Webp.net-gifmaker(1).gif
giphy.gif
trolling-is-an-fe7217c6df.jpg
giphy.gif
black-widow-such.gif
CCA7EF71-5B65-4F56-B61B-C6886C50DD80.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
C8D65543-CA62-4353-A7D6-860873BCE318 (resized).jpeg
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Gameseum:

I can tell from the style of writing that this post smells like Andrew MacBain/Pinball Adventures/Punny Factory. Just a crazy hunch I have. Hit me like a bus when I entered the thread.
Or maybe Kaneda.
Actually, probably Kaneda.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kaneda-is-back-501-airing-now/page/19#post-6365554 .

It’s probably Otaku! How was your Halloween?

#52 2 years ago

I love when people who have no idea what they’re talking about find a soapbox.

#53 2 years ago

Pinball started out as a grift .....a way to get your money into its coffers. Then it was banned and eventually flippers were added but it was still a grift.
Today in a lot of places its still a grift a way to make money or an attraction to pull customers in. For most people its fun for a while and on occasion but they like it but they don't love it. In days past the only ones that loved it were those of us that knew how to beat the system and played well enough that you could rack up 15 games on a machine and sell them for a profit ....Now days it's all about tornaments and score and flashy things to impress people with in the game room.....it's a niche hobby and always will be ....its like the old satellite systems that had 10 foot dishes in the yard .....no one really wanted one in their yard until they became smaller and provided more value.....how do you make pinball take up a smaller footprint with more value.....you don't and you can't therefore it will always be a niche market

#54 2 years ago

Pinside should nuke all the <1 year peeps. We'll lose a few good folks but imagine the paridise thereafter.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Pinside should nuke all the <1 year peeps. We'll lose a few good folks but imagine the paridise thereafter.

War declared upon the Noobs!!!!

#56 2 years ago

Yeah! It would be a wonderland of six year veterans who can't even spell paradise talking about the hip band Rush.

#57 2 years ago

Sport? I have read a few people using the word sport in this thread. Are you considering pinball a sport?

#58 2 years ago

Your collection is second to none

#59 2 years ago

That would mean no new people and that’s not good.

Otherwise you are just kicking the can down the road and your going to have the same complaints about the same users who are at the 1 year mark since they’ve been waiting you out.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Yeah! It would a wonderland of six year veterans who can't even spell paradise talking about the hip band Rush.

I’ll happily take that over threads like this.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I’ll happily that that over threads like this.

I think you're missing a word there, chief

#62 2 years ago

FORCEFLOW UNLEASH ME

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Sorry. Autocorrect got the best of me while I had one eye on the tv and the other responding to the dumbest thread of 2022 so far.

#64 2 years ago

pinball a sport , just can't imagine all the training and physical training that would go into that ....imagine the finger exercises, would be brutal.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

It would a wonderland of six year veterans who can't even spell

You may BE missing a word as well.

#66 2 years ago
tenor.giftenor.gif
#67 2 years ago

Pinside is so fun!

#68 2 years ago

There's a few things that could help boost its popularity, if that's even an issue. Some of these suggestions may turn off current fans, but it doesn't have to be either/or. These things can happen without displacing the things we like about pinball currently.

1. Get it in places other than bars so that younger people will get interested. Host youth tournaments as well. Make it a social activity to get teens out of the house and interact with others. (I know mine needs to)
2. Themes that younger people will be interested in. I wouldn't go super young, but more of the 14-24 year old age group. This is always going to be challenging as what's popular is constantly changing.
3. More digital features in games. It occurs to me that Insider Connected is a huge step in this direction. It adds a lot of interest and replay value to be able to record your scores and play for achievements.
4. Official digital pinball tables to make home ownership more accessible. I would never say that digital=real pinball but it sure is an appealing thought to have a digital cabinet that can play all your favorite games for around $1000-$1500. I doubt this would ever displace physical games or even take a bite out of the market for them. I'll always prefer the physical game but not everyone can buy one.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Oh… the irony.

#70 2 years ago

I suspect the best way to make pinball more popular is probably to unleash a very contagious, mutating virus, and then make people stay in their homes for a couple of years.

Maybe someone should take a look at Stern's books?

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Most kids that get into pinball are into it because their parents are. So just make babies and force your love of pinball onto them.

+1, I created 4 little pinball loving curtain crawlers. Now at 24,23,20 and 18 they still all love to flip and got a few of their significant others flipping as well.

#72 2 years ago

Would absolutely love Gryszz' take on this thread . Maybe if he creatively used quotation marks and replaced a few choice words with alternative selections?

