Webp.net-gifmaker(1).gif
giphy.gif
trolling-is-an-fe7217c6df.jpg
giphy.gif
black-widow-such.gif
CCA7EF71-5B65-4F56-B61B-C6886C50DD80.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
C8D65543-CA62-4353-A7D6-860873BCE318 (resized).jpeg
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 2 years ago

The extreme popularity of eSports and streaming has shown that gaming can have enormous popularity and appeal. I believe that it's time for pinball to go mainstream as well. There are a number of things that need to be changed about the hobby for that to happen, though.

Do you have ideas? Share them in this thread. I'll get the ball rolling.

Celebrity involvement
Quick quiz: can anyone even name a celebrity who endorses pinball?

I didn’t think so.

If pinball is really to take hold, the public needs to be shown the way! This is where celebrities come in. We need big ones, though. Especially ones that will appeal to younger audiences. I hate to say it, but someone like Jake Paul from Youtube or Pete Davidson from SNL could be exactly what we need.

Games need to get cheaper
There’s no excuse for the prices that Stern is charging, and the smaller companies are charging even more! It’s time for these prices to come down for the good of the sport.

Machines need to appeal to a younger audience
For example: lets talk about the “rock” games that have been put out lately. Hopefully we can agree that Led Zepplin and the Beatles are all-time great bands, but it doesn’t appeal to a younger crowd. And don’t even get me started on Rush!

Let’s get some contemporary music represented.

I’ll give Stern credit on the Marvel pins—we need more of that kind of thinking! Who was in charge of approving things like The Munsters or Godzilla? How many people who watched the Munsters are buying machines? Let’s get more machines that are taken from shows and movies of the day. The most popular show of 2021 was YellowStone. That would make a GREAT game. You could make a game for the academy award winner of every year too.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Let’s get the conversation started now.

#2 2 years ago

Ed Robertson. Slash. Pete Davidson. Which one does not belong?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Ed Robertson. Slash. Pete Davidson. Which one does not belong?

No one has ever heard of Ed Robertson and Slash doesn't appeal to a modern audience. We're trying to grow the sport, bud.

#4 2 years ago

Curious why anyone in the hobby would Want it to grow beyond what it is and where its heading unless your an OEM manufacturer? As it is most can't Get a game or they have to pay an extortion rate to find one.

#5 2 years ago

Cheaper games for the good of the sport….hahahahahaha

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

No one has ever heard of Ed Robertson and Slash doesn't appeal to a modern audience. We're trying to grow the sport, bud.

You sound like the perfect ambassador for pinball

#7 2 years ago

A price equilibrizes supply and demand. That's the only excuse Stern needs. It's not a matter of whether Stern are good guys or bad guys, the prices are a reflection of the underlying market forces. I don't expect my brief explanation to convince you, but I encourage you to trust an economist who says the same thing or study economics yourself. Or provide your reason for dismissing an entire field, which is your prerogative.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

A price equilibrizes supply and demand. That's the only excuse Stern needs. It's not a matter of whether Stern are good guys or bad guys, the prices are a reflection of the underlying market forces. I don't expect my brief explanation to convince you, but I encourage you to trust an economist who says the same thing or study economics yourself. Or provide your reason for dismissing an entire field, which is your prerogative.

Pretty sure modern monetary theory would disagree with some of those basic supply-demand assumptions, but we can argue economic models in another thread!

Post edit: prices are very elastic these days.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

You sound like the perfect ambassador for pinball

ambASSador

Fixed it.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

ambASSador
Fixed it.

Wow. Very clever, BrattyPin.

#11 2 years ago

Well, JLo likes JP pro.
Mainstream enough yet?

7123DD64-DA6C-445B-BECB-58C7611C9917 (resized).jpeg7123DD64-DA6C-445B-BECB-58C7611C9917 (resized).jpeg

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Well, JLo likes JP pro.
Mainstream enough yet?

Now we're talking!

