Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jim C (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    Pin God (resized).jpg
    Jesus Pin (resized).png
    CAM01381 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2598 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5746 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5743 (resized).JPG
    goldengirls (resized).jpg
    download (resized).png
    WDPOS (resized).jpg
    IMG_0743 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2165 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

haha an Iceman whom-dey circle jerk. At least it's finally contained to one thread.

It's all about some POSITIVE passion ladies!

Fun times, fun pins

Giddy up

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

You don't shave your pubes?!
    What is this? The Dark Ages?

Then you're in the bronze age. I've been in the laser age for a decade+

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Guys I got work to get done ...

WDPOS (resized).jpgWDPOS (resized).jpg

Quoted from iceman44:

It's all about some POSITIVE passion ladies!
    Fun times, fun pins
    Giddy up

Yup love my GOT and miss my MET.

#103 6 years ago

This thread is pretty funny. The same 3-4 people that praise stern and act like they walk on water. Then the same 3-4 people that bash stern endlessly. Just going by the odds it's likely that both groups are wrong and the truth is somewhere in between.

#104 6 years ago

AS came out of left field for me.

I had ZERO intention on getting it.

Also had zero intention on Star Wars but after seeing the LCD, lighting and sound upgrade for the second time I'm on the list

Great reviews, streaming vids and get the vids simply can't do it justice

It's fun playing pinball with a smile on your face

I can see Alien doing the same thing!!!

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

#SternhaterArmy
    They downvote everything positive and then can't answer a simple question. Yes or no
    Making great pinball or not ?
    Place your vote above, don't be shy about it now

I'll answer. Yes Stern makes great pinball. I've owned more Sterns then Bally Williams. But with their latest shenanigans they have lost some of my trust. I wasnt too keane with them when they got lazy on code and I will agree that some pinside users get their pitchforks out quickly, myself included. Stern's and JJP's new pricing models have completely priced me out. Star Wars included. HUO market for me from now on.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

This thread is pretty funny. The same 3-4 people that praise stern and act like they walk on water. Then the same 3-4 people that bash stern endlessly. Just going by the odds it's likely that both groups are wrong and the truth is somewhere in between.

Get a little excitement going JG

Great pinball? Simple question? Yes or no

Come on now, you can do it

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Agreed^^^^^ Yin and Yang>>>>>>

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

#108 6 years ago

There's nothing wrong with being excited about a new pinball purchase but don't create a thread with a passive aggressive title and passive aggressive tones in the message body...thats the reason why it's been down voted like crazy, not because of "haters".

#109 6 years ago

For the record to be copied and pasted in every thread. I acknowledge Stern has issues, including a big one I had with BM66 turn table and some GB PF ghosting

I'm not trying to sweep it under the rug, whine about it all you want

Yes pricing is Nucking Futs

Still I'm having a blast and nobody is raining on my parade

AC/DC, Met, GB, TWD, GOT, AS, BM66 (pending) Star Wars Ritchie to name a few of the recent greats

But you guys already know that

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Get a little excitement going JG
    Great pinball? Simple question? Yes or no
    Come on now, you can do it

I would say it's good pinball. So if the question is only "Great pinball?". My answer is no.

#111 6 years ago

Yeah the title is a bit provocative, but seems like he's just having fun while give a couple pokes. It's nice to see a positive thread on the game. The game is looking pretty good in purple and the excitement here is overshadowing the risk and making me wish I had one. I've played the game at least 20-30 times and its a blast

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I would say it's good pinball. So if the question is only "Great pinball?". My answer is no.

What is your def of great? Nothing?

#113 6 years ago

I'm def not poking at Alien. Just using my favorite quote to express my excitement with AS!

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from TrevixClemson:

I know I'm probably in the minority (and one of the younger people here), but I wouldn't buy hardly any of what Stern is pumping out.
    Aerosmith? When is the last time they were relevant? Armageddon (1998), and for a love ballad played on soft rock stations in doctors offices?
    Batman 66? Yeah, umm no. The only thing I know Adam West from is Family Guy. Batman 66 theme is a joke tosuck up money from the nursing home crowd.
    Ghostbuster is more of the same, old stuff that isn't overly funny to the newer generation anyway. My family and friends thought the new all girls GB was far funnier than the original.
    Kiss? Aren't they dead yet?
    GoT is fun, but butchered what could have been a great theme.
    Not nearly every game they produce is "kickass"... I'll continue to enjoy RZ and keep my money in my pocket until I see a few more things come down the pipe and hope they aren't from movies or bands where half the cast is dead or geriatric...

