Webp.net-gifmaker(1).gif
giphy.gif
trolling-is-an-fe7217c6df.jpg
giphy.gif
black-widow-such.gif
CCA7EF71-5B65-4F56-B61B-C6886C50DD80.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
C8D65543-CA62-4353-A7D6-860873BCE318 (resized).jpeg
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I want to be ITBL but I also hope this goes a while. Good stuff!

It's got the makings of a " Best of Pinside " thread.

IBTL

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

He put drinks on the machines at a private home tournament then pissed and moaned that he deserved his money back after getting ejected for being a terrible sport?
This dude is toxic, surely there’s a beware in his local pinball community, what a nightmare!

Not to derail, but I did end up getting my money back and an apology to-boot.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

You mean like at a bowling alley or movie theater? Or corner drug store? Or pizza parlor? Or what if, instead of a bunch of machines at a barcade with a bunch of drunks, they could NOT serve alcohol, and just call it an arcade instead?
I'm sorry you're so young to have missed when pinball actually was mainstream, because this magical world you pine for is still alive, but only in the memories of those of us that were there. The people you're arguing with right now are the reason it's still here today.

Honestly this sounds amazing and is exactly what I'm talking about. I think that it illustrates my point perfectly: pinball is more in the mainstream when the machines are placed in locations that are more inclusive and that everyone can have access to. I guess my question for you would be: with the widespread appeal in those days why did it fade away? I imagine that the price increases over the years had something to do with it.

#103 2 years ago

They're still out there, you just have to search for them.

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"74a9048a551d1d86f4daeefa9099178e081ea035-1641776059-1800"};
//]]>

Honestly this sounds amazing and is exactly what I'm talking about. I think that it illustrates my point perfectly: pinball is more in the mainstream when the machines are placed in locations that are more inclusive and that everyone can have access to. I guess my question for you would be: with the widespread appeal in those days why did it fade away? I imagine that the price increases over the years had something to do with it.

They stopped making money. Other amusement devices that required way less maintenance made way more money.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Not to derail, but I did end up getting my money back and an apology

and the-boot

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They stopped making money. Other amusement devices that required way less maintenance made way more money.

It's a shame that one of the biggest problems with late-stage capitalism is that everything has to be about making money.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

It's a shame that one of the biggest problems with late-stage capitalism is that everything has to be about making money.

Yeah it would be awesome if arcades were just willing to lose money hand over fist for the greater good of pinball, but sadly, nobody’s willing to jump on that sword let alone 1000s of times to make pinball mainstream.

Everything that’s mainstream in any era makes lots of money.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Everything that’s mainstream in any era makes lots of money.

DESTROY EVERYTHING

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

No one has ever heard of Ed Robertson and Slash doesn't appeal to a modern audience. We're trying to grow the sport, bud.

?

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Holy smokes, this is the guy who slam tilted and kicked a machine at a tournament?!? He put drinks on the machines at a private home tournament then pissed and moaned that he deserved his money back after getting ejected for being a terrible sport?
This dude is toxic, surely there’s a beware in his local pinball community, what a nightmare!

Yes that’s the one. He gives Lords a bad name…

#111 2 years ago

Tetsuo has entered the chat.

IBTL!!!

#112 2 years ago

This is a troll account right?

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I don’t believe that for a second. And neither would anyone else who read the thread you started about it.

Have not cooled off even a little in 6 months either. What the hell you been doing in all that time?

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I don’t believe that for a second. And neither would anyone else who read the thread you started about it.
Have not cooled off even a little in 6 months either. What the hell you been doing in all that time?

Probably been watching Colbert, which is not funny. I'd be pissed too.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Honestly this sounds amazing and is exactly what I'm talking about. I think that it illustrates my point perfectly: pinball is more in the mainstream when the machines are placed in locations that are more inclusive and that everyone can have access to.

Yeah, it was called the 80's and it's never coming back.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

late-stage capitalism

Or "the real world" as those of us who live there call it.

#117 2 years ago

Still not locked? Ok IBTL

#118 2 years ago

Celebrities? LOL, I was just reading today about how giving a crap what celebrities say or do correlates with lower intelligence.

And deeproot tried to make games cheaper by losing money, but that doggone SEC got in the way due to them doing it with other people's money.

IBTL!

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

You been watching too much Star Trek? In what world do arcades (or anything) exist without someone paying for it? Late stage capitalism… what?