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I'm pretty sure this statement will offend 99.93% of everyone on Pinside. For a greenhorn, you're off to a great start!

#14 2 years ago

Thanks for making all my drunken posts look sane.

#15 2 years ago

Start a stupid thread asking for people’s opinions and then down vote anyone who disagrees with you.
Very nice.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Celebrity involvement

I didn’t think so.

Only a total doofus would need to rely on a celebrity to validate an attraction to pinball, of all things.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#18 2 years ago

I can tell from the style of writing that this post smells like Andrew MacBain/Pinball Adventures/Punny Factory. Just a crazy hunch I have. Hit me like a bus when I entered the thread.

Or maybe Kaneda.

Actually, probably Kaneda.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-is-back-501-airing-now/page/19#post-6365554 .

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Only a total doofus would need to rely on a celebrity to validate an attraction to pinball, of all things.

I understand that you're above mass marketing and that endorsements don't influence someone as enlightened as you but there is a reason why these tactics are employed by advertising agencies and large organizations. It's because they work.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

You could make a game for the academy award winner of every year too.

In a world under glass …..

12 Years a Slave
Spotlight
Greenbook
Nomadland
Parasite

Good luck ambass

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Gameseum:

I can tell from the style of writing that this post smells like Andrew MacBain/Pinball Adventures/Punny Factory. Just a crazy hunch I have. Hit me like a bus when I entered the thread.
Or maybe Kaneda.
Actually, probably Kaneda.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-is-back-501-airing-now/page/19#post-6365554 .

I'm sorry you don't understand sarcasm, but I was being sarcastic in that post. Maybe you should be a bit more discerning when you read things pal.

#22 2 years ago

Pinball needs some phresh ideaz from dudes with white stitched jeans and bleached teeth. Yeah, beat it nerd.

#23 2 years ago

No celebrities. Please.

Too much of them privileged, hypocritical degenerates as it is.

And why make it mainstream? Would just turn everything lame. Kdrama and kpop used to be good. Suddenly it became trendy and it's all shit now. No different than American shit, except for a lack of diversity.

So no thank you. Pinball as-is is good. In fact, maybe already too many people considering the difficulty of getting NIB and even used.

#24 2 years ago

I reckon go for it. Your idea just might work out.
There is an audience for everything out there, why not pinball?
Unfortunately the I’m cool cause I have pinball is long gone. It is very much a rich man’s game now and needs refreshing a tad instead of the “look at me and what I’ve got approach.”

It could very well be included with the e-sports crew as a division of its own. We have some characters out there that could make it very watchable.
My thought would be to get some top e-sport players and ask the to have a competition and see how that goes.

Appears to be too many narrow minded people here, the downvotes indicate lack of enthusiasm.
I think it could go very well.
Good luck

#25 2 years ago

I think the closest pinball ever got to being mainstream was when Space Cadet came pre-installed on Windows. Outside of something like that witch makes some form of pinball readily available to nearly everyone, I don't think there's any way to really force it to become mainstream.

A lot of it just comes down to cost, and the availability of nearby locations. The celebrity idea probably wouldn't make much difference for that reason. If a celebrity/influencer talks about a fashion item, mobile app, or snack food, most people can just go out and buy those things on a whim. A pinball machine takes deliberately saving up for a while, and unless you already know you're really into pinball, you're probably not going to do that. Jack Black actually has a pretty popular YouTube channel where he's done a few videos about pinball, and while everyone thought it was really cool, you didn't see all his subscribers flocking to their nearest distributor. I suppose locations may have seen a small boost in attendance, but I don't have the numbers to know for sure.

As for themes, I definitely think we could use some more modern themes. Video game themes would be huge. It boggles my mind that the last video game themed pinball was Big Buck Hunter. A Pokemon pinball machine for example is an idea that writes itself and would be super popular on location (And *would* see extra sales from some big Pokemon collectors, though I doubt many of those people would end up getting into pinball beyond that one game). Most of the more modern themed games are based on movies and TV shows, so it would be cool to see current manufacturers broaden they're horizons a bit for modern IPs and include current IPs beyond what we've seen.

