depends on what freight terms.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Wonder what prevents Chinese automobiles from entering the US market. I'm sure they would be cheap.

Wonder what prevents US automobiles from being sold in China?

#8 5 years ago

Remember. Even if you are buying from local shops, Walmart etc. You are still supporting China. Next to nothing is actually manufactured 100% in the U.S or Canada anymore.

Assembled in North America. But parts made in China.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tariffs. You could buy a cheap car from China. But with the tariffs/ duty and shipping it would cost more than buying a car in North America. Gov way of keeping the auto industry alive.

China just lowered tariffs on European cars BMW and Tesla's going into China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-autos-tariffs/china-to-cut-tariffs-for-cars-auto-parts-from-july-1-idUSKCN1IN0UW

#10 5 years ago

Buick builds and sells cars in China. They sell more Buicks there than in the USA.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

PRC to AUS is fairly simple route compared to delivering in AUS as we are scarcely populated and have a HUUUUUGE country to deal with. I think Aus Post does pretty well really. Also depends on what freight terms.

?huh?
    once it reaches Australia, there is still the local infrastructure to deal with

some companies have better infrastructure than others
    DHL is the worst

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

There is a video out there that shows a Geely or Chery, failing a US crash test. Car hits the barrier then fully stops, many seconds later an airbag goes off.
    Thinking that a Chinese car company selling cars in North America, will be a low cost vehicle, with a warranty, just to help sell them. But waiting, in the wings is Tata.

#13 5 years ago

The Buick envision is manufactured in China by GM and is sold in the USA at Buick dealerships. Sad when you have to buy a toyota or honda to "buy" american.

#14 5 years ago

In regards to pinball, iv'e been told Marcos uses usa vendors to produce alot of their repro parts. Coin doors have been made in taiwan for years....

#15 5 years ago

Harley-Davidson even sources parts from outside of the US. So, they should really say their bikes are "assembled" in America....

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sborel:

In regards to pinball, iv'e been told Marcos uses usa vendors to produce alot of their repro parts. Coin doors have been made in taiwan for years....

This is sad, most of there repro stuff sucks
    in
    matching size and colors.

#17 5 years ago

I wonder why China doesn’t build airplanes? Because even the locals would not fly them.

Why do they only show a couple dozen Hollywood movies there per year? Because their government (like they do with every other industry) severely limits outside products as a way to support Chinese business. (They steal them all anyway and can be purchased for nearly nothing in DVD stores all over (again just like they do with all IP))

#18 5 years ago

It can be hard not to buy from China -- but that did not happen overnight.
    Given the option, would you buy a lower cost Chinese item or a pricier locally sourced item? I am guilty of both -- my visits to Harbor Freight (aka the Chinese Tool Store in our house) are one example.

Low labor costs, lack or regulations, and underpricing goods over years/decades has allowed China to flood the world with its stuff while at the same time diminishing the output/demand for domestic products.

We often go for the quick win and save several dollars with the Chinese purchase but are losing the long game by outsourcing our manufacturing jobs/economy to them. Over a long enough period of time domestic competition is minimal so it does indeed become hard not to buy from China.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

So the reason GM kept Buick and dissolved Pontiac is because of Buick’s sales numbers in China. Everyone in China wants to drive a Buick!.. sadly, I miss my pontiacs.... Take it from the former autoworker, Michigander in the group

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sborel:

The Buick envision is manufactured in China by GM and is sold in the USA at Buick dealerships. Sad when you have to buy a toyota or honda to "buy" american.

They make them there because they actually sell them there. Nobody buys them here... if they did then they would be made here. I live 45 mins north of the old Buick City site. My grandmother worked there.. it was the biggest manufacturing complex I’ve ever seen.. and now it’s a parking lot.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Not many could afford a US car unless it was sold for $100.00

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

Did you ignore what I said or not read it? Sales numbers disagree with your statement. Many are poor yes, but we need to get over this naritive that they all are... Because they are the largest growing market across the board.

That said, these tariffs aren’t going to help us. They are not the solution. indeed, it is pretty hard Not to buy from China.. in a lot of cases there aren’t American alternates anymore.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

China's 2019 emission standards exceed the USA ones.

This year China forbid the manufacturer of 500 different auto models that did not meet the 2018 standard.

By contrast, the US is going to start allowing more pollution from it's cars.

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060077379

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Lot's of USA brand cars are built and sold in China.