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Login as Ballpin so that you can double insult everyone and support your own arguments. It'll keep the thread alive!

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Would absolutely love Gryszz' take on this thread

It's the thought that counts. And most of us know what he's thinking.
His way of expressing that would likely be entertaining though.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

The extreme popularity of eSports and streaming has shown that gaming can have enormous popularity and appeal. I believe that it's time for pinball to go mainstream as well. There are a number of things that need to be changed about the hobby for that to happen, though.
Do you have ideas? Share them in this thread. I'll get the ball rolling.
Celebrity involvement
Quick quiz: can anyone even name a celebrity who endorses pinball?
I didn’t think so.
If pinball is really to take hold, the public needs to be shown the way! This is where celebrities come in. We need big ones, though. Especially ones that will appeal to younger audiences. I hate to say it, but someone like Jake Paul from Youtube or Pete Davidson from SNL could be exactly what we need.
Games need to get cheaper
There’s no excuse for the prices that Stern is charging, and the smaller companies are charging even more! It’s time for these prices to come down for the good of the sport.
Machines need to appeal to a younger audience
For example: lets talk about the “rock” games that have been put out lately. Hopefully we can agree that Led Zepplin and the Beatles are all-time great bands, but it doesn’t appeal to a younger crowd. And don’t even get me started on Rush!
Let’s get some contemporary music represented.
I’ll give Stern credit on the Marvel pins—we need more of that kind of thinking! Who was in charge of approving things like The Munsters or Godzilla? How many people who watched the Munsters are buying machines? Let’s get more machines that are taken from shows and movies of the day. The most popular show of 2021 was YellowStone. That would make a GREAT game. You could make a game for the academy award winner of every year too.
Does anyone else have any ideas? Let’s get the conversation started now.

Nice job of trolling. Looks like you've covered all the usual bases about this hobby except the part where you tell us we also need more "innovation" in pinball. Maybe Stern (after lowering prices drastically) can figure out a way to turn pinball into a video game and then link it up to the internet? That way we can tweet and flip at the same damn time. If that doesn't get the attention of the mainstream and TMZ, nothing will.

#76 2 years ago

Don't think it will ever become mainstream. Pinball machines take up a fair amount of space, and they only play one game. On the video game side, people like the multicades that play 60+ games in the same cabinet footprint. Dedicated cabinets don't appeal to the younger crowd.

#77 2 years ago
giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif
#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Nice job of trolling. Looks like you've covered all the usual bases about this hobby except the part where you tell us we also need more "innovation" in pinball. Maybe Stern (after lowering prices drastically) can figure out a way to turn pinball into a video game and then link it up to the internet. That way we can tweet and flip at the same damn time. If that doesn't get the attention of the mainstream and TMZ, nothing will.

I love the snarky attitude you're copping just because I thought it would be informative to talk about making pinball more popular. I'm not out there saying there's a lack of innovation at all, but hey, if you need to make up a strawman argument to make your point (which was what again?) go buck wild with it.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I love the snarky attitude you're copping just because I thought it would be informative to talk about making pinball more popular. I'm not out there saying there's a lack of innovation at all, but hey, if you need to make up a strawman argument to make your point (which was what again?) go buck wild with it.

I see from your limited history that You're very good at starting topics that do nothing but troll Pinside. Unfortunately your reading comprehension for posts responding to said topics, is weak.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I see from your limited history that You're very good at starting topics that do nothing but troll Pinside. Unfortunately your reading comprehension for posts responding to said topics, is weak.

Well thanks for sharing that with us, top dog, and thanks for being the Pinball content cop the world needs.

I guess next time I start a thread, I should message Honch to make sure it's a topic that he is willing to discuss or he might lash out at me again with his brutal takedowns. Here's an idea: if you have already discussed a topic or just aren't interested in it, just don't visit the thread

#81 2 years ago

Pinlord hit us with some screenshots of your GCs.
I mean, as Pinlord, you must have an assload.
Or are an assload. Either/or.
ASSLORD

#82 2 years ago

IBTL

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

BURN!

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

FORCEFLOW UNLEASH ME

Poser disposer!

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Well thanks for sharing that with us, top dog, and thanks for being the Pinball content cop the world needs.
I guess next time I start a thread, I should message Honch to make sure it's a topic that he is willing to discuss or he might lash out at me again with his brutal takedowns. Here's an idea: if you have already discussed a topic or just aren't interested in it, just don't visit the thread

You're a little thin skinned for a troll, don't ya think? And yes, If you wouldn't mind, check with me first, that would be great? Thanks

#87 2 years ago

I apologize thought this was the unpopular opinion thread

#88 2 years ago

This is impressive. I think you’re going to go 3/3.

