Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Turned on my earthshaker tonight and my spinner was causing a tilt. What the hell? Hit pinside for a quick reference , follow the matrix eh , ok I will. Followed the switch matrix to the left and couldn't find any problems, followed the switch matrix down , and there it is , two wires slightly touching causing a short.

Then I find one drop target not working, read up on pinside and do some reading, check optos, ok I will. Found a dirty opto, cleaned it up and I have a perfectly playing earthshaker again !

Without pinside I would be lost , or lack the confidence to try some of the things I do because of advice I read here, Thanks Pinside !!

#2 5 years ago

True, true, but RGP has 20+ years of such info (if you can get Google's search to cooperate).

Or, use rgparchive's, they have most of it saved too.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

True, true, but RGP has 20+ years of such info (if you can get Google's search to cooperate).

Following RGP threads makes me want to shoot myself. Worst interface ever.

Though there is some amazing info if you can find it!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Or, use rgparchive's, they have most of it saved too.

Has anyone ever gotten the pinside search to spit out anything usefull? I still use google to search pinside

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Following RGP threads makes me want to shoot myself. Worst interface ever.
Though there is some amazing info if you can find it!

RGP is just a plain old newsgroup, so there isn't just one interface. There are literally dozens, so just find one you like.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Has anyone ever gotten the pinside search to spit out anything usefull? I still use google to search pinside

I agree. I don't know how many times I have found something pinball related on Pinside via Google and thought, "why didn't I find that when I searched on pinside?"

#7 5 years ago

Also there's no frank fuhter and stupid threads about pins fitting in cars

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I still use google to search pinside

How is the best way to do that?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

But there's alot of other crap that you may not want to read either.

It's a matter of having some common sense, using the filters, and having fun No forum is perfect.

Chris

#10 5 years ago

Glad you clarified I always thought the best thing about it was ..... ME.

#11 5 years ago

RGP is the place to go for tech support. If you found tech support on here, you got really lucky.

#12 5 years ago

Let's not take this to seriously folks. Pinside is just a place to go to converse with other people with common interest. The love of the game of Pinball.
Yes you can probably get some tech info on a particular machine. But we all know, at least those that are serious about Pinball that we have a go to guy(technician) in out own neigbourhood or town that we can call up and get the tech info. I think Pinside is really here for us Pinsiders to just share a laugh and talk some Pinball and yes sometimes talk about Frankfurters or Type of vehicles we transport our Pins in. The threads may stray sometimes and there maybe topics that are way out there but it can be fun also when you assist your fellow Pinsider in the sale of a machine or maybe find one you have been searching for. All in all just take it for what it is. A forum for people to get together and discuss a hobby that we all enjoy.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Let's not take this to seriously folks. Pinside is just a place to go to converse with other people with common interest. The love of the game of Pinball.Yes you can probably get some tech info on a particular machine. But we all know, at least those that are serious about Pinball that we have a go to guy(technician) in out own neigbourhood or town that we can call up and get the tech info. I think Pinside is really here for us Pinsiders to just share a laugh and talk some Pinball and yes sometimes talk about Frankfurters or Type of vehicles we transport our Pins in. The threads may stray sometimes and there maybe topics that are way out there but it can be fun also when you assist your fellow Pinsider in the sale of a machine or maybe find one you have been searching for. All in all just take it for what it is. A forum for people to get together and discuss a hobby that we all enjoy.

I have to disagree about this only being a forum for fun....many pinsiders post hoping to have others help with tech issues. There are most likely between 5 and 10 posts a day asking for help with tech issues. I understand asking a local technician for help, but if you can get it fixed from suggestions such as LTG, why fork out the money to go outside....IMHO

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Let's not take this to seriously folks. Pinside is just a place to go to converse with other people with common interest. The love of the game of Pinball.
Yes you can probably get some tech info on a particular machine. But we all know, at least those that are serious about Pinball that we have a go to guy(technician) in out own neigbourhood or town that we can call up and get the tech info. I think Pinside is really here for us Pinsiders to just share a laugh and talk some Pinball and yes sometimes talk about Frankfurters or Type of vehicles we transport our Pins in. The threads may stray sometimes and there maybe topics that are way out there but it can be fun also when you assist your fellow Pinsider in the sale of a machine or maybe find one you have been searching for. All in all just take it for what it is. A forum for people to get together and discuss a hobby that we all enjoy.

respectfully disagree. So far I have been able to keep my machines running, as a newbie, by asking all questions to fellow pinsiders. a decade ago , my area tech seemed to come monthly. now, with pinside and all the good people, I am able to fix things, update stuff, etc that I never even attempted before. And I wonder what you mean by "serious about pinball"?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

RGP is the place to go for tech support. If you found tech support on here, you got really lucky.

RGP is a great resource when it comes to searching the archives for tech help. If I can't find what I need in the RGP archives or from searching here or on Google, I ask for tech help here, and 90% of the time, someone (often Lloyd) is able to help me out. In other words, I get really lucky, as you put it.

Before coming here, LTG and TheKorn (and others) were always very helpful to me on RGP.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

respectfully disagree. So far I have been able to keep my machines running, as a newbie, by asking all questions to fellow pinsiders. a decade ago , my area tech seemed to come monthly. now, with pinside and all the good people, I am able to fix things, update stuff, etc that I never even attempted before. And I wonder what you mean by "serious about pinball"?

