Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Maken
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

keeper_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I see "keeper" thrown around quite a bit and I've got a couple machines I would call keepers as well but I'm curious how many of you have gone on to sell a game that you considered a keeper at one point? I thought TAF was a keeper but it turns out that Luci was more enticing and I had to sell TAF to get it. Some people seem to have enough space that this is less of an issue, but many of us have limited funds or space and thus at times we're forced to sell the ones we love for ones we love more (Or other times those keepers turn out to lose novelty, just over a longer time span). I figure my collection is small enough (5) that I will probably trade out most of them down the road but right now in my head 3 are pretty much keepers that I'd like to hold on to. I can see that changing in 2 - 3years though haha.

So.. who's sold what was once a keeper, what was it, and why did it have to go? Did you pick another up down the road? Regret you let it go?

#2 7 years ago

Sold my pins when we moved from apartment to house. Strange Science was a keeper for my wife, Pinbot for me. Ended up buying both again, but they aren't in nearly as nice shape as the ones I let go.

F-14 was a game I had a love/hate relationship with. Didn't care for it in the arcade, then bought one and fixed it up really nice and said it was a keeper. Then one day a switch went off and I said it was time for it to go. Still like it, but have no desire to own another one.

#3 7 years ago

I sold two gamesIi never intended to part with....funhouse and fishtales....to get my first NIB metprem. I miss both games very much, but don't regret the move. Metallica is an awesome game and the timing was meant to be. I think I will end up with funhouse again someday.

#4 7 years ago

Keeper? There's no such thing. Enough money can buy any of my crap.

#5 7 years ago

I call them keeper games in all of my for sale ads.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I knew a guy that had a 2nd hand store. He had display cases with nice stuff. He would pick a watch out of the case and wear it. If he had a buyer that was indecisive about buying a watch, he would offer to sell the guy "his own personal watch" off his wrist. He sold "his own personal watch" many times. LOL.

#7 7 years ago

Called my STTNG a "keeper" as well as "my holy grail". It stayed for a number of years but just wasn't getting played as much as my tastes changed. Was a little sad to let it go but it was time.

#8 7 years ago

Every pinball machine has an expiration date, even the keepers. Sometimes it is 100 plays, other times it's 5000 plays, but they all get there eventually.

I've sold keepers. I've sold games that I thought were "The best game evah!!" But once they get stale, well, somebody else will probably think it's the best game evah after they buy it.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

right now in my head 3 are pretty much keepers that I'd like to hold on to.

OP, what are those 3?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

My favorite FS ads must contain all of the following

"It's a keeper"
    "Great flow"
    "Look @ all the mods"
    "In no hurry to sell"
    "No shipping"
    "Price is firm"
    "Willing to ship"
    "Price drop this weekend only"
    "Price drop"
    "Price drop"
    "OBO"
    "Game still available"

Also it needs a circle jerk of "great game" & "great price" bumps by people who own the same title. It's important to list the used game FS at the same price you paid shipped NIB

#11 7 years ago

It's a keeper!

keeper_(resized).jpgkeeper_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

My MMr (The game I played a ton of in 98-2000 in the arcade. I passed up buying one back then. And regretted it ever since. Very nostalgic for me.

My Interflip Dragon. (Too good of shape and too much fun at parties to let go of.)

Pinbot (2nd one after regrettably selling the first)
    And a game me and my best friend since I was 8 played like crazy at the local 7-11. And later when it came out on the Nintendo.
    Nostalgia again.

Only maybe...someday, I might consider selling my IMVE. But something great would have to come along.

And the Ghostbusters I have right now I have no attachment to. It's on loan to me. It will be gone once my friends house is finished.

Overall all the games I own right now are keepers. I honestly can't think of any games out there that I simply must own at the moment. Or a good reason to part with the games I have.

I have played most of the top 100 games and can say that I'm glad I got to play them, but I don't want or need to own any of them. Besides the pins I have.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

My favorite FS ads must contain all of the following

"Minty Keeper"

#14 7 years ago

IJ was a keeper for years, as well as Corvette. But then I beat Corvette and never really wanted to play it again. I sold the IJ for my ACDC.

#15 7 years ago

Well I still own IJ, Flash Gordon and AFM so my keepers are the last ones to leave or sure.

#17 7 years ago

I get too attached unless I just absolutely have to

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

And the Ghostbusters I have right now I have no attachment to. It's on loan to me. It will be gone once my friends house is finished.

Wow! Nice of you to hold on to it for your friend like that haha, that's a sweet deal!

Quoted from erak:

My Interflip Dragon. (Too good of shape and too much fun at parties to let go of.)

Never played that one or even heard of it.. gonna have to look it up now.

Quoted from PW79:

Also it needs a circle jerk of "great game" & "great price" bumps by people who own the same title.

HAHAHAha that's awesome I love it. So true. I think you nailed almost every for sale ad that has a positive tone about it with all those quotes. The other 50% are all the typical price police FS ads. They pretty much have to swing one way or the other.

