DSC00587-cropped (resized).jpg
DSC00571-cropped (resized).jpg
DSC00587-cropped (resized).jpg
DSC00580-cropped (resized).jpg
1f915c593e9118cbc5e7ba19c037a38db08f1ba7 (resized).jpg
flash-logo-before (resized).jpg
flash-backglass-ll-cropped (resized).jpg
flash-backglass original-cropped (resized).jpg
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

I originally tried diamond in the paint can as a brush-on. It was a disaster: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-diamond-finish-alternative-to-spraymax-2k#post-5064449

So I tried it just for inserts. It was a disaster also: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-diamond-finish-alternative-to-spraymax-2k#post-5076979

One of the posters thought it was because the paint-on product is different from the spray-on. So for my next one I decided to use only spray-on. But it’s not working either...grrr

I think I will give it a coat of spraymax as a new base to work with and see if that changes things.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I originally tried diamond in the paint can as a brush-on. It was a disaster: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-diamond-finish-alternative-to-spraymax-2k#post-5064449
So I tried it just for inserts. It was a disaster also: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-diamond-finish-alternative-to-spraymax-2k#post-5076979
One of the posters thought it was because the paint-on product is different from the spray-on. So for my next one I decided to use only spray-on. But it’s not working either...grrr
I think I will give it a coat of spraymax as a new base to work with and see if that changes things.

I couldnt get the diamond to lay smoothly. Tried different brushes and it still had bumpy feel to it. Not sure what I am doing incorrectly, but it felt really thick.

#53 4 years ago

Mark-
On the first page where you have the photos of before and after with the ME. It looks 100x better without the swirls. I am curious if its really lighter looking as well or if it was just the light in the photo.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Mark-
On the first page where you have the photos of before and after with the ME. It looks 100x better without the swirls. I am curious if its really lighter looking as well or if it was just the light in the photo.

The lighter color of the yellowy skin is the result of the flash differences. You can see in the later pics that it is still a pretty deep yellow. The lack of swirls is real, it took some deep cleaning and elbow-grease but I was able to pretty much eliminate the swirls. However as you can see from the pic, it also tends to remove some loose flakes, resulting in uneven results.

#55 4 years ago

Progress has been made. After re-touching up the black that was destroyed after the last try, I sprayed a light coat of SprayMax 2k (from the spraycan) into the unused area at the bottom of the playfield, after a minute with no visible reaction I sprayed the whole pf. It appears to be ok, I don't see any puckering/dimpling anywhere. I missed the 15-minute flash period so I have the heaters on and will do another coat tonight.

In other news, I have made real progress on the spinner. The original was pretty worn.After scanning it in, I cleaned up the image in photoshop and sent it to the Cameo for cutting. It was put on the freshly base-coated spinner and it looks pretty darn good!img-191030162404-001 (resized).jpgimg-191030162404-001 (resized).jpg IMG_4793 (resized).jpgIMG_4793 (resized).jpgIMG_4794 (resized).jpgIMG_4794 (resized).jpg

#56 4 years ago

I hope you can save all the files needed for the vinyl templates?. .That spinner turned out great..

#57 4 years ago

Which cameo do you have? I cant seem to get my cameo 2 to do such fine detail.

#58 4 years ago

Some progress but still a long way to go.

Since I have been having so many problems with the diamond clear, I junked it and I sprayed on a thick coat of spraymax 2K. I don't know if its surface tension or what but it refuses to flow down into the cracks around the inserts. Looks like its time to drip into the cracks.
IMG_4800 (resized).jpgIMG_4800 (resized).jpgIMG_4803 (resized).jpgIMG_4803 (resized).jpg

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Some progress but still a long way to go.
Since I have been having so many problems with the diamond clear, I junked it and I sprayed on a thick coat of spraymax 2K. I don't know if its surface tension or what but it refuses to flow down into the cracks around the inserts. Looks like its time to drip into the cracks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Surface tension, yes this is normal. If slight you can leave it be or spray into a cup and use an eyedropper to fill.

Let it dry and then sand flat.