Sorry I guess that wasn't a good choice of words.
I never said you cannot get info from Pinside. I guess I'm spoiled. We have a local pinball association and 2 companies locally that offer tech support. Just have to call them up.
I just wanted to suggest there are more efficient and quicker ways to get support at least in my area.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

How is the best way to do that?

Add "site:http://www.pinside.com" to your query on google. For example:

xmen update coming site:http://www.pinside.com

Actually returns the current topic by that name vs pinside search returning topic "Tron update coming" that hasn't had an update in 110 days.

Very sorry for the thread hijack. I like pinside too, but using the built in search certainly makes it seem like there aren't many answers here

#18 5 years ago

You do realize, that there is a very large portion of people on here that enjoy fixing the games more than playing them, right?

Quoted from Nilroc:

We have a local pinball association and 2 companies locally that offer tech support. Just have to call them up.

#19 5 years ago

All of my recent fixes have been from finding archived threads on Pinside. It helps me all the time!

#20 5 years ago

I'm gonna weigh in and say that in recent months Tech questions I've posted here have been answered fairly Quick . I have not had to hit the RGP archives. That being said RGP has a lot of useful knowledge,but Pinside is much easier to navigate.Just my two cents.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Well now that all the RGPrs are here now, that should change.

Pappy

#22 5 years ago

Not quite all.

Quoted from PappyBoyington:

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Not quite all.

LOL, you had to take me literally. Alright then how about "Most", is that good for you?

Pappy

#24 5 years ago

RGP does have tons of useful tech information, but the layout is hard to get through, especially if it's a multi-comment thread that you have to keep clicking sub pages on.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Respectfully and totally disagree. I personally have helped dozens here especially on System 1 issues. And I see a familiar list of folks here who are always helping with tech questions. Anmd they stick with the thread until the OP makes the repair.,

Many folks also chime in with the answers to the tech questions because they have experienced the same i problems and issues and know what needs to be done to fix the problem.

My only issue with helping out on tech questions is when you ask for the OP to make a measurement here and there and they never do so you get frustrated trying to help out.

Also a lot of OPs try and fix multiple issues all at once instead of fixing one issue at a time starting with the most important one.

But again a bunch of great Techs here always willing to help , over and over!

#26 5 years ago

How many wide-bodies can I fit in my Tesla?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Pappy

Except the RGP'ers have a slim chance to even see the tech question because it fell off the front page in 30 min due to the "hey Look at the LED's I just installed" and "do you think "New stern I havnt' seen pin, will be better than Tron, IM, AC/DC ...ect" threads.

#28 5 years ago

Also there's no frank fuhter...

Enough said!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Many folks also chime in with the answers to the tech questions because they have experienced the same i problems and issues and know what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Sure, it's fun to help here because many of the noobs asking for help are relatively clueless. They make me feel like some kind of technical wizard (which I'm not).

Quoted from pdman:

My only issue with helping out on tech questions is when you ask for the OP to make a measurement here and there and they never do so you get frustrated trying to help out.

I get frustrated when the answer to their question is right there in the manual. Never mind googling, just open the damb manual. The knowledge level of the average poster asking for help on RGP was a lot higher than the folks asking for help here these days. Pinside is more accommodating to noobs, RGP is the wild west.

One trend that seems be growing at an alarming rate here is people posting that they damaged their game while installing mods. Switch matrixs blown out while installing LED's. Or they installed all new Rottendog boards and the game still doesn't work. Makes me want to scream. Props to the guys that help those folks without lecturing. I can't do it. If they were friends, I would slap many of them senseless.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I get frustrated when the answer to their question is right there in the manual.

Even if it's the millionth time, help them learn. Eventually the light goes on and they accomplish more on their own. Learning to learn.

Quoted from phishrace:

Props to the guys that help those folks without lecturing.

Try and look at it from their perspective. Might be the thousandth time for you to read it, it is often their first time posting it.

When trying to help, you also help everybody, you also help pinball.

Look at other forums, newsgroups, or hobbies. When new people get made fun of or attacked. Everyone and everything suffers.

LTG : )

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

This is why pinside is so great!

I thought it was because on here all of our pinball machines will each be worth $10K by Christmas.*

*except for MB and BBB

#32 5 years ago

I wish littlecammi, then again if it were true, purchasing a pinball machine would be worse then it already is lol.

The info is here with a little reading and digging, this is a great community. Some of us are entirely on our own, no local repair man , no club, places like this keep my machine working !

#33 5 years ago

Well said Lloyd.

#34 5 years ago

Pinside keeps me up to date on everything! I LOVE Pinside!

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Except the RGP'ers have a slim chance to even see the tech question because it fell off the front page in 30 min due to the "hey Look at the LED's I just installed" and "do you think "New stern I havnt' seen pin, will be better than Tron, IM, AC/DC ...ect" threads.

There is a tech section. However maybe tech questions can have their own tag so they are easier for experienced guys to see? There also is the Ask Lloyd area at the top where people can get help.

Pappy

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Even if it's the millionth time, help them learn. Eventually the light goes on and they accomplish more on their own. Learning to learn.

Try and look at it from their perspective. Might be the thousandth time for you to read it, it is often their first time posting it.
When trying to help, you also help everybody, you also help pinball.
Look at other forums, newsgroups, or hobbies. When new people get made fun of or attacked. Everyone and everything suffers.
LTG : )

That's why your the man Lloyd! Thanks for all you do!

#37 5 years ago

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

C'mon Neo, stay positive.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

C'mon Neo, stay positive.

I was. Trying to keep it as nice as I could. I thought I did pretty good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plainfield, IL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside