(Topic ID: 4111)

It's official! I'm a pinball machine owner!

By Firebaall

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gnrapron.jpg
    beercade.jpg
    gnr.jpg
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

I decided to jump head first into the hobby.

....in the deep end!

Up here where I live, pinball machines are not well maintained and rare to find. Those that you can find are often in terrible shape or don't work at all.

I bought one that didn't work at all from an operator that didn't have the slightest idea how to fix the problems it had.

Tonight, there's victory! I saved one from the scrap yard.

Some of the things I had to troubleshoot and repair:

1) replaced the missing autolaunch assembly
    2) replaced the wrong value coil they intalled on the G ramp
    3) rebuilt a portion of the power supply board
    4) replaced a few transistors and a diode on the CPU board
    5) fixed the enable clock signal for the sound board PIA
    6) replaced the burnt GI pins and headers for the powersupply
    7) replaced burnt low current connector for the backbox lighting

For the first time in years, it runs again. It's still dirty as heck, and needs a shop job in the worst way, but it's going to be a great machine. It's also kind of special to me since it's the very same machine I played on back in my schooldays in the student's lounge.

Who knew what I was going to school for was going to save it's life someday! gnr.jpggnr.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Wow GNR is a great find. Congrats to you!

#3 12 years ago

That is a great find!!! and very sought after too..Congrats!!!

#4 12 years ago

Your life will never be the same...in a good way, congrats!

#5 12 years ago

I cry at moments like this.

#6 12 years ago

Hugs for everybody!!! Nice find and congrats on bringing GNR back to life.

#7 12 years ago

Great pin. Great find. Easy game to shop out.

#8 12 years ago

Awesome Nice Pin!

#9 12 years ago

great machine to have saved from a terrible fate, GnR's are toughies to find. best of luck shopping it, treasure it forever.

#10 12 years ago

Welcome to the fellow pinball fanatic club.

#11 12 years ago

Great pick up. I kinda miss mine since I sold it recently. I have a NOS Rose shooter if yours is beat up & also a brand new repro G ramp if yours is cracked at all as most end up that way. Shoot me a email if you need either items.

#12 12 years ago

Congrats and welcome!! Very cool machine so glad you saved it!

#13 12 years ago

OOOOhhhhhhh I likey.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

I'm not sure which I enjoy more, finding and fixing the problems or playing the game.

I think once I have this tweaked and cleaned up I'll look for another pinball to rescue. I know whatever I find can't be more difficult than this one was. The goon squad of repair techs that tried to fix it before giving up and burying in the basement of their shop sure did a number on it.

It slowed down repair when having to fix all the previous bad repair work.

Smassa, the rose shooter is in great shape (I was surprised). The G ramp has a small chip under the steel ramp guard (you'd only see if if you were removing the ramp for cleaning or coil replacement). I'll shoot you an e-mail. It couldn't hurt to have extra parts for a pin I intend to keep, shoot me back an e-mail with a price.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I'm not sure which I enjoy more, finding and fixing the problems or playing the game.

Once you figure it out there is an old thread you can weigh in on with your decision and input about fixing or playing. Again, welcome and good luck.

#16 12 years ago

you saved the girl champagne on ice -

always great hearing about a pin saved from the scrap heap

#17 12 years ago

GNR awesome pin to start with.

#18 12 years ago

Great find Firebaall!
    Hadouken!!! (kidding!)

I think GAP has a custom Slash shooter rod you can upgrade to on his website.
    He is an avid member here.
    See if he has one still in stock via PM.

Here is the link...
    http://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product_detail.asp?productId=139&categoryId=25&returnPage=%2Fproducts%2Easp%3Fpage%3D2%26categoryId%3D25

#19 12 years ago

Awesome, simply awesome. Congrats!

#20 12 years ago

Funky shooter rod, Nimble. I don't know if I'd prefer it over the rose though.

I played it for a couple hours today looking for small things to fix.

I found that the right hand drain (the "Michelle" rollover) wasn't reattched at the VUK switch by somebody that did some previous repair work there, and the Rose shooter lane wireform on the switch didn't extend high enough for a ball to activate it.

Easy , and fun fixes!

One last thing to iron out before it's 100% functional and ready for a shop job.

I found an odd issue with the game dectecting the second last ball in a multiball as the the "final" ball, and ending the round. It also sometimes drains a single ball down the centre and needs a nudge to detect the drain.

Looks like that micro switch #6 in the 6-ball switch assembly is asking for peak tomorrow!

*edit*

As of now, she's 100% functional! Wootsauce!

