pasted_image (resized).png
tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

This makes me feel a little more sane because after getting MBr, I argued with my brother up and down that the flippers were not extending enough. It's damn near impossible to cradle a ball because they sit so low. We messed with the EOS and everything but it's never felt "right" to me, but perhaps it's that reproduction flipper base someone mentioned above?

Old flipper mechs are flogged out giving you a longer stroke. The bracket bends, the plunger and coil stop mushroom and this gives you a longer stroke usually with the impression that you can aim and catch better.

People are comparing a 20 year old flogged out mech to a 3 or 4 year old newer version. Also my experience tells me that a lot of flipper mechs are not assembled proplery in their machine. On top of that, the remakes have a different flipper controll system. The flippers would definitely feel different.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Briks-707:

I have all 3 of the CGC remakes, they all definitely have shorter throws when the flippers are fully extended compared to the originals. Makes it a real challenge to consistently trap the ball. Out of the 3 only my MMrLE has that soft spongy flipper feel that I’m not big fan of. Thanks for the great tip, I’m going to make some adjustments to mine and see how it goes.

If you bend the brackets you will have to re align the flipper bats. Also remember that the remakes have the CGC menu and you can adjust the flipper strength.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. You are not going to gain traction with this because it’s not true.

Crap. The part numbers for the new games are the same as the part numbers for all the old games. Base plates, plungers, coil stops, coils, etc, etc.

Please smoke some more weed. I wish I could but my employer will not let me.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fact that you believe these games shipped with those ridiculously shallow flippers makes you look like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

you bought a used game.... any one could have stuffed around with it before you bought it. All our remakes are fine.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve owned about 100 wpc games and rebuilt the flippers personally on most of them. I know what a wpc flipper stroke is supposed to look like.
This isn’t even up for debate. Anybody with any experience teching or playing WPC games knows he remake stroke is freakishly short.

If the games were mine, I would have pulled the mechs out of the original and put them in the remake. See how that goes. I then would have taken them all apart and measured all the different parts to see where the difference is. Get some answers.

Out of interest how many flipper base plates did you change out? You can also buy different branded flipper stops that are different thicknesses so no... you have not done your research correctly. This alone greatly affects the stroke length.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quite a few. When you’ve shopped out hundreds of games, you have to do it every now and then.
The flipper stroke has never magically shrunk by a third.
What are basing all of this nonsense on anyway? You really think WPC games shipped in the 90s with the same short strokes as CGC games?
Tell you what...dig up some old 90s Williams promo videos, they are all over YouTube. Should be pretty easy to prove your case.

I worked out a long time ago that the difference is in the base plates and plunger stops. I did exactly what I thought you could do. I pulled all the original mechs out and measured them against the new mechs. I also noticed that the old base plates were bent and the old rubber stops had shrunk. Flogged out plungers and coil stops also give you a longer stroke. You never gave the remake a chance, it is your money do what you like with it. I also notice you make no mention of replacing the flipper bushing. That affects the stroke too. Flogged out, longer stroke.

Believe what you like, I am an engineer that just loves the hobby and have loved it a long time.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Someone needs to tell PAPA, and in fact every owner of ever other restored or refurbished wpc game I’ve ever played, that their baseplates are flogged out.
It’s just crazy that in 32 years of playing WPC games I’ve never managed to cross paths with one that wasn’t flogged. Even my mint HUO monster bash has what I’ve been mistaking as a “normal” flipper stroke.
Crazy.

Amazing I say, amazing. You cannot even read what I said. Must be good weed!

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man Williams was really cheaping out in 1995, using used, flogged out baseplates and flipper parts on their brand new games....
[quoted image]

Keep smoking and keep stroking! Lets see what else you can come up with.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are just crabby cause your job owns you and you lack the personal freedom to get stoned.
Go piss in a cup.

Exactly!

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha! Touché
Let’s agree to disagree on this one. Maybe we’ll join up for...a beer!

Agree! I would love to catch up and have a beer with you one day..

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

I'm an engineer too but don't need a degree to come to the conclusion that remakes play nothing like the originals. I even owned a HUO original MM so you can't say it felt different because the machine was routed and played thousands of times so the parts were worn out.
People who never really played the originals don't know any better and that is fine since they enjoy how the remake plays and don't have anything to compare it to. I been collecting a long time and have owned a lot of machines with AFM being one of my all time favorites so I'm pretty sure I know how it should feel.
People can argue which plays better and that is a matter of preference but saying they play the same is ridiculous.

I never said any games play the same. Buy or play whatever game makes you happy.

#151 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Heres the thing - i would assume most original AFM/MM/MB's by now have fully re-placed flipper mechs. Maybe original coils, but everything else, including baseplates replaced. Definitely any restored AFM/MM/MB's would have.
Maybe just the baseplate is still the same on some original AFM's.
I would also assume most of the flipper re-builds are using identical parts to the remakes - same factory/distributor etc etc. In fact woudnt PPS be supplying mechs for the remakes?
So where's the difference if any? The coil?
Has anywone tried replacing the complete mechs for the CGC remakes to the ones available for sale (that would be in most original AFM/MM/MB)?
Curious - I might give it a go.

It is as simple as this:

Years ago someone bent the base plate to give the flipper extra travel. It is really easy to do, I have tried it myself. Most people that rebuild flippers do not change the base plate.

Then you get:

"I have been in the hobby for 30 years and rebuilt 100s of flippers. The old games have more stroke than the new games. I know what I am talking about because I am an expert"

Part numbers are the same. If you go to PPS website to buy new flipper mechs, all the parts listed are for original and genuine games. Same parts same part numbers.

Years ago I swapped out complete flipper assemblys on a HS2. Sure as shit, I noticed straight away that the flipper travel on the new mech was less than the old one. I thought I bought the wrong stuff. Pulled everything apart looking for the difference. I rang the guy I bought the game from to see if he could help out... His response was "I bent the base plate bracket that has the rubber stop in it to give more flipper travel. we all do it, you should try it too."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-?tu=pinballaddicted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.