Curiously you did not mention Wizard of Oz, Houdini or Alien in your hatefest. All pretty old themes as well.

That is just how it goes with this market filled with mostly older folks. Even with some young ones in the hobby...how many can afford a pin or even have a house to put it in?

Quit your bitching and just get a Walking Dead already. That should fit in your lineup very well.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm def not poking at Alien. Just using my favorite quote to express my excitement with AS!

Haters are gonna hate Iceman. You say something positive about Stern and you are going to be surrounded by the Stern haters club all yielding pitchforks. It's weird and I don't get it but it is what it is. Seems to me like they should find another hobby but that's just me.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Haters are gonna hate Iceman. You say something positive about Stern and you are going to be surrounded by the Stern haters club all yielding pitchforks. It's weird and I don't get it but it is what it is. Seems to me like they should find another hobby but that's just me.

And then you'll have the apologists for anything and everything that goes wrong for others.

If you put a picture of an empty assembly line of Stern can you imagine the shitstorm?

Or the excuses when a different manufacturer PF looks beat to shit and magnet wear is awful

At the end of the day it all works out the way it's supposed to

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And then you'll have the apologists for anything and everything that goes wrong for others.
    If you put a picture of an empty assembly line of Stern can you imagine the shitstorm?
    Or the excuses when a different manufacturer PF looks beat to shit and magnet wear is awful
    At the end of the day it all works out the way it's supposed to

Those playfields you are talking about Iceman are just Prototypes........don't even worry about it dude because it's all worked out now and there will be no problems from now on!

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You say I'm F**** up in the head Procrastinator but look at your avatar that you so proudly display. Umm....yeah, that makes a lot of sense there buddy

Haha, it's funny, but I could literally post the same image again in reply to your post. I'm afraid it will draw out the same response though....

#119 6 years ago

Why would Stern even release Star Wars next when May 9th 2017 marks the 25th Anniversary of the final episode of Golden Girls?

It's obvious to anyone who isn't drunk on Zimas by Thursday afternoon, which pin will be announced next.

goldengirls (resized).jpggoldengirls (resized).jpg

#120 6 years ago

I'm sitting here reading this (at work) thinking to myself, between work, family life and responsibilities, housework, and actually playing/flipping pinball, when do these 'super' posters actually have time to play and enjoy their machines? Do they have a laptop setup on a table next to their pins and post in between games?

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

I'm sitting here reading this (at work)...

That's when the majority of posters post during the week. You don;t have to ponder very far to get your answer.

#122 6 years ago

But isn't work usually 8-10 hours a day? haha Just sayin'...

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

I'm sitting here reading this (at work) thinking to myself, between work, family life and responsibilities, housework, and actually playing/flipping pinball, when do these 'super' posters actually have time to play and enjoy their machines? Do they have a laptop setup on a table next to their pins and post in between games?

Now if I had my pins at work

#124 6 years ago

I was very, very surprised how much I liked playing AS. The theme, as far as I'm concerned, sucks big time. I see the appeal for the hand drawn art - it is very nice - but not my particular cup of tea. Absolutely loved the LCD integration and animations - very well done and will only (hopefully) continue to get better with each new release. As much as I liked playing it, it would not be a machine I would buy. Constantly hearing AS songs and seeing the theme seal that deal for me. However, I would not hesitate to dump some coin into it on location!!

BM66 caught my eye for a bit - definitely like the theme and art as well as the LCD integration. Played it and quickly lost all interest.

For me, right now, Stern is not making "great" pinball. Overall, recent themes are lukewarm at best for me. Too many music/band based themes. Factor in the QC / code stuff and it'll have to be a homerun for me to buy a new Stern. I'm sincerely hoping SW is that homerun... I'll gladly pony up for a NIB Stern SW - ready and willing to spend the cheddar if they do the theme justice.

All that doesn't mean I don't see "issues" with the other players.... Not a fan, at all, of JJP's DI theme. Played it once and didn't bond. Maybe after more time on it, it'll click. Love the theme of TH, but I'm really ticked that JJP has gone off the grid with any information regarding subsequent code updates/polish. Code support for WOZ was definitely on another level, and current TH owners are hoping - honestly begging - for similar support. The silence is deafening. As for Heighway, love both themes they have - have played neither. Hoping to get a shot at one, the other or both during Pinfest - not holding my breath. Spooky - love AMH theme-wise, never played it. Like RZ as far as a theme, but also never played it. Alice Copper - about as much chance of me getting an AC as there is of me getting a new Stern Kiss... No thanks.

Will be looking at some pre-existing games soon. Iron Man, Tron, some B titles, etc. Also interested in an EM. Ultimately, I would say it is a great time to be a pinball enthusiast!

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

But isn't work usually 8-10 hours a day? haha Just sayin'...

Ha yes but not always the same 8-10 hours for everyone. I work till 8pm and I can tell you at 5pm there is a serious drop off of all posts.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What is your def of great? Nothing?

AC/DC, met, lotr are extremely good games that I would consider great. Next tier down you have some really good games like TWD, SM, Tron, and IM. Then you have a pile of games that are fun, but far from great and many wouldn't even be considered good to most. Average everything out and for the most part stern makes good games, far from great though.

#127 6 years ago

You want something positive about Stern?

My Stars is pretty great.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

All time Classic

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Then if I consider my friends in that same radius, I can also add...
    IM
    GB Prem
    ST Prem
    XM LE
    Met Pro
    ACDC Luci
    Kiss Pro
    TWD Pro
    Avengers Pro
    GOT Pro
    FG
    Aerosmith Pro
    Tron LE

That radius of games looks very similar to my Stern lineup ... I used to have a RBION too

#130 6 years ago

Did somebody say STARS?!

When the hell are they gonna wake up and put out a Stars3K?

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That radius of games looks very similar to my Stern lineup ... I used to have a RBION too

And I omitted 2 other friends in the area as well as I forget if their Stern models were redundant on my list... and my old HRC is just outside the 20min radius I mentioned in my example.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I don't care if they tickle my nuts while playing

Coming soon from the Stern Store ...

rd

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Just landed this ex Los Angeles.

"I am the GREATEST!!"

rd

IMG_5743 (resized).JPGIMG_5743 (resized).JPG

IMG_5746 (resized).JPGIMG_5746 (resized).JPG

#134 6 years ago

I would love to have one of these!

Passed on one recently local because the BG was just toast.

I like how there are 6 Alis on the backglass.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would love to have one of these!
    Passed on one recently local because the BG was just toast.
    I like how there are 6 Alis on the backglass.

You can never have enough Alis.

rd

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Also had zero intention on Star Wars but after seeing the LCD, lighting and sound upgrade for the second time I'm on the list

Youve seen star wars lcd and heard the sound? Where? Shoot me a link.

#137 6 years ago

New Star Wars pin will sell based on license alone.

IMG_2598 (resized).JPGIMG_2598 (resized).JPG

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

New Star Wars pin will sell based on license alone.

For sure, I'm glad I'm not a Star Wars fan though because my bank account needs a break!

Waiting for Elvira..........

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

For sure, I'm glad I'm not a Star Wars fan though because my bank account needs a break!
    Waiting for Elvira..........

What? Your not buying the new Stern Star Wars! Booooo hiss booooo what a Stern hater.
    Insert who-dey personal attack
    Insert who-dey crazy rant
    Insert who-dey there are no QC issues

#140 6 years ago

Iceman you ain't got no time to be Pinsidin....Say yer teary goodbyes and get my new baby wrapped up nice and tight!
    Gonna be the LONGEST 2 weeks ever.
    Fwiw... Violent Steve and I went to the Super Awesome Arcade last night in Columbus (which just happens to actually be super awesome) and played the shit outta AS. Gotta say it's a damn fun machine, really is. The light show is long overdue, trippy, and amazing even on the pro. Will own one day.

#141 6 years ago

Long time Stern lover. Owned games originated from 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 with few issues and nothing to complain about.

Then came my NIB was Avengers LE. It was riddled with so many design and QC problems it was all I could do to make the game playable, which I did, and in spite of everything, I loved it. That said, it opened my eyes and made me reflect on what I expected out of a 5- $7,000 Pinball machine.

What's been going on with Stern the last 12-18 months with peeling decals, ghosting inserts, faulty mechs, questionable design issues, separating cabinets, general cheapening of components, not to mention the ever present code issues (and I'm sure I've missed other things, although I don't count "dimpling", which is a bullshit complaint IMO) has had an even greater impact. Your damn right it influences my decision to buy NIB, regardless of how inspired I am by some of their titles. Star Wars though? Yawn.

I'd love to pull the trigger on Aerosmith, or GB, but I'm not going to, until Stern demonstrates more attention to detail and a commitment to turning out a higher quality product. I know they can, and when they do they'll earn my trust and my money. Until then, I'll examine my other vendor options and enjoy all the older games that are available.

Message to Stern: DO BETTER!

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

played the shit outta AS. Gotta say it's a damn fun machine, really is. The light show is long overdue, trippy, and amazing even on the pro.

Damnit, all this talk about AS has me seriously considering ....uggg .... I have a hard time even writing this...

trading MET Prem for AS.

I feel dirty...

#143 6 years ago

I've owned

Gottlieb
    Stern
    Data East
    Sega
    Bally
    Williams
    Capcom
    JJP
    Heighway

They are all fun!

Life is too short to bitch all the time.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Damnit, all this talk about AS has me seriously considering ....uggg .... I have a hard time even writing this...
    trading MET Prem for AS.
    I feel dirty...

DON'T DO IT!!! You will miss Metallica. Save up and get one later. They will be making AS for a while. We know people that have AS and can play anytime.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Iceman you ain't got no time to be Pinsidin....Say yer teary goodbyes and get my new baby wrapped up nice and tight!
    Gonna be the LONGEST 2 weeks ever.
    Fwiw... Violent Steve and I went to the Super Awesome Arcade last night in Columbus (which just happens to actually be super awesome) and played the shit outta AS. Gotta say it's a damn fun machine, really is. The light show is long overdue, trippy, and amazing even on the pro. Will own one day.

It's hard saying goodbye to greatness! And my AC/DC is a beauty

That's why I didn't get it done last night. I was unboxing and playing AS

Packaged up tonight for you!

I have to figure out how to unarchive and pay Pinside fee too

#146 6 years ago

I don't usually comment on these type of threads. But stopped into a place when we were in Florida called The Pinball Lounge. What a awesome lineup. Met, BM66, GB, AS, GOT, Tron, AFM and other great pins. GB was cool GOT not my cup of tea MET was cool BM66 beautiful machine but AS was awesome looks great played great. I'm no Stern fan but damm they have put some cool pins out. So stop bashing and start flipping

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from kuelman:

...But stopped into a place...So stop bashing and start flipping

Yeah it's a lot easier not to give a shit aboot quality control when it isn't your 5K+ per game

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah it's a lot easier not to give a shit aboot quality control when it isn't your 5K+ per game

Hey I buy what I have room for. I can't have them all just don't have the room. Yes I do play a lot on location. But every JJP pin I have seen on location has something broken or not working on it. Most of the Sterns seem to play well. BTW I'm a huge Williams Bally fan.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

trading MET Prem for AS.
    I feel dirty...

Already done. MOPLE out, ASLE in. And I do feel dirty, like I've done something unthinkable. Even as I type I'm cringing.

Metallica is brilliant, one of, if not THE best Stern ever. But even the best games get boring after 4 years home use in a small / medium sized collection.

With a smallish collection, you can't be a collector. You need to play the games over and over. If one is getting old, time to move it on. And Metallica has outlasted every single game I've owned.

I know absolutely AS will not be as good a game as MET, but AS will get played constantly for the next few months, then it will be time for that to go also. If I want to chase another MET, it will either still be in production or there are plenty of nice HUO's floating around. In my previous experience, once they're out the door, they don't come back.

Except for AC/DC, that's been back twice. Oh, and I wouldn't mind IM back again. Sh*t. I feel dirty selling Metallica.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Long time Stern lover. Owned games originated from 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 with few issues and nothing to complain about.
    Then came my NIB was Avengers LE. It was riddled with so many design and QC problems it was all I could do to make the game playable, which I did, and in spite of everything, I loved it. That said, it opened my eyes and made me reflect on what I expected out of a 5- $7,000 Pinball machine.
    What's been going on with Stern the last 12-18 months with peeling decals, ghosting inserts, faulty mechs, questionable design issues, separating cabinets, general cheapening of components, not to mention the ever present code issues (and I'm sure I've missed other things, although I don't count "dimpling", which is a bullshit complaint IMO) has had an even greater impact. Your damn right it influences my decision to buy NIB, regardless of how inspired I am by some of their titles. Star Wars though? Yawn.
    I'd love to pull the trigger on Aerosmith, or GB, but I'm not going to, until Stern demonstrates more attention to detail and a commitment to turning out a higher quality product. I know they can, and when they do they'll earn my trust and my money. Until then, I'll examine my other vendor options and enjoy all the older games that are available.
    Message to Stern: DO BETTER!

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-game-over-man-alien-looks-great-but-stern-pinball/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.