It was the little micro switch #6. The metal tab was bent from a previous "repair".

Heck, I'm a happy guy right now!

#21 12 years ago

The requisite victory shot:

beercade.jpgbeercade.jpg

#22 12 years ago

Great work Firebaall, love that message on your game. Sounds like you earned that frosty cold one and now its time to enjoy!!

1 month later
    #23 12 years ago

I've gone bonkers on this machine.

I'm in the middle of a massive (real) shop job.

I have the playfield stripped, and just as I was getting to the underside of the apron I find this:

gnrapron.jpggnrapron.jpg

For those that can't make out what it says in the pinball head, it's "J Borg". All is under the factory clear coat.

Pretty neat!

I sent this picture (in full resolution) to a friend that knows John Borg personally. I'm hoping to discover the meaning behind the unexpected easter egg!

#25 12 years ago

Congrats, you will never be the same

#26 12 years ago

Nice pin. Welcome to the addiction.

#27 12 years ago

Try crack! It's cheaper!!!

#28 12 years ago

It's great that you have the knowledge to fix machines like that! Wow!

#29 12 years ago

It's even got the Rose, I hear they are very sort after & people like to saw them off.

We live in a desperate/strange World.

Nice table.

#30 12 years ago

Yup, the rose was in really good condition. I also bought the NOS one from Smassa for insurance.

9 months later
    #31 11 years ago

Hmmm,, No Pict's of the Tear down ... Why ? Ist Pin and Less than a Year ago ,

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Hmmm,, No Pict's of the Tear down ... Why ? Ist Pin and Less than a Year ago ,

Well B_R, he now shows 8 pins in his collection and GNR is one of them. It must have worked out well?

#33 11 years ago

That's Awesome. Congrats!

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Boatshoe:

That's Awesome. Congrats!

The original post was 11 months ago.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Well B_R, he now shows 8 pins in his collection and GNR is one of them. It must have worked out well?

B_R is returning the volley that Firebaall launched his way on another post....

B_R, take the high road here and let this sleeping dog lie....

#36 11 years ago

I tried to give this thread a perfect rating and only realized then that it was necromanced. I am eleven months late but awesome find! GNR is a dream machine for me.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #38 11 years ago

Very nice find.... I just have a hard time believing it was ready for a scrap yard. It looks like it will clean up nice. Any playfield wear?

Never owned GnR but never usually see text under CC and apron on older games. hmmm.. might have something special there.

#39 11 years ago

congrats! really nice one

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

B_R is returning the volley that Firebaall launched his way on another post....

B_R, take the high road here and let this sleeping dog lie....

You apparently missed the Marco Tread where he lied about Marco reps giving him personal information about my purchases... He's got some issues. Stalking might be one of them. lol

Anyways... this was the first machine I took in, and I've done a lot in pinball over this last year. I've fixed just about every problem under the sun that a Williams, Bally, Sega, or DE game can throw a somebody.

The collection that I have is entirely made up of machines that I've fixed from non-working or near non-working pins. First I get them working 100%, then I get them looking the best they can without a formal restore. 60-80 hours per pin gets me a nice machine for my personal collection that I'm not trying to flip for a buck.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

You apparently missed the Marco Tread where he lied about Marco reps giving him personal information about my purchases... He's got some issues. Stalking might be one of them. lol
    Anyways... this was the first machine I took in, and I've done a lot in pinball over this last year. I've fixed just about every problem under the sun that a Williams, Bally, Sega, or DE game can throw a somebody.
    The collection that I have is entirely made up of machines that I've fixed from non-working or near non-working pins. First I get them working 100%, then I get them looking the best they can without a formal restore. 60-80 hours per pin gets me a nice machine for my personal collection that I'm not trying to flip for a buck.

Yep, didn't see that, but either way, he had an opportunity to take the high road (as you did in his GNR post) and didn't take it.

I am glad to see that you are enjoying all that pinball can throw at you, it is an awesome feeling, no doubt. I have been collecting/refurbing for 12 years now and still enjoy today as much as I did when I started. Something satisfying about using your hands and your brain to bring these back from the dead and back to their former glory.

#42 11 years ago

I definitely enjoy fixing them. Aside from the 12 I've gone through for myself in this past year, I've also fixed about as many for others. The trouble is, there's more requests for help coming in than I have time (or room) for.

I have to be careful that I don't get burned out, and keep this as a hobby.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Lies and Stalking ,, F-You on the Lie Part , and You Wish you had a Stalker ! I was Just dig-n thru Yr Very Few Threads look-n for some of Yr Shop job Pict's,, Found None , but Plenty of Talk about work.. You Stuck Yr nose in my GNR Thread , call-n me a Spit polisher , I say Yr Full of S*** !!

