pasted_image (resized).png
tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Gonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 3 years ago

Back in November I decided I finally wanted to buy my favorite game, AFM. I had never played the remake, but of course had hundreds of games played on the original. I drove about an hour last fall to play a SE and decide which I want. When I first saw it, I must say it looks stunning. Very bright art and the oversized DMD was impressive. However, by ball 2 I knew it wasn't the same. I noticed the flipper feel like OP, but to me what seemed really off were the orbits. They just felt loose. Like a ball going in would kind of rattle around and die out coming around the other side. Sometimes it seemed they went in smooth and came out loose. I played about 10 games on it and knew it was not for me. I fortunately brought home an excellent Bally last weekend. The orbits rip lightning fast, and it's easy to backhand the lobster ramp as well as scoop. I think for someone new to the hobby or someone who hasn't played the original a ton the remake would be just fine.

#69 3 years ago

Ehh, this debate will never be settled. Like I posted earlier today, I played the original for over 20 years and I like how it plays so I bought one. If someone doesn't have that experience with it and is happy with the remake then I don't see any worries.

It's not the same though

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I don't know how you could be more far off base than with this statement. If one were to ask any rando on the street to play both an OG and a remake and ask them to judge which was the original and which was a shitty copy, I can tell you they would not be doing anything but tossing a coin and shouting "heads" because there is no real difference to the average rando on the street. I can guarantee if you ask them which was better, an OG MB, or a MBrCE they would shrug their shoulders and look puzzled. That's all CGC really wants with their remakes, that the average person dropping coin in one gets to play a game that makes them feel good about what they got for a buck. They are not out to please the top end of the market as much as they are just providing a game that others may not have played before. Your frustration that they play differently, have different quality issues, or are electronically and physically not identical to OG equipment is non sequitur. There is a market for remakes, even if they are shitty remakes, because CGC sold every one of the 1250 LE's of MB, and who knows how many CE and SE's on top of that. If they suck so bad, why did everyone want one?

The thing is, we're not random people.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'll ask again and as others have requested, can an original AFM owner please post top down perspective photographs of the flippers at rest and fully extended. This way us remake owners can compare the amount of throw and if there is indeed any difference (would be even better if they could lay a protractor underneath to show the angles. Both at rest and fully extended flipper pics are required because different people start with different alignments.

I'll get one posted soon. However, I broke a bushing in the left one last night and haven't fixed it yet. You'll notice it's slightly lower than the right. We'll call it close enough

Added pics. Stroke seems pretty high to me on the right. Left will match it when fixed. Someone post a remake pic
20210415_191912 (resized).jpg20210415_191912 (resized).jpg20210415_192004 (resized).jpg20210415_192004 (resized).jpg

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Maybe it's because of your missing bushing, but your left flipper seems very strange.
The back part of the flipper seems to be out of alignment with the inland guide.
Also, are those original flipper bats? They look very thin compared to normal. Maybe it's just due to the angle of the picture and the flipper toppers.
I'm not trying to be super-critical or anything, I just want to make sure that we are looking at the correct stuff.
Thanks for posting the pics. Unfortunately I don't have an AFM, but I will post pics of my MBr soon.
Hopefully some other owners (original and remake) will post pictures of theirs (MM, AFM and MB) for comparison.

The bushing is still in there, I just noticed it was broken last night when I went to live catch and noticed it jiggling around when the ball hit it. I've had it less than 2 weeks, so I'm not certain about the flippers. I don't really care for the covers on them, will probably get rid of them at some point. I think the back of the flipper is aligned right at rest, and you're seeing the broken bushing showing itself when raised.

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

And here is the throw on the remake - LE with a couple of hundred plays (I think my left flipper may be slightly lower than the right at rest (not intentional).
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, the most shocking thing to me is the color difference. That must be a nude playfield? My right flipper is higher, although it is not by much.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Your right flipper has more worn out parts and has a longer range of motion than the left. Shorter plunger or coil stop strike plate or bushing screw is worn out. A plastic broken white through playfield bushing will not cause that much difference.

Possible for sure, like I said it's new to me and I haven't done much other than fix some switches. I'm not the best example but did want to see a comparison

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, it is not the nude version of the playfield (that would have been a deal killer for me when I bought it), but I do have that area illuminated with UV lighting to react to my Titan GITD rings, and I also have Pinstadium lighting (set to a cool white color). You can also see that I've replaced the red star posts with florescent green and illuminated them.[quoted image]

Maybe it's the camera, but that doesn't look orange to me. When I was undecided between original or remake the nude would have been a deal breaker for me as well

3 weeks later
#413 2 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

I'm so sorry. Gameplay in the re-makes is vastly superior. Sorry about that.

I played both, debating which one to buy. I bought a Bally last month that's beautiful. I posted earlier in this thread it's not just the flippers, something is off with the orbits as well. I have super smooth orbits that place the ball exactly where it should be on the flipper. I never got that same feel from the remakes

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Be realistic, the flow of every single game off the line is different in some manner. Of course it's going to feel different it is 30 years later with different material made by a different company. They are still great regardless.

Just calling it like I'm seeing it. I played the absolute hell out of AFM long before Chicago gaming existed. That's including many different games as I've never owned it until last month. I can tell a difference, but I can also see how someone new to the hobby doesn't have the same experience I have. There's nothing wrong with that at all, just my opinion. I do love the look of the remake, but when I was ready to buy I just didn't feel I would personally be happy with the remake.

#418 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Doesn't even have to be new to the hobby. I've been in the hobby for over 25 years, and I never played MB at all, or an AFM or MM that wasn't trashed. If your only experience with some games (especially those 3) are heavily routed trashed games who's flippers barely work, rubbers broke etc....these are amazing by comparison.

How can you make a comparison then if you've only played trashed originals?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Gonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-?tu=Dr_Gonzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.