Webp.net-gifmaker(1).gif
giphy.gif
trolling-is-an-fe7217c6df.jpg
giphy.gif
black-widow-such.gif
CCA7EF71-5B65-4F56-B61B-C6886C50DD80.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
C8D65543-CA62-4353-A7D6-860873BCE318 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clearstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

The extreme popularity of eSports and streaming has shown that gaming can have enormous popularity and appeal. I believe that it's time for pinball to go mainstream as well. There are a number of things that need to be changed about the hobby for that to happen, though.
Do you have ideas? Share them in this thread. I'll get the ball rolling.
Celebrity involvement
Quick quiz: can anyone even name a celebrity who endorses pinball?
I didn’t think so.
If pinball is really to take hold, the public needs to be shown the way! This is where celebrities come in. We need big ones, though. Especially ones that will appeal to younger audiences. I hate to say it, but someone like Jake Paul from Youtube or Pete Davidson from SNL could be exactly what we need.
Games need to get cheaper
There’s no excuse for the prices that Stern is charging, and the smaller companies are charging even more! It’s time for these prices to come down for the good of the sport.
Machines need to appeal to a younger audience
For example: lets talk about the “rock” games that have been put out lately. Hopefully we can agree that Led Zepplin and the Beatles are all-time great bands, but it doesn’t appeal to a younger crowd. And don’t even get me started on Rush!
Let’s get some contemporary music represented.
I’ll give Stern credit on the Marvel pins—we need more of that kind of thinking! Who was in charge of approving things like The Munsters or Godzilla? How many people who watched the Munsters are buying machines? Let’s get more machines that are taken from shows and movies of the day. The most popular show of 2021 was YellowStone. That would make a GREAT game. You could make a game for the academy award winner of every year too.
Does anyone else have any ideas? Let’s get the conversation started now.

Sadly, your 10 years away from this kind of post. Too many 50+ folks still involved and funding pinball. You are actually 50% wrong and 50% right.

Where you are wrong, there are plenty of "modern" pins, AIQ, Deadpool, Mandalorian, Stranger Things, TMNT.

Where you are right, there are still FAR too many older themes being made by Stern and completely ignoring mainstream popularity unless it's Disney.

If Stern was serious about Modern IP (non Disney!) there would be more modern pins like Battlestar Galactica(the new one), John Wick, Equalizer, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, Eminem, DMX, Harry Potter, Anime series(Dragon Ball, Naruto, etc), Big Bang Theory, Fast and the Furious, Men in Black, Halo (video game universe), King Kong skull island, Lego Batman Movie, Tomb Raider, The Witcher, God of War, Warhammer Universe, Wonder Woman, Resident Evil...I could go on. Stern really lacks "video game" themes, which is where the 35 year old generation further relates (e.g. Halo, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, The Witcher)...amazing pinball themes. Regardless, What does everything I said have in common? All that stuff speaks to older millennials (new money). Stern isn't after that yet. That generation doesn't have a big voice yet with companies like Stern. If they did, there would 100% already be a Harry Potter or Fast & Furious pin at least.

However, man you are on Pinside lol. You aren't going to convince folks Stern's "1960 Godzilla" and "Rush" theme(s) are outdated. So just wait it out until Stern releases something decent again.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Wow, these are your modern IPs? This is laughable. I agree that Stern should really explore a solid video game license like Halo. But Maroon 5? Linkin Park? lol.

I don't like those bands at all lol, but unfortunately people do. Hence why I put them on.. That's "modern" rock. They are top 5 on any modern billiard you look at. State of affairs lol.

As far as Big Bang Theory. This is a prime example of bias history. Who would of thought Munsters was a good pinball? How in the * is Munsters any different than Big Bang Theory. Modern day sitcom..clearly popular with 13+ seasons. Simple science experiment/astronomy theme with Sheldon/Leonard voice over. Again a theme like that doesn't work now, but in 2040 it does for nostalgic reasons...hence Munsters. My list was examples of things (like it or not) real people are into like my wife. Half her problem with pinball is she hates half the themes. She only plays my Mando for that very reason. She won't even touch my Maiden, which is one of the best shooting Sterns ever and I'm "ok" with the theme. She won't touch it. I'm more open minded.

Regardless, that's what the OPs point simply was...themes matter...but folks on here are getting what they want (a bunch of old stuff), so they don't care about mainstream opinions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shively, KY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 430.00
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Portland, OR
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clearstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-make-pinball-mainstream?tu=clearstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.