1523367395834 (resized).jpg1523367395834 (resized).jpg
    #25 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly, fords cut production of cars in the US with the exception being the mustang, and some little tiny thing.. Why? Because Americans aren’t buying them. The thing is, the auto manufacturers need the gas efficient cars in thier fleet to lower the emission standard of the fleet... this is likely why trump is rolling back emissions...Rather, resetting them on the original path. According to Vw they plan to no longer produce vehicles with internal combustion engines by 2030 I believe. I would imagine other manufacturers are on the same path? Good for China tho, their rivers are so polluted I’m surprised they havent started on fire yet... like ours did.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I get the whole buy and support local thing, and really want to, but man, I can’t get stuff turned around like this from across town, let alone interstate...

Once tried to get a lot of MSD - WHIMIS sheets from a chemical company in Houston. They sent them by DHL to me in Leduc Alberta. 4 weeks later the package arrives. On the front it was stamped, 'Poland'. Some one at DHL saw our company name and figured that Odessa was where it was going to go to.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

China's 2019 emission standards exceed the USA ones.

It’s about time (if true, what the standard is vs reality) but there is no US city where you’d be tempted to walk atound with a mask on your face all day.

Quoted from crlush:

My sister works for Daimler and lives in Beijing. The place smells like urine, the little-kids wear “split pants” and their parents allow them to deficate in the middle of the sidewalk, they eat bugs and dogs, they sell turtles hanging on ropes at every big intersection, the state tells the landlords when heat can come on and what days you can drive that new car - there is tons of poverty but there is an exploding middle-class that are buying cars like crazy.

And you’d think it’d be like Europe with tons of small cars (since the traffic is bananas) but they all drive big US and European cars. Daimler and BMW can’t stock them fast enough. There is TONS of new wealth and it’s all on the backs of other countries.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Duvall:

but there is no US city where you’d be tempted to walk atound with a mask on your face all day.

Last year, tons of people were wearing masks in the Bay Area.

Constant forest fires, Smog and whatnot make Cali's air oftentimes more polluted than Beijing.

In 2017 China CANCELLED over 100 coal power plants that had already begun construction.

China is making serious inroads against pollution.

The US is relaxing pollution laws....

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Constant forest fires, Smog and whatnot make Cali's air oftentimes more polluted than Beijing.

And that 'little' methane leak in LA. Hey did they ever plug that thing up?

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

By US Automobiles, I mean those built in the United States. Basically the reverse of Chinese made shoes and junk tools that are made in China and sold in the United States

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

By US Automobiles, I mean those built in the United States. Basically the reverse of Chinese made shoes and junk tools that are made in China and sold in the United States

I see lots of big USA made SUVs in China (and some German ones too), but the little Ford and BMW cars are made in China itself.

You don't see too many Japanese cars in China, because the Chinese remember how badly they were abused and outright murdered by the Japanese in WWII.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In 2017 China CANCELLED over 100 coal power plants that had already begun construction.
    China is making serious inroads against pollution.
    The US is relaxing pollution laws....

Ahhh, no. I work in the Bay Area and have never seen a person with a mask on. Maybe where the huge forest fires were happening up north. There are a few days a year when we have a "spare the air" day but usually when it is really hot with high pressure which is common here, not to mention we are in a valley with winds coming from the west and mountains to the east. Our most smoggy day is still far better than super polluted China. Don't believe the fake news you see on TV, LA on the other hand is a bit worse.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

?huh?
    once it reaches Australia, there is still the local infrastructure to deal with
    some companies have better infrastructure than others
    DHL is the worst

DHL has always been good for me and as the OP showed it got from point of origin to final destination in four days using them.

Most of our interstate domestic parcels on the other hand sit in their point of origin State based distribution centres/sorting facilites before being moved to the point of destination State distribution centre. If it had been ordered within Australia it would have been held up in Chullora or Granville for at least that time period.

#34 5 years ago

Been seeing more Chinese produce and food at the grocery store lately. (mandarins, prawns, shrimp, etc)

The wife and I refuse to buy food product from China. Google their shrimp farms and you'll be sick...

#35 5 years ago

on halloween look at the wrappers and stay away from candy manufactured in china. dont buy that crap its unsafe for kids to eat.

#36 5 years ago

not china, but remind me this :

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Been seeing more Chinese produce and food at the grocery store lately. (mandarins, prawns, shrimp, etc)
    The wife and I refuse to buy food product from China. Google their shrimp farms and you'll be sick...

Will Harbor Freight soon have a "food" section in their stores?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-really-hard-to-not-buy-from-china and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.