(Topic ID: 76485)

It should be mandatory to put your LOCATION along with your avatar thingy

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pbb.jpg
    pbr.jpg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

SOOOOOO annoying to have to ask location, location, location....

nuff said !

#2 10 years ago

Just ask once.

Then it won't be so annoying.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

I have a few people desperately trying to add location but having system issues. We're trying to figure it out for them, but I agree that it should be part of the standard account set-up so it goes in when you sign up.

#4 10 years ago

You only hurt yourself by not doing it. Time and time again people knowing I was local and offering to help me out with things has been super useful!

#5 10 years ago

Agree 100%

#6 10 years ago

Thumbs up Lloyd

#7 10 years ago

Agree %105 percent on this one. Double that if your selling in the marketplace.

#9 10 years ago

Blondetall is correct, I tried editing my location and the system will not add it correctly. I also tried it with multiple web browsers. Hopefully its worked out.

#10 10 years ago

Wiggy, at least you are showing in NY now. Below is directly from Robin when I was asking him about someone having issues:

He should go to
    http://pinside.com/pinball/map/pinsiders/emsinkc?a=1

Where he should be presented with the Add Location window on the map!

robin
    Pinside founder

Make sure he's not on IE because I'm not sure that works.

#11 10 years ago

You should at least have to put some type of general location. I can't even count how many WTB ads come up without a location. I understand some people prefer to keep private, but I don't think it's too much to ask to give some type of location. Hell, you can even make one up. I've driven halfway across the country looking for Hulktown for months now myself.

#12 10 years ago

Actually, many times if I see something I could fixed or have someone come by and I'll help you fix, I don't bother offering if it's unknown.

If I see it's someone local, you may get a 'Hey lets have coffee and look at that machine...."

If you local, and you need a ROM burned, a something looked at and you have the parts, bring coffee.

#13 10 years ago

The only thing that would be better then that, would be if they put there general location in the subject title when listing a game for sale. That way I'd know weather to even bother clicking on it at all. But we gotta crawl before we can run.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#14 10 years ago

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annoying . . .

#15 10 years ago

I really do not care either way unless they are selling on here. Then it at least needs stated if info not filled out.
    I think it is a privacy thing to some. Cannot click the info for them so what can you do??

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I think it is a privacy thing to some.

Yeah...God forbid we know were you live with your pinball machines.

Lord knows it's been a major PITA for John Dayhuff who also includes his phone number

#17 10 years ago

I had an incredible opportunity fall in my lap from someone who was a complete stranger (now a great friend) who probably would not have contacted me if he did not know I was local.

#18 10 years ago

I totally understand someone not wanting to put there city location, especially if they have a very nice or large collection of pinball machines.

It would be nice if some of the unknowns would at least put their state, and for city they could consider putting something like the region of the state. Example: western, NY

#19 10 years ago

For those of you living in larger populated cities, it's easier for you to remain anonymous. For those of us living in small towns, we stick out like sore thumbs sometimes. Personally, I don't care if you know where I live, but to others, they would prefer to keep that info private to some extent. Just remember to always keep things in perspective. In today's society, nothing is a secret and nothing is private. If someone wants to know something about you, the information is available..... BigB

#20 10 years ago

Blondetall, the issue I have seen is that when you try to add yourself to the map, in the bottom left hand side of the map it says Nothing Found Here when you try to add your location. Also the map appears blank when you try to move the blue circle to your location. If I manually type in my location, it shows the location but I cant proceed by adding it to my profile. I tried it with three different web browsers. (IE, Google, and Firefox). Also just tried it on my IPad and getting the same error. Don't know if its my computer or something on the browser that needs to be enabled. Google web browser is up to date. I think my location was added right before the update of the Pinside website. Maybe Robin could shed some light on the problem. Thanks Blondetall

#21 10 years ago

I guess I'm just not getting it.

Who cares if we know what city you live in? What difference could it possibly make?

Me....I'm in a very small town. But most of you don't know who the heck I am and putting my city on here isn't going to help you.

Then (like I referenced above) There is Mr. Dayhuff who has a VERY large collection, uses his real name, city, phone number........I don't think he's had any issues and he's been in this hobby a long time.

I don't think owning pinball machines makes you any sort of "target".

Some A-Hole wants to rob you he's more likely to drive around just looking for nice houses without obvious security. And believe me....he'll pass by most of ours. And he's certainly not going out to steal Pinball Machines! I can't think of a bigger pain in the ass to steal.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

And he's certainly not going out to steal Pinball Machines! I can't think of a bigger pain in the ass to steal.