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Celebrities? LOL, I was just reading today about how giving a crap what celebrities say or do correlates with lower intelligence.

I tend to agree. Especially if you have any interest or regard for these so called "reality TV celebrities".

#121 2 years ago

I stopped playing pinball, around the time that my computer would allow me to play much more intense games online, and interacting with other players around the world in what was called MPORG. I was able to buy a house, then castle in the virtual world. I gathered coins by killing online monsters in dungeons and doing treasure hunts with others. It consumed a whole generation day and night. It ruined many a marriage, relationship and job opportunities with the amount of time it sucked out of your soul. I miss it sometimes, but it was a serious addiction and still is to many. I did not like the first person shooter games however.
What I am trying to say, is that suddenly a whole generation of pinball players had something else to occupy their time and it did not require traveling to an arcade and have a pocket full of quarters, only to find out your favorite game was dirty, broken and misused by someone with anger issues.

#122 2 years ago

A lot of the attraction to pinball is that it isn't mainstream.

But meanwhile back in the 90s suits were required to play pinball...

#123 2 years ago

I think most posters here are over the age of 50 . And most people who buy EM, SS games are definitely 50 plus .

I bet the average age of a NIB buyer is over 50 .

#124 2 years ago

The celebrity is a person who is known for his well-knownness.

Daniel J. Boorstin

#125 2 years ago

Agree 100 % started playing pinball in the 60s as a kid. They were banned in my State . My Dad knew them as gambling devises. Out of State would play them once in a great while . Atlantic City when Dad was not looking on the Boardwalk. Finally in 1972 they started appearing in my State. Still the police actually raided the little pinball parlors. Finally legal we would take our gf there , in high school they would tolerate it . 99 per cent of my friends cared less about them or played them once a year. Only a few of us were devotees. Pinball places sprang up but eventually went out. Even today when I see an arcade it may only have 1 or 2 pinball machines in it.

Quoted from the9gman:

Pinball started out as a grift .....a way to get your money into its coffers. Then it was banned and eventually flippers were added but it was still a grift.
Today in a lot of places its still a grift a way to make money or an attraction to pull customers in. For most people its fun for a while and on occasion but they like it but they don't love it. In days past the only ones that loved it were those of us that knew how to beat the system and played well enough that you could rack up 15 games on a machine and sell them for a profit ....Now days it's all about tornaments and score and flashy things to impress people with in the game room.....it's a niche hobby and always will be ....its like the old satellite systems that had 10 foot dishes in the yard .....no one really wanted one in their yard until they became smaller and provided more value.....how do you make pinball take up a smaller footprint with more value.....you don't and you can't therefore it will always be a niche market

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I want to be ITBL but I also hope this goes a while. Good stuff!

The gifs are what made the imamaculate thread live so long.

CCA7EF71-5B65-4F56-B61B-C6886C50DD80.gifCCA7EF71-5B65-4F56-B61B-C6886C50DD80.gif

#127 2 years ago

"Late stage capitalism..." ahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

#128 2 years ago

So…you’ve made a point that you think pinball should be more mainstream, but haven’t made a case (or even an explanation) for WHY? What benefit would being more popular provide?
So games could cost even more (popular things with celebrity endorsements don’t become magically cheaper)?
Or become even more limited when the ‘haves’ start throwing money at it (which is currently happening and would only get worse)?
Do you think pinball would somehow become a spectator sport making those with the skills to play well rich and famous?

The only benefit to the current increase in popularity I’ve seen is that the are more members in our leagues and tournaments, which is great. I’ve met some cool peeps there and at shows, which are well attended and a lot of fun. But in your world aren’t good enough unless they become like San Diego ComicCon? But that kind of popularity would be less sustainable if it becomes the ‘next big thing’. If you’ve seen what the last PinBurgh ticket rush was like, you’d know that ‘more popularity’ would not have helped. Growth does not always equal ‘better’.

And I think we all have thoughts on hobbies that became ‘mainstream’ and killed it (POGs, Beanie Baby collecting, Pokémon Go, hoverboards,…). There are few hobbies that sustain over decades and pinball is one of them. You’re trying to fix something that isn’t broken.

#129 2 years ago

Sorry, we don’t need a Kardashian pinball.. I’m having a hard enough time keeping up with it all already.

#130 2 years ago

Guys, stop taking Kaned.. I mean Ballpi.. I mean Marc seriously. You're feeding Pinside's biggest and oldest troll.