Making games cheaper? That just isn't happening haha. At this point dropping prices even by a few thousand wouldn't really catch the attention of someone who isn't already in the hobby. You tell someone a new pin costs $6,000 or $8,000, their reaction is going to be the same. Maybe cheaper games could allow for more locations to show up, but then you'd start sacrificing quality (Unless current profit margins are *that* big).

#26 2 years ago

Maybe if the OP could get some time on the Stephen Colbert Show, he could popularize it with the few hundred viewers they have.

#27 2 years ago

Well we need another manufacturer with no track record, you down?

#28 2 years ago

I want to see pinball proliferate and on one hand I empathize with your sentiment. On the other hand, nothing great in this world is mainstream. If pinball started feeling like watching the New Years Rockin Eve with Ryan Seacrest, I would be very sad.

#29 2 years ago

I can’t help but notice your 6% upvote percentage, OP. Something in my gut tells me you enjoy that, because not sure one can just stumble into that.

#31 2 years ago

Just think-in the last two years pinball has gone more mainstream than the last 40 years? Social media and people realizing games are good for the home has made everything explode. The secret is out folks-now can manufactures keep up? When the guy posted about pinball in China-it got me thinking. If China and others catch onto American pop culture games-it could be a game changer. America pop culture is hot and pinball is on fire. We had a secret club for many years and I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

#32 2 years ago

OP might have the lowest down vote percentage on pinside.com

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Ed Robertson and Jason Sudekus right off the top of my head.

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

There’s no excuse for the prices that Stern is charging, and the smaller companies are charging even more! It’s time for these prices to come down for the good of the sport.

If only it were that easy.

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

For example: lets talk about the “rock” games that have been put out lately. Hopefully we can agree that Led Zepplin and the Beatles are all-time great bands, but it doesn’t appeal to a younger crowd. And don’t even get me started on Rush!

How is the younger audience ever going to afford a pinball machine? Also, most locations are 21 and up that have pinball machines. I definitely want to see more brick and mortar arcades, but they just don’t do well. At least in my area.

Young audiences don’t give two shits about the academy awards.

Make a pin off of current hip hop and rap artists, or video game properties, and you might have their attention, but it’s no guarantee it gonna move the needle at all. Some of the young players I know, don’t care about theme at all, they just want a game that is fun to play.

The biggest issue with pinball not going mainstream is it’s a nightmare to watch for the most part. Heads up challenges help with that, but I still don’t think it’s a game that’s all that fun to watch someone play for the average person.

Most kids that get into pinball are into it because their parents are. So just make babies and force your love of pinball onto them.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#34 2 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Maybe because he says dumb stuff about things he doesn’t understand?

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Most kids that get into pinball are into it because their parents are. So just make babies and force your love of pinball onto them.

That's what worked for me!

#36 2 years ago

So glad Karl Urban was the difference maker in making Star Trek such a hit.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

The extreme popularity of eSports and streaming has shown that gaming can have enormous popularity and appeal. I believe that it's time for pinball to go mainstream as well. There are a number of things that need to be changed about the hobby for that to happen, though.
Do you have ideas? Share them in this thread. I'll get the ball rolling.
Celebrity involvement
I didn’t think so.
If pinball is really to take hold, the public needs to be shown the way! This is where celebrities come in. We need big ones, though. Especially ones that will appeal to younger audiences. I hate to say it, but someone like Jake Paul from Youtube or Pete Davidson from SNL could be exactly what we need.
Let’s get some contemporary music represented.
I’ll give Stern credit on the Marvel pins—we need more of that kind of thinking! Who was in charge of approving things like The Munsters or Godzilla? How many people who watched the Munsters are buying machines? Let’s get more machines that are taken from shows and movies of the day. The most popular show of 2021 was YellowStone. That would make a GREAT game. You could make a game for the academy award winner of every year too.
Does anyone else have any ideas? Let’s get the conversation started now.