#60 4 years ago

I have to admit, I enjoy the playfield touchups but NOT the clearcoating process. 2 days ago I dripped clear into the cracks.

And, surprise surprise, it made lots of bubbles but flowed OUT of the cracks. sigh...Here you can see the drip area but still the cracks are only partially filledDSC00182 (resized).jpgDSC00182 (resized).jpgIMG_4814 (resized).jpgIMG_4814 (resized).jpg

Today I carefully sanded it down, lost some black paint again, and re-droppered the clear into the cracks, sometimes it took 3 times as the cracks would slowly reappear.

Here is the "Shoot Again" light, after sanding, after the 1st dropper and the crack re-appeared, after the 3rd dropper.. I hope its gone for good.DSC00187 (resized).jpgDSC00187 (resized).jpg
DSC00188 (resized).jpgDSC00188 (resized).jpgDSC00190 (resized).jpgDSC00190 (resized).jpg

#61 4 years ago

Today I sanded the playfield down again (a very nerveracking process) until the paint started to go. I have obviously reached the point where I am not making any progress, as the "Shoot Again" light, after sanding down to the point where its starting to get the paint around the edge still looks like this:DSC00195-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00195-cropped (resized).jpg

Whatever process I am using does not work so thats going to be it. All of the arrows have their black edge paint gone and still have dropped edges so I am going to sand the playfield down as smooth as I can, put a final coat on it, polish it and leave it. I've reached the point where I am done with it.

#62 4 years ago

Mark I know it’s frustrating, but you can do it. Keep putting clear into the cracks using multiple coats until you get it. Are you using 2pac or something else? I had problems with bubbles when using Spraymax to fill cracks and level inserts. I had much better luck with a $40 can of auto clear. No bubbles or other issues with that. The Spraymax works great for an entire coat and I’ve had great results with it.

1 week later
#63 4 years ago

you must not dilute the clear coat
or use epoxy

P1070877 (resized).JPGP1070877 (resized).JPGP1070878 (resized).JPGP1070878 (resized).JPG
#64 4 years ago

update, I took a break and ordered a gallon of 2-part clear and threw my expired (but still full) $30 can of spraymax2k into the garbage...sigh

The new stuff is definitely thicker and I had high hopes when I dripped it on, however after a couple of days, it sank into the cracks as well.DSC00198 (resized).JPGDSC00198 (resized).JPGDSC00199-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00199-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00200-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00200-cropped (resized).jpg

Despite this, its better than it was in most cases and I went ahead and sanded them all down as best as I could. I have to say it is an immensly scary procedure, taking a sanding block to your playfield, knowing that you have to get it smooth but if you sand down a 1/1000 of an inch too far you can sand down into the color and ruin the playfield.

Still, I am ready to open another $30 can of spraymax2k and lay down a good layer over the playfield and see how it looks, I am hopeful it will be decent enough that all I will need is a light sanding and then a final coat ready for polishing.DSC00203 (resized).JPGDSC00203 (resized).JPGDSC00204 (resized).JPGDSC00204 (resized).JPGDSC00205 (resized).JPGDSC00205 (resized).JPG

#65 4 years ago

Don’t be discouraged I’ve filled insert 5 times before I was happy. You’ll get this.

#66 4 years ago

I have made real progress. Its getting close.
I was too worried about sanding through the clear and ruining the paint, so I decided to put another coat of clear on the playfield. I put a pretty thick coat on and it came out pretty amazing. DSC00207 (resized).JPGDSC00207 (resized).JPGDSC00209 (resized).JPGDSC00209 (resized).JPG

I really only have 2 areas of concern now, around the dang "Shoot Again" insert, its still got quite a noticable divot, also for some reason the flash insert developed an arc of bubbles that will need to be addressed, other than that I think I am close!
DSC00210 (resized).JPGDSC00210 (resized).JPGDSC00211 (resized).JPGDSC00211 (resized).JPG

#67 4 years ago

Interesting thread. I read it all the way thru.
I have cleared with Varethane and 2K.

I admire your determination.
Please do not get discouraged because if you look at the photos at the beginning and look where you are now, you are light years ahead.
Stick with it and you will not be disappointed.
CC

#68 4 years ago

Did you end up using the spraymax for the last coat?
Looks pretty good

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Did you end up using the spraymax for the last coat?

It was a thick coat of spraymax, about 1/2 of the can. Seems to have worked great. Its in the low 40's around here, 30's at night so I have set up a system where I run a space heater inside my paint booth in the garage and then open the garage door 1 foot and have 2 desk fans blowing out into the night. I have to worry about critters coming in but it keeps the table in the 70's or 80's all night!

After sanding it down, things are looking great. There are only 3 spots left that need a bit of work. I wouldn't have even done them but the "Shoot Again" still really needs some work:
IMG_4822 (resized).jpgIMG_4822 (resized).jpg

So, I set it all up again (mixed up the 2 part clear into a tiny cup) and dribbled some clear into the spots. We will see how it looks overnight after the clear dries.
IMG_4826 (resized).jpgIMG_4826 (resized).jpg

#70 4 years ago

Glad that’s working. When you sand that shoot again, please post what grits you cycle through.
Thanks. Nice work

#71 4 years ago

I don't want to make a 10000 post thread about my inserts...lol...so this is the last one about them.

Today, I checked on the clear, it had sunk down into the cracks again. The inserts are solid and its not dripping through, bizarre.IMG_4833 (resized).jpgIMG_4833 (resized).jpg

After sanding it down, the crack around the insert is still obvious:IMG_4837 (resized).jpgIMG_4837 (resized).jpg

I sanded it all the way down through the paint...sighIMG_4839 (resized).jpgIMG_4839 (resized).jpg

I don't know what is happening but its obviously not going to be fixed, so this is the end for this. I re-touched up the black and tomorrow I am putting the final coat of clear to be polished.IMG_4840 (resized).jpgIMG_4840 (resized).jpg

#72 4 years ago

Would a waterslide decal circle slightly larger than the insert almost up to the text of shoot again bridge that gap?

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Would a waterslide decal circle slightly larger than the insert almost up to the text of shoot again bridge that gap?

Interesting idea, decals are not strong, but it might hold up enough to allow a clear coat over it.

#74 4 years ago

Just spit balling here, but the surface tension in the clear might be keeping it from flowing down into such a small crack. Maybe you should try loading up a small syringe and injecting the clear into the crack.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Just spit balling here, but the surface tension in the clear might be keeping it from flowing down into such a small crack. Maybe you should try loading up a small syringe and injecting the clear into the crack.

That’s a good point, like the drops of clear are just sitting on top of the crack and the clear is basically just drying forming an air pocket. Then when sanded, it just reveals the same crack.

#76 4 years ago

Just a thought, but you are having a hard time filling the gap between the inserts and the playfield with clear coat. It seems there is a pocket of air forming which reveals itself after the sanding. And the sanding ends up removing paint also in the end.

Why not try to fill the gap with paint?! You can use a small brush inside the gap to remove the air and then sand it smooth after it has dried. Then put on the clear....

#77 4 years ago

Update coming in a couple days. I’ve pushed paint into the crack with brushes, I’ve pushed clear into the crack with q-tips...nothing seems to work. So I am trying a decal to cover it up. The decal is on and currently drying and looks to have bridged the gap. Since there is no strength to it, I need to spray a good layer of clear over it.. that will happen soon. I will post pics

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Update coming in a couple days. I’ve pushed paint into the crack with brushes, I’ve pushed clear into the crack with q-tips...nothing seems to work. So I am trying a decal to cover it up. The decal is on and currently drying and looks to have bridged the gap. Since there is no strength to it, I need to spray a good layer of clear over it.. that will happen soon. I will post pics

Build it up with several light layers. I’m told heavy amounts of clear at one time on a decal will eat it up.
Fingers crossed for you man!

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Just saying how owe expectations have changed in pinball with people doing more high end restores..
The bar has been escalated now we remove the mylar and if you are lucky minimal paint is removed ..

I personally think you have done a awesome job so far imop...

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

Just saying how owe expectations have changed in pinball with people doing more high end restores..
The bar has been escalated now we remove the mylar and if you are lucky minimal paint is removed ..
I personally think you have done a awesome job so far imop...

I agree. You’ve made this game so much better. Have enjoyed this thread, even through the frustration. Flash is such a cool game. They didn’t make a million of them for no reason

#81 4 years ago

2 steps forward, 1 step back....sigh

Giving up on using clear, I tried @mrm_4's suggestion and created a waterslide decal on the laser printer. I laid it down with plenty of fluid and it seemed to have gone on well, covering the crack and not looking too bad. I was worried about the juice used to get the decal to lay flat but when it dried it was almost gone and after a naptha wipedown it was completely gone.
DSC00214 (resized).JPGDSC00214 (resized).JPGDSC00215 (resized).JPGDSC00215 (resized).JPGDSC00216 (resized).JPGDSC00216 (resized).JPGDSC00219 (resized).JPGDSC00219 (resized).JPG

Thanks to mrm_4 again about using light coats of clear over the decal to start, so I spent sunday watching football and racing out during commercials, putting on all my protective gear, putting a light coat of paint on for 15 seconds, then reversing the process. I laid down 3 light coats of clear and let it dry overnight in my heated paint "tent"

It would appear to have worked, the decal area is covered over quite nicely and although it is raised ever so slightly, that is easily sanded down to flat.DSC00220-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00220-cropped (resized).jpg

What I started to sand it down, I noticed everything was bumpy, almost like a sandy texture and it covered the table!DSC00222-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00222-cropped (resized).jpg

My guess is that my can of spraymax2K finally expired. I had been keeping it in the fridge (much to my wifes dismay) but I guess it was too long.

I sanded the whole table down with 400 grit but I had to be careful as the decals only had 3 light coats over them and if I sanded into them the result would look terrible. So I did the best I could:DSC00225-cropped (resized).jpgDSC00225-cropped (resized).jpg

Then I opened my 3rd can of spraymax2k ($150 in clear between the cans of spraymax and the can of 2-part drippable clear) and put on a thick coat. I hope this is it, we will see how it looks tomorrow!

#82 4 years ago

Man I hope the next update is with good results I’m sorry your most recent clearcoat layer back fired :/

#83 4 years ago

I wonder if using a putty knife over the crack would have pushed the clear into the crack ?

#84 4 years ago

Maybe the clear isn’t able to adhere to the recessed area around the insert because it needs to somehow be abraded inside the ring/crack. When you block sand it’s making the surface smooth, but maybe the clear in the ring below the surface is still smooth and nothing sticks to it. Just a thought....

#85 4 years ago

#86 4 years ago

I talked to a guy at SprayMax and he said the can would be good for seven days after activation if kept in the fridge. The longest I tried was six.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I talked to a guy at SprayMax and he said the can would be good for seven days after activation if kept in the fridge. The longest I tried was six.

Looking back over the thread, it looks like I opened it 10 days ago.. one of the issues in having a problem is the time clock on the cans.... oh well.

I would call yesterdays coat of clear a qualified success. Of my two trouble spots, the "SHoot Again" looks quite good, I think it will sand down flat and be ok. The "Super Flash" crinkled up around the exact spot of the decal. Hopefully there is a thick enough coat of clear on it I can sand it flat.

DSC00227 (resized).JPGDSC00227 (resized).JPGDSC00228 (resized).JPGDSC00228 (resized).JPG
#88 4 years ago

I wonder if the spraymax could be forced into the crack by applying it and running a putty knife over it.
I have used the product and I doubt there is enough time before it flashes but for just one insert, it might be doable.

I am wrapping up a High Speed clear coat with spraymax. With die back, the outlines of the inserts are visible as hairline cracks but I plan on just leaving them.

#89 4 years ago

Posting an in-progress update. Although the garage is currently torn up to make a Christmas present, I needed to check the state of the playfield before my can of clear expired. I sanded it down with 400 grit and discovered that the "pucker" factor (see above) was not down into the clear in any meaningful way. After a sanding with 400 grit, it looks good to continue and try to get it polished. I can (finally) throw away my can(s) of clear!!!

DSC00235 (resized).JPGDSC00235 (resized).JPGDSC00236 (resized).JPGDSC00236 (resized).JPGDSC00237 (resized).JPGDSC00237 (resized).JPG
#90 4 years ago

Looks good.

#91 4 years ago

Finally, you caught a break.
Looks awesome.
Keep going and keep us posted.

I want a Flash.
I played several back when they were new.
The artwork was some of the best for the period.

1 week later
#92 4 years ago

Well, it took 89 days (How in the world does HEP do 3 of these per week?) but I am happy to report that my Flash playfield is finished.

Having sanded to 400 grit earlier, I spent 3 hours sanding at 800 then 1000,1500,2000,2500 - with a significant amount of the clear being sanded off with each step. I have to admit, I was a bit depressed at 2500 grit when it wasn't very shiny, I felt I had done something wrong and had no real idea what. I decided to run the polisher on half of it so I could get a comparison pic and post to see what ideas anyone had.

A while back, per a post on HEP's thread I purchased Meguiar's and then did some research to see what color pad was the proper one. You have to be careful, some colors are "cutting" discs and some are "polishing" ones. It turns out "yellow" is the proper disc (or possibly black) for polishing. Anyway, I set it all up, ran it for a while and darn if it didn't look good!

With real excitement I did the rest and although it is not perfect, it is really good and i believe the playfield is done!
800 grit800 gritlook how much comes off with each steplook how much comes off with each step2500 grit, not shiny yet2500 grit, not shiny yetnice and shiny!nice and shiny!

#93 4 years ago

Looks like glass. Great job.

#94 4 years ago

Looks fabulous.
Nice work and surely worth the effort.

#95 4 years ago

Wow, so much work, credit to you hanging in there & doing a great job

#96 4 years ago

Thanks guys. Currently prepping it for repopulation.. all the holes need the wax and gunk cleaned out. Interestingly, there are still dips around the inserts. Not enough to worry about but there

#97 4 years ago

A few pictures of how it turned out before I start putting things back on the playfield.restored bottom halfrestored bottom halfrestored top halfrestored top half

I have learned a bunch of things for the next time.

Interestingly, the divot around the "shoot again" never did fill in, it is still visible if you look closely for it. Also, there was a weird crinkling effect that happened in a couple of spots. Although I sanded it down and filled over it, it is still visible if you look carefully at the 5000 point light, and the 10,000 point light shows scratches that I don't really know where they came from:wierd ringswierd ringsscratches and crinkles visiblescratches and crinkles visible

Still,
I am happy with it, the black areas are black again, the ball swirls are gone, the playfield is flat and it is so much better than it was and I feel it is quite acceptablethe fully restored playfieldthe fully restored playfield

#98 4 years ago

Got to be happy with that !

Quoted from mark532011:

A few pictures of how it turned out before I start putting things back on the playfield.[quoted image][quoted image]
I have learned a bunch of things for the next time.
Interestingly, the divot around the "shoot again" never did fill in, it is still visible if you look closely for it. Also, there was a weird crinkling effect that happened in a couple of spots. Although I sanded it down and filled over it, it is still visible if you look carefully at the 5000 point light, and the 10,000 point light shows scratches that I don't really know where they came from:[quoted image][quoted image]
Still,
I am happy with it, the black areas are black again, the ball swirls are gone, the playfield is flat and it is so much better than it was and I feel it is quite acceptable[quoted image]

#99 4 years ago

Looks great

#100 4 years ago

Work continues on re-installing on the underside. Its not as sexy-looking as I did not trust my ability to get everything re-wired back up so I didn't replace/polish every single piece. I did the major assembilies such as the dropdowns, flippers and pop bumpers but the rest are mostly just cleaning and adjusting every contact.
DSC00261 (resized).JPGDSC00261 (resized).JPGDSC00264 (resized).JPGDSC00264 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-was-supposed-to-be-a-simple-flash-restore/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.