• Latest reply 9 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

What a Friday evening! Picked up an untested, not working Tri Zone today and when I got it home, I did the usual inspections. No battery damage, connections looked good, Didn't see any red flags. Turned the game on and went into test mode. (Expected result after replacing batteries.) Now when you turn on the game it starts a game without hitting the start button. When you hit one of the pop bumpers it adds credits another one resets. I literally almost fell over we were laughing so hard. We got out the schematics and followed wires. reseated ROMS, removed boards and checked voltages, transistors and for the life of us we can't figure out what we are missing here. The start button does nothing. When in test mode, nothing can be adjusted. The button to advance works, just can't change any values. The switch from forward to back also works but the reset high score or start button doesn't do anything when in test.

Its a mystery

#2 9 years ago

So all the transistor tests, wire traces, stuck switches, etc all check out ok?

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like some major switch matrix problems. Firstly don't limit your testing to looking for things that have failed, who knows what the prior owner did to the game. I would inspect the entire game and look for previous work.

Check all the connectors and make sure they're installed correctly (in the right spot and not shifted over a pin). Can you get into diag? If you can I would remove the row and column connectors and then jumper from each row to each column and see if the correct switches indicate closed. Pinwiki probably has a procedure for this.

Note: You may have to power the game on and then pull the row and column connectors (not sure on a system 6).

If you can't get into diag I would start with troubleshooting the coin door switches. These can also be manually fired on the CPU board with jumpers also.

Edit: Also check the wires on the row and column connectors to make sure they're installed in the correct positions (the switch matrix diagram and cpu schematic will help with this).

#4 9 years ago

Question #1 in fixing any system 3-7 game:

Have you replaced the 40 pin connector?

#6 9 years ago

Afternoon,

So today I spent some more time on this game and I figured out that if there are no credits the game goes into attract mode. If there is a credit it starts a game when powered up. Pop bumpers tilt, restart, add credits. It always has 2222222 on the displays 3 & 4. Start button does nothing at all.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#7 9 years ago

Until you check / replace all the connector header pins trouble shooting is crap.

1 month later
#8 9 years ago

I was just reading the matrix diagram for that game and if you already checked for missaligned board plugs its possible that somebody repinned the green wires and they could have gotten the grn-brn and grn-red wires transposed. If so you could get the exact effect as the jet bumpers would trigger as credit, credit and slam tilt. With a game running trigger top roll over A and the Outhole, if either triggers a tilt warning or tilt while the actuall tilt mechs trigger scores then start checking for the transposed or shorted grn-brn grn-red wires.

#9 9 years ago

This sounds like a classic case of mismatched connectors between the head and playfield. I'm talking about the big 24 or so pin connectors. The only other simple thing I can think of is swapped connectors on the driver board. I think every header is 9 pins so if keys have been removed it would be easy to put connectors in the wrong place.

#10 9 years ago

Do you have a picture of what one would look like so I can color match them? Maybe thats all it is.

#11 9 years ago

Just match the wire colors. Sometimes the connectors are not color matched.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-a-mess-tri-zone-start-up-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.