Colbert sucks

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Check out the High Speed 20K thread. Moparjoe .6

#39 2 years ago

There's a logistical problem you'd have to solve as well. Machines are heavy, bulky and take up a lot of space. You can't expect pinball to become mainstream if it's like dealing with an appliance.

I think arcade1up and others have done some interesting things in this space with 3/4 cabs and the use of mdf. However, they lost the feel of a real machine and nudging is a little bit of risk to slide the whole machine easily.

Not sure how you'd solve this problem with all the constraints but in a day and age where most other entertainment mediums are portable you'd have a hard time going mainstream with the current state of machines.

#40 2 years ago

Nah. He's one of the funniest people on television actually.

#41 2 years ago

Tens of people agree with you. About Colbert, and your idea to market Pinball.

#42 2 years ago

No thanks, fuck the mainstream

#43 2 years ago

Another brand new account posting troll bait. Let me guess. The author is BallPin's uncle Marc...

Good call on using the French spelling!

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

There’s no excuse for the prices that Stern is charging,

Good thing you have all the information and fully understand Stern's cost structure and overhead.
Also, good thing that Stern does not need an excuse to set pricing where people are buying at a rate that has created a months long production backlog.

Also, if pinball goes "mainstream" with "celebrity" support, I'm out.

#45 2 years ago

Pinball was mainstream once or twice in the past. it's not happening again.

It's too expensive, they're too big, they're too expensive, they're too heavy, and they're too expensive.

Also, they're too expensive.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Must be opposite day in Unknownsville.

#47 2 years ago

No thank you. Pinball used to be a somewhat off the beaten path hobby. It has gotten more mainstream as of late and aside from the technological advances with led's and better processing power, I would argue that pinball has not gotten better for it. Prices have gotten higher, folks buying games not to play them but to collect the for theme alone, people being neurotic about how "Limited" their addition of a machine is and then bitch about anything that affects the value of it (be it a topper, a dumb sticker or a remake), not even going to bring up the flipping of games. It is not the same hobby as it was and it is regrettable. What you're suggesting would further erode an enjoyable and somewhat affordable hobby from what it once was. The prices of machines from the manufacturers won't go down (they currently have the unenviable task of making pinball machines in the this supply chain/covid era). The last thing I care to hear about is some instagrammer/influencer babbling on about pinball. No thank you. It is fine (err. . . good enough) as it is.

#48 2 years ago

OP, I understand the sentiment and why you are promulgating this idea, but it would have been a lot better received in 2012!

At this juncture, when prices are increasing, long lead-times are the norm, and it’s a perpetual mad dash to secure a new game, I’d say pinball is plenty “mainstream” enough as it is!

In fact, if it gets any MORE mainstream, everything will start sinking to the lowest common denominator as even the “good guys” join the race to the bottom, and the hobby will ultimately die with a pitiful whimper, crushed beneath the weight of its own mediocrity (and a landfill’s worth of discarded cost-cut flipper mechs and ink-jet printed MDF playfields).

Quoted from jackd104:

I want to see pinball proliferate and on one hand I empathize with your sentiment. On the other hand, nothing great in this world is mainstream. If pinball started feeling like watching the New Years Rockin Eve with Ryan Seacrest, I would be very sad.

This is so true it almost hurts!

No better way to strip all passion and joy out of something than to sanitize it into universal inoffensiveness.

Imagine your disappointment when Metallica went “soft” and suddenly became palatable your girlfriend, the local AOR program director, your English teacher, and maybe even your mother, then shudder at the thought of the equivalent happening to this hobby!

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

He’s as good as Trevor Noah!

#50 2 years ago

If only all the networks had someone as funny as Gutfeld!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 65.99
$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-make-pinball-mainstream?hl=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.