But I did Resurrect Yr Post from the Dead , and now Yr smell-n Like a Rose . // Error: Image 29483 not found //

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Lies and Stalking ,, F-You on the Lie Part , and You Wish you had a Stalker ! I was Just dig-n thru Yr Very Few Threads look-n for some of Yr Shop job Pict's,, Found None , but Plenty of Talk about work.. You Stuck Yr nose in my GNR Thread , call-n me a Spit polisher , I say Yr Full of S*** !!

Directly quoted from Paul from Marco on your lie:

"*****(my name), we held a meeting to discuss this issue, I spoke with all of our representatives who may have corresponded with him, and no such thing was ever said to him."

Care to explain that? I doubt it. Want me to post the PMs I sent you trying to handle this in private? I'll bet you don't. I'll even give Robin permission to validate them, since he can read the PMs as they sit. He also has my permission to validate the PMs from Paul (Marco). You're out gunned here. I have the truth on my side.

As for pictures of my work, I don't feel the need to whore out every light bulb I change on a pinball machine, looking for approval. If you are so "tight" with Marco reps, why don't you ask them to look up the thousands I've spent this year there. Those parts weren't for hanging on a Xmas tree...

As for me sticking my nose in your GnR thread:

Quoted from Firebaall:

That's the roughest GnR I've seen.

It's a challenge worth taking.... assuming you've got skills beyond a spit polisher, that is.

Is english a second language for you? You were bitter about me calling you on your lies in the Marco thread. I still stand by 100% in what I said. That GnR would be an easy refurb for anybody with skill beyond a "spit polisher". It's not my fault you can't read what's written, and insert your own interpretation.

In fact, I had every right to post in that thread. Especially since I DO have relative experience. See the OP here for that.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

You were bitter about me calling you on your lies in the Marco thread.

I have a PM from the Big Man at Marco , God I want to Post it . I Don't Lie !!

You Know ,, I Guess I Post pict-s of My Work , and when me and S,Tastic do Shop Jobs to let others see what's behind the scenes .. I Guess I'm Just into the Whole ,, uhh ,, Deal here @ Pinside.. Also I Knew B-4 I Pressed ( Send Post ) in that Marco Thread that I was Gonna cause some Heat ,, but I did it anyway , Then I tried to edit my Post right after i talked w/ ?? .. Too Late , I was Quoted already !!

#46 11 years ago

Well, then I suggest you post it. If what you're saying is true about Marco, they are making you look like a schmuck.

While you're at it, ask them about the iGlobal mess up that I agreed to buy. Better yet, ask them about the W2H0 topper plastic that they sent that was pooched, and I had to get the guy that I ordered it for, to try and straighten out.

Better yet, ask them to post a ratio of what they ACTUALLY had to replace vs my order history. Hell, ask them about the rubber kit parts that never arrived from that "Marco" post......

#47 11 years ago

wow...seems like i accidentaly bumped into RGP here.... LOL

you guys need to lick each others ass, and make up...LOL

life is too short to hate other guys in the hobby...its a small world in pins, and we should try to enjoy it together....

i learned this at RGP, and wont be making that mistake again if i can help it...

carry on boys !

#48 11 years ago

Ok Firebaall , Our PM's aren't Working either... Let's Kill this Argument !! I'm Thru ..........
    You have my cell # if you want to talk ..........

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Ok Firebaall , Our PM's aren't Working either... Let's Kill this Argument !! I'm Thru ..........
    You have my cell # if you want to talk ..........

I'm proud of ya B_R......

man'ing up shows alot of integrity... more people should be like that !

BRAVO FUCKER !...LOL

#50 11 years ago

The funny thing, is that it's really not that big of an deal....at first.

What's blown this waaay out of proportion, is the issue of who's lying over this Marco issue. If B_R is being truthful, I can understand why he's upset. Then again, the onus is on him to show that Marco did pass along personal customer information. I can understand the reluctance to do so. Certainly if he has a close working relationship with the person. Again, I get that.

The Marco rep took the time to contact me, and tell me that it was not the case about passing any such information to B_R. He also said I was welcome to paraphrase his response in the forum. I shouldn't have to deal with this crap anymore.

I've stated my postion, and I'm fine with letting this issue lie at rest. I've shown my proof, and willingness for it to be verified. B_R and Marco can deal with it, but don't come swinging at me.... because I will hold fast as the injured party.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-official-im-a-pinball-machine-owner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.