pasted_image (resized).png
tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 3 years ago

Blast from the past here... I do recall after MMR released participating in lengthy threads concerning spongy flippers, raised front levelers as compensation, etc.

After playing CGC remakes, along with AP games, owning a WOZ for 6 years, playing all the other JJPs, and currently owning two Spooky games, I'm firmly convinced the only good way to drive WMS flipper assemblies is with proper dual-wound coils and WMS fliptronics boards with their big fat TIP36C transistors. All this modern substitute shit just doesn't cut it.

https://www.flippers.be/images/wpc/fliptronics1.jpg

That is how you drive flippers.

Still have my OG AFM and frankly, Levi, you'd be nuts to swap for the remake.

#37 3 years ago

The bending-of-the-rest-plate trick is also how you get perfectly even flippers at both rest and extension positions. You want to FIRST adjust them to be perfectly even at extension (when up) at whatever angle you prefer, then you can slightly bend the bracket to make the at-rest positions exactly even as well. Bending the bracket compensates for slight differences in plunger/coil stop/link sizes.

When adjusting the flippers "up" position, you want to use your finger to push the flipper plunger into the coil, mimicking the way the coil pulls it in. If you simply raise and hold the flipper itself, slop in the link/pawl causes it to raise further than it does if the coil pulls it in and that will mess up your positioning.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

This 100%. All your OG MB, MM and AFM have older flipper parts that have been flipped 100k + times. 14k plays is around a million flips so prob more flips on those parts. Each time they flip the plunger hits the coil stop and grinds off a tiny amount of metal (black dust) and shortens the stop and plunger and over time the plunger and coil stop have shortened giving the idea it has a longer stroke. Rebuild your OG flipper mechs and they will have the same up and down stroke as the remakes.

I rebuilt the flippers on every WMS game I got back in the day; they all played like new. Replaced the plunger, link, pawl, spring and coil stop. They all played better than current remake flippers.

#72 3 years ago

The small gap is offset somewhat by the repeated center shots required to progress. AFM isn't hard but it'll eventually drain off that saucer.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I agree with the components on the board and it seems so does CGC!

No, those aren't the same parts, nor the same circuit. Not even close to Fliptronics.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

I even owned a HUO original MM so you can't say it felt different because the machine was routed and played thousands of times so the parts were worn out.

Yep, I owned a HUO MB for a few years and the flippers on it were incredible. Actually made the game difficult due to how fast the ball came off the flipper... rebounds off posts and the phantom flip targets were SDTM before you could blink. Sad that it's been over 20 years since we've had new Fliptronics games. At least Stern flippers are pretty decent these days.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Pretty sure you used to bring an AFM to the Expo free play area that I always enjoyed.

Yeah, that was mine in the corner. Glad you enjoyed it!

#215 3 years ago

A ton of the "heat up and get weak" issues over the years are simply due to badly rebuilt flippers. If the pawl is clamped on the flipper shaft too high or too low, the plunger will be pulled into the coil at an angle, significantly increasing friction between the plunger and coil sleeve and causing the flipper to weaken as the sleeve heats up. This is a guaranteed result of bad clamp placement and can happen on any game, regardless of flipper system.

1 week later
#245 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Everyone saying stuff like this seems to forget that even most "originals" don't play like other "originals". I played lots of different original MM machines, and each one felt different from the others.

I owned a HUO MB for 3 years. First owner never played it, 2nd was too afraid of putting wear on it, so it was essentially new (and looked it) when I got it. The flippers were untouched.

Comparing the flipping on that game to the new MMRs I played at Expo - they were nothing alike. The OG MB flippers never got tired, all shots were rockets, the game was quite difficult due to the speed of the shots, and everything flowed just perfectly. Balls whipped around the ramps and orbits.

OTOH the MM remake at Expo: flippers felt noodly, delayed and laggy, like a crappy 6803 game. They worked, you could make shots, but no solidness like the originals. Someone said they feel like Spooky flippers and I agree with that. Same mechs but completely different drive. Dunno what else to say but I've compared new to new and they're nothing alike.

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

I'm not saying that the differences aren't noticeable. But comparing a machine with low play in a home environment to a machine at a convention isn't a fair comparison.

Why? They were both brand new games. There was talk of could it be due to low mains power at the show, but other game played fine, and IIRC don't the remakes use solid-state power supplies?

I took my OG AFM to the same show in prior years and it played just as fast and mean there as it did in my house.

#257 3 years ago

Yep, of all the games to die on a hill for...

He's just waiting for WCS94R

#273 2 years ago

Well let's see here...

Quoted from Banker:

Most people don’t have extensive plays on good originals , as I have played several examples of each that have been remade,
that weren’t very good.

Owned MM from '99 to 2018. Owned AFM since 2000 and still have it. Owned a HUO MB for ~2014-2017. Got plenty of experience on good-playing originals.

Quoted from Banker:

I bought NIB each of the Remkes , everything about them is 100% nicer than I have seen before.

Yes the remakes look really new and shiny and pretty with the bright LEDs and all.

Quoted from Banker:

It seems like the only reason anyone nit picks differences is because they are trying to justify selling an original at some astronomical price

Nope, I cite the differences because every remake I've ever tried played like ass compared to the originals. My AFM isn't for sale and the others were sold quite cheaply, so your theory is bunk in this case.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Even the people who had a remake and original next to each other had difficulty explaining what was different.

Not really, you can summarize in that the remake flipper power drops off faster towards the tip than the originals did. Late shots feel wimpy. Even sweet-spot shots don't have the oomph that OG games had. When they heat up, the remake flippers struggle to flip with the same snap and strength, shot trajectories change more than normal, etc.

There's a thread here where someone got an original AFM and kept having the balls fly off the habitrails due to the speed. I had the same issue and added a catcher at the end of the right habitrail to stop balls flying into the outlane. OG games were engineered to be overpowered when clean and new, and normal when dirty and neglected (because most ops back then didn't give a shit). The new games play OK when clean and new but lack that extra oomph that made the originals so fun.

1 week later
#394 2 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

I am removing my original post after seeing the minus five downvotes. I'll defer to the pinside Top 100 voters who week after week have the CGC re-makes far over the originals. I'll leave this particular thread now for the flipper pedantics.

So question for robin

Does nuking your own post like this also nuke the downvotes from your accrued total? Inquiring minds want to know...

BTW FFH, you tellingly left "gameplay" out of your list

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.50
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.