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Sorry, we don’t need a Kardashian pinball.. I’m having a hard enough time keeping up with it all already.

I would totally play it.
Two ball multi ball that when you drain and after you loose your balls, the next mode is called Caitlyn Jenner.
Kim Kardashian bash toy where you continually bash the balls into her giant ass.
Sounds like tons of fun to me.

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

He’s as good as Trevor Noah!

Only in America could both of these guys have their own shows.

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I would totally play it.
Two ball multi ball that when you drain and after you loose your balls, the next mode is called Caitlyn Jenner.
Kim Kardashian bash toy where you continually bash the balls into her giant ass.
Sounds like tons of fun to me.

LMFAO

#134 2 years ago

Maybe these genius, exciting and original new ideas for increasing pinball sales should be sent directly to Jody Dankberg - Senior Director of Licensing and New Business Development at Stern Pinball, Inc. This is could just be the beginning of pinball's future dominance in worldwide cultural domination. Move over football, soccer, hockey, basketball, car racing, skiing, golf and tennis, there is a new sport in town!

#135 2 years ago

Maybe a really famous band could write a song about pinball that they could play on the radio every day for like 50 years since that has never happened?

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:

Maybe a really famous band could write a song about pinball that they could play on the radio every day for like 50 years since that has never happened?

Oh come on, WHO would ever do that...?

#138 2 years ago

The thought of this hobby going mainstream makes me cringe. I don't need nor want a niche hobby that I like and enjoy to be mainstream.

I can't imagine Tiktokers getting on board with and discussing pinball.

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Your collection is second to none

He is waiting for UltraMan #500...

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

I miss read this... thought you said "I'm having a hard enough time keeping it up already" LOL

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

No one has ever heard of Ed Robertson and Slash doesn't appeal to a modern audience. We're trying to grow the sport, bud.

Dude, you are on a roll man. Might want to stop posting for a bit.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from bane:

The celebrity is a person who is known for his well-knownness.
Daniel J. Boorstin

Wow. I'll bet this line really gets a record-scratch effect at a party.

Either that or crickets.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

The extreme popularity of eSports and streaming has shown that gaming can have enormous popularity and appeal. I believe that it's time for pinball to go mainstream as well. There are a number of things that need to be changed about the hobby for that to happen, though.
Do you have ideas? Share them in this thread. I'll get the ball rolling.
Celebrity involvement
Quick quiz: can anyone even name a celebrity who endorses pinball?
I didn’t think so.
If pinball is really to take hold, the public needs to be shown the way! This is where celebrities come in. We need big ones, though. Especially ones that will appeal to younger audiences. I hate to say it, but someone like Jake Paul from Youtube or Pete Davidson from SNL could be exactly what we need.
Games need to get cheaper
There’s no excuse for the prices that Stern is charging, and the smaller companies are charging even more! It’s time for these prices to come down for the good of the sport.
Machines need to appeal to a younger audience
For example: lets talk about the “rock” games that have been put out lately. Hopefully we can agree that Led Zepplin and the Beatles are all-time great bands, but it doesn’t appeal to a younger crowd. And don’t even get me started on Rush!
Let’s get some contemporary music represented.
I’ll give Stern credit on the Marvel pins—we need more of that kind of thinking! Who was in charge of approving things like The Munsters or Godzilla? How many people who watched the Munsters are buying machines? Let’s get more machines that are taken from shows and movies of the day. The most popular show of 2021 was YellowStone. That would make a GREAT game. You could make a game for the academy award winner of every year too.
Does anyone else have any ideas? Let’s get the conversation started now.

Sadly, your 10 years away from this kind of post. Too many 50+ folks still involved and funding pinball. You are actually 50% wrong and 50% right.

Where you are wrong, there are plenty of "modern" pins, AIQ, Deadpool, Mandalorian, Stranger Things, TMNT.

Where you are right, there are still FAR too many older themes being made by Stern and completely ignoring mainstream popularity unless it's Disney.