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

OP, what are those 3?

Right now -- Sopranos, Luci, & TS. Wh2o I haven't played enough to make a decision on and WCS94 is slated to get a make-over ala the Minions pinball thread (different theme, but same idea).

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

haven't sold a game yet.

But you will Which did you start with and how long have you had it? Looks like you spent a little more each time then went all out on WOZ.. I did the same.. gotta work up to it. Never thought I would spend $8k on a pinball when I put down $300 for my non-working firepower in the beginning but it snowballed quickly!

#20 7 years ago

I had my Pinball Magic for more than 15 years and thought I'd never get rid of it. It was my first, it was the game I really learned to play on, and it was the game we had in the bar I worked at in college, so it had some sentimental value. But I did everything you can do on that game and she stopped getting played. Space is at a premium out here, so I eventually let her go. I do miss her, but I know she wouldn't get played enough to justify a spot in my row, so I'm glad someone else gets to enjoy her.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

But you will Which did you start with and how long have you had it? Looks like you spent a little more each time then went all out on WOZ.. I did the same.. gotta work up to it. Never thought I would spend $8k on a pinball when I put down $300 for my non-working firepower in the beginning but it snowballed quickly!

i know what you mean! my wife thought i was crazy spending $1300 for "one game" when you could get a state of the art game system and dozens of games for that price. Of course, there really is no comparison. owning and maintaining a pin is an amazing experience and a ton of fun.

i started with Black Hole and absolutely feel in love with it -- and that's the problem. i get really emotionally attached to these things, especially once i get my hands dirty pulling them apart and putting them back together. i know it's silly, but i feel guilty if i go downstairs to play them, and i favor one over the other. i make sure i play all four at least once, so they don't get jealous of each other, haha.

STTNG was my second pin, and i always knew it was my holy grail. i'm a huge fan of that game and a huge fan of that show. i've done soooo much work on it. it will never leave. i can guarantee that. Funhouse came next, because i found one that was just absolutely perfect condition -- better than NiB. and then came WOZ, which is an absolute marvel, and adored by the whole family.

but you are right -- someday i probably will sell one. i have no idea which, though. maybe the first to go will be one i don't even own yet. i don't want to think about it.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Never played that one or even heard of it.. gonna have to look it up now.

Watch the PAPA video of Bowen and Co. horsing around playing. Super fast pop bumper action and just a brutal, brutal game.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Right now -- Sopranos, Luci, & TS. Wh2o I haven't played enough to make a decision on and WCS94 is slated to get a make-over ala the Minions pinball thread (different theme, but same idea).

I have TS and WCS94 ( plus EBD, EBC) ...TS is a fantastic game! It probably has the longest legs in my current collection. Lots to do and very challenging. Had since September and have yet to get to Final Battle. Actually just completed a mode to the end this week. I'm not that good! Haha! There are a few different ways to attack the game for points, and that's something I really like about a pinball.

WCS94....can get to Germany on pretty regular basis now. Had for a year now. My daughter is into soccer and non-pinheads can score goals and feel like they accomplished something. It's in great condition, too. Even though I wouldn't mind having its space for a different game, the reasons above make it a keeper for the foreseeable future.

#24 7 years ago

Well I can tell you that my Mustang Pro is a KEEPER for sure.....same as my Mustang car which just celebrated it 46th Birthday May 1st.

#25 7 years ago

You know its a keeper when you have been offered a very generous offer to purchase the machine and you respectfully decline.

#26 7 years ago

I understand the concept but even the games I don't want to sell... every item has it's price.

I won my Space Shuttle in a tournament and I would not sell it for twice what they typically sell for in similar condition. It's the ultimate trophy. If money was no object though, I would let it go.

Any machine I own after that is replaceable but some of the games I own I really busted my balls to get, driving all over the country, shopping and fixing them up and such. That is the part of the hobby that money can't really pay for, in my humble opinion. Once you get a game playing exactly how you want it to play, that can be very hard to exactly recreate. It's something that $ can't buy.

Another perfect example is my Funhouse. It is a monster. The most beat down Funhouse I have ever seen. So much so that it has homemade assemblies and fixes that give it some serious charm. It is an import machine and has at least 50,000 plays on it, probably more. The point is that the game plays perfect and is VERY difficult. It's all original (cept for rubber and flipper assemblies) and has absolutely no new parts on it. It looks like your typical routed and beat down game but it plays fantastic. The ultimate sleeper that will hand you your ass. If I try to sell it, I would not get much for it. It's way more valuable to me, exactly the way it sits.

There are too many restoration and perfection queens in pinball. It bothers me when someone tries to restore an original game that is an 8 or 9 out of 10 condition wise. Makes no sense to me at all.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i know what you mean! my wife thought i was crazy spending $1300 for "one game" when you could get a state of the art game system and dozens of games for that price. Of course, there really is no comparison. owning and maintaining a pin is an amazing experience and a ton of fun.