For real. Studies have shown most home robberies are done in less than ten minutes. They will take your easy to grab computer, TV, iphone long before they think to unplug and movie a 300 pound pinball machine.

#23 10 years ago

I disagree. Location should be optional as is the avatar.
    Now; if your going to post in WTB or for Sale areas... then yeah; location might need to be a requirement to "unlock" posting there.

And before you guys think 300 lbs pinball machines are safe... read this story from the local news:
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/police-father-son-burglarized-home-after-appraisal/ncffK/

#24 10 years ago

I understand what a drag it can be to keep asking someone about location
    but some folks just want to be left alone

buddy of mine had a hemi road runner and joined a mopar forum years ago
    he left only after a year because ppl kept bugging him about hemi parts he had
    and didn't want to sell.
    So I can see both sides or depth that folks want to be in the pinball hobby
    if you buy and sell it's a good thing but if you have a collection and want to be left alone....

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

nuff said !

Land of the free son. It should be a courtesy but definitely not mandatory.

#26 10 years ago

Location should be a must. For the purpose of possibly networking with others in the area and especially for the "Market" If you live in a smaller city with 20,000 people and you are that worried, then don't list your machines you own or have it set to private. Better yet...list a big city that is within 100 miles of you. I live in Plano, TX population 250k people. Now lets pretend Plano only had 10k people. I would then list Dallas, Texas because it is within 100 miles of my location (8-10 miles actually). Lets take the guy "FatAussieBogan" (poster above) it is nice to know that he is in Australia because I might live in Adelaide as well and might want to possibly get to know him. It is a given that he owns pinballs. Maybe he has 20 high end machines or maybe he has 1 beat up undesired title. Most crooks don't know what these things cost let alone want to break their back moving 200lb + machines. Right now if I was robbed they would take my computer, laptop, big screen TV and other things they could take easily and within 10-15 min.

#27 10 years ago

General location is fine like country and city but let's not get all FaceBooky as I really don't want to know if you are pebble dashing the pan or in the garden playing with your cute pussy, know what I mean

Mark (current status - Auckland hotel room posting on pinside drinking beer)

#28 10 years ago

Moved to Pinside Feature Requests Sub Forum.

#29 10 years ago

I think location should be posted, that's one of the first things I look at when looking at a post. Is the guy local, and could I give him a hand, or should I even bother looking at the pin for sale because it may be in another county. I agree people want there privacy, but remember you are posting on a forum, and you are more then likely going to get a response. Plus its not like I can plug someone's screen name, and city in google earth, and get it to show me a picture of their house and pin collection. Hey wait maybe if I tweek the settings a little bit I can see in the window. Anyway like a previous poster said you could always list the closest city if you are worried about it.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Land of the free son. It should be a courtesy but definitely not mandatory.

I couldn't agree more. Sounds like it's my loss if I don't list a location. I'd rather know someone's name.

#31 10 years ago

I would like to post my location but unable to successfully add to pinside map. (Location not found) Will keep trying....
    Sydney, Australia is my location. Hope to have updated soon.
    Anybody else experiencing this problem? Any solutions

#32 10 years ago

Whats going on with so all of the AC/DC HIGH VOLTAGE avatars? It seams that every other poster has that logo? What gives?

#33 10 years ago

Maybe there are a lot of Pinsiders in the witness relocation program.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Whats going on with so all of the AC/DC HIGH VOLTAGE avatars? It seams that every other poster has that logo? What gives?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sad-news-for-jim-mccunes-family

and....

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-mccune-change-your-avatar-to-show-support

#36 10 years ago

yes, it should definitely be mandatory. cant understand why people dont put it up for people to see. they must be hiding something or have anti social issues. geez.

ok, now seriously: mandatory? really? y'all put down your 'bloomberg' and quit worrying so much about what others 'must do'. (so I am either from texas or NYC or montana....lol)

#37 10 years ago

I dare robbers to take my machines ....
    They are on my attic, two full size stair flights.

And to get them out of my house, they have to remove the heads first

#38 10 years ago

"Two would be burglars crushed on attic stairs by pinball machines in Thor's house. Film at 11"

#39 10 years ago

What - no credit card numbers and secret emergency pin money stash locations within everyone's home? It's not about stealing machines, there are many other good reasons people don't want to post stuff.

Just respect people's version of the red line.

Why does it matter anyway?

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

Blondetall, the issue I have seen is that when you try to add yourself to the map, in the bottom left hand side of the map it says Nothing Found Here when you try to add your location. Also the map appears blank when you try to move the blue circle to your location. If I manually type in my location, it shows the location but I cant proceed by adding it to my profile. I tried it with three different web browsers. (IE, Google, and Firefox). Also just tried it on my IPad and getting the same error. Don't know if its my computer or something on the browser that needs to be enabled. Google web browser is up to date. I think my location was added right before the update of the Pinside website. Maybe Robin could shed some light on the problem. Thanks Blondetall

Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

I would like to post my location but unable to successfully add to pinside map. (Location not found) Will keep trying....Sydney, Australia is my location. Hope to have updated soon.Anybody else experiencing this problem? Any solutions

I've sent all of this to Robin directly and also pointed him towards this thread. Hopefully we can get something fixed soon so those that want to add a location are able to do so.

#41 10 years ago

Making people provide data that has no bearing is pointless. It is a hobby forum, not top secret clearance verification.

Nobody needs to know where a poster is from. If they are selling something then list it in the ad.

It is as ridiculous as when Radio Shack was demanding phone numbers in order to complete the sale. They didn't need squat. Take the cash give me the 39 cent part and leave me alone.

So the work around was giving fake numbers

So if people will give a fake location to meet the "you must give your location" demand then making anyone provide it does nothing different than leaving it blank.

If there are then verifications to see if the location is correct then say goodbye to many participants who value their privacy.

In short nobody needs to have anything personal listed on these forums.

#42 10 years ago

I've tried it, using different browsers. The map doesn't come up and when I try to add myself in, it doesn't work.

I was able to upload a picture, but I can't get the location to work, no matter what I do.

I'm not sure why using IE would be an issue when I can edit all the other stuff using IE. I think this is a website problem.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Take the cash give me the 39 cent part and leave me alone.

They get a little upset when you come in for an LM555 and don't sign up for an iphone contract with the extended warranty.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

nuff said !

You're not the boss of me.

#45 10 years ago

I kind of thought that people who didn't list their location was possibly because of competition scoring deals. Like posting a message in the buying advice forum about game xxxx for $500, now everyone knows that deal is available in that area and would be searching CL, ebay, classifieds, etc for it as well.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Thumbs up Lloyd

Gerry, with no punctuation your post comes off kinda gross.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I disagree. Location should be optional as is the avatar.
    Now; if your going to post in WTB or for Sale areas... then yeah; location might need to be a requirement to "unlock" posting there.
    And before you guys think 300 lbs pinball machines are safe... read this story from the local news:
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/police-father-son-burglarized-home-after-appraisal/ncffK/

Just so we are clear....YES, you have every right to remain private here (I just don't get it).

BTW....What does the above story have to do with anything here? An appraiser and his son (allegedly) stole from a VACANT house that they appraised for a bank???

You want to steal my pins....good luck. They are in the basement with a 90 degree turn on the narrow stairs. Oh and if I happen to be home you're likely to get a 44 mag up your Hee-Hoo for your troubles.

#48 10 years ago

I can see why location would be important when posting a sale or WTB ad. However, this is not a private forum. You don't have to be a member to read posts. And as pin collecting is a fairly expensive hobby it can viewed that the owners are usually pretty well off. It's not the pins that I would worry about getting stolen. It's your other stuff you might have that's not so heavy. Property that can be expected to be found in a home of someone who is more than just financially secure. Maybe this view is a little paranoid but it's coming from a person who's been a police officer for over ten years. Take it for what you will.

Also, if your house is alarmed, great. If not, at least get one of those "property is monitored 24 hours..." signs. I've told burglary victims for years that they are a good, cheap way to prevent them from happening. Cameras (fake or real) are good ideas too but it's the sign and it prominent appearance that is the best deterrence for this crime. Keep all the guns you want but you aren't always home. Or maybe you are...so never mind.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Just so we are clear....YES, you have every right to remain private here (I just don't get it).
    BTW....What does the above story have to do with anything here? An appraiser and his son (allegedly) stole from a VACANT house that they appraised for a bank???

My point was if they take a dishwasher, washing machine, and a couch; A pinball machine is really not much worse.

#50 10 years ago

I've been trying but it won't let me add my location

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-should-be-mandatory-to-put-your-location-along-with-your-avatar-thingy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.