6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chippewa-Pin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

We've got two major, competitive companies making games for the first time in over a decade. Wizard of Oz looks great (and was fun considering the incomplete software.) Metallica looks like Stern's best effort in quite a while.

In some ways, it's a great time for this hobby.

#2 6 years ago

And a ton of smaller manufacturers also. It is a great time to love pinball.

#3 6 years ago

Totally agree. The future is so bright with LED's I need wielding goggles!

Let's hope JJP is able to prove a serious long term competitor for Stern and starts pumping out two games a year. That is what it will take from JJP to be a true competitor. Let's also hope the Predator boys are successful and get their game done and a skin on their wall and next time produce a game in larger quantities.

We need more manufacturers. It will drive down price, increase selection, and improve creativity.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

And a ton of smaller manufacturers also. It is a great time to love pinball.

Yeah! Hopefully more are able to achieve large-scale success.

Just as importantly, hopefully the onslaught of new pin fans allows for pinball to be successful on location again. I always make a point of playing a pin if I see one around town. Sometimes I even seek them out.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Just as importantly, hopefully the onslaught of new pin fans allows for pinball to be successful on location again

This would be huge. A return to location pinball would be a momentousness step in pinball. If that happens pinball will have a new golden age, no question.

#6 6 years ago

And new repro ramps, playfields and plastics coming all the time, to breathe new life into old games.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

And new repro ramps, playfields and plastics coming all the time, to breathe new life into old games.

And color DMD displays making older games that lack the color changing LED's tied to software feel more modern. What is old is new again.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Totally agree. The future is so bright with LED's I need wielding goggles!

What would Christian Slater have to say about this?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

We've got two major, competitive companies making games for the first time in over a decade. Wizard of Oz looks great (and was fun considering the incomplete software.) Metallica looks like Stern's best effort in quite a while.
    In some ways, it's a great time for this hobby.

Couldn't agree more!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

That'd totally escaped my mind. Excellent point!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

This would be huge. A return to location pinball would be a momentousness step in pinball. If that happens pinball will have a new golden age, no question.

It may be because I'm looking for it now more than I was a few years ago, but I feel like I've noticed the number of pins on location increasing slowly around Columbus.

#12 6 years ago

Don't forget heighway pinball and spooky pinball. Both making original theme games.

#13 6 years ago

Full Throttle (Heighway Pinball) looks really fast! Wonder how many they are going to make.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Two of the last places in my area (one a bowling alley) have removed the last machines they had. One of my fave games Nascar, was replaced with a stack-em prize machine

It's a niche, There will be hobbyist arcades here and there but as far as money making on location on a broad scale in places like pins in bars, bowling alleys and such - I don't think you will see any 'new golden age'.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

people aren't taking these classics for granted anymore and are trying to preserve a precious commodity as best as possible

#16 6 years ago

pinball Yehhhhhhhhhhaaaa

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Let's hope JJP is able to prove a serious long term competitor for Stern and starts pumping out two games a year. That is what it will take from JJP to be a true competitor. Let's also hope the Predator boys are successful and get their game done and a skin on their wall and next time produce a game in larger quantities.
    We need more manufacturers. It will drive down price, increase selection, and improve creativity.

I couldn't agree more! It's so great to see such recent successes from Stern and from "indie" designers - it really has rejuvenated the whole scene. JJP still needs to prove itself IMO, but I'm optimistic. If this trend keeps going and pinball manufacturing somehow becomes a viable industry once again, things might get real, real awesome!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

And the reason those things exist is in some ways because the hobby has become pricey. That money has opened up doors for people to provide support for the hobby. Just something to think about when the pinflation gets you down.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

And the reason those things exist is in some ways because the hobby has become pricey. That money has opened up doors for people to provide support for the hobby. Just something to think about when the pinflation gets you down.

Technology improving is helping too. Lots of people have metal cutters and some even have plastic printers. These items are being put to great use for the hobby.

By the way, thank you OP for starting a positive thread on pinside. There has been so much bickering lately, this thread was a nice breath of fresh air!

#20 6 years ago

so much going on you're right! looks promising!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

There has been so much bickering lately, this thread was a nice breath of fresh air!

Agreed!

#22 6 years ago

From the doom and gloom of late 1999, to now.

Great times and we get to witness them !

LTG : )

#23 6 years ago

Better now than never!

1 week later
    #24 6 years ago

I guess we can add Trudeau going to work for Stern to this list now

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

From the doom and gloom of late 1999, to now.
    Great times and we get to witness them !
    LTG : )

Right On Brother!!!

#26 6 years ago

I've brought a few classics back to the party that were in a warehouse, broken and neglected. Some of which have moved on to new owners to be played and enjoyed. That is the single greatest feeling I get about the hobby more than anything. I wish I could save them all.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I guess we can add Trudeau going to work for Stern to this list now

Agree that that is good news. I was not in the "Gomez hating" camp . . . but his games are the ones I have looked forward to the least lately and I'm glad he is going to be able to focus on upper management and not playfield designs.

Now, if only Stern could get Pat to come back and do one more game too!!! I know that dude has been thinking up some cool stuff the past few years. I want to see it!

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Technology improving is helping too. Lots of people have metal cutters and some even have plastic printers. These items are being put to great use for the hobby.
    By the way, thank you OP for starting a positive thread on pinside. There has been so much bickering lately, this thread was a nice breath of fresh air!

after seeing the 3d printer plastic gun recently I was wondering if it's possible with a 3d printer to actually print your own repro ramps and plastics? Anyone tried? A future where it's as simple as downloading a file and printing out your own parts would be awesome even if they aren't as durable and long lasting

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Now, if only Stern could get Pat to come back and do one more game too!!! I know that dude has been thinking up some cool stuff the past few years. I want to see it!

Could you imagine if he did? Everyone would go apespit! Talk about a game selling out fast!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

after seeing the 3d printer plastic gun recently I was wondering if it's possible with a 3d printer to actually print your own repro ramps and plastics? Anyone tried? A future where it's as simple as downloading a file and printing out your own parts would be awesome even if they aren't as durable and long lasting

I'm definitely going to print a set of these Gottlieb flippers! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1789

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That would be wonderful!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agree that that is good news. I was not in the "Gomez hating" camp . . . but his games are the ones I have looked forward to the least lately and I'm glad he is going to be able to focus on upper management and not playfield designs.

Yeah, Gomez is a good guy, just a little past his prime.

Trudeau, Lawlor, and Ritchie under one roof... That would be a dream come true.

#33 6 years ago

If only they could get Brian Eddy to make some new pins as well...

#34 6 years ago

Yes, it is a great time for pinball. I'm excited about the innovations we're starting to see and can't wait to see what's coming next!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside