pasted_image (resized).png
tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Mr_Tantrum your "at rest" flipper position is pretty low. Normally the flippers should be aligned with the inlane, while yours are drooping downward.

They are supposed to be drooped. See NeilMcRae ’s post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-/page/2#post-6224796

1 week later
#243 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I'd like to see less talk about "they just don't FEEL the same", and more examination of how they might actually be different

Same here. This is something that has objective data available. It can be measured.

Comments about feelings aren’t helpful measurements, they are just a claim and do nothing to help find a solution.

I will say that skilled players (I count CrazyLevi among them) tend to notice differences that players like me simply chalk up to normal differences between any two tables.

Establishing a baseline “correct” definition on the originals is a challenge too, since they have all been rebuilt multiple times by now. It will take a coordinated effort to do so and probably involve multiple people.

#282 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

knowledge bias overshadowing actual subjective observation.

I think you mean objective in this sentence.

Quoted from Bublehead:

But to what end? Proving there is no difference?

If I were designing the testing my goal would be determining if there is a difference specific to the remakes.

Let’s be clear about “feelings”. While they are not objective measurements, it doesn’t mean they are wrong. In my opinion the burden of proof lies with the claimant. If the claimant provides good evidence to support their claim remake flippers are <insert claim here> I’ll accept it.

One challenge to someone investigating a claim of “feels different” is determining what that even means. Without a specific definition you could end up testing an unfalsifiable proposition and getting nowhere.

#286 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

was the recommended rest position of the original AFM flippers the same slightly drooped recommended position on the AFMr?

Yes, per Brian Eddy- https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-/page/2#post-6224796

#309 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

the power is consistantly strong regardless of where the ball is on the flipper when flipped.

I don’t understand what you mean. The game can’t tell if a ball is present. If the button is pressed, it flips. If the force applied is different between original and remake it applies no matter where (or if) a ball is in proximity to the flipper.

What about measuring ball speed as a determining factor? If a flip propels the ball at a speed within tolerance that would mean the force applied was the same, right? I’m thinking maybe a setup where you can measure ball speed at a predetermined point on the playfield. Take 100+ measurements, monitor coil temp, move to another point. Could test shots taken from any part of the flipper you want to test.

Questions I can think of regarding the above methodology:
1: Is ball speed an accurate measure of force applied?
2: ??? what else???

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I may try to pick up a cheap digital scope myself. Between my MBr, WH20, and EBD, (along with your DI and BM66) that could give a decent sample of flipper mechs to compare against.

Until the people who claim the originals feel different than the remakes articulate that difference in a measurable way you don’t know what to investigate and you can’t address their concerns.

There is little to be gained with actual measurable data because the “feelings” data is undefined (so far).

I don’t think it’s hopeless though. Race drivers manage to communicate clearly with mechanics and engineers. Hard to work out a common language to address issues when a group doesn’t have the advantages of close proximity and shared equipment to work on. Just additional challenges I guess.

I wonder what testing CGC has already done on this?

#331 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

If… the remakes have more raw power to the flippers and then adjust the power by pulsing it based on the setting, this could easily account for a difference in feel.

Could it really though? If an OG flipper propels the ball at X velocity and a remake flipper propels the ball at X velocity and it takes the same amount of time to get to that velocity is it relevant how that velocity is achieved?

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

it may not be the same at all points on the flipper.

Because of geometry, the closer you are to the tip of the flipper, the faster the bat is moving.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

some people have claimed that the flippers are weak at the tip

Ask yourself if that’s even possible before you spend money and effort investigating. The game doesn’t know the position of the ball. What factor(s) can cause a weak shot, but only at the tip? Maybe the remake bats are flexing more than OG bats?

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The resultant speed of the balls are identical at full stroke, but differ in between the at rest to full ball velocity curve versus time.

Seems like a high-speed camera could test this. Plotting the acceleration curves between OG and remakes might show something interesting.

#343 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

If, for example, the remakes were to drop down to the hold voltage quicker (before the flipper has really completed its travel), it would result in a weak flip when near the end of stroke.

I’m still not getting it. Both ends of the flipper complete the stroke at the same time. If it’s a weak shot at the tip it’s also a weak shot at the cradle.

Maybe one would notice it more at the tip due to the delta variation between tip and cradle? But it’s still the same rotational energy being applied to the flipper bat.

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Could it simply be that the software and circuits/board set differences are the culprits?

It hasn’t yet been established there is a culprit. So far we just have some educated guesses on what might be different and/or how we might test different things.

The acceleration plot seems the most likely to show if there is a difference IMO.

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

based on the weekly Top 100, and overwhelemingly the opinions of most pinball owners, the three CGC re-makes are vastly preferred over the originals.

You keep repeating this as if it’s meaningful. There are also many flat-earthers and anti-vaxxers. Many of those people are wrong.

The number of people that believe something has no bearing on whether that thing is true or not.

If the ‘flipper difference’ issue is to be settled, first it has to be identified. A specific claim made, articulated in a way that can be investigated and shown to be accurate or inaccurate. After the claim is made, then measurements can be made and published.

Until such a claim is made the likely response to any finding will be ‘that’s not the difference I was talking about’.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 21.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-?tu=yeoldpinplayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.