pasted_image (resized).png
tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

I kinda wish you kept it a bit longer and took out the flipper assemble from both games to really compared all the bits and pieces. A few MM difference in plunger length or coil stop height can really change the throw of the the flipper. Even better, put in the original mech into the remake for comparison.

#32 3 years ago

Would it be more consistent to grind off a few MM off each plunger? That way there is more travel without bending stuff by eye and a bit easier to get them to mirror each other.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Why do the remakes have power settings for the flippers to begin with?
I agree with the commenters that state the remakes play and feel different. But I’ve never owned one and only played on location. And I could see operators wanting a lower setting to reduce wear of the game/ targets.
Having power settings seems absurd. If the goal of Chicago pinball is to accurately remake these, then they should eliminate this setting. Seems the most obvious place for people to have a bad experience with their games.

There are a lot of reasons why there are power levels and why it's a good thing. What if your line voltage is a little low/high? Easy adjustment in the service menu. Flippers a little old? Add a little juice before paying for a flipper rebuild. Just rebuilt the flippers and they're too strong? Tweak it down a bit. If you like a low pitch or a high pitch setup, tweak the power a bit to get them where they're at a good power level.

It's an industry wide feature for a reason.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Do Stern games have flipper power settings? If so I didn’t know that.
My collection consists of 90s Williams games. I guess I’m old school with this. Several WPC pins use different strength coils (from left flipper to right flipper) for this very reason. The game designers thought thru how strong a flipper needed to be for the game to play to their design / vision.
And this would seem the most obvious place where the remakes would not play and feel like the originals. Leaving it up to the end user or operator will totally change the game play.

Yes it's on all new games from all major manufacturers as far as I'm aware.

Selecting the right flipper coil strength is different than tweaking the power in the settings. Designers still pick and choose different coils based on how they want the game to play (and then refine it more in software, and then let the user tweak it as they need)

#132 3 years ago

All it takes is some digital calipers and a few measurements, and the mystery is solved

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

When the flipper power is adjusted in the CGC menu, what is actually being changed to produce a stronger/weaker flipper?
Are they dynamically changing the voltage to the coil? Changing the signal timing somehow?
I would have thought that a flipper's power would be determined by the coil being used and would then not be variable.

The software changes the initial timing of the power stroke pulse. Fliptronics, and other modern flipper designs, use computer timing to change from power to hold coil (and the EOS is used to detect knockdowns to repulse the flipper back up). Stronger flipper setting = longer initial pulse

The type of coil also matters in power. The biggest change is Fliptronics was (I believe) hardware logic that isn’t adjustable, where as modern controllers can vary this timing for the user to make minor adjustments as needed.

Quoted from Onwallst:

It is a change in voltage.

This is laughably wrong.

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Put a high quality volt meter on it. It does effect the timing but also the voltage as it lets you dial back.

Why don’t you do this and post the results? You’re the one making the claim

Edit: if anything is changing it’s just the PWM and the timing from power to hold. Although I don’t think the use PWM on dual wound coils

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

In modern games it seems to be controlled by rapidly turning the voltage on then off and adjust the duty cycle (or pulse width) that it is on. With something like a DC voltmeter that is essentially averaging the reading over a period of time it might appear to be a change in voltage but that is not what is happening.

I believe this only applies to single wound coils, which is primarily Stern. Just about everyone else uses dual wound and are adjusting the timing in the settings, or for particular modes like on Oktoberfest.

Rick and Morty shipped with single wound and the people at Spooky have been working hard to get it to feel “right”. It’s really challenging to do single wound flippers controlled by PWM, and even some Stern games still struggle with heat issues after long playing sessions.

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Dual wound coils can use a smaller coil for holding the flipper up after the limit switch is activated. This is a separate issue from using PWM to change flipper power which is what is used in any modern game where flipper power is adjustable in software including JJP and Stern. I haven't had an AP game or Rick and Morty so I can't speak to those.
Any piece of metal you put current through will heat up, so that issue isn't limited to Stern, and is well documented for JJP flipper coils and others. It has become fashionable to monitor flipper coil temperature during games and document that the flippers do in fact get warmer. That said I feel the effect on game play caused by heating has been overstated recently. Looking at the timing until the limit switch was activated on Stern games I was not able to find any effect of heating at least to near 1 ms or less. I have yet to see anyone measure a decrease in coil power or change in timing with heating.

PWM is mostly used on single wound flipper coils to my knowledge. On the dual wound flipper coils they don't need to PWM because they have two driving transistors, one for hold and one for power. On these, the time in MS from changing from power to hold is what is being modified. For example, trigger power coil for 35ms then simultaneously switch off and turn on hold.

Single wound coils use a single transistor and PWM to do the power and the hold. I'm not exactly sure how Stern implements their PWM, but it's generally really good. It is something like 50% PWM for 30ms, then 15% PWM while flipper is held. (Just example numbers)

Yes coils get hot. It's not just a Stern issue. But single wound coils are more difficult to manage the heat profile and takes more fine tuning than a dual wound coil designed for this problem. If the hold PWM is too low, the flipper bat is easily knocked down and if it's too high then the coil quickly overheats

I'd love to know why JJP flippers are so different in execution than everyone else. They do heat up quickly and generally have a very unique feel to them.

Heat changes the resistance of the coil, which lowers the power of the electromagnet. I would also theorize the heat also likely causes the nylon sleeve to slightly expand in size which adds additional friction to the plunger, and makes the flipper feel weaker.

And this is all about flipper coils. Regular coils, like pops and slings, are modifying the timing pulse of the one coil fire to activate the device. This is not done through PWM

#192 3 years ago

I don’t think the force of the flippers is the issue, I think people are arguing the throw of the flipper is different.

A protractor could measure this. It would also deal with the issue of some people aligning with the ball guides instead of the flipper alignment hole. Going off a picture in relation to the art is not scientific

#197 3 years ago

Let’s contact that super high speed camera guy and then we can get a great slow motion video

Only mild sarcasm

2 weeks later
#362 2 years ago

I don’t think the remakes are PWM controlled. That technique is generally used on single wound coils, like Stern

I believe the remakes are using digital timing to switch from the power to hold, similar to Fliptronics with the difference being the end user can alter the timing (ie higher initial time for the power before switching to hold = more powerful flipper)

I say this mainly because why would they need to use PWM when they have two transistors to handle the job. Stern uses PWM and a single coil because it’s cheaper to build (more complicated to get the “feel” right and balance it with heat issues, but Stern is very experienced at this technique now - although some games still have issues)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.