If Stern was serious about Modern IP (non Disney!) there would be more modern pins like Battlestar Galactica(the new one), John Wick, Equalizer, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, Eminem, DMX, Harry Potter, Anime series(Dragon Ball, Naruto, etc), Big Bang Theory, Fast and the Furious, Men in Black, Halo (video game universe), King Kong skull island, Lego Batman Movie, Tomb Raider, The Witcher, God of War, Warhammer Universe, Wonder Woman, Resident Evil...I could go on. Stern really lacks "video game" themes, which is where the 35 year old generation further relates (e.g. Halo, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, The Witcher)...amazing pinball themes. Regardless, What does everything I said have in common? All that stuff speaks to older millennials (new money). Stern isn't after that yet. That generation doesn't have a big voice yet with companies like Stern. If they did, there would 100% already be a Harry Potter or Fast & Furious pin at least.

However, man you are on Pinside lol. You aren't going to convince folks Stern's "1960 Godzilla" and "Rush" theme(s) are outdated. So just wait it out until Stern releases something decent again.

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

If Stern was serious about Modern IP (non Disney!) there would be more modern pins like Battlestar Galactica(the new one), John Wick, Equalizer, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, Eminem, DMX, Harry Potter, Anime series(Dragon Ball, Naruto, etc), Big Bang Theory, Fast and the Furious, Men in Black, Halo (video game universe), King Kong skull island, Lego Batman Movie, Tomb Raider, The Witcher, God of War, Warhammer Universe, Wonder Woman, Resident Evil...I could go on. Stern really lacks "video game" themes, which is where the 35 year old generation further relates (e.g. Halo, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, The Witcher)...amazing pinball themes. Regardless, What does everything I said have in common? All that stuff speaks to older millennials (new money). Stern isn't after that yet. That generation doesn't have a big voice yet with companies like Stern. If they did, there would 100% already be a Harry Potter or Fast & Furious pin at least.

Wow, these are your modern IPs? This is laughable. I agree that Stern should really explore a solid video game license like Halo. But Maroon 5? Linkin Park? Big Bang Theory?! lol.

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:Dude, you are on a roll man. Might want to stop posting for a bit.

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Wow. I'll bet this line really gets a record-scratch effect at a party.
Either that or crickets.

So glad advice not taken. Another day of "idiot vs. the internet" is more than i could hope for.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Wow, these are your modern IPs? This is laughable. I agree that Stern should really explore a solid video game license like Halo. But Maroon 5? Linkin Park? lol.

I don't like those bands at all lol, but unfortunately people do. Hence why I put them on.. That's "modern" rock. They are top 5 on any modern billiard you look at. State of affairs lol.

As far as Big Bang Theory. This is a prime example of bias history. Who would of thought Munsters was a good pinball? How in the * is Munsters any different than Big Bang Theory. Modern day sitcom..clearly popular with 13+ seasons. Simple science experiment/astronomy theme with Sheldon/Leonard voice over. Again a theme like that doesn't work now, but in 2040 it does for nostalgic reasons...hence Munsters. My list was examples of things (like it or not) real people are into like my wife. Half her problem with pinball is she hates half the themes. She only plays my Mando for that very reason. She won't even touch my Maiden, which is one of the best shooting Sterns ever and I'm "ok" with the theme. She won't touch it. I'm more open minded.

Regardless, that's what the OPs point simply was...themes matter...but folks on here are getting what they want (a bunch of old stuff), so they don't care about mainstream opinions.

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I don't like those bands at all lol, but unfortunately people do. Hence why I put them on.. That's "modern" rock. They are top 5 on any modern billiard you look at. State of affairs lol.

Sorry but this is just a really lazy way of looking at themes for pinball machines. Let's take a look at a top 100 list and pick some bands. No thanks. Dumb idea.

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Wow, these are your modern IPs? This is laughable. I agree that Stern should really explore a solid video game license like Halo. But Maroon 5? Linkin Park? Big Bang Theory?! lol.

They might not necessarily be to your or my taste, but the fact of the matter is that these things are wildly popular. If we're expanding the base of pinball, we shouldn't just laugh off things that are in the cultural zeitgeist just because we think they are beneath us.

I mean what is wrong with having titles out there that don't exactly line up with your subjective tastes? I wasn't around when the Munsters was a television show, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the game.

#150 2 years ago

Pinball IS mainstream compared to the dark times of 2000 to 2005. Every new game that came out back then really seemed like it would be the last. You could seriously not even find a pinball machine on location in those days and if you did you were morally obligated to post the location online. The hobby was so small compared to how it is today it's almost surreal. The one benefit was you could get pretty much any system 11 or wpc game for under a grand

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.99
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-make-pinball-mainstream/page/3?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.