Yep-- pretty much same here, makes it hard to work up to a nib but once you finally get there a 4K machine seems perfectly reasonable unfortunately my wife doesn't like acdc music so in retrospect I probably should have gone for the woz too.

I predict that black hole going at some point though.. I spent a year completely repainting a firepower Playfield, clearing it, cleaning up everything, repainting cab, etc.. And by the time I finished I had 3 more pins I liked better and ended up selling it to make space for another haha

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

.TS is a fantastic game! It probably has the longest legs in

Yes -- just overall fantastic sounds, cool art, fun shots and seems not to get old as generally ball times are not too long. I love the divertors too, I wish more games had something like that.

#29 7 years ago

I agree that what might have been a "keeper" eventually might have to go to make room for more "keepers", lol

#30 7 years ago

The only thing that stops me from selling any of my "keepers" is the fear I'll never be able to replace it in as nice condition. Or, in the case of my TRON:LE, being the original owner. Even if I got another one, it would never be "mine".

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Haven't sold a game yet.

Me neither. The 13 pins in my game room are all keepers that I either specifically asked distributors to look for because I wanted them (CFTBL + IJ + TZ + W?D) or that I hunted down myself (ToM proto + SS + AFM + MB) or that I purchased NIB (BBB + RFM + SW:E1 + Mustang premium + Stern Playboy).

The 3 pins outside my game room aren't keepers to me. They were just opportunity buys all purchased in 1997 ('94 Baywatch + minty '96 Barb Wire less than a year old + '97 X-files as a NIB closeout). But I've never considered selling any of them because I like pinball and the prices they would bring aren't enough to tempt me.

#32 7 years ago

I thought HS2 was a keeper until I understood my tastes better and how restricting limited pin space would eventually become, so I sold it.

My current keepers are games I can't replace in their current condition without spending additional months of my life. I have thousands of dollars and months of restoration in my TZ. I spent 2 years searching for TX-Sector. I only have so long to live, so I don't want to go through that again.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Then one day a switch went off and I said it was time for it to go.

was that the switch that lit up the playfield and exposed the fact that all those wire forms are nothing but eye candy or the one that made you realize it was nothing but two duplicate sets of standups and a kickback?

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Watch the PAPA video of Bowen and Co. horsing around playing.

And that one isn't even set up that hard.

Yeah it's always space vs monies. When I had fewer games I always had space, but you run out and it forces you to make a decision. And when you get into newer games it's straight cash homie. Only way to afford GB was to sell MET and on down the line.

#35 7 years ago

For me: ST Premium and LOTR
    Thought they were both long term keepers but after a while they both began to become tiresome. At my skill level the wizard modes just too far away to even hope of getting to one day. Themes were good but just couldn't pass up the games that replaced them... I like to be able to actually accomplish some of the goals so more straightforward rules and not super deep games seem to suit me better.

#36 7 years ago

All my DMDS were keepers.

Hahahahahahah!!!!!!

2 weeks later
    #37 7 years ago

WCS94 was a keeper becasue the rest of my family are all soccer fanatics and my wife and I actually attended the 1994 World Cup. Here was the problem....none of them play pinball.....gone!

HS2 was a keeper and a pin I had wanted for a decade......it lasted a few years....and I still like the game. ST Pro was another "keeper" and one I still love....but something had to go to bring in something new.

I don't foresee IJ or STTNG leaving (they are both all time classics to me).....but I never say never (anymore).

#38 7 years ago

Well, TZ was a "keeper" for me until I needed to raise some fast cash to help me buy my classic car. Still miss that game and want another one some day. IJ was a keeper until I didn't play it much anymore and needed granite for our kitchen.....see a pattern here? I now have new keepers...my MM is NEVER going anywhere because at the time my fiancé helped me buy it and it was at our wedding reception.....my Embryon is a keeper since it is HUO and WAY too nice to ever get rid of....my firepower is a keeper since it is one of my favorite pins, my fast draw is a keeper, my jungle lord is a keeper....my 300 is a keeper since that is the first pin my fiancé and I played at Expo 2007....most of mine are keepers....unless someone offers me stupid money for anything but the MM and 300.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

WCS94 was a keeper becasue the rest of my family are all soccer fanatics and my wife and I actually attended the 1994 World Cup. Here was the problem....none of them play pinball.....gone!

Hahaha love that - did any of them at least throw down some games on it before it left ?

3 weeks later
    #40 7 years ago

No Good Gofers, a family favorite.

#41 7 years ago

I will eventually sell something for space. Hope I don't need to sell for cash. I wouldn't mind selling a game if it gets replaced with something else.

#42 7 years ago

LOTR and ACDC, as I refuse to give up on getting to Valinor and Encore.

Once I get to the wizard modes, I may consider switching them up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-a-keeper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.