C8D65543-CA62-4353-A7D6-860873BCE318 (resized).jpegC8D65543-CA62-4353-A7D6-860873BCE318 (resized).jpeg
#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:I apologise,I thought this was the unpopular opinion thread

It is, but I guess it’s still simmering

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

This is impressive. I think you’re going to go 3/3.
[quoted image]

Holy smokes, this is the guy who slam tilted and kicked a machine at a tournament?!? He put drinks on the machines at a private home tournament then pissed and moaned that he deserved his money back after getting ejected for being a terrible sport?
This dude is toxic, surely there’s a beware in his local pinball community, what a nightmare!

#91 2 years ago

Finally, in before lock.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Holy smokes, this is the guy who slam tilted and kicked a machine at a tournament?!? He put drinks on the machines at a private home tournament then pissed and moaned that he deserved his money back after getting ejected for being a terrible sport?
This dude is toxic, surely there’s a beware in his local pinball community, what a nightmare!

This guy is either a self-unaware asshole or a troll. Either way... mods, just lock this thread before it spirals out of control (see the other two threads he started)

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyBallerton:

There's a few things that could help boost its popularity, if that's even an issue. Some of these suggestions may turn off current fans, but it doesn't have to be either/or. These things can happen without displacing the things we like about pinball currently.
1. Get it in places other than bars so that younger people will get interested. Host youth tournaments as well. Make it a social activity to get teens out of the house and interact with others. (I know mine needs to)
2. Themes that younger people will be interested in. I wouldn't go super young, but more of the 14-24 year old age group. This is always going to be challenging as what's popular is constantly changing.
3. More digital features in games. It occurs to me that Insider Connected is a huge step in this direction. It adds a lot of interest and replay value to be able to record your scores and play for achievements.
4. Official digital pinball tables to make home ownership more accessible. I would never say that digital=real pinball but it sure is an appealing thought to have a digital cabinet that can play all your favorite games for around $1000-$1500. I doubt this would ever displace physical games or even take a bite out of the market for them. I'll always prefer the physical game but not everyone can buy one.

Quoting this because there are some really good ideas in here. I think that putting machines in places other than bars would be a great way to get people playing more. I hate having to always go to a place where it might get crowded with noisy drunk people while me and my friends are just trying to play. There's one bar we play at that gets really packed after work and people are constantly bumping into you/ the machines.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I hate having to always go to a place where it might get crowded with noisy drunk people while me and my friends are just trying to play. There's one bar we play at that gets really packed after work and people are constantly bumping into you/ the machines.

That totally sucks. I can’t imagine going to a bar where people show up. One time I was at a bar and I had to talk loudly to my buddy cause there was so many people there making noise. It was a nightmare

#95 2 years ago

I know, I know..(says with sarcasm) how about a Kardashian pinball with their baby daddies. Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn Jenner pinball? Rich Bored Housewives of any City pinball. Fixxer Upper your house pinball? RuPaul drag race Pinball? SpongeBob anyone?

I would really really like a Brittany Spears VS Christina Aguilera VS Miley Cyrus Pinball. Wrecking ball has already been done? What? Word...

How about a Politicians that have been in office too long and made Millions of Tax Payers Pinball. Like Whack a Mole maybe.

#96 2 years ago

In before the lock.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

In before the lock.

Me too.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I think that putting machines in places other than bars would be a great way to get people playing more. I hate having to always go to a place where it might get crowded with noisy drunk people while me and my friends are just trying to play. There's one bar we play at that gets really packed after work and people are constantly bumping into you/ the machines.

You mean like at a bowling alley or movie theater? Or corner drug store? Or pizza parlor? Or what if, instead of a bunch of machines at a barcade with a bunch of drunks, they could NOT serve alcohol, and just call it an arcade instead?

I'm sorry you're so young to have missed when pinball actually was mainstream, because this magical world you pine for is still alive, but only in the memories of those of us that were there. The people you're arguing with right now are the reason it's still here today.

#99 2 years ago

I want to be ITBL but I also hope this goes a while. Good stuff!

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You mean like at a bowling alley or movie theater? Or corner drug store? Or pizza parlor?

Or a barber shop, or a five and dime store, or hotel lobby, or pretty much anywhere people would pass through?
It was a magical thing finding a new game in some random public place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.99
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-make-pinball-mainstream/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.